Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.

When did he start calling himself "shadow foreign secretary" in his bio lmao

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

Tonight Matthew, I'm going to be.......Peter Sutcliffe!

CGI Stardust
Nov 7, 2010

Brexit is but a door,
election time is but a window.

I'll be back

His new career: playing trombone in a function band

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Fedule posted:

chuka dot org dot uk

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

lol pigfucker's book is apparently facing minimal pre-orders and remain-majority area booksellers refusing to stock it https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2019/sep/13/for-the-record-signs-of-trouble-before-david-cameron-book-hits-shelves

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
https://twitter.com/MarkDiStef/status/1172441571343532032?s=19

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

Fedule posted:

HAhaha

i had to go check this was real

i loving love chuka hes deffo one of my fav characters

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

Tesseraction posted:

lol pigfucker's book is apparently facing minimal pre-orders and remain-majority area booksellers refusing to stock it https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2019/sep/13/for-the-record-signs-of-trouble-before-david-cameron-book-hits-shelves

its loving 25 quid too!

thered better be some incredibly spicy pig head goss in there

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

Fedule posted:

It’s not even right, the Shadow Cabinet is a specific function, not just ‘the person we would have as X position if we were in power’. I mean, the Lib Dems aren’t getting that either so even having a post like that is just showboating.

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Dead Goon posted:

I always pick the leaflets up when I go sign on so it looks like I give a poo poo, but I've never been to one.

Guavanaut posted:

I won three jobs at the hook-a-duck.

Depends on the fair, some of them are just excuses for companies to give away pens and promotional material and others you can actually chat to the people there if there's something that catches your eye and find out whether you'd get on well with it before applying.

coffeetable posted:

the key advantage of job fairs is that there are a people from a hundred industries you know nothing about that are keen to answer your questions. check the website beforehand and make a list of all the companies that you might just tolerate working for. this should be a substantial fraction of the companies. then go to the fair and talk to people from each company on your list, and chuck the ones which are obviously terrible. hopefully you get to the end of it with companies that seem interesting. then send both them and their competitors a job app.

lilljonas posted:

One recruitment secret that doctors hate telling you is that attitude makes a heap of difference. When in doubt, talk to the people at a job fair and look interested. Like, you wouldn't believe how many people apply for jobs and then turn out to not even seem that interested when you call them for interviews. I'd rather have a team member that gels with the group and can adopt than someone who has the perfect educational background.

If it turns out you're unqualified for the job, talk to them about what would be required for you to be qualified. Sometimes there are relatively short job training courses available.

Just having talked to the recruiter can be helpful if you're not ace at writing a resume etc., they might put you in their "special pile" if you hit it off. But they won't do it if you just walk through in silence and take a pen and some candies. Worst case scenario you'll pick up a lot of surface level information about different trades and industries.

Thanks for all the advice. I can really use that. Man I hate job hunting, even in the most basic jobs you have to answer really dumb questions and seem as if stacking shelves is your life's purpose.

Ms Fuchi posted:

There's a lot of animosity towards South Wales in the North (source: am from North Wales). There's a perception that South Wales betrayed the country by dumbing down the language, and by bending over backwards to please the English. So any successful plan for independence would have to include some amount of appeasement to close those old wounds, perhaps including moving the Capital to Aberystwyth as a compromise, and greater economic investment in the North

We have screwed over the gogs a bit, but then Cardiff demands all the money and hates being part of Wales so what can you do.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

Ms Fuchi posted:

There's a lot of animosity towards South Wales in the North (source: am from North Wales). There's a perception that South Wales betrayed the country by dumbing down the language, and by bending over backwards to please the English. So any successful plan for independence would have to include some amount of appeasement to close those old wounds, perhaps including moving the Capital to Aberystwyth as a compromise, and greater economic investment in the North

Well, if they stopped selling Golliwog dolls there, they might have a chance of that getting realised...

Fumble
Sep 4, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 14 days!

NotJustANumber99 posted:

Who drinks beer out of a poncy bottle in a pub anyway?

More than one local pub was caught watering down their drinks in the late 90's, so I got into the habbit of not ordering from the tap.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Love a bit of Holly Willoughby, she's just an all round good lass :allears:

Puntification
Nov 4, 2009

Black Orthodontromancy
The most British Magic

Fun Shoe

Rarity posted:

Just did a great belly laugh at Jo Swinson taking a dump all over "economically conservative, socially liberal" when it's the Lib Dems entire reason for existing.

I've always assumed when people use the phrase "economically conservative, socially liberal" that they are ranking those things in order of importance.

Tesseraction posted:

If it's about how he plowed the hog I will buy it.

Borrovan
Aug 15, 2013

IT IS ME.
🧑‍💼
I AM THERESA MAY

Red Oktober posted:

It’s not even right, the Shadow Cabinet is a specific function, not just ‘the person we would have as X position if we were in power’. I mean, the Lib Dems aren’t getting that either so even having a post like that is just showboating.
It's not just him either, they're all doing it. Anyone have any idea who's supposed to be regulating this poo poo? Seems like it should fall afoul of something, would love to see some "Lib Dems told off by regulators for pretending to be important" headlines (yeh I know but I can dream)

Ms Fuchi posted:

There's a perception that South Wales betrayed the country by dumbing down the language, and by bending over backwards to please the English.

bessantj posted:

We have screwed over the gogs a bit
Would be interested in hearing more about this, am English & live in South Wales & love this country but have never been up North. Looks to my English rear end like the Welsh language is becoming more prevalent, I don't get the perception of anyone trying to please the English, and frankly a bit more economic investment down here would be bloody nice & all.

gently caress Cardiff though

Debbie Does Dagon
Jul 8, 2005

Borrovan posted:

Would be interested in hearing more about this, am English & live in South Wales & love this country but have never been up North. Looks to my English rear end like the Welsh language is becoming more prevalent, I don't get the perception of anyone trying to please the English, and frankly a bit more economic investment down here would be bloody nice & all.

I don't speak much beyond the basic poo poo because :effort: but from what people tell me it's more to do with the words used in South Wales. In South Wales they take English words and give them a Welsh pronunciation, whereas in the North they're more likely to break out a dictionary and use the actual Welsh word for that thing where possible. It's kind of like Spanglish

E: also North Wales is loving beautiful, despite the unfortunate golliwog dolls everywhere

Debbie Does Dagon fucked around with this message at 13:50 on Sep 13, 2019

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Puntification posted:

I've always assumed when people use the phrase "economically conservative, socially liberal" that they are ranking those things in order of importance.
I've normally heard it the other way around; I'm socially liberal, but economically conservative. Which just means "I hate the effects, but the causes are very good."

Best mockery of it I've heard is "I agree with the Latin Kings on social issues, but fiscally I'm more of an Aryan."

(Also it relies on a very Reagan definition of conservative/liberal, classically fiscally conservative would have been protectionism tariffs and and noblesse oblige, and fiscally liberal would have been laissez faire, whereas the people saying that usually mean they are socially and fiscally liberal.)

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Lmao

https://twitter.com/washingtonpost/status/1172480345956147200?s=19

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Puntification posted:

If it's about how he plowed the hog I will buy it.

Reportedly it's a 752 page book that tries to explain how his time in office was justified and he was actually Very Smart to do the referendum then gently caress off.

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Borrovan posted:

Like England Wales has a bit of a south bias (perhaps because the capitol and most of the population is here), much more money gets spent down here and the north is left with scraps. I'm not 100% sure on the language thing, it does get quiet involved. North Welsh is different to South Welsh significantly so in parts. Also in the 19th century some awful, awful South Wales liberals thought it was really neat that Welsh people spoke English and not that lovely Welsh language. Also agree that North Wales is very beautiful, except Wrexham (Wrecsam).

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)
The thing with non-alcoholic beer is that it's basically the same calories for none of the benefit. And yes I know coke and stuff is sugary, but you shouldn't be drinking sugary coke anymore, you child, you infant

Fumble posted:

More than one local pub was caught watering down their drinks in the late 90's, so I got into the habbit of not ordering from the tap.

It's so expensive for what you get, though

Ms Fuchi posted:

I don't speak much beyond the basic poo poo because :effort: but from what people tell me it's more to do with the words used in South Wales. In South Wales they take English words and give them a Welsh pronunciation, whereas in the North they're more likely to break out a dictionary and use the actual Welsh word for that thing where possible. It's kind of like Spanglish

E: also North Wales is loving beautiful, despite the unfortunate golliwog dolls everywhere

LSD vision

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

Tesseraction posted:

I cannot stand IPAs and it freaks my nut to think that people champion a beer that was literally from the colonial times when the UK was colonising countries in order to escape its poo poo food and drink. It's literally in the name!

IPA isn't a sin, it's penance

Borrovan
Aug 15, 2013

IT IS ME.
🧑‍💼
I AM THERESA MAY

Also in 19th century South Wales a bunch of very cool non-liberals got together and hosed up all the bourgeoisie tho. & yeah I guess the North/South investment thing has a lot to do with how people view nations, since England & Wales have been pretty much the same "state" (if still very distinct "nations") for a long time, & South Wales still gets the poo poo end of the stick compared to *cough* other parts of the UK, so I guess it's just my Englishness stopping me from seeing it. Interesting stuff though, thanks.

Anyway, "socially liberal, economically conservative" is just the thinking person's "I'm not racist but"

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Borrovan posted:

Anyway, "socially liberal, economically conservative" is just the thinking person's "I'm not racist but"

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

https://twitter.com/OwenJones84/status/1172497687930949633?s=19

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Ms Fuchi posted:

SixFigureSandwich
Oct 30, 2004
Exciting Lemon
Does Heineken candidate means he'll be kidnapped by mobsters?

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp
Only thing I know about Wales is the famous Wales pretzel. It's quite good.

Tiger Millionaire
Jan 25, 2014

He'll eat your kids and fire your parents!
Owen Jones thinks we all love Heineken up here?

mila kunis
Jun 10, 2011
This was a good read, how the guardian went from adversarial investigative journalism to being yet another rag on the side of the security state:

https://www.dailymaverick.co.za/article/2019-09-11-how-the-uk-security-services-neutralised-the-countrys-leading-liberal-newspaper/

coffeetable
Feb 5, 2006

TELL ME AGAIN HOW GREAT BRITAIN WOULD BE IF IT WAS RULED BY THE MERCILESS JACKBOOT OF PRINCE CHARLES

YES I DO TALK TO PLANTS ACTUALLY
let's be honest, most of wales' value is in donating its best and its brightest to london

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003
My favourite Wales fact is that once on holiday there I went to their Crystal Maze game arena place with one of my schoolfriends and we competed in it and we came 4th that day!

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Ah, I see graphic design is your passion.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting
^^^ I've definitely bought worse postcards than that.

Fumble posted:

Excuse me they weren't watering down their beer, just pioneering low alcohol alternatives.

Socially liberal, economically conservative, I assumed meant I don't care one way or the other about the gay people just don't tax my buy to let property empire.

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

This did not happen. I apologize for my country's garbage media trying to cover for yet another senile old rich white guy

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

TulliusCicero posted:

This did not happen. I apologize for my country's garbage media trying to cover for yet another senile old rich white guy

Oh we're well aware, don't worry

Debbie Does Dagon
Jul 8, 2005

:discourse:

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

Tiger Millionaire posted:

Owen Jones thinks we all love Heineken up here?

He thinks the Tories think that.

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006
does anyone love Heineken? I mean I'll drink it on occasion, sometimes it might even be my first choice if the place doesn't have very many alternatives, but I don't think there's ever been an instance where I see Heineken and think "ah great, that's exactly what I was hoping for"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
The nice thing in Ireland is almost everywhere will have a Guinness or Murphy's so you rarely get backed into drinking that wank water