Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Tiger Millionaire posted:

Owen Jones thinks we all love Heineken up here?

thespaceinvader posted:

He thinks the Tories think that.

It's an old ad campaign or something that Heineken was loved by everyone, so "Heineken candidate" became a political term for someone who appeals to all demographics.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sarah Bellum
Oct 21, 2008

What a lovely, misleading clickbait headline - so much so that barely anyone in the Facebook comments section is falling for it.

I couldn't give a toss about royals but this is a decent charitable endeavour and it doesn't deserve this kind of misrepresentation.

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

Julio Cruz posted:

does anyone love Heineken? I mean I'll drink it on occasion, sometimes it might even be my first choice if the place doesn't have very many alternatives, but I don't think there's ever been an instance where I see Heineken and think "ah great, that's exactly what I was hoping for"

It has a weird playdoh-y aftertaste. It's not great.

And yes I eat playdoh why don't you?

Diet Crack
Jan 15, 2001

Lager is the most disgusting type of beer, ama

Borrovan
Aug 15, 2013

IT IS ME.
🧑‍💼
I AM THERESA MAY

coffeetable posted:

let's be honest, most of wales' value is in donating its best and its brightest to london
...on account of there being no loving jobs here due to lack of infrastructure

mila kunis
Jun 10, 2011

Sarah Bellum posted:

What a lovely, misleading clickbait headline - so much so that barely anyone in the Facebook comments section is falling for it.

I couldn't give a toss about royals but this is a decent charitable endeavour and it doesn't deserve this kind of misrepresentation.

The guardian really is complete trash

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Diet Crack posted:

What's the worst sneeze you've ever done?

kecske
Feb 28, 2011

it's round, like always

Barry Foster posted:

The thing with non-alcoholic beer is that it's basically the same calories for none of the benefit.

Isn't the bulk of the calorific content from the alcohol? Like a quick Google says a bottle of becks is 127 calories and the same size becks blue is 53.

Sarah Bellum
Oct 21, 2008

Julio Cruz posted:

does anyone love Heineken? I mean I'll drink it on occasion, sometimes it might even be my first choice if the place doesn't have very many alternatives, but I don't think there's ever been an instance where I see Heineken and think "ah great, that's exactly what I was hoping for"

Nope. And here in the Netherlands it's the Fosters/Tennants/Harp of lovely beers. It's for tourist traps and cafes/restaurants with a beer tap. In proper bars it would be up against a wide selection of actually good lagers so they don't even bother.

kecske
Feb 28, 2011

it's round, like always

kecske posted:

Isn't the bulk of the calorific content from the alcohol? Like a quick Google says a bottle of becks is 127 calories and the same size becks blue is 53.

e: drinkaware has just taught me that in terms of calories pure alcohol isn't far off from pure fat

Diet Crack
Jan 15, 2001

bessantj posted:

The one where I tried to hold it in during a film then depressurised my ears and couldn’t hear poo poo for 15 minutes

el dingo
Mar 19, 2009

Ogres are like onions

Diet Crack posted:

What's it like being wrong all the time

For reals tho I used to be 'meh' about lager until I got turned on to the quality german stuff

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

As much as I hate all the inequality & the awful welfare policies & the anti-homeless person spikes & all that, beer snobbery is the worst thing of this millennium. Just drink White Lightning by the gallon and get hosed up ffs, you're not drinking wine, you don't need to sound like Jilly Goolden off of Food & Drink. And yes I know White Lightning isn't a beer, I'm not sure it can really be called a cider either, it just is.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

kecske posted:

e: drinkaware has just taught me that in terms of calories pure alcohol isn't far off from pure fat
So's paraffin, but if you drink that you just get the shits. A lot of the ethanol in pure alcohol won't be metabolized into energy, especially if you're drinking the sorts of amounts that someone who's into drinking pure alcohol would normally be, it just gets sweated or pissed out.

Undead Hippo
Jun 2, 2013

Tiger Millionaire posted:

Owen Jones thinks we all love Heineken up here?

Heineken have an advertising slogan, which was being run heavily during the mid 2000s, "Reaching the parts other beers can't reach". In a "hilarious witticism" this was applied to Boris Johnson during his London mayoral campaign, calling him the Tory "Reaching the voters other candidates can't reach"- as a reference to his appeal going across traditional party lines, and his at the time successful shaking of the "Nasty Tories" label, as well as alluding to his laddishness. As is traditional for political witticisms this was neither funny nor insightful at the time, and is now just random jargon.

Bobstar
Feb 8, 2006

KartooshFace, you are not responding efficiently!

Barry Foster posted:

It has a weird playdoh-y aftertaste. It's not great.

And yes I eat playdoh why don't you?

Barry, it says non-toxic!

Also, as a non-drinker, is beer like UK towns/cities, in that there isn't one which won't make somebody say "ewww why would you drink that"?

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Bobstar posted:

Also, as a non-drinker, is beer like UK towns/cities
Yes, alright for weekends but if you're in there for hours every day then you might have a problem.

Feinne
Oct 9, 2007

When you fall, get right back up again.

Bobstar posted:

Also, as a non-drinker, is beer like UK towns/cities, in that there isn't one which won't make somebody say "ewww why would you drink that"?

Yes. For example, I think most IPAs are undrinkable garbage made by flavor criminals intent on one-upping each other in how much goddamn hops they can put into their beverage, but clearly there are people who want that given how goddamn many of them I see so whatever.

Debbie Does Dagon
Jul 8, 2005

Undead Hippo posted:

Heineken have an advertising slogan, which was being run heavily during the mid 2000s, "Reaching the parts other beers can't reach". In a "hilarious witticism" this was applied to Boris Johnson during his London mayoral campaign, calling him the Tory "Reaching the voters other candidates can't reach"- as a reference to his appeal going across traditional party lines, and his at the time successful shaking of the "Nasty Tories" label, as well as alluding to his laddishness. As is traditional for political witticisms this was neither funny nor insightful at the time, and is now just random jargon.

I think "laddishness" is just the polite way of saying that he acts like a twat

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting
If wetherspoons has stopped serving all that european muck, does that mean you can't get a Guinness there any more either?

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

Failed Imagineer posted:

The nice thing in Ireland is almost everywhere will have a Guinness or Murphy's so you rarely get backed into drinking that wank water

The south west is Heineken country, there is a big factory in Cork.
Its the only beer in some pubs.

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Diet Crack posted:

The one where I tried to hold it in during a film then depressurised my ears and couldn’t hear poo poo for 15 minutes

That does sound terrible.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

bessantj posted:

Any that makes you fart out so fast/hard that your ring is sore after.

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

kecske posted:

Yea but alcohol can’t be metabolised into fat so it’s basically a freebie

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

Bobstar posted:

Yep. Mostly because (for example) most lager drinkers hate IPAs and most IPA drinkers hate lager. If you asked just lager/IPA drinkers it's possible that they'd all be OK with a particular one (Peroni seems to be generally popular as lagers go, I don't know enough about IPAs to make a guess at that one).

e: though some people are just naturally contrarian arseholes, so even if you were talking about how you enjoyed breathing air you wouldn't get to the end of the sentence before they were telling you how actually 100% methane is much more refined

Julio Cruz fucked around with this message at 15:15 on Sep 13, 2019

Borrovan
Aug 15, 2013

IT IS ME.
🧑‍💼
I AM THERESA MAY

Beer is unlike UK towns & cities in that you can safely say that poo poo like Tetley's & Greene King IPA is absolute piss safely in the knowledge that some weirdo's not gonna pop out of the woodwork taking a bunch of offence & insisting it's quite nice actually

Also I'm pretty sure nobody'd say bog-standard half-decent bitters like Doom Bar & London Pride are terrible?

Guavanaut posted:

A lot of the ethanol in pure alcohol won't be metabolized into energy
Total aside, I do not know how metabolism works, do alcohol calories count as carbs for my macros? Meathead wisdom seems to be that actually alcohol does not count as anything because it is "empty calories" which can make you fat but magically cannot be burned for energy, which I'm pretty sure violates thermodynamics

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

bessantj posted:

I sneezed while I was eating chili con carne and some of it went up into my sinuses. For the next two days, a small particle of spicy mince would occasionally slip back out of my nasal cavity and down my throat

I win :smug:

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

Bobstar posted:

True, but I still prefer a Cobra or a Birra Moretti

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

When I was first getting into drinking forums user murk said that Heineken was the best beer so I ordered it at the pub and even though all beer tastes like poo poo to me it was all much of a muchness so I stick with it.

But I have a really strong sense of taste so all beer tastes horrible so it really doesn't matter what I get. I just stick with Heineken out of habit.

I think the beer that tastes the least poo poo to me is Kirin, but that's difficult to get ahold of.

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

Borrovan posted:

Total aside, I do not know how metabolism works, do alcohol calories count as carbs for my macros? Meathead wisdom seems to be that actually alcohol does not count as anything because it is "empty calories" which can make you fat but magically cannot be burned for energy, which I'm pretty sure violates thermodynamics

As I understand it the body uses alcohol preferentially for energy but can't be stored, so while alcohol in and of itself won't/can't make you fat, all the other stuff you eat or drink while you're drinking will be stored. So it will make you fat but indirectly

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

Borrovan posted:

Beer is unlike UK towns & cities in that you can safely say that poo poo like Tetley's & Greene King IPA is absolute piss safely in the knowledge that some weirdo's not gonna pop out of the woodwork taking a bunch of offence & insisting it's quite nice actually

you've not been to enough CAMRA meetings

Borrovan posted:

Also I'm pretty sure nobody'd say bog-standard half-decent bitters like Doom Bar & London Pride are terrible?

you've definitely not been to enough CAMRA meetings

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Lager as a concept isn't bad but 99% of the main brands are tepid piss. I can enjoy a slightly poo poo IPA but a bad lager is barely drinkable.

e: Doom Bar's good. gently caress CAMRA.

Tiger Millionaire
Jan 25, 2014

He'll eat your kids and fire your parents!
It's me, I'm the one who loves drinking those double and triple hopped ipas. They taste like tropical juice!

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

Tesseraction posted:

When I was first getting into drinking forums user murk said that Heineken was the best beer so I ordered it at the pub and even though all beer tastes like poo poo to me it was all much of a muchness so I stick with it.

But I have a really strong sense of taste so all beer tastes horrible so it really doesn't matter what I get. I just stick with Heineken out of habit.

I think the beer that tastes the least poo poo to me is Kirin, but that's difficult to get ahold of.

you can definitely train yourself into liking beer, I used to really hate it and only started actually enjoying it when I went off cider in my mid-20s

but if all beer tastes terrible to you and it isn't getting any better then maybe try something else? there are plenty of options nowadays and no-one's going to give you poo poo for drinking eg Crabbie's or Old Mout or Jack and coke or whatever (and if they do they're cunts and you can justifiably glass them)

coffeetable
Feb 5, 2006

TELL ME AGAIN HOW GREAT BRITAIN WOULD BE IF IT WAS RULED BY THE MERCILESS JACKBOOT OF PRINCE CHARLES

YES I DO TALK TO PLANTS ACTUALLY

Borrovan posted:

...on account of there being no loving jobs here due to lack of infrastructure

alternatively, get rid of what little infrastructure there is and rewild wales

all residents get a choice between a fully-funded relocation to liverpool, or being eaten by wolves

Diet Crack
Jan 15, 2001

after trying and drinking lagers when I was younger and trying them now, it’s the most bland, unenjoyable taste that is pretty much common to every lager that I dislike. I won’t deny they can be refreshing with the right beer on a hot day, but for the most part it’s just a bitter water that leaves a horrible aftertaste and doesn’t really offer much by way of taste .

If being adverse to lagers and drinking for the sake of drinking instead of actually enjoying it makes you a snob, then I guess I’m a snob.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Julio Cruz posted:

you can definitely train yourself into liking beer, I used to really hate it and only started actually enjoying it when I went off cider in my mid-20s

but if all beer tastes terrible to you and it isn't getting any better then maybe try something else? there are plenty of options nowadays and no-one's going to give you poo poo for drinking eg Crabbie's or Old Mout or Jack and coke or whatever (and if they do they're cunts and you can justifiably glass them)

It's the ethanol in it that hits worst, but as I get drunker the bite goes away. I still can't do raw spirits even when absolutely cunted, but do like spirit and mixers, but they're too easy to drink too quickly, especially if drunk. I stick with beer to slow me down, and alternate between a pint of beer and a pint of water.

Another Person
Oct 21, 2010

Ms Fuchi posted:

I don't speak much beyond the basic poo poo because :effort: but from what people tell me it's more to do with the words used in South Wales. In South Wales they take English words and give them a Welsh pronunciation, whereas in the North they're more likely to break out a dictionary and use the actual Welsh word for that thing where possible. It's kind of like Spanglish

E: also North Wales is loving beautiful, despite the unfortunate golliwog dolls everywhere

north walean here

It is a massive overgeneralization that we actually speak Welsh, or even try to speak little bits or use the Welsh word for a thing if possible. That might be more the case in North West Wales, but as a lifetime North East Welsh person, I know little Welsh, and when I lived there encountered zero Welsh on a day to day basis that was not there due to the Welsh Assembly putting it there, such as signs. Sometimes teachers would speak Welsh when they didn't want the kids to know what they were talking about if they were capable of it, but that is about it. I can read and accurately pronounce Welsh words, as well as recognise Welsh phrases when spoken (like, a snippet of speech that is Welsh I would clock as being so), but not speak it. I would be able to detect someone speaking Welsh around me, and... well, it never happens.

I speak for the more densely populated regions of Flintshire, Wrexham and Denbighshire. They were my stomping grounds growing up, and yes to agree with whoever it was above, Wrexham is misery. A lot of those regions are secretly second or third generation English (myself included) who moved there from Cheshire, the Wirral and Merseyside due to industrial work in the 20th century. Mining, steel and iron, more recently AIRBUS, all brought people over the border. You will find it is a lot more like the area around Cardiff with Welsh language ability, where what they speak might be very basic (asking your name and saying what you like/do not like level skill) and you will find very few situations where you can exercise that skill. I never spent much time there, but I got the impression that Conwy was largely similar to the more Eastern bits, with maybe a smidge more Welsh but hardly like stepping into another country. Outside of unfamiliar town names, I doubt you would even recognise that you crossed from Denbighshire into Conwy.

The more sparse areas, specifically in Gwynedd or Anglesey might be more capable and a quick Google of a map indicates that what I am saying here is roughly correct. They are more the heart of Welsh language, and they also are not representative of most of the population of North Wales, something like 1/3 of the population or thereabout. Honestly my experience is that South West Wales around Camarthen actually speaks more Welsh than the densely populated bits of North Wales.

My read of why people always think the North all know their Welsh is because South Wales overwhelmingly sets the record for Welsh reputation, and their biases and stereotypes go with it. They mostly don't go North, because why would they? The standard of living down South is much higher.

I would also be incredibly skeptical of any survey information saying that a certain amount of people speak Welsh, because it offers very little nuance. I know plenty of people who, when asked for the census, say they can speak Welsh but when pressed on it cannot infact do it on a conversational level. What they have is a high school education of Welsh, rather than Welsh fluency. Their half-GCSE worth of Welsh. So, very basic pre-set conversation about weather, what you might do on a day out, likes and dislikes. It would be the exact same as someone who took GCSE German saying they can speak German, where they might be able to order a meal, but won't be able to do much more. They could tell you they like a thing, but might have a lot of trouble explaining why.

Another Person fucked around with this message at 15:31 on Sep 13, 2019

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

I had a friend a while back who was convinced he just didn't like any alcoholic drinks until he eventually found a cider he liked. Basically drink cider, it's good (this message brought to you by being born and raised in Hereford).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Cider is also good (the quality stuff, last time I willingly drank strongbow I immediately vomited the sip back into a sink), but because it's so sweet I end up drinking it really quickly. In short I deliberately pick beer to keep myself drinking at a relatively sensible pace.