Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gasmask
Apr 27, 2003

And if thou gaze long into an abyss, the abyss will also gaze into thee
imagine thinking that because you've been a mayor that you're somehow specially qualified to be PM

AD 209 - Severus makes plans to subdue the land to the north of Scotland, ravaging it severely.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
What are the qualifications to be PM?

Apparently by convention it's just "able to command the confidence of a majority of the House" but *gestures at last 9 years*

mehall
Aug 27, 2010

Gasmask posted:

imagine thinking that because you've been a mayor that you're somehow specially qualified to be PM

Wait till you hear about Pete Buttigieg, the size of his "city", and his presidential run.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Gasmask posted:

lol that's not why he thinks he's qualified

he feels he's qualified because he is a narcissist

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

mehall posted:

Buttigieg
This is another one of those Mozart songs isn't it?

Dead Goon
Dec 13, 2002

No Obvious Flaws

Guavanaut posted:

What are the qualifications to be PM?

Apparently by convention it's just "able to command the confidence of a majority of the House" but *gestures at last 9 years*

What is the qualification to be an MP?

A PPE degree?

I've always wondered why some people go for a job where they feel that eventually, they can control the country.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Like certain directorships, it's one of those jobs you get by networking or knowing where the photos are.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Hentai Jihadist posted:

HAhaha

i had to go check this was real

i loving love chuka hes deffo one of my fav characters

Speaking of, Labour are targeting the gently caress out of that constituency, so if you've a spare weekend between now and the election and fancy a trip to That London to try and consign both Mark "Tactical strike against unarmed woman" Field and Chuka "Chuka Ummuna" Ummuna to the dustbin of history keep an eye on the calendar and pop along.

pitch a fitness
Mar 19, 2010

Dead Goon posted:

I loved the range of different Carlsberg they had in Copenhagen. It's probably just normal beer to the Danes, but as someone who has drunk the green canned shite they call Carlsberg in the UK, it was awesome!

So good, the Danes hate to see it* leave.

*A reputation-tarnishing inferior variant.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

pitch a fitness posted:

So good, the Danes hate to see it* leave.

*A reputation-tarnishing inferior variant.

They've realised that sufficient people have now at some point left this septic isle to notice that the UK-brewed Carlsberg is basically Double Diamond left over from 1981 and *claim* that the local stuff is now made to the same recipe as the Danish stuff.

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

mehall posted:

Wait till you hear about Pete Buttigieg, the size of his "city", and his presidential run.

and it's still 10 times bigger than Wasilla, Alaska

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
All this talk about beer and no mention of Belgian triples? Do I have to stan the Huyghe Brewery alone?

oscarthewilde
May 16, 2012

I would often go there
To the tiny church there

Dead Goon posted:

It's much better in The Netherlands, the same way Carlsberg is much better in Denmark. I have never been to Ireland, but they always say Guinness is much better there.

Heineken's even worse in the UK?????? Jesus, I've had hot, half-litre cans of lovely supermarket beers that were better than a cold Heineken.

Darth Walrus posted:

All this talk about beer and no mention of Belgian triples? Do I have to stan the Huyghe Brewery alone?

gently caress yeah dude, Delirium's great, one of the best. I still kind of prefer Straffe Hendrik, or Orval/Chimay, but Huyghe's definitely one of the best. Great way to get hosed up, even though you only had three beers

oscarthewilde fucked around with this message at 17:07 on Sep 13, 2019

StarkingBarfish
Jun 25, 2006

Novus Ordo Seclorum

Darth Walrus posted:

I thought a belgian triple was chips served with chocolate and a side of noncing

Also, the UK doesn't know what bad beer is. Heineken, Carling and Tennents pale in comparison to what the french call beer.

OneSizeFitsAll
Sep 13, 2010

Du bist mein Sofa

Dead Goon posted:

I've always wondered why some people go for a job where they feel that eventually, they can control the country.

I think it varies. Some genuinely want to make a difference and to try and change things for the better as they see it. Maybe generally or maybe based on a single issue that's important to them. Others just want to accrue power/influence/wealth as a consequence of those first two things.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Darth Walrus posted:

+1

Halve Maan and Westmalle are incredible too. I could quite easily live on Belgian beer alone if it were cheaper and on tap everywhere.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

Gasmask posted:

AD 209 - Severus makes plans to subdue the land to the north of Scotland, ravaging it severely.

A lot was made at the time that London has a larger population than 12 of the EU28, completely ignoring how completely different the role is (and that his only actual unequivocal success of his tenure was the nationalisation of a huge chunk of the transport network).

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

Darth Walrus posted:

Why go for a triple when you can have a Flanders red ale like Duchesse de Bourgogne. Or a Trappist like Orval.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

isn't it spelled tripel for the belgian beer

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Steve2911 posted:

+1

Halve Maan and Westmalle are incredible too. I could quite easily live on Belgian beer alone if it were cheaper and on tap everywhere.

I mean, the stuff it's derived from was literally designed by Trappist monks so they could do that and get around fasting restrictions.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
That's the catholic church for you. A proper religion would spend the day staring at a damp towel and thinking of unseasoned neeps.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

Tesseraction posted:

Isn't it spelt bier for Belgian Bier?

mehall
Aug 27, 2010

Tesseraction posted:

It is yes.

I just went to the beer shop on the way to the bus.

Got a Imperial pastry stout from basqueland, the 12.8% version of stay out from tiny rebel, the foreign export version of Guinness (Nigerian export specifically), an Imperial stout with jaggery, coffee and blueberry, and I realised I've not had Leak despite having bought the Kwak glass, so I bought a bottle of Kwak.

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

Aramoro posted:

or possibly bière, depending on which part of Belgium you're in

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Aramoro posted:

Belge

e: Kwak is awful, just enjoy the glass.

Vlex
Aug 4, 2006
I'd rather be a climbing ape than a big titty angel.

All beers are beautiful, I'll genuinely try any beer at least once.

CGI Stardust
Nov 7, 2010

Brexit is but a door,
election time is but a window.

I'll be back

Dead Goon
Dec 13, 2002

No Obvious Flaws

I once had two bottles of Trappist Westvleteren 12 (XII)

It was very nice.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Rod Liddle and Brendan O'Neill Live In London - If you see them, call the police.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

mehall posted:

Having only seen it written online, I was more surprised to find out how it's pronounced. That's some dedication to avoiding an audible butt in your surname.

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Rod Liddle always looks like he needs medical help.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

weird my monitor has a maasive dent in the middle of it all of a sudden

Beefeater1980
Sep 12, 2008

My God, it's full of Horatios!

Guavanaut posted:

I'm Disgusting Gorden Nugent, 69

It's interesting in terms of how much is communal and how much is commercial.

Like post-prohibition in the US, there was a lot of promotion of beer over liquor and part of that was heavily marketing it as men men men men manly men, so it became a masculine trait even though the pre-prohibition masculine trait would have probably been drinking gallons of corn liquor until you died early, whereas in the UK there seems to be more a centuries long culture of men drinking beer that dates back to the church taking over brewing duties from cunning women, and the commercial element was more "big lager companies market lager over bitter, old men disapprove."

It's mostly interesting in exactly how drinking some cereal suds is a performative part of masculine identity.

Depends who's doing it and why. Normally the idea is to focus on how 'macho' values and performances harm people around men and the men themselves.

Like with stabby violence, it's not the fault of the knives despite what the libs say, and it's not the fault of 'colour' despite what the kippers say, it's in part the fault of reduced public spending, but reduced public spending has hit women and girls worse and yet they're not stabbing people (despite that presumably being an effective solution to street harassment) and so it bears thinking about why.

National comparisons of happy hour / macho drinking:

China, where I was for last 10 years: people mostly don’t do HH drinks; macho drinking is drinking spirits that could double very well as paint stripper and probably make you go blind (40%+abv), over dinner in a large group.

Brazil, where I am now: seems like people get a beer or glass of wine around 7-8pm and hang out somewhere with music drinking it slowly; maybe have another one and then go home or go on to food and clubs/bars. Dancing may or may not be involved.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

oscarthewilde posted:

gently caress yeah dude, Delirium's great, one of the best. I still kind of prefer Straffe Hendrik, or Orval/Chimay, but Huyghe's definitely one of the best. Great way to get hosed up, even though you only had three beers

its severely overrated imo

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

bessantj posted:

Brendan looks like he was going to fart smugly in response to something but accidentally just followed through into his kecks, Rod looks as though he's sat behind him.

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

At night, Bavovnyatko quietly comes to the occupiers’ bases, depots, airfields, oil refineries and other places full of flammable items and starts playing with fire there

Like seriously gently caress off with this USPOL poo poo?

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

tough words from someone shitposting at friday pub time

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

bessantj posted:

Brendan O'Neill looks like he's going to administer it by force to a struggling hostage.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

Rust Martialis posted:

Like seriously gently caress off with this USPOL poo poo?

Nah.

With a million hosed up politics things happening per day in this failing country I don't have time to keep up with the latest yank shitshow, so I appreciate the updates posted here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

team overhead smash
Sep 2, 2006

Team-Forest-Tree-Dog:
Smashing your way into our hearts one skylight at a time

When I went to Notting Hill Carnival I tried Red Stripe and really liked it which was a surprise, probably because it's not that strong and I don't like most beers.