Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CubanMissile
Apr 22, 2003

Of Hulks and Spider-Men

The Question IRL posted:

Actually that raises an important point.

They said that a number of geniuses mutants collaborated on a project to build computer Al-Gore-Rhythms to track for things that would be used to build Nimrods.

Maybe Xaiver and Magneto approached Forge about helping to build that program and also asked him to build that wheel chair as a side project.
Maybe when they went to visit Mr. Sinister, they had previously visited a number of other mutants years before they were supposed to officially meet them and put them to work on something else.

BTW another thing I noticed that no one has mentioned. If you look at House of X #3 when the Blackbird is flying past the moon, I think you can see a city enclosed on the Moon.
Maybe the reason no human nation has found Krakoa island is because it is not on Earth?

They don't fly past the moon. They're literally flying out of the city on the moon which is Krakoa.

CubanMissile fucked around with this message at 13:30 on Sep 13, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

it could just be a hunk of metal Mags saw in his visions vOv its not particularly important. It is pretty iconic though.

Metalshark
Feb 4, 2013

The seagull is essential.
https://xplainthexmen.tumblr.com/post/187686492411/cashewnoodle-sometimes-you-gotta-just-lift-em

enigmahfc
Oct 10, 2003

EFF TEE DUB!!
EFF TEE DUB!!
Catty, Fabulous, bitchy, and gossipy Mr. Sinister is the best Mr. Sinister ever. I had no paid attention to him for almost 10 years, and it's such a stark contrast to his super-serious 90's persona that I cannot help but love it.

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi

enigmahfc posted:

Catty, Fabulous, bitchy, and gossipy Mr. Sinister is the best Mr. Sinister ever. I had no paid attention to him for almost 10 years, and it's such a stark contrast to his super-serious 90's persona that I cannot help but love it.

As someone pointed out, he wasn't THAT serious during the Claremont stuff. I think his actions were but the character was always over-the-top. And that trends with what was supposed to be his origin: that he was a 12 year old mutant posing as what he thought a bad guy should look and act like.

But yeah, my intro to Catty Sinister was Secret Wars and I fell in love immediately.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

danbanana posted:

As someone pointed out, he wasn't THAT serious during the Claremont stuff. I think his actions were but the character was always over-the-top. And that trends with what was supposed to be his origin: that he was a 12 year old mutant posing as what he thought a bad guy should look and act like.

But yeah, my intro to Catty Sinister was Secret Wars and I fell in love immediately.

How long was he written as though he was the bogeyman for all intents and purposes? I feel like at least up through Inferno.

thin blue whine
Feb 21, 2004
PLEASE SEE POLICY

Soiled Meat
Is it just me or does Sinister seem to have some similarities with Nimrod x100 and x1000, and not just having a mad on for databases and cataloguing DNA but in his manner too?

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

Why, of all people in the world, would they turn to Mr. Sinister to handle their mutant genetic program? Especially when, during the five minutes they were there, they've already witnessed an immediate, violent change in leadership and no one finds it at all remarkable.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company

Phenotype posted:

Why, of all people in the world, would they turn to Mr. Sinister to handle their mutant genetic program? Especially when, during the five minutes they were there, they've already witnessed an immediate, violent change in leadership and no one finds it at all remarkable.

A) because he's really good at it, and B) if they didn't, Hickman wouldn't get to write Mr. Sinister and anything that keeps this Mr. Sinister around and in books is an excellent thing IMHO

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi

DivineCoffeeBinge posted:

A) because he's really good at it, and B) if they didn't, Hickman wouldn't get to write Mr. Sinister and anything that keeps this Mr. Sinister around and in books is an excellent thing IMHO

This.

Also- assuming this is Life X- Moira knows how good Sinister is at it. It is Life IX where he creates the hybrids. She also knows he's a manipulative schemer which makes me wonder if she has a counter-action for Secret #10 or if she's the one who blabbed to him about the plan...

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

I just... the mutant-gene Sinister blows away the King Sinister just out of nowhere, and the rest of the court doesn't even react, like this poo poo happens every other day. He says "I'm King Sin now, I agree to your plan", and Magneto and Xavier are just like "all right, that's all settled then!" like mutant Sinister isn't obviously going to be ganked and replaced twenty minutes from now (by a Sinister who isn't even a mutant).

There's gotta be at least one or two other mutant scientists out there that can handle this, right? Just give it to Beast? AoA says he's probably pretty good at genetic engineering if you make him focus.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
Yeah, but presumably both Sinisters will keep coming back around via clones, so as long as one Sinister is on the job, you're probably good.

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi
If Chuck erased Mutant Sinister's memory of the meeting, Mutant Sinister is going to be very confused how he got into power...

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

Rand Brittain posted:

Yeah, but presumably both Sinisters will keep coming back around via clones, so as long as one Sinister is on the job, you're probably good.

But they're not, because Sinister ended up making gene monsters that killed more than half the mutants (and even the original mutant Sinister would have done that eventually for fun) and just ugh. I know there's always a genocide right around the corner with the X-men, but this one seems really super obviously avoidable and preventable with just a tiny bit of common sense from the two greatest mutants of our times. I hope that's not the whole story with the fall of 10th timeline Krakoa.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
I'm wondering if Arakko is the TumorSpace in Krakoa. That whole creation myth scrne was something.

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi

Phenotype posted:

But they're not, because Sinister ended up making gene monsters that killed more than half the mutants (and even the original mutant Sinister would have done that eventually for fun) and just ugh. I know there's always a genocide right around the corner with the X-men, but this one seems really super obviously avoidable and preventable with just a tiny bit of common sense from the two greatest mutants of our times. I hope that's not the whole story with the fall of 10th timeline Krakoa.

Here's the thing: Fetus Moira X said she was going to change the rules. Hickman can't make that promise without having her do something loving big. I think the expectation is that next issue (RED issue!) is where that gets revealed. And the obvious revelation is that the birthing pods are Sinister's work with Krakoa to regenerate mutants from his DNA sequencing, functionally creating immortal mutants.

You could argue this same story works if it's Hank who does the gene work but Moira deciding "why doesn't Beast just clone everyone?" isn't as good of a story as "My lives have taught me only Sinister is capable of doing this on the level we need."

NmareBfly
Jul 16, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

#9 is rachel and kitty for sure and the --works part of 'fireworks' is just to throw people off the scent. Kitty and Rache are in different team books after HoX to further throw people off the scent.

:sigh:

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Is that everything you have?

danbanana posted:

If Chuck erased Mutant Sinister's memory of the meeting, Mutant Sinister is going to be very confused how he got into power...

Secondary mutation: taking down tyrants in his sleep and being even more fabulous.

Billzasilver
Nov 8, 2016

I lift my drink and sing a song

for who knows if life is short or long?

Man's life is like the morning dew

past days many, future days few

Cabbit posted:

Secondary mutation: taking down tyrants in his sleep and being even more fabulous.

“Why do I suddenly love capes? :confused:

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

When did Kitty mostly stop being called 'Shadowcat?'

Mr_Moose
May 4, 2004

Strange Poon posted:

Is it just me or does Sinister seem to have some similarities with Nimrod x100 and x1000, and not just having a mad on for databases and cataloguing DNA but in his manner too?

I also thought this when that issue first came out, specifically how excited Nimrod was about experimenting with mutants and how extremely dramatic he was. The story of Sinister's betrayal in Moria IX's timeline was incomplete (no given motivations beyond Sinister being Sinister) and his fate was stated as him simply being publicly executed. This is a possible misdirection because it's written from the perspective of the mutant survivors, who are inferring that he betrayed them by creating bad batches of mutants. What did he gain by betraying the mutants in life IX? Merely an untimely death?

The only thing I can think of would be if Sinister is meant to serve as a meta-foil to Moria in some way over the course of several lifetimes. Theoretically this could be achieved if he somehow gained access to her powers during an unspecified life which would make him a major threat to mutants in a way that humans or AI can't be.

But all this is useless speculation that is only very loosely justified by what we've seen so far. If you wanted to reach to you could say that it ties into Sinister Secret #10:

quote:

"Which brainwashed mutant Sinister was replaced long before a certain bald somebody knew and has been on the game for almost as long as the game was being played?"
It is also entirely possible that Nimrod IX as a character just was super stoked about making a computer of a mutant clone.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

Mr_Moose posted:

I also thought this when that issue first came out, specifically how excited Nimrod was about experimenting with mutants and how extremely dramatic he was. The story of Sinister's betrayal in Moria IX's timeline was incomplete (no given motivations beyond Sinister being Sinister) and his fate was stated as him simply being publicly executed. This is a possible misdirection because it's written from the perspective of the mutant survivors, who are inferring that he betrayed them by creating bad batches of mutants. What did he gain by betraying the mutants in life IX? Merely an untimely death?

The only thing I can think of would be if Sinister is meant to serve as a meta-foil to Moria in some way over the course of several lifetimes. Theoretically this could be achieved if he somehow gained access to her powers during an unspecified life which would make him a major threat to mutants in a way that humans or AI can't be.

But all this is useless speculation that is only very loosely justified by what we've seen so far. If you wanted to reach to you could say that it ties into Sinister Secret #10:

It is also entirely possible that Nimrod IX as a character just was super stoked about making a computer of a mutant clone.

At first I thought the nimrod ai was just a big nerd. But now I think mister sinister is trying to infect the technarchy with himself.

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

Okay, now I'm confused. I didn't realize Sinister betrayed the 9th timeline, not the 10th, but yep, it even says it on the page in an infographic. Does that mean all the Krakoa House of X stuff we've seen is the 9th timeline, the one where Moira sides with Apocalypse and ends with the suicide mission in PoX3? Have we seen anything at all from the 10th timeline? Or did Xavier do the Krakoa thing in both 9 and 10 even though Moira didn't influence him in 9?

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Phenotype posted:

Okay, now I'm confused. I didn't realize Sinister betrayed the 9th timeline, not the 10th, but yep, it even says it on the page in an infographic. Does that mean all the Krakoa House of X stuff we've seen is the 9th timeline, the one where Moira sides with Apocalypse and ends with the suicide mission in PoX3? Have we seen anything at all from the 10th timeline? Or did Xavier do the Krakoa thing in both 9 and 10 even though Moira didn't influence him in 9?

My current theory is all the Krakoa stuff in House of X is the previously hidden 6th life of Moira, the X0 and X1 stuff we've seen in Powers of X might be the 10th life of Moira.

CubanMissile
Apr 22, 2003

Of Hulks and Spider-Men

FilthyImp posted:

I'm wondering if Arakko is the TumorSpace in Krakoa. That whole creation myth scrne was something.

My theory is that the tumor space is the part Doug infected and that Arakko is Limbo, since one of the silhouette monsters had what looked like a Soul Sword, plus the Inferno mention.

Mr_Moose
May 4, 2004
We may or may not be seeing life X in progress, but I think any current reference to Krakoa is supposed to be the ultimate status quo of the x-men. Basically even if things go wrong for this Krakoa it doesn't mean that the course won't be corrected for the status-quo life.

One portion of Xavier's current solution is to offer humanity a better life through Krakoa-flower based medication specifically created for humans. Unless everyone's prediction that he's secretly evil is correct I more or less think this supposed to be a genuine good thing that he's offering. Although mutants are being isolationist they're still being good neighbors.

Along those lines, the whole point of Sabertooth's side plot could be that mutants are taking over justice for their own because human governments tend to do awful things when they have access to mutants (like enlisting them into secret murder organizations or doing unethical lab testing). He's still a murderer, and as far as we know most of the X-Men don't want to kill humans, even those responsible for creating super murderous A.I.. He could end up being made an example of in some way in a public trial to show solidarity with humans.

Also the armored Sinisters at Bar Sinister evoke Nimrod's design, especially with the helmet, but I could just be looking for things to justify a guess.

Mr_Moose fucked around with this message at 03:08 on Sep 14, 2019

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer

danbanana posted:

Xavier wearing a pith hat on his tour of Krakoa... Cassandra Nova wore a similar one.

What I found interesting about that is that we never see X's head during that scene. There are a few times where he takes his hat off, but it's in shadow. Combine that with the full cerebro helmet he's wearing and I think there's something going on with X's head. Maybe he a black brain like the one we saw in the future?

CubanMissile
Apr 22, 2003

Of Hulks and Spider-Men
Now that's an intriguing possibility.

Billzasilver
Nov 8, 2016

I lift my drink and sing a song

for who knows if life is short or long?

Man's life is like the morning dew

past days many, future days few

I was trying to learn more x-men lore and gave myself a headache. So the all-new x-men, krakoa, the secret history of Emma Frost, Moira, Vulcan the omega level mutant, and SAURON THE DINOSAUR MAN were all part of X-Men: Deadly Genesis?

MrMegaPhoenix
Oct 11, 2012
I see this a lot on various forums, but to clarify what the "present" is actually life 10:
Powers of X 3 = "So ended the ninth life of Moira X"
House of X 3 = "Apocalypse acquires the [incomplete] Nimrod Origin Files [X2]" and then mentions Moira Dies and Reincarnates. All linearly with that very same page describing the Break In to the steal the plans and then the mission to Destroy the space station.

Not only that, but the tiny text says "Moira X [09]" and "Moira X [10]"

The most noteworthy thing i feel is worth mentioning about Life 6 though is that it mentions Life 5 is when she meets Xavier as a kid and opens her mind to him and "The experience radicalizes him" while it's Life 7 when Moira is an assassin that mentions how "The experience radicalizes her". Not sure the relevance, but interesting.

Taffy Torpedo
Feb 2, 2008

...Can we have the radio?
I was just reading about the Black Vortex storyline, does Kitty still have God-powers?

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Stanfield posted:

I was just reading about the Black Vortex storyline, does Kitty still have God-powers?

As far as I know very little stayed out of Black Vortex. The longest was Young Warren's fire wings, but he's gone now, so.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

Stanfield posted:

I think she burned them out phasing a planet or it's whole civilization or something.

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

A smile better suits a hero

The only remnant of the Black Vortex storyline is in the Marvel Puzzle Quest game and nowhere else. As it should be.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Billzasilver posted:

I was trying to learn more x-men lore and gave myself a headache. So the all-new x-men, krakoa, the secret history of Emma Frost, Moira, Vulcan the omega level mutant, and SAURON THE DINOSAUR MAN were all part of X-Men: Deadly Genesis?

I haven't read Deadly Genesis because I heard it's very bad, but Krakoa first appears in Giant Size X-Men 1, and then a bunch is done with it during Wolverine and the X-Men

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
Deadly Genesis is told in the interim, after G1 Xguys get trapped on the island and before All New, All Exciting Xguys rescue the franchise.

It's basically a failed rescue mission that gets quickly scrubbed because Xavier botched it with a newbie squad.

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi

Skwirl posted:

I haven't read Deadly Genesis because I heard it's very bad, but Krakoa first appears in Giant Size X-Men 1, and then a bunch is done with it during Wolverine and the X-Men

DG's biggest sin was having Chuck have another big secret so soon after the Danger thing.

Also, the Krakoa in the Wolvie book is the child of the original Krakoa from Giant Sized (which was launched into space). Hickman is probably using the parent island in HOXPOX.

NmareBfly
Jul 16, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Stanfield posted:

That was right before the universe got smashed, then when it was put back together everyone conveniently forgot and it has never come back up again as far as I know.

I do still have a pet theory that Singularity was intended in some way to be her weird space-baby but Singularity has also vanished.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
For all the hate of Deadly Genesis most people accept its characterizations of Xavier even thought they're garbage and based on things not any more valid than Nazi Captain America so you might as well read it so you know why Xavier is a murderer pedophile slavemaster instead of just a jerk.

Rick fucked around with this message at 20:20 on Sep 14, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

Pretty sure Deadly Genesis didn't feature on Grand Design, as such it's non-canon. And good riddance.