Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
Pancake buffet for families of the victims

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

TheKingofSprings posted:

this would be a more meaningful gesture and act of contrition than anything he will do in P5R

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012
in the room where you sleep

TheKingofSprings posted:

Each person gets an Akechi shaped bowl with syrup in it. People can dip their pancakes in it. Literally dunking on Akechi hahaha

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.

Zore posted:

why

dude is awful and has literally no remorse outside of one wistful 'maybe I wouldn't have killed all those people if I had made some friends idk' before immediately trying to kill you again.

He isn't even particularly powerful or noteworthy to justify bringing him along like most villains who join the team in JRPGs. He's a teenage mass murderer who is going to continue to murder with his superpowers.

he needs to be stopped for the good of everyone. best scenario is incarceration and serious psychological counseling.

letting him continue to wander about though with those same superpowers he has explicitly abused to murder a ton of people is like the absolute dumbest bullshit.

it'd be like a damaged teen finding a gun and the response to learning he had a bad upbringing being 'oh, maybe he should keep the gun and keep hanging out with us!' after he kills a bunch of people. 'He may have murdered my mom because his lovely dad told him to and literally laughed about it to my face but he's cute so he should still hang out with us'

It still boggles my mind that people here sympathize with the mass murderer because he's pretty an orphan, but have absolutely no qualms about repeatedly dunking on an abuse survivor who's been bullied his entire life because they think it's hilarious to perpetuate the cycle of abuse upon him.

Polderjoch
Jun 27, 2019

May the sacred flame guide me... Or something like that.

W.T. Fits posted:

It still boggles my mind that people here sympathize with the mass murderer because he's pretty an orphan, but have absolutely no qualms about repeatedly dunking on an abuse survivor who's been bullied his entire life because they think it's hilarious to perpetuate the cycle of abuse upon him.

mishima deserves better

Stroth
Mar 31, 2007

All Problems Solved

W.T. Fits posted:

I mean I get that he had a lovely childhood, but that does not excuse being a serial killer.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
I mean, Adachi was an rear end in a top hat who sucked but wasnt his social link about how badly he sucked? Golden didnt shy away from that, I thought.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

W.T. Fits posted:

I like Goro, and think Mishima being treated like poo poo is bad. I am all powerful.

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.

Stroth posted:

I mean I get that he had a lovely childhood, but that does not excuse being a serial killer.

The abuse survivor he's talking about is Mishima.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Shinjobi posted:

I mean, Adachi was an rear end in a top hat who sucked but wasnt his social link about how badly he sucked? Golden didnt shy away from that, I thought.

What I remember of Adachi's Social Link was really good about this. Through just a few events you both see that he is capable of genuine kindness in his own way through his interactions with Nanako, but also that his cynical above-it-all attitude hiding just beneath the surface has totally poisoned his ability to interact with people as shown with his interactions with the old lady who dotes on him.

e: Man, I should replay Golden.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.

Stroth posted:

Right, that's what I'm saying. It strikes me as weird that people are willing to fall all over themselves defending Akechi just because he had a hard life, but they're also willing to keep bullying Mishima with their dialogue options just because they think it's funny to see an abuse victim constantly get dunked on by the only friend he has.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Are the people who are pro-goro in this thread anti-mishima though?

CJ
Jul 3, 2007

Asbungold
Everyone is anti-mishima.

Does Akechi's sob story about being an orphan get brought up at all before he pops his clogs? From what i remember he does his dumb speach about how he's an orphan so is going to get back at his dad by helping him become a prime minister then dies. Don't know why i should give a poo poo about a backstory brought up at the last second.

Gruckles
Mar 11, 2013

He talks about his crappy childhood and how he was always unwanted by everyone during his social link scenes when he visits the coffee shop.

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012
in the room where you sleep

CJ posted:

Does Akechi's sob story about being an orphan get brought up at all before he pops his clogs? From what i remember he does his dumb speach about how he's an orphan so is going to get back at his dad by helping him become a prime minister then dies. Don't know why i should give a poo poo about a backstory brought up at the last second.

There is a scripted scene at Le Blanc where he fishes for sympathy from Joker by suddenly bringing up his poor mother and the fact that he’s been treated badly. It takes place right after Futaba’s palace, Futaba is just starting to integrate into society again and he frightens her when he speaks to her. Then she runs behind Joker and he almost immediately jumps into his backstory.

I don’t know how the game devs meant it but it comes off as Akechi trying to get sympathy from Joker after intimidating an innocent girl. (Tho to be fair I don’t think he meant to do it.)

Kaza42
Oct 3, 2013

Blood and Souls and all that

CJ posted:

I like Mishima. He started to dip into bad territory when the fame of the Phan-site got to his head, but when given the chance to realize his mistake he owns up to it and course-corrects. People shouldn't bully Mishima, he's good.

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen
Mishima's not a bad person or anything I just have no desire to hang out with him when I could be spending that time hanging out with Japanese Bernie Sanders or Yusuke instead. He may be an abuse victim but that does not grant him immunity from dunks, no one is above that.

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe

Ibram Gaunt posted:

I like Goro, and think Mishima being treated like poo poo is bad. I am all powerful.

YaketySass
Jan 15, 2019

Blind Idiot Dog
Is there anything that actually hints at Tora being a leftist (whatever that means within his country's political field) or are the points of comparison solely how he got hosed over by his party and talks a lot about the youth?

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

YaketySass posted:

Is there anything that actually hints at Tora being a leftist (whatever that means within his country's political field) or are the points of comparison solely how he got hosed over by his party and talks a lot about the youth?

He's pretty carefully presented as apolitically as possible outside of his desire to reduce corruption and focus on not loving over the youth of Japan. Most of his stuff is about him overcoming his past and scandal.

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Unite: MASH!!
~They've got the bad guys on the run!~

W.T. Fits posted:

Mishima isn’t nearly pretty or memorable enough to get the codependent fangirls Akechi has.

Supersonic Shine
Oct 13, 2012
Goro Akechi is the Vriska Serket of Persona 5.

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe

Zore posted:

pretty carefully presented as apolitically as possible
new thread title

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

Kaza42 posted:

I like Mishima. He started to dip into bad territory when the fame of the Phan-site got to his head, but when given the chance to realize his mistake he owns up to it and course-corrects. People shouldn't bully Mishima, he's good.

:hai:

Gen. Ripper
Jan 12, 2013

Akechi owns because he reminds us that prosecutors in Japan always win and therefore Sae's whining about MY LIFE IS SO HAAAAAAAAAAAAAAARD :qq: is complete bullshit.

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

W.T. Fits posted:

To be fair, the Akechi Defense Force is pretty much down to just one person whose posts are incredibly bad and who has so little ground to stand on that their final argument before everyone moves on is an ironic hope that in P5R Akechi is even worse and you still bone him

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

I got persona 5 because it was $13 and loved it

So i got a PSP and P4golden and hoo boy this is a much rougher game mechanically. I’m only like 4 hours in, and I do appreciate how much more quickly the game lets you actually start playing.

Are all the dungeons effectively mementos? This kinda sucks.

Hunter Noventa
Apr 21, 2010

Sockser posted:

So i got a PSP and P4golden and hoo boy this is a much rougher game mechanically. I’m only like 4 hours in, and I do appreciate how much more quickly the game lets you actually start playing.

Yeah, P4G's only grinding option is to replay the same dungeons, they aren't even randomized.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Hunter Noventa posted:

Yeah, P4G's only grinding option is to replay the same dungeons, they aren't even randomized.

Are you sure about that? I could have sworn they were, at least non-story levels.

I really need to get around to doing a replay.

Sockser posted:

I hope you enjoy the Best Persona Game. Seriously, it's so good.

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen

RazzleDazzleHour posted:

To be fair, the Akechi Defense Force is pretty much down to just one person whose posts are incredibly bad and who has so little ground to stand on that their final argument before everyone moves on is an ironic hope that in P5R Akechi is even worse and you still bone him

I think you've got like, 5 different posters mixed up here

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Sockser posted:

Sadly, yes. P5 was the first time the dungeons were hand made instead of being procedurally generated. The game added so many improvements that the previous two are extremely difficult to go back to. Especially P3 where you couldn’t even directly control your party members in battle.

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe

RazzleDazzleHour posted:

hello!

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

Gen. Ripper posted:

Akechi owns because he reminds us that prosecutors in Japan always win and therefore Sae's whining about MY LIFE IS SO HAAAAAAAAAAAAAAARD :qq: is complete bullshit.

To be fair, sexism exists. It's even brought up in game; the SIU Director tells Sae she should just settle down with a dude.

But yes, I am glad they pointed out how rigged the Japanese legal system is.

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
it's hard to tell because the camera is so tight, but i just noticed that the buildings the theives are smashing in the new opening has writing on it that's pretty associated with the character. Joker destroys Rehabilitation, Goro smashes Arrogance, Futaba smashes Suppress, Haru stops to look at one that says Oppression, Makoto smashes -ostern?

i like that!

Expect My Mom fucked around with this message at 19:12 on Sep 13, 2019

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

CharlestonJew posted:

I think you've got like, 5 different posters mixed up here

He's too blinded by his akechi rage.

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010

Hellioning posted:

But yes, I am glad they pointed out how rigged the Japanese legal system is.
The house always wins.

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

https://youtu.be/E7Hiv5-X-UA

New Royal intro. It’s basically the same, but Kasumi shows up to fight along with Joker in one battle. Interestingly, she says she isn’t a Phantom Thief despite it all and is just paying Joker back before leaving.

Stroth
Mar 31, 2007

All Problems Solved
God damnit I just realized her metaverse costume includes a black mask.

Maybe they actually are changing Akechi's story.

gyrobot
Nov 16, 2011

Sydin posted:

Personally I'm hyped as hell knowing the justifications for Akechi joining the good guys while still looking like lanky Berserk Guts and screaming "LOKI!!!" like a psychopath to get the hold up and then smiling and walking along with the rest of the gang during the jazzy victory music will be complete poo poo. Ditto the fact that you're probably going to get to bang Sae, which is just so wrong on so many levels it loops back around to be hilarious. I am 100% on board for P5R

Because what Kasumi and Takuto is going to do is even worse because they are giving everyone what they used to desire and undo a year's worth of emotional and personal development at the cost of their proverbial existence and free will. Yaldaboth's will being upheld even after his defeat

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
they should kill off Akechi and give us Mishima as a gay option, thanks.