Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

FlamingLiberal posted:

Just throw people right into the Enterprise two parter with the aliens in full Nazi gear. Do not attempt to explain this.

Are you sure you're not referencing the 2 part Voyager episode with this exact same premise?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

I said come in! posted:

Are you sure you're not referencing the 2 part Voyager episode with this exact same premise?

Star Trek: Nazis are bad! (But really cool. Oh man, so cool. Look, here they come again, despite being hundreds of years in the future!)

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!
It is cool when Klingons kill Nazis with Batleths

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

FlamingLiberal posted:

Just throw people right into the Enterprise two parter with the aliens in full Nazi gear. Do not attempt to explain this.

You mean The Killing Game surely

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

Wait there is a Voyager episode with aliens in Nazi uniforms as well as the Enterprise one? I missed that one when I was going through Voyager. Or I watched it and forgot about it.

The Enterprise one was a lot of fun, it had Bobby Baccala from the Sopranos.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

marktheando posted:

Wait there is a Voyager episode with aliens in Nazi uniforms as well as the Enterprise one? I missed that one when I was going through Voyager. Or I watched it and forgot about it.

A multi-parter, in fact!

Humerus
Jul 7, 2009

Rule of acquisition #111:
Treat people in your debt like family...exploit them.

marktheando posted:

It was a holodeck episode, too, so it's basically peak Voyager.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

marktheando posted:

The entirety of Voyager turned into a World War II warzone with Klingsons and Nazi's fight one another.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Move Along Home is the best intro episode

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
The best intro episode is A Piece of the Action, and the best "you only get one shot to cut to the soul of Star Trek" episode is Devil in the Dark.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

The Bloop posted:

A multi-parter, in fact!

I have always been taken aback by how weirdly natural Neelix looks dressed like this

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

Someone send help, I want to watch the nazi Voyager episode. Will I regret interrupting my TNG re-watch for this? Probably.

Brawnfire posted:

I have always been taken aback by how weirdly natural Neelix looks dressed like this

Just shows you how hideous his regular clothes are, he seems so much less repulsive with a simple change of outfit.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Brawnfire posted:

I always feel bad for the actor, his makeup took like 2 - 3 hours? of work each day. You can see that the makeup crew gave up more and more as the series went on and he is on the show way less.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Apparently this was the first completely non-English commercial to ever air in the UK

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EgxWqLoafBo

e: the typical british announcer speaking Klingon is killing me

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

I did a nerdthing and bought a nerdthing.

It's one of the QMx prop-quality ones sold by Anovos. Sure it's just a hunk of metal and some magnets but I actually kinda like it :shobon:

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Drone posted:

It's one of the QMx prop-quality ones sold by Anovos. Sure it's just a hunk of metal and some magnets but I actually kinda like it :shobon:

HELLO THANK YOU FOR MENTIONING THIS BECAUSE I NEED IT

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer
I think it's really cool that they make those with the magnets instead of having to poke holes through everything with the pins like they used to

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

I said come in! posted:

HELLO THANK YOU FOR MENTIONING THIS BECAUSE I NEED IT

https://www.anovos.com/collections/star-trek-reservation-pre-order/products/star-trek-ds9-and-voyager-communicator-badge-replica

You might get lucky and get one from the last production round on Amazon or eBay, that's how I got mine. I'm eyeing a TNG one too.

I always thought it'd be kindof a dumb waste of money but idk man, for some reason this thing just makes me happy, even if I only have it sitting on my bookshelf. And maybe occasionally putting it on while drunk and smiling at myself in the mirror, that might have something to do with it.

The magnet seems quite strong and it's heavy enough to make you feel like this thing is worth the cash, while also being light enough to not drag down your clothes at all. Would recommend.

Drone fucked around with this message at 17:00 on Sep 13, 2019

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Tighclops posted:

I think it's really cool that they make those with the magnets instead of having to poke holes through everything with the pins like they used to

The pin that came with the Star Trek Online box set has stabbed me in the hand more times that I'd like to admit, even with the pin protectors on (it goes right through them somehow)

HorseLord
Aug 26, 2014

Sash! posted:

You mean like Stalin, Castro, or Mao would wear?

None of those people wore anything resembling Nazi uniforms, never mind the grey SS getups like in that movie

Zurui posted:

If were tasked with introducing Star Trek to someone who had never seen it and could only show them one episode, which would you choose?

Ugly bags of mostly water

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Tighclops posted:

I had a TNG one with pins years ago when j was a very nerdy teen. It was so heavy it pulled down (and outwards) the fabric of whatever it was pinned to, including this rather nice TNG uniform top I had.

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

Brawnfire posted:

When I was into Doctor Who more I tried introducing a couple friends

The first episode being about silly mannequins and a plastic blob intelligence is apparently a very steep start for some

I have concluded I like very, very silly things and I should keep that to myself and deadgay forums.

I tried to introduce my wife with Spearhead From Space. It was not a resounding success. The Autons are just a losing proposition it seems.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

Son of Sam-I-Am posted:

I tried to introduce my wife with Spearhead From Space. It was not a resounding success. The Autons are just a losing proposition it seems.

They kind of come off as "these are your effects?" No, they're supposed to look cheap and cheesy, that's Autons. And then 2005 busts out with the CG Nestene Consciousness and there's no saving it.

Humerus
Jul 7, 2009

Rule of acquisition #111:
Treat people in your debt like family...exploit them.

Drone posted:

I have a TNG one and can confirm it is very nice. I've been thinking of getting the Voyager one too, to replace the one I got from the Vegas Star Trek Experience that's seen better days. Qmx has them for sale on their site still at least. They also have Discovery ones, JJTrek, and the Discovery Enterprise badges. Hopefully they'll make some for the Picard badges too.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

Humerus posted:

I have a TNG one and can confirm it is very nice. I've been thinking of getting the Voyager one too, to replace the one I got from the Vegas Star Trek Experience that's seen better days. Qmx has them for sale on their site still at least. They also have Discovery ones, JJTrek, and the Discovery Enterprise badges. Hopefully they'll make some for the Picard badges too.

Would kill for a really high-quality TOS movie one.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
Pillboi!

https://twitter.com/startrekcbs/status/1172567177381072896

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

omg

Admiralty Flag
Jun 7, 2007

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Pick posted:

The best intro episode is A Piece of the Action, and the best "you only get one shot to cut to the soul of Star Trek" episode is Devil in the Dark.

This is both a good post and a good distinction to make.

I would be very tempted to replace Devil in the Dark with Arena. (Was there a Gorn commemorative plate?)

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

I'm staying hopeful

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

For gods sakes I hope it avoids the Rick & Morty hole. I could live with it just being "meh" but if it's another Rick & Morty clone I'm gonna be legitimately upset

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Drone posted:

https://www.anovos.com/collections/star-trek-reservation-pre-order/products/star-trek-ds9-and-voyager-communicator-badge-replica

You might get lucky and get one from the last production round on Amazon or eBay, that's how I got mine. I'm eyeing a TNG one too.

I always thought it'd be kindof a dumb waste of money but idk man, for some reason this thing just makes me happy, even if I only have it sitting on my bookshelf. And maybe occasionally putting it on while drunk and smiling at myself in the mirror, that might have something to do with it.

The magnet seems quite strong and it's heavy enough to make you feel like this thing is worth the cash, while also being light enough to not drag down your clothes at all. Would recommend.

HELLO YES I WOULD LIKE ONE

click click

But would I like one enough to pay USD$20.95 USD plus USD$36.97 for most basic shipping.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

MikeJF posted:

USD$36.97 for most basic shipping.

wtf are they shipping it from DS9?

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

MikeJF posted:

HELLO YES I WOULD LIKE ONE

click click

But would I like one enough to pay USD$20.95 USD plus USD$36.97 for most basic shipping.

check ozzy ebay. Here in Germany I managed to find a local one that didn't require shipping from the states.

Edit: I may have just bought a TNG one too. Lesson learned: don't get drunk and then do online shopping.

Drone fucked around with this message at 19:10 on Sep 13, 2019

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Snow Cone Capone posted:

wtf are they shipping it from DS9?

Let me see if QMx sells it.

click click

Drone posted:

check ozzy ebay. Here in Germany I managed to find a local one that didn't require shipping from the states.

Oh good idea! Found one for AUD$40. Hmm.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

MikeJF posted:

Let me see if QMx sells it.

click click

Oh good idea! Found one for AUD$40. Hmm.

Try this one?

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Yeah that's the forty dollar one I found. I might go for it. Or possibly drop a hint to my sister for my birthday present.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!
The art style for the trek cartoon looks like a much more bland and safe rick and morty style.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Baronjutter posted:

The art style for the trek cartoon looks like a much more bland and safe rick and morty style.

Any style that isn't butt ugly is fine if the writing, voices, and animation are good

I think clean lines looks right for STARFLEET

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

Baronjutter posted:

It looks like a comic strip to me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

I'll take mediocre animation with good writing over gorgeous art with terrible scripts any day