Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

The racist warehouse manager at my job is 78 and has been working since he was 13. He's implied several times, in between slamming into racks with the bald tired forklift and refusing to unload trucks if the driver isn't white, that's he'd probably just die if he stopped working. He had a stroke a couple months after I started and came back in two months.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Just me and my 🌊dragon🐉 hanging out

luxury handset posted:

a lot of Olds who grew up in poverty and had to engage in child labor for survival look on it as a formative experience which was good for them rather than the sort of desperate scrabble to get fed that it often is in reality. they do the same thing with child beating, aka "i got spanked and i turned out fine"

I don’t think Huckabee actually grew up in poverty or had to work for survival. His father was a firefighter and his mother had an office job. His teenage work was at the local radio station. He graduated from high school, participated in extracurricular activities, and went to a private college.

venus de lmao
Apr 30, 2007

Call me "pixeltits"

Admiral Joeslop posted:

The racist warehouse manager at my job is 78 and has been working since he was 13. He's implied several times, in between slamming into racks with the bald tired forklift and refusing to unload trucks if the driver isn't white, that's he'd probably just die if he stopped working. He had a stroke a couple months after I started and came back in two months.

Maybe he should retire

Choom Gangster
Oct 29, 2006

Bombadilillo posted:

Literally heard this in real life. That it's a Buddhist temple symbol and hes not letting people upset it was stolen get in his way. (White Boomer with a thai wife)

Like, bro. Symbols mean things, and meanings change. But they still mean things

Have you hear that from a Native? Because we use the swastika a lot, and don't give a gently caress what parts of our culture white colonizers determine are appropriate to practice.

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Admiral Joeslop posted:

this is probably true, folks tend to decline real fast if they don't have something to do and for folks who aren't committed to a hobby or some other daily task, retirement can be a death sentence. for people who think of themselves as hard workers and work being their lives, if you remove work from them then you remove their entire reason to get out of bed.

humans naturally want to work and do stuff to build and accomplish things, even terminal Gamers who never leave their couches spend their time trying to go 100% completionist on games and collect virtual trophies because of this impulse

this is the biggest reason why i think mincome would work in reality because not many people would collect a check to just sit around doing nothing, you'd be able to find lots of folks to get poo poo done if you could organize their free labor simply because people like to be useful and helpful for others

AlbieQuirky posted:

I don’t think Huckabee actually grew up in poverty or had to work for survival. His father was a firefighter and his mother had an office job. His teenage work was at the local radio station. He graduated from high school, participated in extracurricular activities, and went to a private college.

i dont think he grew up in poverty but also he grew up in semi-rural arkansas in the 1950's and 1960's, where people still practiced some subsistence ways of life like gardening and having yard chickens - indicating they probably didn't have much money

he's trying to clumsily articulate "kids these days" rhetoric through this lens of a world that doesn't really exist anymore, although if he saw a young teenager working shifts at mcdonalds after high school to help pay apartment rent he'd probably tell them to get a better job

Mr. Fall Down Terror has a new favorite as of 17:16 on Sep 13, 2019

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

If Bernie had been Huckabee's sons' daddy maybe one wouldn't have killed a dog

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Bertrand Hustle posted:

Maybe he should retire

God willing, maybe something would get done at the warehouse.

Did I mention he's always blaring Rush Limbaugh? That's probably a given assumption.

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

My dad has someone at his job work there for 70 years, and they had a whole thing where they talked about how everyone should be like him.

It just sounds more depressing than anything

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!

luxury handset posted:

this is the biggest reason why i think mincome would work in reality because not many people would collect a check to just sit around doing nothing, you'd be able to find lots of folks to get poo poo done if you could organize their free labor simply because people like to be useful and helpful for others

People always go: "But who'd want to collect trash and fix plumbing and sewers if they could get paid to not?!"

And I'm like... me. I like plumbing. I like working with sewers. I'd happily haul trash around. Working is fun and physical work is often way more satisfying than working with people because there's a tangible result and also exercise is good.

trickybiscuits
Jan 13, 2008

yospos

luxury handset posted:

he's trying to make some kind of point about the value of hard work and forcing children to earn the things they get, but what he's actually saying is that his own father had much lower income and earning potential than bernie sanders which is weird given that huckabee is also the type to care about income as a marker for class and status

a lot of Olds who grew up in poverty and had to engage in child labor for survival look on it as a formative experience which was good for them rather than the sort of desperate scrabble to get fed that it often is in reality. they do the same thing with child beating, aka "i got spanked and i turned out fine"
Like Laura Ingalls Wilder. Her family was broke much of the time when she was growing up and there's a record at one point of her father receiving assistance from the government after losing his harvest in a natural disaster (can't find a link to cite right now). Her daughter Rose Wilder Lane turned out to become one of the founders of the American Libertarian Party and Wilder seemed to agree with some of her more cold-hearted economic sentiments during the Great Depression even though the standards she was embracing pretty much condemned her own parents for never doing well financially.

AlbieQuirky posted:

Oh, well gently caress him then. What a oval office.

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Listen buddy, we all got problems!

Bombadilillo posted:

Literally heard this in real life. That it's a Buddhist temple symbol and hes not letting people upset it was stolen get in his way. (White Boomer with a thai wife)

Was he defending himself using it? Or defending his thai wife using it? Telling Thai or Indian people they cant use a symbol they have used for literally thousands of years because some bad white people appropriated it 80 years ago isn't cool.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

It's also important to note that Bernie did grow up in relative poverty, the same kind that most inner city New Yorkers grew up with in the 40s and 50s where you only had enough money for the essentials, and his parents both died shortly after he graduated high school. He has the beliefs he does because he knows what it's like to be at the bottom of the ladder and how much more we could be doing for those people.

And a bunch of his relatives died in the Holocaust, so you can see why he might not be super happy about Trump courting white supremacists.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

The dock really fucks a case or nerfing it.

Mega Comrade posted:

Was he defending himself using it? Or defending his thai wife using it? Telling Thai or Indian people they cant use a symbol they have used for literally thousands of years because some bad white people appropriated it 80 years ago isn't cool.

He was defending neo-nazi's rallying with it because there was in his mind plausible reasons to have it displayed.

Like, you cant prove they mean nazi by it. :smug:

bhangraton
Aug 20, 2010

Sunswipe posted:

https://twitter.com/MosherMoz/status/1172401743830740992

"It's not a Nazi symbol, it's a German symbol that Germany stopped using because of its association with the Nazis. Totally different." ~ Someone who is totally not a Nazi.

The Iron Cross, and anything that looks like it, is one of those symbols that is much more heavily contested than the swastika so maybe relax until you have more info

The Wiki page for Independent Truck Company has a relevant anecdote detailing this exact issue: the designer made an Iron Cross logo and the other people felt it might be a bit too Nazi, and then went to do some research and found the Iron Cross everywhere, including Papal vestments.

I mean funnily enough anti-Catholic and anti-semitic shitheads point to the Iron Cross in Catholic imagery for centuries as proof that they're actually to this very day secretly and sinisterly pagan and Nazis ("Hitler was a Catholic!!!")

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

bhangraton posted:

The Iron Cross, and anything that looks like it, is one of those symbols that is much more heavily contested than the swastika so maybe relax until you have more info

The Wiki page for Independent Truck Company has a relevant anecdote detailing this exact issue: the designer made an Iron Cross logo and the other people felt it might be a bit too Nazi, and then went to do some research and found the Iron Cross everywhere, including Papal vestments.

I mean funnily enough anti-Catholic and anti-semitic shitheads point to the Iron Cross in Catholic imagery for centuries as proof that they're actually to this very day secretly and sinisterly pagan and Nazis ("Hitler was a Catholic!!!")

PewDiePie is a known neonazi and racist, so maybe you should relax before defending him.

Edit: I forgot you're the one that rushes in to defend German military worshippers when someone says something bad about them so maybe gently caress off instead.

Admiral Joeslop has a new favorite as of 17:54 on Sep 13, 2019

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

bhangraton posted:

And sometimes a known nazi calls another known nazi a King for wearing a thing to look like a nazi with plausable deniability as he pulls money from jews

GreenMetalSun
Oct 12, 2012

bhangraton posted:

Pewds is a Nazi, sorry to be the one to tell you this.

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Listen buddy, we all got problems!

bhangraton posted:

I could normally completely buy that its a catholic cross or Jordan cross or whatever, and yes its clearly being used by a few fashion labels. But at this point pewdiepie has been dogged by nazi accusations for years. Either its intentional or he's the dumbest loving idiot in the world.

T-man
Aug 22, 2010

Talk shit, get bzzzt.

Bertrand Hustle posted:

If Graham Linehan turns out to be trans I loving swear to God

We're not inviting them to the gay orgy / antifa leadership meetings, that's for sure.

This might be a gay communist thing, but what the gently caress kinda fantasy is "using a vibrator" those repressed fucks

Friendly reminder Nate Silver was all in for Hillary winning 2016, and that a lot of polling is still mostly old people with landlines going "oh yeah the Obama guy."

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

bhangraton posted:

Hmmm yes, I'm sure the guy with a long history of antisemitic jokes and calling people racial slurs during multiplayer games was actually wearing the Iron Cross for a completely innocuous purpose.

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.

T-man posted:

Friendly reminder Nate Silver was all in for Hillary winning 2016, and that a lot of polling is still mostly old people with landlines going "oh yeah the Obama guy."
This poll seems even worse than normal because it's not even "who would you vote for," it's "who do you think other people would vote for." It's olds guessing that other olds would vote for Biden.

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat
Heater gamer symbol.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

T-man posted:

We're not inviting them to the gay orgy / antifa leadership meetings, that's for sure.

This might be a gay communist thing, but what the gently caress kinda fantasy is "using a vibrator" those repressed fucks

He predicted Trump having a 35% chance. Which sounds low when you are talking polls but it's a probability.

With the 365 data Trump would win the election 1/3 of the times.

You can totally read his bias though, tried to be neutral but wanted hillary so so bad.

nerdz
Oct 12, 2004

Complex, statistically improbable things are by their nature more difficult to explain than simple, statistically probable things.
Grimey Drawer
https://twitter.com/AliceAvizandum/status/1172524629921083392?s=20

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Just me and my 🌊dragon🐉 hanging out

Bombadilillo posted:

He predicted Trump having a 35% chance. Which sounds low when you are talking polls but it's a probability.

With the 365 data Trump would win the election 1/3 of the times.

You can totally read his bias though, tried to be neutral but wanted hillary so so bad.

Of course he wanted Trump to lose, he’s not an actual demon.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

chitoryu12 posted:

Hmmm yes, I'm sure the guy with a long history of antisemitic jokes and calling people racial slurs during multiplayer games was actually wearing the Iron Cross for a completely innocuous purpose.
Man it's tiring when people pretend to suddenly not know what a dog whistle is.

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene

Bombadilillo posted:

Dharmic religions use the swastika all the time. That's fine. If he's got a Thai wife who is at least nominally Buddhist it is fine to have it. It's like when you go into an Italian's house, you can expect a bunch of crucifixes.

Since he is white he needs to be cautious about it, but in context it's fine.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

Shbobdb posted:

Dharmic religions use the swastika all the time. That's fine. If he's got a Thai wife who is at least nominally Buddhist it is fine to have it. It's like when you go into an Italian's house, you can expect a bunch of crucifixes.

Since he is white he needs to be cautious about it, but in context it's fine.
No in context it was not fine.

Bombadilillo posted:

He was defending neo-nazi's rallying with it because there was in his mind plausible reasons to have it displayed.

Like, you cant prove they mean nazi by it. :smug:

venus de lmao
Apr 30, 2007

Call me "pixeltits"

PurpleXVI posted:

People always go: "But who'd want to collect trash and fix plumbing and sewers if they could get paid to not?!"

And I'm like... me. I like plumbing. I like working with sewers. I'd happily haul trash around. Working is fun and physical work is often way more satisfying than working with people because there's a tangible result and also exercise is good.

I installed a new bathroom vanity in my apartment and the landlord paid for it, and I genuinely enjoyed the work, especially trying to figure out a workaround for the existing lovely plumbing from the previous owner. I solved the problem and I feel good about it.

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene

Vib Rib posted:

No in context it was not fine.

Oh, wow! Missed that bit. Yeah, that's super bad.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

*marches with swastika*

Could be a Buddhist protest.

*In white circle with red surround*

Communist Buddhists, I guess.

*held in the claws of a spread-winged eagle*

Just some appreciation for nature going on.

*Black Sun on helmet"

I don't remember the eightfold path symbol looking like that, must be a regional variation.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Choom Gangster posted:

Have you hear that from a Native? Because we use the swastika a lot, and don't give a gently caress what parts of our culture white colonizers determine are appropriate to practice.

If Buddhists in Thailand want to use it sure, but if you're a white dude in a western country, you probably shouldn't be waving it around no matter where your wife is from.

Choom Gangster
Oct 29, 2006

Skwirl posted:

If Buddhists in Thailand want to use it sure, but if you're a white dude in a western country, you probably shouldn't be waving it around no matter where your wife is from.

There's validity to that claim, but only because those western whites have *zero* interest in the indigenous culture of the stolen land they live on. If they knew anything about the history or culture of the 500 tribes that make up this country, it might be safer and better understood as a symbol of fortune and wisdom.

As long as America remains whitewashed, it will remain this profound taboo. The truth is, beyond being and ancient symbol, it's one of the most American. But, much like the Pilgrims, Europe gets to define the customs pf the US.

Even the most woke whites I meet turn chickenshit on Native issues. Trust me, white colonizers have, and continue to, hurt this country's Natives far more than a little whirling log hurts your white guilt.

Choom Gangster has a new favorite as of 19:38 on Sep 13, 2019

venus de lmao
Apr 30, 2007

Call me "pixeltits"

White people with swastika tattoos are invariably nazis though

Choom Gangster
Oct 29, 2006

Bertrand Hustle posted:

White people with swastika tattoos are invariably nazis though

They are not. There is of course a likelihood, but to make that assumption is to stoop to the level of an actual bigot through prejudice. In my experience, it's pretty clear who is and isn't being racist. Maybe that's because I'm not white, and people actually *are* racist toward me.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Maybe I'd put it as, a white person with a swastika tattoo is either a Nazi, or so screamingly oblivious to the concept of bad optics that if he isn't apologizing for it or hiding it or working on finding a way to change it at every step he doesn't really get a lot of sympathy for having people mistake him for a Nazi.

I mean I don't know if that's just a flavor of "well maybe she shouldn't dress that way"

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider
I feel like this is one of those things where hand-wringing over any hypothetical ambiguity is kind of pointless because it's always going to be pretty clear what kind of swastika-context is at play.

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

Choom Gangster posted:

This is not an issue for anyone who isn't a Nazi apologist making a bad faith argument. People know that it means something different for certain faiths and cultures, and they let context guide their response (similarly in my experience people from those cultures are not indifferent to it's status as a hate symbol, and address it when appropriate.)

Burning_Monk
Jan 11, 2005
Mad, Bad, and Dangerous to know

Data Graham posted:

Maybe I'd put it as, a white person with a swastika tattoo is either a Nazi, or so screamingly oblivious to the concept of bad optics that if he isn't apologizing for it or hiding it or working on finding a way to change it at every step he doesn't really get a lot of sympathy for having people mistake him for a Nazi.

I mean I don't know if that's just a flavor of "well maybe she shouldn't dress that way"

Example:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y66oWjiVw1Y

Jesco White (aka The Dancing Outlaw) was an inbred hillbilly who rose to fame in Hollywood with a hilarious documentary about his life that was passed around the industry as a joke. Roseanne and Tom Arnold (married at the time) decided to have him come on the show. This clip is when Tom ((jewish)) notices the swastika on his hand. The guy is literally too stupid to know what it is. They later go to a tattoo artist in the area and get it covered.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nastyman
Jul 11, 2007

There they sit
at the foot of the mountain
Taking hits
of the sacred smoke
Fire rips at their lungs
Holy mountain take us away

Choom Gangster posted:

They are not. There is of course a likelihood