Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bum the Sad
Aug 25, 2002
Hell Gem
Cared so little about the upgrade this year I forgot to set a timer for it. Got an in store pickup on 9/20 for a 256gb Pro Max white phone at like 7:25 no issue. Glad I didn’t want a green one.

Bum the Sad fucked around with this message at 15:24 on Sep 13, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
If I don’t care at all about making appointments to get an upgrade can I just waltz in a store a week later? Surely people don’t still line up like Black Friday for these things and totally clear them out?

The Illusive Man
Mar 27, 2008

~savior of yoomanity~
Red iPhone 11 128 GB ordered, along with the Apple clear case. Really looking forward to a slightly bigger, slightly faster phone for 3/5 the monthly payment of my 256 GB XS. After a year of use, the OLED and telephoto camera are not worth the price premium to me.

The Verizon system was buckling to its knees just as I was finishing the order and kept having to hit ‘finish order’ and getting an error message. After a minute it finally kicked me back to the main Verizon screen, which made me think the order didn’t finish at all. Then I got the confirmation email just as I was about to submit a second order attempt. :v:

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

So question about AppleCare. I’m doing a monthly payment now on the XS but once I get the 11 Pro would that plan just transfer over or do I need to speak to someone at Apple to do that?

Sock The Great
Oct 1, 2006

It's Lonely At The Top. But It's Comforting To Look Down Upon Everyone At The Bottom
Grimey Drawer
Pre-ordered the GreenMax at 8:02 and estimated delivery is 9/27 - 10/1. Willing to bet this gets bumped up by a few days. More than happy to wait a few days for the sexy new color.

Vintimus Prime
Apr 24, 2008

DERRRRRPPP what are picture threads for????

Went with the black 11, 64gb. Going from my X, the OLED wasn't enough to keep me from going with the killer t mobile trade in deal.

Healbot
Jul 7, 2006

very very very fucjable
very vywr very

Also ordered a Pro with 256 GB, hoping the Spotify app doesn't gently caress up this time and murder the battery like it did with my XS Max last year.

The Illusive Man
Mar 27, 2008

~savior of yoomanity~

Rolo posted:

If I don’t care at all about making appointments to get an upgrade can I just waltz in a store a week later? Surely people don’t still line up like Black Friday for these things and totally clear them out?

Last year it seemed like inventory was pretty spotty for the first couple weeks, especially for the XS Max. Even if the Apple store is cleared out you might have luck at big box or carrier stores.

eames
May 9, 2009

Rumor sites report that the new iPhones have hardware for wireless charging but the feature is disabled in software. Looking forward to see the ifixit teardown. This could explain a bit of the extra weight.

https://mobile.twitter.com/sonnydickson/status/1172352571807191040

fordan
Mar 9, 2009

Clue: Zero

Skeezy posted:

So question about AppleCare. I’m doing a monthly payment now on the XS but once I get the 11 Pro would that plan just transfer over or do I need to speak to someone at Apple to do that?

The AUP? The Applecare auto-cancels when you turn the phone in and a new 2-year plan starts.

If you're trading in I think you can get a prorated refund, but I'm not 100% on that.

The Illusive Man
Mar 27, 2008

~savior of yoomanity~

eames posted:

Rumor sites report that the new iPhones have hardware for wireless charging but the feature is disabled in software. Looking forward to see the ifixit teardown. This could explain a bit of the extra weight.

https://mobile.twitter.com/sonnydickson/status/1172352571807191040

I was curious if this was the case since it was canceled pretty late in the game, it sounded like.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG

fordan posted:

The AUP? The Applecare auto-cancels when you turn the phone in and a new 2-year plan starts.

If you're trading in I think you can get a prorated refund, but I'm not 100% on that.

I think you can trade in on IUP:

quote:

Can I trade in my current smartphone with Apple Trade In?

You can trade in your eligible device and join the iPhone Upgrade Program at an Apple Store when the new iPhone models become available beginning September 20.

https://www.apple.com/shop/iphone/iphone-upgrade-program

So I don't know if it doesn't work on preorders or something maybe, like you have to go into a store and do it. But there's always selling your old phone yourself and paying extra down.

Totally Huge
Mar 10, 2006

Cold brew got me like...

College Slice
I tried ordering a Verizon space black 256gb pro 11 right after my normal alarm at 7am Central went off and the ship date was already in October. For an unlocked phone it was 9/20 so I got that one.

I could have picked up a Verizon phone on release day but I don’t really want to venture into the Apple store that day. I’m sure Verizon will try and change me 30 bucks either way so whatever.

I decided last night I only liked the green cus it’s new.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

I'm going back to the classic saddle brown to go with my greenphone so it will look like an MGB. Hopefully it will be more reliable

CoolRanch
Apr 5, 2019
Going to try some clear tozo cases. I normally hate glossy tpu cases but they were free and one has a matte black bumper

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

So Silver Max with SS Silver Series 5, or do I go with a gold combo?

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG

Pants Donkey posted:

So Silver Max with SS Silver Series 5, or do I go with a gold combo?

Silver watch will contrast with less things IMO, but hell if that gold isn't pretty.

Totally Huge
Mar 10, 2006

Cold brew got me like...

College Slice
How annoying is it to activate an unlocked iPhone with Verizon? Is it just a matter of swapping the SIM and that’s all she wrote?

Will an activation fee show up on my bill for my convenience?

For the longest I’ve just gotten the Verizon phone ready to activate so I dunno how it works.

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

If I buy a 11 Pro and stick my ATT 6S SIM into it will I run into any issues? I’m stuck pre ordering because I don’t know my account holders SSN so I’m thinking just buy it unlocked and pop it in.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Totally Huge posted:

How annoying is it to activate an unlocked iPhone with Verizon? Is it just a matter of swapping the SIM and that’s all she wrote?

Will an activation fee show up on my bill for my convenience?

For the longest I’ve just gotten the Verizon phone ready to activate so I dunno how it works.

I’ve always swapped my sim with 0 issues and no fees.

Sock The Great
Oct 1, 2006

It's Lonely At The Top. But It's Comforting To Look Down Upon Everyone At The Bottom
Grimey Drawer

George H.W. oval office posted:

If I buy a 11 Pro and stick my ATT 6S SIM into it will I run into any issues? I’m stuck pre ordering because I don’t know my account holders SSN so I’m thinking just buy it unlocked and pop it in.

This will work.

Totally Huge
Mar 10, 2006

Cold brew got me like...

College Slice

MarcusSA posted:

I’ve always swapped my sim with 0 issues and no fees.

Awesome. Thanks.

Cough Drop The Beat
Jan 22, 2012

by Lowtax
Did somebody say XS pet photos?

I pre-ordered an 11 Pro 64GB in midnight green.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer
I just preordered my wife’s red iPhone 11, but it arrives on the 20th and she’s out of town until the 22nd. It’s set to be activated via the carrier, so it’s not going to impact her current service until she signs into the new iPhone right?

Cough Drop The Beat
Jan 22, 2012

by Lowtax

Krispy Wafer posted:

I just preordered my wife’s red iPhone 11, but it arrives on the 20th and she’s out of town until the 22nd. It’s set to be activated via the carrier, so it’s not going to impact her current service until she signs into the new iPhone right?

Correct. Her new phone won't swap over until it's physically activated and can sit around for months with no changes to her service if you wanted.

Sock The Great
Oct 1, 2006

Grimey Drawer
So my order went from "On Hold" when I initially placed it, to "In Process", and now it's back to "On Hold" again. Anyone else get this?

I just hope the delivery doesn't slip past the 9/27 to 10/1 window I had on my confirmation.

Ouhei
Oct 23, 2008

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
Ended up going with 2 iPhone 11's with 128GB of storage. If the we don't like the screen and miss the zoom lens we'll go back to Pro models next year, but wanted more storage and liked the idea of a cheaper bill every month.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Got my 11 pro max... it has to be shipped to my dads house... which is 4 hours away.

EpicNemesis
Dec 3, 2005
Totally forgot to preorder this morning. Now I’m on an early October delivery. I feel like apple usually is conservative with their estimates right?

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Can't decide if the 11 Pro would be too big for me. The X/XS was pushing it and this new one seems a little bigger. Guess I'll have to see in person first.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

EpicNemesis posted:

Totally forgot to preorder this morning. Now I’m on an early October delivery. I feel like apple usually is conservative with their estimates right?

Yeah and this year isn’t a big year so you’ll probably get it early or on launch day.

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

SeANMcBAY posted:

Can't decide if the 11 Pro would be too big for me. The X/XS was pushing it and this new one seems a little bigger. Guess I'll have to see in person first.

I think you'd be fine! But you're right; best to test drive in person. The differences are incredibly slight (0.5mm difference), except for the weight, which is up 11ish grams from the X/XS.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

enojy posted:

Found another proper looking iPhone 11 non-pro leather case. Buzz words: veg tanned full grain leather, looks close enough to what Apple should've made. Will patina and look sick (gross) as gently caress a la Saddle Brown.Tiny little bonus: the opening for the mute switch is chamfered so it shouldn't be as impossible to use without fingernails. Has "M U J J O" subtly embossed into it, but if it ends up being a quality product, I won't even give a poo poo about the free advertising that possibly no one else will ever notice.

They've been around since at least 2012 and don't seem shady at all so I took the plunge. With 10% discount code "ilovemujjo" and shipping to the US, it came to $42. Will give trip report but it's coming from Europe so I bet it doesn't show up for a few weeks.

They also sell on Amazon for a bit cheaper.

https://www.amazon.com/Mujjo-Leather-Compatible-Protective-Japanese/dp/B07GSDZ638/

This one is for the XR but some long term reviews say it doesn't age as well as the genuine Apple case, however I haven't found one yet that does.

FCKGW fucked around with this message at 19:23 on Sep 13, 2019

eames
May 9, 2009

Space Racist posted:

I was curious if this was the case since it was canceled pretty late in the game, it sounded like.

people speculate that the feature will be unlocked with the launch of the new airpods. kind of makes sense to me. launching the feature when there's nothing you can charge with it wouldn't make sense, assuming it is Qi incompatible.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Could it be used to charge another phone if you stack them in missionary position?

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

withak posted:

Could it be used to charge another phone if you stack them in missionary position?

rear end TO rear end

Over There
Jun 28, 2013

by Azathoth

Rolo posted:

rear end TO rear end

Lmao

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pOiJLayrC9E

benisntfunny
Dec 2, 2004
I'm Perfect.

eames posted:

people speculate that the feature will be unlocked with the launch of the new airpods. kind of makes sense to me. launching the feature when there's nothing you can charge with it wouldn't make sense, assuming it is Qi incompatible.

What? Why would the current Qi Airpods case work with this?

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

Given this is the second year of a middling update, I feel like they’re mention the reverse charging. Airpods have wireless charging, and you can always top up your friend’s phone.

If they’re gonna spring it on us later, then it’s because they were having tech issues and wanted to avoid a second airpower debacle.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

new thread rule by me:

Any and all iPhone pet pics are always acceptable. Portrait or not, post ‘em

Surprising lack of order confirmations and ship date screenshots going on itt!?

also this got a chuckle out of me