Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Blockhouse posted:

dude went on a facebook rant about how black women are bad at fighting games and only come to tournaments to try and gently caress him and suffered zero repercussions for that because he can hit the stick to make the character move good
oh good, when did that happen? I haven't really seen much of him since mvc3 disintegrated years ago so it's great to know he's actually a piece of poo poo and the stuff I'd heard that he was a real cool guy was total bullshit then, yikes rescinded

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

Captain Invictus posted:

oh good, when did that happen? I haven't really seen much of him since mvc3 disintegrated years ago so it's great to know he's actually a piece of poo poo and the stuff I'd heard that he was a real cool guy was total bullshit then, yikes rescinded

Quick google search tells me June 2017

https://blackgirlnerds.com/evilgeniuses-nychrisgs-comments-show-misogynoir-still-part-fighting-game-community/

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Blockhouse posted:

dude went on a facebook rant about how black women are bad at fighting games and only come to tournaments to try and gently caress him and suffered zero repercussions for that because he can hit the stick to make the character move good

I mean we got one guy on spousal abuse and he got what.....a six month time out?

The FGC is a trash for all the things Pat and Woolie think it's good.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

Pat and Woolie come off like those people that are only thinking of it as the most idealized kind of "lol hypebeast thuggery blowup popoffs and maybe some dudes going ape and breaking their sticks and rude chants" stuff, instead of realizing that sure that dumb stuff is fun in communities that are all in on it together and doing it for laughs and bullshitting around friends, but infil bruising his wife up and being such a coward they've never even owned up to it despite being convicted, Chris G being a racist and sexist shitheel sociopath, Chris T being a for real right wing evangelical thug and threatening LGBT people which CPT basically responded to with "Uh we're not really in a place to decide these things but uh if they did well that's bad and we won't accept that" despite factually being the only people in the only place to decide those things, influx of a whole lot of transphobic bullshit with the amount of trans people on stage in different events nowadays and so on.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
yea Pat and Woolie seem to forget that 99% of the FGC aren't famous streamers with lots of friends in the community and poo poo so they, ya know, get a bit different treatment? Like, yea it's fun when it's you and your friends playing Tekken badly while one of the people watching shouts "DIRTY, ABSOLUTE FILTH" every time you gently caress up a combo but it's less fun when you're on a stage with a literal convicted wife beater and a bunch of freaks are shouting monkey memes because you happen to be a shade tanner than a hard boiled egg.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
Who's shouting monkey memes at some on the stage because they're not white in the FGC?

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

Dias posted:

Who's shouting monkey memes at some on the stage because they're not white in the FGC?

Yeah that's one I've not actually ever seen here, that sounds like a fast rear end whooping coming in a lot of places, I've seen way more people be weird again over visible trans or queer people than anything lately.

If somehow you mean like, twitch chat posting the black guy face or two when a black guy does something, yeah that's obnoxious stupid poo poo, but that doesn't always have to be something malicious.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
My issue is that people are correlating two things that I don't think are correlated, at least not that directly: the "thuggery" that Pat and Woolie celebrate isn't what leads to the FGC's issues with abuse and harassment. Those issues are an issue with gaming as a whole, hell, with any male-dominated, competitive activity. They are issues that need to be solved by the FGC tho, don't get me wrong, this does not excuse the community for handwaving Infiltration's DV rap away or allowing...well, most of JWong's social circle to be around, if I have to be honest.

I'm just saying people don't pull that poo poo because the FGC is a place where you can talk poo poo and sometimes slam a stick into the ground, or because announcers say that people got "bodied" or someone refuses a handshake or whatever. I kinda feel the original post came REALLY close to making some REALLY weird assumptions, especially by contrasting poo poo with a white kid mass shooting. Now, we can argue if Woolie and Pat willfully avoid discussing the issues with the community in favor of focusing on the good aspects only, and I legit can't say if they do or if they don't because I dropped off of the podcast and didn't catch if there was any discussion about Infiltration tho.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

Dias posted:

Now, we can argue if Woolie and Pat willfully avoid discussing the issues with the community in favor of focusing on the good aspects only, and I legit can't say if they do or if they don't because I dropped off of the podcast and didn't catch if there was any discussion about Infiltration tho.

I also stopped listening ages ago but that's definitely how I remember them addressing (non-Smash) FGC incidents in the past and I can't imagine much has changed - they'd joke about certain things but they'd very obviously avoid taking serious stances and whenever they were forced to there'd be a whole lot of fence-sitting "we don't know what really happened" blah blah bullshit.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

I'm re-watching the SBF Deadly Premonition LP and man, it bums me out that I have nothing to watch on Youtube anymore. These guys were the last holdout of my Youtube subs to switch to streaming and since they dissolved I pretty much only watch RLM stuff on Youtube these days.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

I'm mildly irritated they keep saying Geno won't be in Smash Ult because he already has a costume in Smash Ult. He does not, unless I'm taking crazy pills and missed it.

That said, he probably won't still be in since a) Square is a gently caress b) all of fighter pass additions have been big third party hype machines / characters of significance and c) I'm not allowed to have my Ridley/Banjo/whatever.

explosivo posted:

I'm re-watching the SBF Deadly Premonition LP and man, it bums me out that I have nothing to watch on Youtube anymore. These guys were the last holdout of my Youtube subs to switch to streaming and since they dissolved I pretty much only watch RLM stuff on Youtube these days.

I feel ya I've got a bunch of "once a week/few times a month" style channels, but nothing that really puts out a constant stream of content that I can have on the background. Vinesauce Joel/Vinny vods have come the closest, but aren't quite the same they're just solo and only really can play off chat or the game.

Oxyclean fucked around with this message at 15:36 on Sep 12, 2019

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream
Geno wont be in smash because he's less cool than any other Mario rpg one poo poo cast member.

Put Vivian in smash

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Geno was a mii costume in Smash 4, I wanna say.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Oxyclean posted:

I'm mildly irritated they keep saying Geno won't be in Smash Ult because he already has a costume in Smash Ult. He does not, unless I'm taking crazy pills and missed it.

That said, he probably won't still be in since a) Square is a gently caress b) all of fighter pass additions have been big third party hype machines / characters of significance and c) I'm not allowed to have my Ridley/Banjo/whatever.

I feel ya I've got a bunch of "once a week/few times a month" style channels, but nothing that really puts out a constant stream of content that I can have on the background. Vinesauce Joel/Vinny vods have come the closest, but aren't quite the same they're just solo and only really can play off chat or the game.

Yeah, he's a spirit, not a Mii costume.

Scrap Dragon
Oct 6, 2013

SECRET TECHNIQUE:
DARK SHADOW
BLACK FALLEN ANGEL!

tbf, he was a Mii Costume in Smash 4 and it’s easy to forget they didn’t all make the jump to Ultimate

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

explosivo posted:

there's still plenty of folks who do good fun videos on youtube. Alpharad is a good boy who makes funny smash videos and has a side channel where he does non-smash videos(his spelunky co-op runs with complete newbies are loving hysterical). Chip Cheezum continues his inexorable march through MGSV, and has done extremely good lps of other games like revengeance and wonderful 101. ProZD and friends play a whole hell of a lot of mario party and other stuff and it's pretty drat hilarious. for more obscure things, I've just recently been introduced to Kruggsmash, who seems to be the only Dwarf Fortress LPer worth a drat. He puts in 30-40 hours of effort per 30 minute weekly episode, and it shows. Some really fascinating stuff and has made me really tempted to give DF a go(at least, when the steam version shows up with updated visuals and improved UI).

Here is his lengthy playthrough of a single fort, Monsterkiller, where I wound up actually caring about a fair number of the dwarves in it. DF is wild with the poo poo it can do with dwarf mental health and stuff.

and the first episode:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sm99232lrWw&hd=1

So yeah, if you're hurting for stuff to watch on youtube, just ask for recs for other folks to follow and there's probably someone you'd click with.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Supergreatfriend has a ton of great videos, not daily but pretty regular throughout the week.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

Geno was a mii costume in Smash 4, I wanna say.
Yeah, the absence of his costume in Ult, after it was in 4, made some people feel like it could open the possibility for him becoming a fighter.

I'm still skeptical it will happen, but IMO it's not as off the table as it could be.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Yeah all of the Terry leg photoshop in the smash thread have been outstanding

The shulk one is my favorite so far because at first you might not immediately notice and it also looks way better

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Captain Invictus posted:

there's still plenty of folks who do good fun videos on youtube.with.

Hey thanks for this! I'll check some of these recommendations out.

A good poster
Jan 10, 2010
Woolie just doesn't do Scrublords content with trash fighting games anymore, does he? His Get Into Fighting Games videos with his FGC pals are strictly for good games, right? He once said on the podcast he was willing to make his friends endure poverty, but that hasn't happened yet, has it?

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

You don't endure poverty, it's a lifestyle

Big Scary Owl
Oct 1, 2014

by Fluffdaddy
Scrublords was great. Would be pretty interesting to get someone good at some random kusoge

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

explosivo posted:

Hey thanks for this! I'll check some of these recommendations out.
maybe I am biased for Alpharad because he speaks the absolute truth :coolfish:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KTewnepzU2Y&hd=1&t=325s

edit: a couple other fellas I sporadically follow for very specific videos rather than their entire catalogues you might enjoy, they're not multiperson groups(usually) but hey, you never know, they might click for you

Many A True Nerd does some really good, fun Stellaris(and other strategy game) playthroughs where he cuts out most/all the chaff and narrates goings-on so much you can have it on in the background and still get everything that's going on. He's not necessarily GOOD at the game and often misunderstands a ton of poo poo(he's pretty similar to giant bomb and SBF in that way) but he's really good at getting me engaged in it. He also then incorporates past runs' empires into future playthroughs, which is always fun.

Beaglerush's XCOM playthroughs are nuts because he plays them on ironman impossible using the(in the case of the original 2013 XCOM runs) Long War mod, which SIGNIFICANTLY changes the pace and difficulty of the game, and generally not in your favor. His original War Within playthrough is legit one of my favorite playthroughs I've watched most of(fell off when he went on hiatus, not sure if he ever finished it but it was incredibly fun until then). He does XCOM 2 now which I'm sure are great too but I just never got into XCOM 2 like I did 1.

Captain Invictus fucked around with this message at 22:43 on Sep 12, 2019

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Captain Invictus posted:

Many A True Nerd does some really good, fun Stellaris(and other strategy game) playthroughs where he cuts out most/all the chaff and narrates goings-on so much you can have it on in the background and still get everything that's going on. He's not necessarily GOOD at the game and often misunderstands a ton of poo poo(he's pretty similar to giant bomb and SBF in that way) but he's really good at getting me engaged in it. He also then incorporates past runs' empires into future playthroughs, which is always fun.

MATN's also got a lot of really good Fallout content. He differs from the goon hivemind on Bethseda (in that he has any positive thoughts left) but stuff like his 'no kill run' and 'kill everything runs' in New Vegas and FO3 were great. Jon's also done runs of stuff like FO:NV Dust and that one that makes FO4 a nuclear winter (which just seem like exercises in irritation to me) but they're worth a watch.

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

"Is that your final dandy?"
Pat on how bras and boobs work.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
I knew it was coming and I'm glad he went there

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 24 days!

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

Geno wont be in smash because he's less cool than any other Mario rpg one poo poo cast member.

Put Vivian in smash

Put Meowscular Chef in Smash

Also Doom Slayer

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Dawgstar posted:

MATN's also got a lot of really good Fallout content. He differs from the goon hivemind on Bethseda (in that he has any positive thoughts left) but stuff like his 'no kill run' and 'kill everything runs' in New Vegas and FO3 were great. Jon's also done runs of stuff like FO:NV Dust and that one that makes FO4 a nuclear winter (which just seem like exercises in irritation to me) but they're worth a watch.

Jon is great.

I’m poking my head into this thread because I’ve been watching some of Matt’s stuff on YouTube and it’s good but I can’t remember if he was the SBF guy who turned out to be a bigot and a Gamergater or what.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

Arivia posted:

Jon is great.

Im poking my head into this thread because Ive been watching some of Matts stuff on YouTube and its good but I cant remember if he was the SBF guy who turned out to be a bigot and a Gamergater or what.

None of them did, Matt is chill.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Yeah uh nobody in best friends is a chud or anything, you must be thinking of a different group

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

A month ago Matt was posting on twitter about how he had a great time hanging out at a Pride Parade. He's a good dude.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Matt is the good version of DSP

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

"Is that your final dandy?"

Roth posted:

Matt is the good version of Fred Durst

somepartsareme
Mar 10, 2012

Diggle Hell is a Real
(Swingin') Place
matt and woolie and liam are good.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Pat's weird, but funny.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
Pat's the one you're thinking of most likely. He's neither a bigot or a Gamergater, but his girlfriend is a collaborator. In fairness to her I think she's more profoundly ignorant than actually into that poo poo. Still though, finding out she associates with literal fascists really put me off watching their content.

Viridiant
Nov 7, 2009

Big PP Energy
Yeah I think Paige is just kinda...she doesn't pick her friends well. Outside of that I've seen her be extremely encouraging to transgender viewers, and just be generally positive and not lovely.

She's weird but mostly harmless.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

Rhonne posted:

A month ago Matt was posting on twitter about how he had a great time hanging out at a Pride Parade. He's a good dude.

That's another bit that's always made me so cool with Matt, he's been up front about being a loving guy for a while.