Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BeeSeeBee
Oct 25, 2007

The Wiggly Wizard posted:

I wouldn't say useless. Our complex wanted to raise my rent 12% this year (we pay 2600 for 1b/1b 650 sqft) and we only got a better offer (4%) by making a big stink. This removes a lot of the dread we had about the next predatory lease renewal.

Still sucks if you need to move.

Yeah, it would have helped here in the last year too. Mountain View's rent control doesn't cover single family homes or condos (or anything built after 1995, but we do get eviction protection), so we ate a 15% increase last year.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

The Wiggly Wizard posted:

I wouldn't say useless. Our complex wanted to raise my rent 12% this year (we pay 2600 for 1b/1b 650 sqft) and we only got a better offer (4%) by making a big stink. This removes a lot of the dread we had about the next predatory lease renewal.

Still sucks if you need to move.
2600 holy gently caress are you in SF?

Solaris 2.0
May 14, 2008

I don’t know enough to say one way another, some form of rent control is probably needed.
But from what I understand is California’s real problem wrt housing are rich NIMBY’s who refuse to let anything be built.

I’m part of a YIMBY and transit group in MD (we push for high density housing with mass transit options) and dealing with rich NIMBYS has been a pain in my rear end. They have time, money, and fight everything even the most modest housing solutions.

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion. It is by the juice of Java that pedaling acquires speed, the teeth acquire stains, stains become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion.

Solaris 2.0 posted:

I don’t know enough to say one way another, some form of rent control is probably needed.
But from what I understand is California’s real problem wrt housing are rich NIMBY’s who refuse to let anything be built.

I’m part of a YIMBY and transit group in MD (we push for high density housing with mass transit options) and dealing with rich NIMBYS has been a pain in my rear end. They have time, money, and fight everything even the most modest housing solutions.

In San Francisco they had the audacity to do a "Go Fund Me" and raise $$$ so their lawyer could stop homeless shelters from being built.

In other words, they didn't even use their own $$$.

The Wiggly Wizard
Aug 21, 2008

WAR CRIME GIGOLO posted:

San Jose, baby

Colin Mockery
Jun 24, 2007
Rawr

WAR CRIME GIGOLO posted:

I think that’s closer to the price of a studio in SF.

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

drat dude brutal.

Seph
Jul 12, 2004

Please look at this photo every time you support or defend war crimes. Thank you.
2600 is pretty standard for a 1br in LA in nicer parts of town.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

I called DiFi, Harris, and my rep about Trump's plan to pull the homeless off the street forcibly and house them in government institutions. They'd all heard and issued statements against it.

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

Arsenic Lupin posted:

I called DiFi, Harris, and my rep about Trump's plan to pull the homeless off the street forcibly and house them in government institutions. They'd all heard and issued statements against it.

These are called workhouses. Big in the early industrial years.

cheese
Jan 7, 2004

Shop around for doctors! Always fucking shop for doctors. Doctors are stupid assholes. And they get by because people are cowed by their mystical bullshit quality of being able to maintain a 3.0 GPA at some Guatemalan medical college for 3 semesters. Find one that makes sense.

Solaris 2.0 posted:

I mean, you can't talk about CA's housing issue without talking about Prop 13. One of CA's real problem with housing is that the SF bay area is the most desirable job market in the country, but has dog poo poo public transit, difficult to overcome geographical limitations and just the most shameless "socially liberal, fiscally conservative" democratic assholes outside of Manhattan.

Dr. Fraiser Chain
May 18, 2004

Redlining my shit posting machine

X-posting

Aeka 2.0
Nov 16, 2000

:ohdear: Have you seen my apex seals? I seem to have lost them.

Dinosaur Gum
Sacramento

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Sacramento has no hills to get in the way of biking.

Too bad about the heat and about the lifted pickup trucks trying to mow down bikers tho.

Dr. Fraiser Chain
May 18, 2004

Stay out of Sacramento. I'd like it to remain affordable it's a boring poo poo hole full of rednecks, guns, and violence. You would hate it there

Wicked Them Beats
Apr 1, 2007

Moralists don't really *have* beliefs. Sometimes they stumble on one, like on a child's toy left on the carpet. The toy must be put away immediately. And the child reprimanded.

The heat isn't too bad once you're used to it.

But a truck will kill me on the way home from work some day.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Sacramento is doomed by its crumbling levee system and climate change is going to make it increasingly intolerable during the summer, or so I gather.

Zachack
Jun 1, 2000

Wicked Them Beats posted:

The heat isn't too bad once you're used to it.

But a truck will kill me on the way home from work some day.

If you get used to it then you're already lost.

Zachack
Jun 1, 2000

Sacramento has a pretty good train museum.

Sacramento has more trees than any other state capital.

Sacramento is a good place to live if you want to visit any of those other cities, but can't afford to move.

Sacramento feels pretty good if you just drove up the 5 or the 99 and still have memories of Bakersfield, Fresno, or Stockton.

Tacier
Jul 22, 2003

Zachack posted:

Sacramento feels pretty good if you just drove up the 5 or the 99 and still have memories of Bakersfield, Fresno, or Stockton.

This is the truth. It’s got an excellent and convenient airport as well. Unfortunately, as has been noted, it will be washed away when our deteriorating levees inevitably fail.

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

We should fill the central valley with water so we can have a californian sea

Dr. Fraiser Chain
May 18, 2004

Zachack posted:

Sacramento has a pretty good train museum.

Sacramento has more trees than any other state capital.

Sacramento is a good place to live if you want to visit any of those other cities, but can't afford to move.

I'm sorry, don't you mean the Farm to Fork capital? I'm pretty sure that's even on a water tower there

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.

WAR CRIME GIGOLO posted:

This used to be a real thing right?

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
Briefly, yeah. The Great Flood of 1862 flooded most of the central valley to the point you could take a boat down it from SF to LA. It's not a big part of the USA's larger cultural memory despite the scale because it happened smack in the middle of the Civil War on the farthest flung of frontiers.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

Sydin posted:

Briefly, yeah. The Great Flood of 1862 flooded most of the central valley to the point you could take a boat down it from SF to LA. It's not a big part of the USA's larger cultural memory despite the scale because it happened smack in the middle of the Civil War on the farthest flung of frontiers.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Great_Flood_of_1862

"The ARkStorm dumped an equivalent of 10 feet of rainfall in California, in the form of rain and snow, over a period of 43 days"

:tif:

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

WAR CRIME GIGOLO posted:

I'd hope it would be a huge lake so we can draw fresh water from it.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

To be clear, parts of the Central and San Joaquin Valleys periodically flooded throughout prehistory and into the modern era, and in some cases only don't flood a few times every century now because California built a comprehensive system designed to prevent it, and also not incidentally siphon off as much water as possible and when that's not enough (which is always) we'll go ahead and suck up what's in the ground too.

But, also, it appears that California's climate has swung between rainer and dryer periods on cycles of anywhere from a couple of decades to several centuries in length, and so irrespective of climate change we may be entering into either a dryer or wetter period than any experience in CA's relatively short recorded history. And then factor in climate change and how that affects el nino/la nina/etc. and the reality is that we simply cannot predict what is in store for CA's climate over the coming century, really.

There's a nonzero chance that by preventing the periodic flooding, we're permanently eliminating the ability of parts of the aquifer under the valley from recharging, which is also uhhh, maybe really bad? There are numerous projects aimed at improving/managing recharge, my understanding is that they mostly rely on diverting water to recharge on the rare occasions when there's excess water beyond that required by environmental regulations to stay in rivers plus what water rights holders extract, and that's uhhh, not a reassuring situation either, lol.

Here's a collection of stuff on prehistoric flooding:
https://cepsym.org/proceedings-1996.php

And a little infographic thingy on aquifer recharge projects:
http://waterinthewest.stanford.edu/groundwater/charts/recharge-interactive/index.html

Dr. Fraiser Chain
May 18, 2004

They should be injecting into the aquifers during the rainy season imo.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.
If you read Cadillac Desert you'll walk out absolutely pissed scared about California's future. I did a year ago and it rattled me so bad that I'm in process of moving out of the state. Take that for what you will.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

Take that for what you will.
I take it that we should hand these out to all new arrivals. Along with Arizonabay.jpg for the big one.

But yeah, depending on who talks we're either in a historic dry or a historic wet spell and will flip soon.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Leperflesh posted:

Yeah IANAL but that seems like it opens another avenue of legal protest, which is that the law is more or less tailored to specifically attack a particular industry/handful of companies. How are the state's lawyers going to tell judges with a straight face that Oh, the people in all those other industries? They're "legitimately" independent contractors, even though their employers don't pass the tests we just made up, but Uber and Lyft and Grubhub, they're different.

The bald fact of it is that a ton of people have been getting exploited by the giant loophole of the forced independent contractor status, in industries in which those people really don't have the option of being employees instead, and it's kinda bullshit for the state to focus on punishing lyft et. al. while letting the rest get off scott free.

I mean totally gently caress Uber especially, it's the worst. But come on, why should travel agents be excluded from receiving employee benefits when they basically all work for a single employer for years, and those employers do nothing but arrange travel using travel agents?

Laws specifically target specific industries/companies all the time. There are explicit exceptions in any type of regulatory law.

Not to say that some bs contract based reasoning can invalidate this law, but it being unfair....I don't see it.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

Leperflesh posted:

There's a nonzero chance that by preventing the periodic flooding, we're permanently eliminating the ability of parts of the aquifer under the valley from recharging, which is also uhhh, maybe really bad?

Aquifer recharge is mostly a load of poo poo. Even in 70s, the ground has dropped more than 25-ft, even worse in some places. Aquifers work because water is filling the voids that then get extracted. One those voids are emptied, they soil particles collapse under their own weight no longer suspended up via "incompressible" water molecules. Once it's gone, it's gone because now you have a dense material where the voids no longer exist. There is very little in the way of recharging them even via fracking techniques won't make enough of it stick. We'd be lucky if we could put even 5% back if we wanted to. What we've done with the Central Valley and Ogalla aquifers is loving tragedy almost on par with the Amazon. We had 1000+ years of water that we could have used carefully in times of drought to sustain a billion people to provide drinking water, and carefully planned agricultural crops for nourishment and re-using run-off. Instead we blew threw it in 100 years to give shareholder and landed-gentry more profits.

Both will permanently be gone by 2100.

Xaris fucked around with this message at 22:59 on Sep 13, 2019

Wicked Them Beats
Apr 1, 2007

Moralists don't really *have* beliefs. Sometimes they stumble on one, like on a child's toy left on the carpet. The toy must be put away immediately. And the child reprimanded.

Wasn't that flood the reason they basically picked up Sacramento and raised the town an extra ten feet?

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Xaris posted:

Aquifer recharge is mostly a load of poo poo.

It's a lot more complicated than you're making it out.
https://mavensnotebook.com/2018/08/29/managed-aquifer-recharge-in-california/

Basically, some parts of the aquifer are clay fines, and those undergo compaction, and then while they can still recharge somewhat and store water, they don't re-inflate.
But there are also large parts of the aquifers in CA that are sand and gravel type layers that can definitely absorb tens or hundreds of millions of acre-feet of water, if we bother to build recharge projects: and we are bothering, to the tune of billions of dollars and literally hundreds of projects statewide, right now. Estimates in the linked report indicate there's something on the order of 140 million acre-feet of underground storage capacity available in the central valley, which is roughly similar to the full capacity of the entire state's above-ground reservoirs.

Recharge is accomplished through several different methods, and which method is best depends on the exact geohydrology in the given area. There are already successful and operating recharge projects using standing surface pools, flooding of fallow cropland during winter, and direct injection into wells.

There's problems, lots of them. Contamination of subsurface water, the problem of salinification particularly in the san joaquin valley, the fact that pumping up and then drawing out of water in these aquifers means flushing chemicals such as arsenic that are stored in the subsurface rocks out into the water we then intend to use, and of course, lots of complications arising from our stupid state water rights system.

So I'm not trying to be overly optimistic here, a lot of places that have suffered from severe subsistence are not going to be recovered, period. That compaction has happened and is likely irreversable. But aquifer recharge is not "mostly a load of poo poo" at least as it pertains to broadly adding water back to depleted aquifers statewide.

The Wiggly Wizard
Aug 21, 2008

Xaris posted:

Aquifer recharge is mostly a load of poo poo. Even in 70s, the ground has dropped more than 25-ft, even worse in some places. Aquifers work because water is filling the voids that then get extracted. One those voids are emptied, they soil particles collapse under their own weight no longer suspended up via "incompressible" water molecules. Once it's gone, it's gone because now you have a dense material where the voids no longer exist. There is very little in the way of recharging them even via fracking techniques won't make enough of it stick. We'd be lucky if we could put even 5% back if we wanted to. What we've done with the Central Valley and Ogalla aquifers is loving tragedy almost on par with the Amazon. We had 1000+ years of water that we could have used carefully in times of drought to sustain a billion people to provide drinking water, and carefully planned agricultural crops for nourishment and re-using run-off. Instead we blew threw it in 100 years to give shareholder and landed-gentry more profits.

Both will permanently be gone by 2100.

Nah please read

https://californiawaterblog.com/2015/12/27/the-earth-is-falling-land-subsidence-and-water-management-in-california/

They even use the two figures you posted haha

fermun
Nov 4, 2009

Some anti-vaxxers just threw some kind of sticky red liquid from the 2nd floor viewing gallery in the state senate onto the legislators while shouting "this is baby blood"

edit:
https://twitter.com/ZavalaA/status/1172691491333869569

fermun fucked around with this message at 03:10 on Sep 14, 2019

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
Thank god AntiVaxxers are showing restraint and presenting rational arguments for their side.

Fill Baptismal
Dec 15, 2008
The anti-vaccine people that SB 276 dragged out of the woodwork are kinda freaking me out a little tbh. As a political scientist I always knew that they existed, but it’s a little more visceral seeing them out in force, in my state. Feels not great man. Hope they all follow through on their threats to leave.

fermun
Nov 4, 2009
It's confirmed to be menstrual blood by CHP
https://twitter.com/ahartreports/status/1172673325396480000

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ProperGanderPusher
Jan 13, 2012

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

If you read Cadillac Desert you'll walk out absolutely pissed scared about California's future. I did a year ago and it rattled me so bad that I'm in process of moving out of the state. Take that for what you will.

Pretty much everywhere west of the Rockies is screwed in terms of future droughts.

Which is why the wife and I are looking at somewhere back east. We’ll need to live in a concrete bunker to withstand the Sandersonesque hurricanes and annual F5 tornado storms, but we won’t be lacking for water.