Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Barnsy
Jul 22, 2013

Steakandchips posted:

You guys are now making me lean more towards the SV650 than the CB650R.

Particularly the fact that you lot say the SV is more fun.

Also, it’s way cheaper since there are decent used ones around, ie 3 to 4K for a used SV. Instead of 7K for a new CB (no used ones around).

Thanks guys, I’m feeling good about taking a test ride soon!

Having owned a cb650 for over a year, and having tested the older cbr650r, I can tell you that it's a good bike with nothing special about it (Honda). However, the CBR650 was the worst of the two with a really vibey dash (vibed so much you could hear it over the idling engine at a stop) and couldn't decide what it wanted to be. From reviews, the latest gen cbr650r are almost a completely different bike. Test ride one, but I agree with the others, the torque of the sv will be more fun 99% of the time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

Tim Raines IRL posted:

This bike was $5000. I'd say I'd like to keep it under 7, less is better, and used bikes in that price range are also fine.

your other info is appreciated and I will start checking those out. What's a VStrom like off road / on real bad roads? They have a ton of those used and new up the road in all sorts of different options.

I’m going to suggest something crazy, but hear me out.

Buy two bikes. Get a small dirt bike like a ttr125 or a 75cc 2t or a klx110 with big wheels. Those are all pretty liquid so you can sell if you don’t like it and there should be a decent number used that aren’t totally beat to poo poo and even if they are they’re super simple and easy to fix.

Then go buy something like a sv650 or other road bike.

I say this because it sounds like what you want is more actual dirt riding rather than adv touring on fireroads. For riding in the dirt, a small dirt bike is better and easier and more fun than any 350lb dual sport. Shockingly, a road bike is also generally nicer to ride on the road. With your budget you can get fine examples of both and are more likely to have more fun.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Jazzzzz posted:

An SV650 is fine on the highway, jesus christ.

It really is. It’s geared to do 130mph, highway speed is not stressing it.

HenryJLittlefinger posted:

Someone said a day or two ago that all the hardons for Silly Balls’s Goldwing is a sign of the average age of this forum and I think this discussion is just more fuel on that fire.

Carth Dookie posted:

That Goldwing is sick and I'll hear no word against it.

Bro chill I have some gray hair, a bad knee, and a kid, the Goldwing is baller as gently caress.

What if I said I have both an SV and a Goldwing? :psypop:

But yeah, this forum is one of the weird places that gets new members but also has retained the ones from like Y2K (I’m so old). Given our opinions on them, this forum skews older than things like reddit.

We’re all still under the average ADVRider.com age though!! :woop:

Gorson
Aug 29, 2014

Jazzzzz posted:

An SV650 is fine on the highway, jesus christ.

Skreemer posted:

It's all about what you're comfortable with.

I am loving miserable on the Hawk GT (same as SV650) on the freeway. It's way too cramped for me and going straight is boring as hell anyway buy a road couch if you want to "enjoy" freeway riding. It's almost as if we are different ages and body types and preferences, and everyone's experience is anecdotal.

Lol you old gently caress

Don't make me start a dad bike thread.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Me: I’m still in my 30’s I’m not that old

Also me:

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

Gorson posted:

Don't make me start a dad bike thread.

Please do. I want to talk about BMW bikes. I am 34 and really want an R1250R, but I know that's too much bike for me for right now.

But I still lust after BMW bikes.

So please do create a dad bike thread.

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002
Don't make me post my GS with bar risers, aux lights, and street tires. Slavvy might have a stroke

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Jazzzzz posted:

Don't make me post my GS with bar risers, aux lights, and street tires. Slavvy might have a stroke

I don't stroke myself to IT professional dads sorry.

right arm
Oct 30, 2011

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002

Slavvy posted:

I don't stroke myself to IT professional dads sorry.

Still got that subscription to Easyriders?

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002
Please make a dad bike thread. Or touring bike thread. Then we can leave this thread to under 30 demographic, who will continue recommending same 3 dirt bikes to each other.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Who thinks they are a dad enough dude to start such a thread?

Hekk
Oct 12, 2012

'smeper fi

There are already three bike threads and none of them get posted in so much that it's difficult to follow.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

Yeah, CA has like 10 regulars, and maybe 5 newbies that post at a time, the whole forum could be a thread in AI and it'd be slower than the chat thread, unless Sage and Slavvy were arguing.

Shelvocke
Aug 6, 2013

Microwave Engraver
I bought a touring bike three months after I turned 30, so true it hurts

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

Nitrox posted:

Please make a dad bike thread. Or touring bike thread. Then we can leave this thread to under 30 demographic, who will continue recommending same 3 dirt bikes to each other.

Three dirt bikes seems kind of excessive initially but what were you thinking? Trials bike, 2t and a 450/500?

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002

builds character posted:

Three dirt bikes seems kind of excessive initially but what were you thinking? Trials bike, 2t and a 450/500?
They all the same to me, I've no idea

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

Steakandchips posted:

Please do. I want to talk about BMW bikes. I am 34 and really want an R1250R, but I know that's too much bike for me for right now.

But I still lust after BMW bikes.

So please do create a dad bike thread.

Is that a dad bike? A GS, sure, but the R doesn't give me dad vibes. I used to really want an R1200GS (now 1250) but now that I've actually started riding they just seem enormous, and I'd probably never actually use it for any "adventuring."

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

I think dad bike is a fluid state of mind. There have to be a few constraints like comfort and long-travel ability, but overall I think a lot of bikes of different styles have the ability. Jim Silly Balls’s Goldwing is a dad bike. Gorson’s VFR is a dad bike. Ulf’s Nighthawk is a dad bike. My gut says that any big BMW is pretty good dad bike material. Even Pokie’s XR.

Being a dad and having a bike doesn’t make yours a dad bike and you don’t have to be a dad for your bike to be a dad bike. I’m a dad and I don’t think my DR650 (supermoto, not really set up for comfort) is really a dad bike, but Coydog’s DR650 is more dad bike (dirtish wheels, big rear end top box) and I don’t think he’s a dad.

HenryJLittlefinger fucked around with this message at 16:57 on Sep 14, 2019

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib

Being a dad and having a bike doesn’t make yours a dad bike and you don’t have to be a dad for your bike to be a dad bike. I’m a dad and I don’t think my DR650 (supermoto, not really set up for comfort) is really a dad bike, but Coydog’s DR650 is more dad bike (dirtish wheels, big rear end top box) and I don’t think he’s a dad.

This both of these are correct assessments, and I had not really thought of it that way before. In the winter I put a windscreen and mitts on it, which I suppose makes it more dad bike.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

HJL, the FZ6 is normally way too sporty to be a dad bike, but request your assessment of its dadliness with a beadrider, full luggage/camping setup and intercooler repair supplies.

Builds Character, YZ 250, and Orange/Blue street legal 450/501 is the way I'd go, who's the top dog in the trials market, is it still Beta?

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

Elviscat posted:

HJL, the FZ6 is normally way too sporty to be a dad bike, but request your assessment of its dadliness with a beadrider, full luggage/camping setup and intercooler repair supplies.

Builds Character, YZ 250, and Orange/Blue street legal 450/501 is the way I'd go, who's the top dog in the trials market, is it still Beta?

Mate, you have beads on your seat. Beads on your seat are old-uncle as all hell.

Yours isn't a Dad Bike, it's a Grand Dad Bike.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Something about bead seats screams 'wears a denim jacket to match his jeans', they're like right on the flabby dad-greasy uncle intersection.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Slavvy posted:

Something about bead seats screams 'wears a denim jacket to match his jeans', they're like right on the flabby dad-greasy uncle intersection.

Every time I see bead seats, I think of John Candy in Uncle Buck.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Uncle buck would definitely be rolling a ratty KLR or Bonneville so it checks out.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Shelvocke posted:

I bought a touring bike three months after I turned 30, so true it hurts

I bought a Ducati Monster the day before my 40th birthday. Mind you, with my bike history, that still counts as a dad bike IMO.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

RNineT: cool hipster dadbike.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Elviscat posted:

This bike is clearly ridden by a dude who has a blues rock cover band that plays at Lupita’s Mexican Restaurant on Thursday nights and wears light colored denim and hiking boots when he rides.

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

I'm pretty sure elviscat rode his bike across the entire US, so at that point you can have all the beads you want and it's still not a dad bike

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

Correct.

It's a Grand Dad Bike.

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

Elviscat posted:

Honda/montesa is supposed to be pretty good too! Folks like gas gas and Sherco too. Much to my shame, I don’t have a trials bike.

I think probably yz250 depends on if you’re racing or not. X trainer would be nice for just a chill woods bike, I think.

Combat Theory
Jul 16, 2017

Okay I have been thinking about something for a few weeks now.

I changed my work place and now commute 80km deep countryside with some or no highway, depending on route and absolutely no traffic or urban areas.

I am currently commuting with a 2001 nissan primera 1.8 gasoline soon to change for a diesel but ultimately I wanna commute by bike at least during the summer months.

The current bike selection I got in Germany offers no real commuting alternative with the R6 and the KTM LC4 supermoto (which will likely have to go for the new commuter and because it's just too nightmarish to care for)

Due to a mix of fuel price and some ecological consciousness settling in at my age after all, I wanna look for a bike with minimal fuel consumption, while still offering a comfortable power rating (so 125s are out, if only for the Autobahn strips I occasionally take)

I quickly found this newly founded 300ccm market for everything up to 48 HP which sounds ideal to me, but I never read into the specific machines.

Currently I am favoring somewhat the KTM RC390 with a single cylinder and the yamaha R3 with its cross plane twin which both should consume very minimal fuel while offering some wind protection compared to their naked variants Duke 390 and MT 03, but I'm not opposed to a naked either.

I am honestly new to this specific bike segment and if anyone is experienced with the quirks and features of 300s or has some better advice that would be much appreciated.

Combat Theory fucked around with this message at 17:18 on Sep 19, 2019

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

When I spent a year with no vehicle besides a motorcycle, it was a Yamaha, and I never regretted that decision, I'm a huge KTM stan, but for your situation I'd get the R3, actually I'd get the MT03, put a top case on it to hold my work clothes, and commute year-round.

Care, feeding, and chance of random Austrian failures are just so much lower on a Yamaha, and the commute to work isn't where you want a bike that gives you trouble.

Combat Theory
Jul 16, 2017

Yeah I agree. I saw that Hondas version is the CBR 500 family which is about as economic as the other 2 within a reasonable margin and I do like the 500 R version quite a bit.

Tough call between the Honda 500s and the yamaha 300s and between the naked and fairing versions, but i got at least until next year to decide. Will definetly try out the MT 03 before I settle for a full fairing one.

alr
May 14, 2009
I've commuted with a 2015 R3 as my only vehicle for a while now, just keep in mind it's a standard ptwin and not a crossplane so it doesn't sound like a mini MT-07 or something. Fuel mileage is decent, I get around 4 L/100km standard commuting. It's also way less sporty than the 390 in ergos and suspension, it's basically set up like a small cc sport touring bike. The newer ones have different clipons/suspension.

No mechanical issues of any sort but it has required factory recalls

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Combat Theory posted:

Yeah I agree. I saw that Hondas version is the CBR 500 family which is about as economic as the other 2 within a reasonable margin and I do like the 500 R version quite a bit.

Tough call between the Honda 500s and the yamaha 300s and between the naked and fairing versions, but i got at least until next year to decide. Will definetly try out the MT 03 before I settle for a full fairing one.

The honda 500 is a fine bike but if you care about enjoying riding at all, and by your other bikes I guess you do, get an r3/mt03. I'd avoid 390's if a 640 is too KTM.

alr posted:

I've commuted with a 2015 R3 as my only vehicle for a while now, just keep in mind it's a standard ptwin and not a crossplane so it doesn't sound like a mini MT-07 or something. Fuel mileage is decent, I get around 4 L/100km standard commuting. It's also way less sporty than the 390 in ergos and suspension, it's basically set up like a small cc sport touring bike. The newer ones have different clipons/suspension.

No mechanical issues of any sort but it has required factory recalls

Lol there's no such thing as a 'crossplane' I2 or 3, that's all marketing babble from Yamaha. Parallel twins have all sorts of crank pin offsets to give a different feel but that's the extent of it; you can't have a crossplane crank with only two pins, the term loses all meaning. It's like calling a Harley v-twin crossplane because the pins are closer together than a Ducati v-twin, just makes no sense at all.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Slavvy posted:

The honda 500 is a fine bike but if you care about enjoying riding at all, and by your other bikes I guess you do, get an r3/mt03. I'd avoid 390's if a 640 is too KTM.

Lol there's no such thing as a 'crossplane' I2 or 3, that's all marketing babble from Yamaha. Parallel twins have all sorts of crank pin offsets to give a different feel but that's the extent of it; you can't have a crossplane crank with only two pins, the term loses all meaning. It's like calling a Harley v-twin crossplane because the pins are closer together than a Ducati v-twin, just makes no sense at all.

Isn't the MT just a 270-degree p-twin, like pretty much every other?

alr
May 14, 2009

Slavvy posted:

Fair enough, that was just going by what Yamaha calls the CP2/CP3 motors. The marketing works!

GriszledMelkaba
Sep 4, 2003

goddamnedtwisto posted:

sounds a billion times better than 180 degree p-twins

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Most are 180° afaik, 270° are noticably less tedious.