Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Yeah I think him going nuts on QT was a factor but I definitely would not suggest that if you keep doing it it's just going to keep working.

It's like a heat sink, you can keep dumping racist nutters into the vat of public perception but you make the public slightly more racist every time you do it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sanitary Naptime
May 29, 2006

MIWK!

Rarity posted:

Right Honourable Ladies and Gentlegoons, it is no secret that we are living in divisive times. This country and even this thread has been torn apart by an argument that has split the nation. Friends have fallen out, families have been ripped apart and we now head together into an unknown future led by an unelected clown with no mandate from the masses on the key issue that we face as a society. It is a great shame then two of are three biggest parties are unable to provide a suitable direction. So even though I have stood side by side with those in my party for many years I can no longer find their remit adequate and thus it is with a heavy heart that I announce I am crossing the floor to join the Pickled Onion Monster Munch party. I look forward to working my new colleagues to heal the nation and all my old colleagues in the Roast Beef party can, quite frankly, go gently caress themselves.

Rarity posted:

Flamin' Hot hate Pickled Onions more than Roast Beefs

Mr speaker, those of us elected to represent the reddest and most radical of flavours can only scoff at the failing flavours we share these chambers with. While I am glad to see that the right honourable lady has the capacity for self reflection and betterment in her crossing the floor, I am disappointed that it is not enough to account for a lack of taste.

The Flamin’ Hot party looks forward to a by-election in which the right honourable lady defends her previous record of beefing it to pickled party members in a constituency crying out for some revolutionary flavour.

Comrade Fakename
Feb 13, 2012

Guavanaut posted:

And because they became turbolibertarians.

Like compare the amount of coverage and respect that the BNP (extreme racism, anti-immigration, homophobia, nationalize the utilities, restrict the press, crack down on banks and landlords) got from the media compared to UKIP (extreme racism, anti-immigration, homophobia, slash taxes and regulations, free hate speech). gently caress them both ofc, but I'm beginning to think that the difference wasn't the press taking a principled stance against bigotry.
:thunk:

To be fair, the BNP literally had “repatriation” of non-white citizens in their manifesto. UKIP were a lot better at hiding their racism, at least to the point where they could just about manage plausible deniability.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Borrovan posted:

Heard quite a few liberals saying that the reason for the BNP's collapse was Question Time having Nick Griffin on so everyone could see how much of a prick he is, so we should bring all the far right voices out into the open, no way that could backfire

The massive surge in far right sentiment since then is completely unrelated to repeatedly giving these cunts airtime & normalising their views
I think it did, but only because the press had spent the previous decade framing everything the BNP did as "far right thug goes on sickening racist rant", so the framework was already there when he appeared.

Then acted surprised when someone saying the same thing through the frame of "cheeky old man has thoughts about the coloureds" wasn't received the same.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug
Tommy Robinson was also a factor, he joined BNP and was shown walking about with his group of skinhead mates.
The optics on this was a good nail or two in the coffin for BNP.

Bobstar
Feb 8, 2006

KartooshFace, you are not responding efficiently!

"Sunlight is the best disinfectant"

Sunlight: famous for not making things grow.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I mean you drill a big enough hole in the ozone layer and it'll make a pretty good disinfectant :v:

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

Bobstar posted:

"Sunlight is the best disinfectant"

Sunlight: famous for not making things grow.

It is actually a disinfectant at least as far as making water in reservoirs safe to drink

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

what keeps happening to my clothes
While this thread is in shameful deadlock over the Monster Munch issue, we are distracted from the real issues of the day. Galaxy have just released a range of "chocolate truffles" which are shockingly unrelated to the Galaxy Truffle, the deeply mourned and objectively best part of the Celebrations box. Are Mars Incorporated attempting to rewrite history by erasing their greatest creation? We cannot let them get away with this.

Umbra Dubium
Nov 23, 2007

The British Empire was built on cups of tea, and if you think I'm going into battle without one, you're sorely mistaken!

Denying people of the "oxygen of publicity" is a Margaret Thatcher original, and when was she right about anything?

Give them oxygen, let them burn in it.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

If you have a gas leak, add oxygen and heat, this will improve the situation.

Bobstar
Feb 8, 2006

KartooshFace, you are not responding efficiently!

Jose posted:

It is actually a disinfectant at least as far as making water in reservoirs safe to drink

Then I guess racism is more like a field of wheat than a resevoir :v:

^^^ but people don't burn in oxygen, they breathe it, and then a bunch of other people (also breathing oxygen) watch them and go "ah, at last, people are saying the things, I'll go get my racism tools out of storage"

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Comrade Fakename posted:

To be fair, the BNP literally had “repatriation” of non-white citizens in their manifesto. UKIP were a lot better at hiding their racism, at least to the point where they could just about manage plausible deniability.
That's true, but the BNP in turn were better at hiding it in their writing than their predecessors. They even paid homage to stole the language of anti-apartheid activists in terms of settler minorities imposing their will onto indigenous majorities. It was always 'indigenous', rather than 'white'.

In theory at least. In reality they just couldn't stop themselves from doing a racism all the time when speaking. But UKIP had that problem too. The biggest difference in treatment was that the Great British Press are willing to cut cheeky bougie racists a lot more slack than angry working class racists.

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

Sanitary Naptime posted:

Mr speaker, those of us elected to represent the reddest and most radical of flavours can only scoff at the failing flavours we share these chambers with. While I am glad to see that the right honourable lady has the capacity for self reflection and betterment in her crossing the floor, I am disappointed that it is not enough to account for a lack of taste.

The Flamin’ Hot party looks forward to a by-election in which the right honourable lady defends her previous record of beefing it to pickled party members in a constituency crying out for some revolutionary flavour.

Mr Speaker, I must announcing the formation of a new party. For a new Britain. For a new flavour of politics! One that will not be supressed by Mr Seamus Miwne, or his cadre of Russian troll farms. We will fill the niche of the radical centre. I present CUKTIP - Crisps United Kingdom - The Independent Potatoes - and our new black, and white logo:

MIWK Crisps!

---

Good work on the double feature podcast everyone - massive kudos to Fargle for sharing their struggle with the DWP - and just everyone being informative and chill. :)

Pesky Splinter fucked around with this message at 14:19 on Sep 14, 2019

runwiled
Feb 21, 2011

Angepain posted:

While this thread is in shameful deadlock over the Monster Munch issue, we are distracted from the real issues of the day. Galaxy have just released a range of "chocolate truffles" which are shockingly unrelated to the Galaxy Truffle, the deeply mourned and objectively best part of the Celebrations box. Are Mars Incorporated attempting to rewrite history by erasing their greatest creation? We cannot let them get away with this.

Mars chocolate is kinda wank. HTH

Sanitary Naptime
May 29, 2006

MIWK!

Pesky Splinter posted:

Mr Speaker, I must announcing the formation of a new party. For a new Britain. For a new flavour of politics! One that will not be supressed by Mr Seamus Miwne, or his cadre of Russian troll farms. We will fill the niche of the radical centre. I present CUKTIP - Crisps United Kingdom - The Independent Potatoes - and our new black, and white logo:

MIWK Crisps!

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

We have no compassion and we ask no compassion from you. When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.
This has to be libel, Christ.

Also lol they're loving terrified

https://blogs.spectator.co.uk/2019/09/corbyn-is-the-only-unthinkable-outcome-in-this-political-crisis/amp/?__twitter_impression=true

quote:

For something that has yet to and may never happen, Brexit has reordered the fundamentals of British politics in just three years. The Tories have shifted decisively from post-Thatcher ambivalence about their role as upholders of the prevailing order to a right-wing radicalism that views Parliament, the legal establishment, and captains of industry as threats to, rather than pillars of, British freedom.

Electoral reformers who once downplayed the time-honoured link between constituent and parliamentarian now laud MPs who spurn a national result in deference to local opinion. Cultural identity has replaced austerity as the motor of progressive antagonism towards the Tories, who in turn have lost all interest in fiscal prudence and economic growth.

One of the more surreptitious evolutions has been the quiet mutation of Corbynism. It has gone from a project of the transformative left to one of managerial populism — Miliband’s Labour with more oomph and some Newsnight Bolsheviks to tour the TV studios. The starting points of this triangulation — welcome back, old friend — can be found in Labour’s 2017 manifesto, which committed to renewing Trident and implementing 78 per cent of planned Tory welfare cuts. The party’s meticulous ambiguity on Brexit has allowed it to pander to two conflicting constituencies while appearing to take a moderate, if scarcely decipherable, position.

The Tom Watsons and Keir Starmers are no longer needed to confer respectability, such as either retains, because their leader and Shadow Chancellor have spruced up. Corbyn is more careful with his words and his associations; McDonnell now sports a fetching line in Sophy Ridge-wear; open-necked shirts and avuncular pull-overs, perfect for projecting good-humoured reasonableness on Sunday morning TV.

Corbynism has made itself respectable and it couldn’t have come at a worse time for the country. Parliamentarians appear on the cusp of thwarting Brexit and the surest way to do that is to install a Prime Minister of their choosing to ask Brussels for a lengthy extension. Jeremy Corbyn is not the ideal candidate. He is at least as committed to Brexit as Boris Johnson, except that he actually believes it. However, needs must and the Remain parliament knows that, unless the leader’s office backs down, Labour MPs won’t vote for anyone other than Corbyn as interim PM. Because Parliament is determined to show the voters who’s boss, it will eventually have to accept that Corbyn is the only option.
This means there is a very real chance Corbyn will become Prime Minister. Even for some who disapprove of the man, this is a price worth paying to take back control from the voters. They calculate that he would jettison his Brexiteerism (and any other principle) to wheedle his way into Number 10. What he does when he gets there is another matter, and the histrionic liberals willing to pave his way would soon learn that a Stalinist cult, given a taste of power, will not readily relinquish it.

Those who would put Corbyn in Downing Street point to the depredations Brexit is predicted to inflict, job losses, medicine shortages and trade disruptions, are worth staving off even if it means sacrificing popular democracy. They may be right. There are some of us, probably not many, who lament Brexit but sincerely believe Corbyn would be worse. It’s not that we deny the perils of no-deal for good governance and economic stability (though anyone touting a Corbyn premiership can hardly pray in aid such concerns); it is that we assess the moral fallout of Corbyn to be graver than the financial consequences of no-deal Brexit.
Brexit is transient but Corbyn is forever. Even if the worst Yellowhammer contingencies came to pass, the material deprivations caused could be remedied. The taint of Corbyn cannot be scoured away because it is less a matter of what he might do than what we would be saying as a country. Three years ago, MPs wept in the Commons for Jo Cox. Now they would be adopting as their figurehead a man arrested at a ‘solidarity’ demo for the killer of Tory MP Anthony Berry. It would be a betrayal of our past and a message to posterity: there is no outrage so great that it cannot be waited out, unrepentantly, with the connivance of your feckless, career-driven colleagues.

The political chaos of Brexit pales against the moral chaos of an antisemite becoming Prime Minister of the United Kingdom in living memory of the Holocaust. The past four years have been among the most distressing and frightening for British Jews since the war. For parliament to give its imprimatur to the man responsible would be to reduce antisemitism to a competition of interests rather than a test of moral fortitude. MPs would be setting the rights of Jews against the political and economic well-being of the nation in a way no Parliament has done since Emancipation. They would be aligning the national interest with the toleration of antisemitism.

This outlook defies cool analysis and frustrates those who view politics coolly. They see it as a priggishly moralistic view but far from impractical idealism, Never Corbyn is the true realist perspective because it requires proponents to recognise that politics is the interaction of priorities with opportunities and that denying an opponent power is sometimes the maximal expression of the will that can be achieved.

Never Corbyners don’t pretend you can resist antisemitism while putting an antisemite in power. This doesn’t make us smarter or more moral than anyone else; it is weary dejection, not virtue-signalling. I am a Never Corbyner and I feel the weariness. There is no circumstance or exigency in which I could support his coming to power and so I have to make my choices. They are these: anything, anyone, any outcome but Corbyn. A Remainer, I would rather no-deal; a democrat, I would rather no Brexit; a Unionist, I would rather Scottish independence. Whatever the costs, the costs of Corbyn will always be higher.

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them
liberals suck poo poo

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them
there’s no way it’s only 22 in london it feels like 26 minimum god it’s so nice out

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
It would be unthinkable to work with an antisemite, I say in my blog for The Spectator.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Bobstar posted:

^^^ but people don't burn in oxygen,

Should mention that to Gus Grissom, Ed White and Roger Chaffee

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010

If he'd been UKIP leader ten years later he'd probably be prime minister.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

gently caress SAKE my brother just posted the chicken meme :doh:

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

bump_fn posted:

liberals suck poo poo

:hmmyes:

---

Guavanaut posted:

It would be unthinkable to work with an antisemite, I say in my blog for The Spectator.

Yeah it doesn't mean much when they write in the same paper that literally published "In praise of the Wehrmacht".

---

Bumped into an actual real-life #FBPE today. They were wearing a tshirt with the EU stars with a big crossed out "NO BREXIT", and trying to hand out leaflets about revoking article 50. Think the Libdem conference has got them all excited.

Illuyankas
Oct 22, 2010

Brannigan's Roast Beef and Mustard remains the best crisp flavour but while Worcester Sauce is the best Walkers flavour they could do with bringing more Lays flavours to the UK, I had their oregano crisps in Greece and they were pretty neat

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

Illuyankas posted:

Brannigan's Roast Beef and Mustard

These are like unicorns in Ireland.
Why is it that the good crisps are only found in weird places.
Like my local Boots does the yearly Walker weird flavors, no other place around does.

Illuyankas
Oct 22, 2010

Bobby Deluxe posted:

gently caress SAKE my brother just posted the chicken meme :doh:

Record yourself ringng him and laughing down the phone at him for being an idiot then post it on the status

el dingo
Mar 19, 2009

Ogres are like onions
Sometimes lidl has guiness crisps, they're absolutely bangin but also real strong so its sometimes a struggle to finish the bag

Not that I often put away entire bags of crisps by myself gosh no siree

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

We have no compassion and we ask no compassion from you. When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.

happyhippy posted:

These are like unicorns in Ireland.
Why is it that the good crisps are only found in weird places.
Like my local Boots does the yearly Walker weird flavors, no other place around does.

They're like that everywhere. The only place I know that does them is one shite little newsagents. They're never in supermarkets. No idea why, they're great.

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

what keeps happening to my clothes

runwiled posted:

Mars chocolate is kinda wank. HTH

look the perfect is the enemy of the good and "the good" in this case is a world where I don't get handed a box of chocolates and pull out a goddamn tiny twix

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

I really like those walkers jalapeño and cheese crisps

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-
Absolutely astonished to discover that some people ITT consider Roast Beef to be a major force within the Monster Munch debate, I'd always taken it for granted that Pickled Onion and Flaming Hot were the only contenders worth talking about.

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

Hentai Jihadist posted:

I haven't eaten either since I was a child but... I'm so sorry... Wotsits are better than monster munch

I didn't eat these since I was a child either and then a couple of years ago I got high and a friend had a big back of off-brand cheesy poofs

They were so loving good

big scary monsters posted:

Absolutely astonished to discover that some people ITT consider Roast Beef to be a major force within the Monster Munch debate, I'd always taken it for granted that Pickled Onion and Flaming Hot were the only contenders worth talking about.

Yeah, I'd forgotten they even existed. As is right

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010

Edit: weird double post

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler

I didn't even need to look to know that was by Stephen loving Daisley.

DesperateDan
Dec 10, 2005

Where's my cow?

Is that my cow?

No it isn't, but it still tramples my bloody lavender.
I have happily mixed roast beef and pickled onion into the same bag and give no fucks

Tbh recently I have been eating the walkers "max strong" jalapeno and cheese flavour- they almost are enough to bring on the spice sweats

Jealous Cow
Apr 4, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
The loving stupid thing is that claiming criticism of Israel as a state is anti-Semitic is itself anti-Semitic. It conflates the religious and cultural identity of Jews with the nation of Israel as a sovereign state, which is the basis of all the “dual loyalty” anti-Semitic bullshit that also comes from the right.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Walkers "Max Stirner" crisps, the flavour of which are such as whatever the owner wills it to be, and the spice sweats subject to only his own weakness.

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

DesperateDan posted:

I have happily mixed roast beef and pickled onion into the same bag and give no fucks

Tbh recently I have been eating the walkers "max strong" jalapeno and cheese flavour- they almost are enough to bring on the spice sweats
They're well nice. I can go through a few bags back to back.

These yoghurt coated skittles tho are a bit odd

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mrenda
Mar 14, 2012
The max strong chicken wing flavour is good.