Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mr Fronts
Jan 31, 2016

Yo! The Mafia supports you. But don't tell no one. Spread the word.

iron buns posted:

Two Weeks until the end of Q3! :toot:

Just you wait until Vehicle HUD v4 goes live. Then you'll see, you dirty hater.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard

S1rmunchalot posted:

Chris has a habit of talking about things from his perspective, he talks about plans he has as though they were fixed when they are not. A lot of the things people rightly state are 'Written in stone' were written before certain changes happened, but he's not interested in going back and rehashing every single detail. He probably will once Squadron 42 Chapter One is 'completed'.

For example when the project launched Chris had no idea there would be such a thing as procedural planets. When he included the stretch goal of 100 star systems he was talking about hand-built 'invisible walled' single player levels just like you get in other games.. not whole planets with moons etc. Procedural planetary tech came after that stretch goal was included. It's not relevant now because using those procedural tools creating 100 star systems has become easy compared to creating 100 unique landing zones for players to visit. Just because they haven't shown us yet, or perhaps haven't gotten round to making those empty planets and moons doesn't mean that they couldn't make them quickly when they decide to. That was the point of spending time making tools, they can create quickly when needed. They could make thousands of planets with nothing on them just the way other games have but what would be the point of that? It doesn't fit into Chris' vision of a living breathing universe.

Chris doesn't really factor into what he says that others don't have his insider knowledge, he knows where things are right now, he knows what is planned and what he thinks they can achieve - he talks about tools as though they have already made the game to play, but we can't play the tools. We have to wait until someone uses them to make something we can play with. Others listening just shake their heads and say.. 'What on Earth is he talking about?' He's over-hyping or he is dreaming. He isn't, he just knows more than we do about what his team are doing, and they are not creating a game to play tomorrow, they are creating tools to build games for tomorrow.

Squadron 42 takes place in the same universe as Star Citizen, they can create as many chapters of the Vanduul War as they like. How many World War 2 movies have you watched? Each 'chapter' gets quicker and easier to make because the assets and tools have already been made. He keeps telling you he is building a living breathing universe and people assume he is only talking about the persistent universe, but he isn't, he's talking about everything that takes place in that universe - including the Vanduul War.

Erin sometimes does this too, he talks from his frame of reference. You can see a perfect example of this in the last Pillar Talk when he says that there is lots of stuff "lots of locations on the planets". You, me and anyone else watching are left to wonder.. what is he talking about? What 'stuff''? Which planets? Where are these 'lot's of locations'? He's probably referring to things not yet revealed in Squadron 42, but we can't know that for certain can we?

I had a conversation with Erin Roberts back in 2015 (it was a follow on conversation from one we had at CitizenCon in 2015) and I talked about his plans for our characters in Squadron 42. It started with a question, "Will we get military pay when we are in the UEE Navy? Answer yes. Will we be able to take that pay with us into the Star Citizen persistent universe? Answer: Probably, it hasn't been decided yet. Chris had already talked about how the Star Citizen universe starts after the events of the Vanduul War and all episodes of Squadron 42. The PU is what our Squadron 42 character retires to after leaving the UEE Navy. He talked about a military log that would get filled in as you progress in Squadron 42 and it goes with you (if you choose) to the PU. Erin mentioned there would be things that you will pick up in Squadron 42 that become your personal possessions which can be taken into the PU.

Tony Zurovec in his CitizenCon presentation talked about limited access to certain types of databases and equipment for scanning that would be limited by the UEE, or would be illegal. During Squadron 42 you are helping the advocacy chase criminals, it is likely you may acquire some criminal equipment etc. NPC's in the PU will refer to your military log and because of that they may give you things, or do things they wouldn't for non-ex-military. If you haven't completed all of Squadron 42 they will only refer to those parts that are in your log. One thing that Erin mentioned surprised me, he said that NPC's in the PU may be linked to NPC's you meet in Squadron 42 and so your choices will affect how those NPC's deal with you in the PU. He was very vague and evasive when I tried to get more details.

You might remember that Chris mentions USO clubs in the keynote address and mission play-through in the 2018 CitizenCon presentation with Todd Papy when he shows the entrance to the Chairman's Club lounge in TEASA Spaceport. You cannot join the military or Advocacy in Star Citizen. You can accept work from them but you cannot join them. You will see posters around in the Alpha PU that say "Service Guarantees Citizenship". This was what Erin mentioned, there are civilians and citizens in the PU. Citizens have rights and access to things civilians don't, for example citizens can vote in elections, civilians can't. You can earn citizenship in the PU over time if you have a good rep with the Empire, but you can never earn the status of ex-military in the PU. Once you start Squadron 42 you have joined the military, even if you never play a mission - you signed up.

When asked about the F8C Lightning Chris did his usual of talking in vague terms about 'badges' you earn in Squadron 42. If you didn't know about the difference between being ex-military or a citizen then this has no frame of reference for you. What the hell is a 'badge' for? What has Squadron 42 got to do with it? He's fumbling a question to avoid the P2W for the high rollers accusation isn't he? No. He isn't. In his mind if you complete Squadron 42 you WILL get an F8C Lightning in the PU because he knows how connected the Star Citizen and Squadron 42 experience are planned to be, in his mind the player will do both.

During your time in Squadron 42 you will progress in the military, you will have training on the use of certain equipment that is reserved for military personnel only this is because as ex-military in the PU you can be called back to service by the UEE Navy at any time and so are expected to keep up with the latest military spec hardware and procedures - there is no 'official end' to the Vanduul War. Civilians and non-ex-military do not have access to mil-spec hardware and training (and certain restricted areas within the PU). This is why you can only get the F8 Lightning one of two ways, either you are a very high ranking elite member of society (Chairman's Club) or you are ex-military who has been trained on the F8 Lightning military variant. As a civilian non-ex-military it is not legal for you to buy or operate that ship in the PU unless you have special dispensation from the Emperor - a badge.

One thing that doesn't get talked about specifically but is only vaguely referred to by Chris is that when you play Squadron 42 there will be choices you have to make, moral choices for example. Also when he was asked "Will we be able to co-op play missions in Squadron 42?" Chris answered "No, but you might be able to play the missions co-op in the simulator". This is relevant because during missions you will have choices to make and if you have more than one player - who is making the choices? This makes sense to me only because of my conversation with Erin when he told me that you cannot go back and try other choices for your character, once they are made they are part of your characters history and personality. If you want to make different choices for your Squadron 42 character you have to start Squadron 42 all over again with a new character. You are not paying for a AAA game in the standard sense, you are paying for the right to create a characters history in the Vanduul War timeline, a character which you then have a choice to abandon or take into the PU.

Original Systems games are currently accessed via the main menu when you load the game, but it wasn't always that way. They used to be a simpod in our hangar. Chris has mentioned that there will be simpods and Arena Commander in Squadron 42 as Original Systems don't just make games, they make military training simulators. When you complete a mission in Squadron 42 it will become available in Arena Commander but any performance in Arena Commander is only a simulation, it will not affect your characters history timeline - so we see that co-op is fine in the Squadron 42 simpod replays because it makes no difference to your PU characters history.

Now it makes sense when Chris is talking about creating your own unique NPC's for the Star Citizen Universe, you choose whether to take your Squadron 42 character(s) into the PU, or start with completely new characters as civilians with little to no history in the PU who have to earn their citizenship and have no carry-overs from Squadron 42.

Does it make a difference that you have more than one game package? Yes because in the days before the package split, when Chris answered those questions you automatically had the right to create a Squadron 42 character with each game package that you pledged for. After the package split the situation changed, you no longer had an automatic Squadron 42 character choice but you still had multiple PU character slots. When did you buy your multiple game packages? Do they include Squadron 42? It matters. Chris is primarily concerned with Squadron 42 right now, he's not going to get into the nuances of Squadron 42/Star Citizen character developments and options yet. Remembering that will make it easier to figure out what he is talking about.
https://robertsspaceindustries.com/spectrum/community/SC/forum/3/thread/do-you-guys-have-multiple-game-packages/2350886

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

Mr Fronts posted:

Just you wait until Vehicle HUD v4 goes live. Then you'll see, you dirty hater.

Listen, lad. I built this kingdom up from nothing. When I started here, all there was was swamp. Other kings said I was daft to build a castle on a swamp, but I built it all the same, just to show 'em. It sank into the swamp. So, I built a second one. That sank into the swamp. So, I built a third one. That burned down, fell over, then sank into the swamp, but the fourth one... stayed up! And that's what you're gonna get, lad: the strongest castle in these islands.

Sandepande
Aug 19, 2018

That's loving rich, their mission givers have been lagging for years, even before they began to focus on S42 (after tossing - apparently - everything into trash), and people are expected to believe that they'll have "NPCs referencing your S42 military log" or whatever.

Who am I kidding, of course the hardcore will believe that.

tak
Jan 31, 2003

lol demowned
Grimey Drawer

Dementropy posted:

A callback, since you're up there:

The legend lives on from the Crobbear on down
Of the big fake they called Glitchey Gamey

The fake, it is said, never gives up the get
When the con in November turns scammy

Agony Aunt
Apr 17, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Sandepande posted:

That's loving rich, their mission givers have been lagging for years, even before they began to focus on S42 (after tossing - apparently - everything into trash), and people are expected to believe that they'll have "NPCs referencing your S42 military log" or whatever.

Who am I kidding, of course the hardcore will believe that.

You can't convince some of them. They will say "but that was before the other thing", and then you show that in fact, it wasn't, and then they say well it doesn't matter, you can't hold him to it, projects get delayed anyway. He wasn't lying or incompetent, he was just overly optimistic.

I'm like, 5 years (or whatever), that's a bit more than overly optimistic, its just plain wrong.

And despite many times pointing to Chris' statements about the votes, and how the increased funding would not delay release, i've never had one backer acknowledge that, even when i've linked the source and quoted the statement. Its like mental blind spot for them, they just can't see those words.

I mean, its not like they have to give up their belief that SC will be a good game. All they have to do is say "yeah, he screwed up with that statement" and it would show they acknowledge they made some misleading statements, and therefore understand why some of us have concerns about their marketing and ability to deliver.

EDIT: actually that part about having NPCs referencing your SQ42 mission log shouldn't really be that hard. I'm sure CIG will try and make out like its some herculean task and invent some new word for how it happens, but at the end of the day it would just be a simple lookup function.

Agony Aunt fucked around with this message at 12:09 on Sep 14, 2019

Sandepande
Aug 19, 2018

Agony Aunt posted:

You can't convince some of them. They will say "but that was before the other thing", and then you show that in fact, it wasn't, and then they say well it doesn't matter, you can't hold him to it, projects get delayed anyway. He wasn't lying or incompetent, he was just overly optimistic.

I'm like, 5 years (or whatever), that's a bit more than overly optimistic, its just plain wrong.

And despite many times pointing to Chris' statements about the votes, and how the increased funding would not delay release, i've never had one backer acknowledge that, even when i've linked the source and quoted the statement. Its like mental blind spot for them, they just can't see those words.

I mean, its not like they have to give up their belief that SC will be a good game. All they have to do is say "yeah, he screwed up with that statement" and it would show they acknowledge they made some misleading statements, and therefore understand why some of us have concerns about their marketing and ability to deliver.

EDIT: actually that part about having NPCs referencing your SQ42 mission log shouldn't really be that hard. I'm sure CIG will try and make out like its some herculean task and invent some new word for how it happens, but at the end of the day it would just be a simple lookup function.

Some of them have probably convinced themselves that it's all normal because GTA V took eight years (to release, not to reach this level of janky poo poo and not asking for handouts to fund development - unless releasing GTA IV was "asking handouts"), but I suspect many are simply staking their whatever passes for reputation in their minds and won't admit to any CR's weaknesses beyond those which are really, you know, positive aspects (perfectionism, optimism, etc.). They can see what they've got, and for one reason or another they cannot back down.

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

The call is coming from inside Dr. House
Grimey Drawer

Sandepande posted:

Some of them have probably convinced themselves that it's all normal because GTA V took eight years (to release, not to reach this level of janky poo poo and not asking for handouts to fund development - unless releasing GTA IV was "asking handouts"), but I suspect many are simply staking their whatever passes for reputation in their minds and won't admit to any CR's weaknesses beyond those which are really, you know, positive aspects (perfectionism, optimism, etc.). They can see what they've got, and for one reason or another they cannot back down.
Eight years for the PC release. Six to release on the PS3. (2nd quarter 2008 to 3rd quarter 2013)

That includes all prelim work btw, from conception, pre-production and release. They also overhauled their engine, and hired a new core team of network engineers during that time.

Star Citizen will soon eclipse the total development and marketing budget of one of the highest selling and technically impressive games of all time, and all they have are some cave interiors and $1,000 ships to show for it.

I'm sure the AAA game industry is shaking in their boots.

TheAgent fucked around with this message at 12:50 on Sep 14, 2019

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

The call is coming from inside Dr. House
Grimey Drawer
Just a reminder that an entire console generation will have been announced, launched, and retired since the Star Citizen Kickstarter.

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

Just a reminder that an actual real life space rocket program has been announced and launched since the Star Citizen kickstarter.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

Maybe I should add it to the list…

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

iron buns posted:

Two Weeks until the end of Q3! :toot:

Just realized that SC is a Kongregate Idle game.
You click on the 'Buy ship' button and the colors and numbers increase on these two pics.

CrazyLoon
Aug 10, 2015

"..."
I am honestly in awe that this poo poo will now very likely have a longer development time than Duke Nukem Forever (if you count both studios' meanderings together or seperate as resulting in a complete game, which is TBH pretty analogous to SC's development). I remember back when it actually released, I was like: "welp...that record ain't gettin' beat any time soon" and the very next year Star Citizen comes out and, unknowingly to anyone at the time, says "Hold my beer."

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Facebook Aunt posted:

Yes, very much so. Instead of flying combat ships the focus will be on the forklift drivers who move goods around the warehouse and occasionally push crashed ships off the deck.

Chris Roberts' Space Bulldozer Simulator 2025

Dementropy
Aug 23, 2010

Star Skinizen

kw0134
Apr 19, 2003

I buy feet pics🍆

TheAgent posted:

Eight years for the PC release. Six to release on the PS3. (2nd quarter 2008 to 3rd quarter 2013)

That includes all prelim work btw, from conception, pre-production and release. They also overhauled their engine, and hired a new core team of network engineers during that time.

Star Citizen will soon eclipse the total development and marketing budget of one of the highest selling and technically impressive games of all time, and all they have are some cave interiors and $1,000 ships to show for it.

I'm sure the AAA game industry is shaking in their boots.
Six years to build a simulation of So Cal. So at this rate, to build a 100 world simulation of a living universe, by the cultists own estimation should only take a few centuries.

at the actual rate of progress all baryonic matter in the universe will decay first

ZekeNY
Jun 13, 2013

Probably AFK

Dementropy posted:

Star Skinizen

Move over, Zune tattoo guy

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008

Sandepande posted:

- unless releasing GTA IV was "asking handouts"

Well I mean I did play it and it was about as much fun as a streetside hobo lecturing you about Eastern European civil wars and then a long aside about what his cousin was doing next week.

GTA 5 was great though.

Mendrian
Jan 6, 2013

I mean some shitizens have definately peeled off the project or quietly left the community. You just have to figure that each round of disappointments results in the remaining jerks being more and more fanatical.

CrazyLoon
Aug 10, 2015

"..."
...and also a new round of suckers getting in and becoming new whales. Don't underestimate internet people's craving to express their 'midlife crisis' by buying internet space ships.

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Agony Aunt posted:

<Psycho Mantis Voice>
Oh, I see that you like Squadron 42

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

we meet again SC thread

i think one of my fav things about the whole "GTAV took x years" is the corollary that GTAV and skyrim are miniscule undertakings in comparison to star citizen

which should immediately flash alarms for everyone since those are both huge AAA games

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Hentai Jihadist posted:

we meet again SC thread

i think one of my fav things about the whole "GTAV took x years" is the corollary that GTAV and skyrim are miniscule undertakings in comparison to star citizen

which should immediately flash alarms for everyone since those are both huge AAA games

Oh, but you see, Star Citizen does things no other game has been able to do, like: [a list of things SC does not yet do]

skeletors_condom
Jul 21, 2017

Anyone know why exactly Lesnik was removed from the public facing aspects of the project? Did he try and eat Strangli?

Answer the call: 2016!

A Dreamer sees the truth in the midst of his dream:

monkeytek
Jun 8, 2010

It wasn't an ELE that wiped out the backer funds. It was Tristan Timothy Taylor.

AlbieQuirky posted:

What if the US economy crashes but Germany does fine? Will be a different game if so.

Correct, it will become more focused on autoerotic asphyxiation in pre built wank pods. VR will, of course, be the new primary focus.

monkeytek
Jun 8, 2010

It wasn't an ELE that wiped out the backer funds. It was Tristan Timothy Taylor.

Sarsapariller posted:

Listen, lad. I built this kingdom up from nothing. When I started here, all there was was swamp. Other kings said I was daft to build a castle on a swamp, but I built it all the same, just to show 'em. It sank into the swamp. So, I built a second one. That sank into the swamp. So, I built a third one. That burned down, fell over, then sank into the swamp, but the fourth one... stayed up! And that's what you're gonna get, lad: the strongest castle in these islands.

Would we be the one coming to the rescue and slaughtering all of the guests or the manchild singing and hoping for rescue? Hmmmmm.

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Fidelity. Wait, was I'm working on again?

Tippis posted:

Coloring in Star Citizen as blue, referencing alpha, is very generous of this chart. I know they say it's alpha, but since nothing works, there's no space flight or physics, etc. it's still really just in production. They're just letting people experience the raw thrill of their streaming liquid poo poo. It'll be a real alpha when many working systems are in place and fairly reliable, and a handful of missions are playable and give a feel what the game will be. That's alpha, then they add content and fix bugs until they have most of what will release, there's your beta, then when they think it's ready it's a release candidate, then a release.

Who's kidding who, though, Chris Roberts has already explained that all those terms are "just words" anyway and the "old way" of doing things; the correct approach is to steal money for nearly a decade and do whatever you want to with it and get praised for your infinite layer cake of abject failure.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

Scruffpuff posted:

Coloring in Star Citizen as blue, referencing alpha, is very generous of this chart.

That's the whole point, really. Trying to be as charitable to SC as possible while still using the actual years and dates of the most common points of comparison, and even including things that really shouldn't even be a part of the process (such as the bit before the kickstarter that citizens so often feel shouldn't count)…

…and even then, the SC development timeframe becomes ridiculous in comparison. In six months, we're down to only three candidates: Spore (one of the biggest disappointments ever), Diablo 3 (hugely disappointing on release, only saved through later expansions), and DNF (the least disappointing game ever cancelled and then released anyway). That's not exactly good company to be in. And of course, if we are to believe CIG's own suggestions on possible release dates, it'll take longer than going from zero to the actual moon did.

Tippis fucked around with this message at 16:06 on Sep 14, 2019

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

Scruffpuff posted:

Coloring in Star Citizen as blue, referencing alpha, is very generous of this chart. I know they say it's alpha, but since nothing works, there's no space flight or physics, etc. it's still really just in production. They're just letting people experience the raw thrill of their streaming liquid poo poo. It'll be a real alpha when many working systems are in place and fairly reliable, and a handful of missions are playable and give a feel what the game will be. That's alpha, then they add content and fix bugs until they have most of what will release, there's your beta, then when they think it's ready it's a release candidate, then a release.

Who's kidding who, though, Chris Roberts has already explained that all those terms are "just words" anyway and the "old way" of doing things; the correct approach is to steal money for nearly a decade and do whatever you want to with it and get praised for your infinite layer cake of abject failure.

mate next year they're gonna be in alpha 4.0 and you're gonna be ashamed of your words and deeds

alpha 4.0 naturally being the alpha after 3.9 cause thats how version numbers work

this is a real game dev yes siree

SoftNum
Mar 31, 2011

Sandepande posted:

The sequel counting is suspect anyway. This is why they say ridiculous bullshit like E:D took 19 years since Frontier 2 released in like '95.

Besides by that logic Star Citizen has taken 16 years and isn't out yet. I mean there were sequel rumors after Freelancer! clearly they've been working on it for 16 years.

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Just me and my 🌊dragon🐉 hanging out

Tippis posted:

To be fair, you should add the Sagrada Familia to the list.

stupid sexy frog

Foo Diddley
Oct 29, 2011

cat

skeletors_condom posted:

Anyone know why exactly Lesnik was removed from the public facing aspects of the project? Did he try and eat Strangli?

CIG realized that this was a bad look, even if their backers didn't. Of course, they couldn't openly shitcan him for sharing his website full of racist, pedophile, stalker poo poo lest they alienate all the racists, pedos, and stalkers among their backers, so now he "works remotely" on a farm upstate

CrazyLoon
Aug 10, 2015

"..."
Incoming FYAD concern trolls about how we totes doxxed him into this in 3, 2, 1,...

skeletors_condom
Jul 21, 2017

Foo Diddley posted:

CIG realized that this was a bad look, even if their backers didn't. Of course, they couldn't openly shitcan him for sharing his website full of racist, pedophile, stalker poo poo lest they alienate all the racists, pedos, and stalkers among their backers, so now he "works remotely" on a farm upstate

IMHO running a $200+ M scam is way worse than some degen website. But I can see how CIG thought this wasn't a "good look" purely from PR/agit-prop basis.

skeletors_condom fucked around with this message at 19:43 on Sep 14, 2019

Foo Diddley
Oct 29, 2011

cat
Also I think Sandi was jealous that a visibly decaying pile of lard and bacon rinds had more stage presence than she did

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

AlbieQuirky posted:

To be fair, you should add the Sagrada Familia to the list.

It didn't improve things :(

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

Lol said the scorpion, lmao

Agony Aunt
Apr 17, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Tippis posted:

Well, this is because they doing something never been done before you FUDster!

They are taking hundreds of millions in backer money and giving no indication of when they will deliver. That's never been done before!

Agony Aunt
Apr 17, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
So, i'm having a robust back and forth with one of the more stauch supporters of the game.

Its certainly been challenging because he's avoiding actually discussing the topic a lot and instead focuses on making personal comments and casting shade on my motivations.

Occasionally he does deem to actually try and make an on-topic point, in between making personal comments.

I've been avoiding sharing the discussions because i didn't want to be accused of brigading, but this one is pure gold.

Note, not providing link or including their name for the aforementioned reason.

PLEASE DO NOT TOUCH THE POOP!

This was in relation to me talking about how Chris, live on video, said SQ42 would be out later that year (2014) with SC to follow the next year.

But apparently they are not dates and mean nothing, poo poo happens apparently, and this is absoloutely fine and normal. Now, i'm happy to agree projects get delayed, things don't work out, but when the man in charge keeps revising it year after year, and then goes silent for a couple of years, then shows off an hour long demo, and how it just needs more polish, then more silence for a year, then announces they have scrapped it all and redoing it... well, it does make one a tad concerned about the honesty of their communications.

Agony Aunt fucked around with this message at 19:30 on Sep 14, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sandepande
Aug 19, 2018
I too like to call release dates "not actual dates".