Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Bananana
May 21, 2008

This is a metaphor, a Christian allegory. The fact that I have to explain to you that Jesus is the Warthog, and the Banana is drepanocytosis is just embarrassing for you.

The Bananana posted:

Thank you Coydog, that's great news.

I updated the craigslist, and applied the "scratch" feedback, and chose pictures that didn't highlight the scratch.

https://austin.craigslist.org/mcy/6973454753.html

So...

1 week later, and not a single email.

Not. A Single. Email.

No joke.

So, my new plan of action is,

A price drop of $500, and reposting, as well as creating posts in 2 neighboring cities CL's.

What do y'all think?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

Listen, I've been around a bit, you know, and I thought I'd seen some creepy things go on in the movie business, but I really have to say this is the most disgusting thing that's ever happened to me.

Apple2o posted:

The temp plate flew off in the rain cause some dude on a Harley decided to wheelie past me on the highway, I figured hey free tolls. Of course the day before the actual plate comes in some pig ends up behind me. "What do you mean it's gone?!"

I lost a screw and I just keep my plate locked under my seat.

As far as I can tell, motorcycles are invisible to cops here. The place I play magic has a non-parking-spot with huge white slashes in it that you can safely stash a bike or two in, it's used constantly and no one gets tickets.

CheddarGoblin
Jan 12, 2005
oh

The Bananana posted:

Maybe you'll have better luck as it starts cooling down in the coming weeks? I got a brand new bike a month ago and have barely ridden because it's hot as balls here.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Tim Raines IRL posted:

I lost a screw and I just keep my plate locked under my seat.

As far as I can tell, motorcycles are invisible to cops here. The place I play magic has a non-parking-spot with huge white slashes in it that you can safely stash a bike or two in, it's used constantly and no one gets tickets.

Enfields are invisible to cops :v:

Also wrt your previous post: take the refund, get a dr650.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

The Bananana posted:

So...

Not. A Single. Email.

No joke.

A price drop of $500, and reposting, as well as creating posts in 2 neighboring cities CL's.

What do y'all think?

Keep waiting. I got nothing on my bike for like a month or more and then sold it to the first person to email me about it for exactly what I expected to get.

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

Listen, I've been around a bit, you know, and I thought I'd seen some creepy things go on in the movie business, but I really have to say this is the most disgusting thing that's ever happened to me.

Slavvy posted:

Enfields are invisible to cops :v:

well, sometimes we struggle to keep up in the bike lane

I think I'm just going to keep this, if the new one works. And buy a DR650 in the spring, maybe? Having two bikes would not be inconvenient. We also need an ATV, but if I get a decent bonus next year I can see it all going into more gasoline engines.

I want a $400 Husqvarna chainsaw, too.

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

The Bananana posted:

What do y'all think?

Sometimes it just takes a while. I had the lowest price in the country on my FZ-10 listing and it still took 3 months. Almost zero interest, very few serious hits and then a buyer outta nowhere cash the next day done deal. Be patient if your price is right. Lower your price if you want it to go faster or need the cash sooner. CL is a fickle beast.

The Bananana
May 21, 2008

This is a metaphor, a Christian allegory. The fact that I have to explain to you that Jesus is the Warthog, and the Banana is drepanocytosis is just embarrassing for you.

Thanks for the words of encouragement, folks.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Put it on FB Marketplace. A lot of people moved there from Craigslist. I sure as hell did.

Mustache Ride
Sep 11, 2001

I'd buy it right now if I wasn't already planning on buying a house and being poor for the next 6 months.

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

Tim Raines IRL posted:

nah, you're right. I have cords of wood to split and poo poo, too, but I should be riding... and I will... on another Enfield, lol.

Update: sketchy bikes, great customer service from this shop

What I am going to do: The owner of the shop is going to swap this bike for a brand new identical one. He's also volunteered to drive and meet me half way so that it's only a 2.5hr deal for me, and not a whole day.

My other options:
(softball) - accept a buyout offer from the dealership which likely values my trade-in at $0 (which may not be too far from the truth), also take a $500 hit and be out the $300 registration fee. They presumably put the bike back into their inventory, get Enfield to send them a new one, and the person who made the commission is keeping it.

(hardball) - Under NYS lemon law, this bike has already been in the shop for more than 30 calendar days for a safety issue. As such, the dealer may already owe me a full refund including all fees - but this comes down to whether or not the dealership can convince the DMV that the 30 calendar day delay was "reasonable" for any reason. I have no idea how that would play out, but I do know that the idea of getting into a legal battle with a bike shop is not something I'm interested in. Basically, I'd probably just eat the loss before I'd do that, because the stress of dealing with it just to try to ensure I'm completely whole and the morality of the whole thing is correct, is just not fuckin' worth $800 to me.

Other relevant information that led into this decision:
This is the path of least resistance and gets me back onto a (hopefully lol) running motorcycle as quickly as possible (next week).

When the bike works, it is fun to ride and basically exactly what I want right now.

The dealer has sold a number of these in the past 2 years, and says he really thinks that I have gotten very unlucky, because he hasn't seen any significant mechanical issues on anything else they've sold, aside from bikes that were dropped at speed or involved in collisions.

As a career QA engineer with a tendency towards masochism that dates back to middle school, I don't want to get off this ride yet.

Finally, apparently Enfield corporate is real anxious to get their hands on this thing and rip it into tiny pieces, because while they had seen some issues like this on the earlier Indian model years, they feel that it shouldn't be happening on US bikes (duh).

Expect some more pictures soon, this time I asked for a white one.

Goon sir, you really are deep in the well. Please come out.

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010

Steakandchips posted:

Goon sir, you really are deep in the well. Please come out.

Shh, this is the asylum, let the madmen whirl.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Beach Bum posted:

Shh, this is the asylum, let the madmen whirl.

It's not really a classic goon in well scenario IMO. He loves the well, he lives for the well, he jumped in there to see what it was like, not out of ignorance of gravity.

Replacing the Enfield with another Enfield does smack of digging sideways but again, I think he just loves digging tunnels.

The Bananana
May 21, 2008

Slavvy posted:

It's not really a classic goon in well scenario IMO. He loves the well, he lives for the well, he jumped in there to see what it was like, not out of ignorance of gravity.

Replacing the Enfield with another Enfield does smack of digging sideways but again, I think he just loves digging tunnels.

Lol

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib

Tim Raines IRL posted:

nah, you're right. I have cords of wood to split and poo poo, too, but I should be riding... and I will... on another Enfield, lol.

Update: sketchy bikes, great customer service from this shop

What I am going to do: The owner of the shop is going to swap this bike for a brand new identical one. He's also volunteered to drive and meet me half way so that it's only a 2.5hr deal for me, and not a whole day.

My other options:
(softball) - accept a buyout offer from the dealership which likely values my trade-in at $0 (which may not be too far from the truth), also take a $500 hit and be out the $300 registration fee. They presumably put the bike back into their inventory, get Enfield to send them a new one, and the person who made the commission is keeping it.

(hardball) - Under NYS lemon law, this bike has already been in the shop for more than 30 calendar days for a safety issue. As such, the dealer may already owe me a full refund including all fees - but this comes down to whether or not the dealership can convince the DMV that the 30 calendar day delay was "reasonable" for any reason. I have no idea how that would play out, but I do know that the idea of getting into a legal battle with a bike shop is not something I'm interested in. Basically, I'd probably just eat the loss before I'd do that, because the stress of dealing with it just to try to ensure I'm completely whole and the morality of the whole thing is correct, is just not fuckin' worth $800 to me.

Other relevant information that led into this decision:
This is the path of least resistance and gets me back onto a (hopefully lol) running motorcycle as quickly as possible (next week).

When the bike works, it is fun to ride and basically exactly what I want right now.

The dealer has sold a number of these in the past 2 years, and says he really thinks that I have gotten very unlucky, because he hasn't seen any significant mechanical issues on anything else they've sold, aside from bikes that were dropped at speed or involved in collisions.

As a career QA engineer with a tendency towards masochism that dates back to middle school, I don't want to get off this ride yet.

Finally, apparently Enfield corporate is real anxious to get their hands on this thing and rip it into tiny pieces, because while they had seen some issues like this on the earlier Indian model years, they feel that it shouldn't be happening on US bikes (duh).

Expect some more pictures soon, this time I asked for a white one.

Awwww come on maaaan. Really?! Also the one unifying factor of that hima was the cool blacked out look like it was a Model T or something.

The Bananana posted:

So...

Not. A Single. Email.

No joke.

What do y'all think?

You need to just chill on this. At least you aren't being bombarded with time wasting idiots while you wait for that guy three weeks down the line who will buy your bike on the spot.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

Martytoof posted:

What do you guys do when you park in pay-and-display lots? Like, my receipt is literally going to blow away unless I... tape it to my windscreen?
You're in Toronto right? Street parking in pay and display areas is free, don't go to lots.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Chris Knight posted:

You're in Toronto right? Street parking in pay and display areas is free, don't go to lots.

Is it free in Toronto? I’ve been missing something.

I’m in Hamilton but this is good I go to have regardless since I spend a non insignificant amount of time in the 416

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

Martytoof posted:

Is it free in Toronto? I’ve been missing something.

I’m in Hamilton but this is good I go to have regardless since I spend a non insignificant amount of time in the 416

Ah sorry, knew it you were GTA adjacent at least :v:

But yeah, In the 416, it's free for bieks in pay & display street areas, for now anyway.

That says within the 2-3 hour pay period, but I've yet to see anyone get a ticket for parking all day in the areas near my work, which is practically at King and Yonge. And there are a tonne of bikes parking there all day.

If you have to P&D in Hamilton, then yeah you might need to stuff it between the seat and tank if it'll stay.

Arson Daily
Aug 11, 2003

Anyone know where I can score some new velcro pads for my cardo freecom? I changed helmets recently and Cardo never seems to have any in stock.

Shelvocke
Aug 6, 2013

Microwave Engraver
I made my own with cheap self adhesive velcro from eBay, if that helps.

epswing
Nov 4, 2003

Soiled Meat
I have a fear of my scraping peg catching a groove in the road and flipping my bike like a toy.

Is this an irrational fear (because the pegs fold up at an angle)?

It’s a Sportster so... they’re scraping a lot.

epswing fucked around with this message at 01:18 on Sep 16, 2019

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

epalm posted:

I have a fear of my scraping peg catching a groove in the road and flipping my bike like a toy.

It's irrational.

Watch Schaaf on YouTube. Is early stuff before he squidded and lost a kidney was a love letter to scraping the pegs on public roads.

Even I've done it (by accident) on a 250 ninja with a pillion on the back. Unexpected and unnerving, but not a problem. You're on a sportster, which is low. Congrats on doing more leaning and twisty riding than 99% of Harley owners who cosplay as 1%ers.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

epalm posted:

Grind those bitches down till they're stumps then get some taller shocks, rinse and repeat.

E: I'm reminded of the fact that I have to force myself to go super slow on customer Harleys because one guy made me get him new pegs because I scraped them on the test ride.

Slavvy fucked around with this message at 01:50 on Sep 16, 2019

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

If you lean too far, and the hard bits connecting the pegs to the frame will contact and lever the bike off of the wheels, gently lowsiding you into the shoulder/median/cable barrier.

The solutions are:

A) only gently scrape pegs ever (they won't hook on anything)

B) get a better bike that requires insane amounts of lean to scrape bits.

RightClickSaveAs
Mar 1, 2001

Tiny animals under glass... Smaller than sand...

or C: look really cool crashing:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sYxU_lYBHpY

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

That slowmo is a great advertisement for full length boots with a reinforced ankle. Dude's lucky

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Elviscat posted:

If you lean too far, and the hard bits connecting the pegs to the frame will contact and lever the bike off of the wheels, gently lowsiding you into the shoulder/median/cable barrier.

The solutions are:

A) only gently scrape pegs ever (they won't hook on anything)

B) get a better bike that requires insane amounts of lean to scrape bits.

This only happens if you're a massive idiot and don't stop pushing on the bars. I've ridden lots of Harleys and other cruisers where the exhaust or side stand routinely touched down, it's scary but won't force you into a crash; think about it, the peg mount or whatever is the fulcrum of a lever but the heavier end is still the half closer to the ground. The most that happens is you either fold the front like a retard, or you just run wide into oncoming traffic/a ditch because you can't tighten the line any further.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

Look, I had been riding for like 5 months and it was a sharp turn, not a slow gradual one.

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

Slavvy posted:

E: I'm reminded of the fact that I have to force myself to go super slow on customer Harleys because one guy made me get him new pegs because I scraped them on the test ride.

And yet somewhere out there is a guy sanding his knee sliders to look cool

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

Slavvy posted:

Grind those bitches down till they're stumps then get some taller shocks, rinse and repeat.

Do Harley pegs not come with replaceable feelers?

Carth Dookie posted:

That slowmo is a great advertisement for full length boots with a reinforced ankle. Dude's lucky

Also for why you don't cover the clutch and worry the throttle mid corner. If you can't accelerate through the corner from the speed you're going, slow the gently caress down before you get there!

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Renaissance Robot posted:

Do Harley pegs not come with replaceable feelers?

Most don't seem to no, at least not stock. They usually look super crude and are probably designed to make you want to replace them with chrome skulls immediately. Also, boards make it possible to lift your weight up with your legs, steer the bike proper etc the way you mostly can't with forward pegs, while maintaining armchair posture. They grind in a really satisfying way, too. Sitting in a leather armchair doing little burnouts or grinding the boards into dust, all good harley fun :sun:

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Most big cruisers stand up when you get on the brakes as well, so I’m surprised to see a low side like that.

Now that I took the wolverine claw exhaust turndowns off the Goldwing it doesn’t scrape any more :smith:

epswing
Nov 4, 2003

Soiled Meat

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Most big cruisers stand up when you get on the brakes as well

(Not saying you’re wrong but...)

How’s that?

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

epalm posted:

(Not saying you’re wrong but...)

How’s that?

When you're leaned over, the contact patch of the tire is off-center. When you apply the brakes, say leaned over in a left-hand turn, the braking acts on the left side of the tire and not the center or right, twisting the tire, suspension and bars ever so slightly to the left, inducing countersteering. That countersteer makes the bike want to stand up and go right. Of course, it won't, because once you get stood up straight, the countersteering action stops, so all it really means is the bike wants to stand up in the corners.

Every bike is affected by this to some degree, but cruisers, with their usually wide, bulbous tires, relaxed rake angles and generally wonky geometry feel it much more than sportier bikes do.

Next time you're leaned over somewhere safe, push slightly on the opposite bar from the way you're leaning (push the right bar in a left-hand turn for example). The bike will want to stand up. It won't stop turning of course, but you will go a little wider in the turn and it will want to be upright.

Beve Stuscemi fucked around with this message at 15:51 on Sep 17, 2019

Shelvocke
Aug 6, 2013

Microwave Engraver
Today was the first day of my motorcycle mechanic course, and I already feel that stumping up the money was worth it.

The morning was spent on electrical theory and how it relates to moto, and the afternoon was using multimeters to diagnose electrical faults on the shop bikes. Brilliant.

epswing
Nov 4, 2003

Soiled Meat

Shelvocke posted:

Today was the first day of my motorcycle mechanic course, and I already feel that stumping up the money was worth it.

The morning was spent on electrical theory and how it relates to moto, and the afternoon was using multimeters to diagnose electrical faults on the shop bikes. Brilliant.

I'm jelly. Where are you taking the course?

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

When you're leaned over, the contact patch of the tire is off-center. When you apply the brakes, say leaned over in a left-hand turn, the braking acts on the left side of the tire and not the center or right, twisting the tire, suspension and bars ever so slightly to the left, inducing countersteering. That countersteer makes the bike want to stand up and go right. Of course, it won't, because once you get stood up straight, the countersteering action stops, so all it really means is the bike wants to stand up in the corners.

Every bike is affected by this to some degree, but cruisers, with their usually wide, bulbous tires, relaxed rake angles and generally wonky geometry feel it much more than sportier bikes do.

Next time you're leaned over somewhere safe, push slightly on the opposite bar from the way you're leaning (push the right bar in a left-hand turn for example). The bike will want to stand up. It won't stop turning of course, but you will go a little wider in the turn and it will want to be upright.

He did try to do that but he fell into the other trap of lowslung cruiser riding: he shut the gas. When you shut the gas the rear suspension stops standing up and you lose several degrees of ground clearance. The trick is to keep a steady throttle and do any line tightening with the rear brake. You could see him try to stay on the gas and nut it out but right at the end he runs out of road, shuts the throttle and it immediately starts grinding. This effect is really drastic on baggers and vrods, presumably because of the length.

Also what are wolverine claws that sounds rad.

Shelvocke
Aug 6, 2013

Microwave Engraver

epalm posted:

I'm jelly. Where are you taking the course?

The local college runs them; I'm doing one day a week for a year. There's an option to do the higher levels later if you want to do it for work but I think it'll always just be a hobby for me.

I'll probably ask at my local shop to do a few afternoons helping out for more hands-on.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Slavvy posted:

Also what are wolverine claws that sounds rad.

https://www.instagram.com/p/B1jGxLVnpZt/?igshid=n0ar762tljcb

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Why would you ever take those off???