Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Relevant Tangent posted:

KSA is full of nepotism idiots in uniforms, yeah?

if i remember thats mostly the officer corps. its mostly various mercenaries, failson conscripts or poor non saudies getting press ganged during the Hajj when it comes to boots on the ground.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vernii
Dec 7, 2006

Relevant Tangent posted:

KSA is full of nepotism idiots in uniforms, yeah?

Yea it's basically designed to be coup-proof more than anything else. There's the army which is full of your usual poorly trained peasants and poo poo, and the National Guard which has a higher level of training and gear and exists basically to keep an eye on the army. The officer corps of both are stuffed full of useless princes, and there's a byzantine bureaucracy put in place to ensure there's no clear line of communications between units and simple things like conducting an exercise in another province have to go through multiple levels of approval.

Turns out while it's basically impossible to get a clique of officers together for a coup, it also makes things like fighting a real war also impossible.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Vernii posted:

Yea it's basically designed to be coup-proof more than anything else. There's the army which is full of your usual poorly trained peasants and poo poo, and the National Guard which has a higher level of training and gear and exists basically to keep an eye on the army. The officer corps of both are stuffed full of useless princes, and there's a byzantine bureaucracy put in place to ensure there's no clear line of communications between units and simple things like conducting an exercise in another province have to go through multiple levels of approval.

Turns out while it's basically impossible to get a clique of officers together for a coup, it also makes things like fighting a real war also impossible.

the KSA as whole feels like some kinda of messed up shrine world dictator hellstate from some 40k lore dump.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Dapper_Swindler posted:

the KSA as whole feels like some kinda of messed up shrine world dictator hellstate from some 40k lore dump.
Your brain on Wahabism.

Squalid
Nov 4, 2008

Conspiratiorist posted:

They were built off commercial parts.

The AliExpress comment from before wasn't a joke.

Meanwhile in Libya, the UAE has been supplying their local proxies advanced military UAVs and UAV weapons, while Turkey supplies the other side with their own drones. This has resulted in a bloody unmanned air war over Tripoli in which neither side has effective anti-air counters but the light ordinance and limited scale means neither side is able to gain a decisive edge.

I feel like we are seeing a different kind of air war in both Yemen and Libya, and its really something that's new to irregular and low grade conflicts. Anybody can now put together their own air force on the cheap.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

https://twitter.com/thehill/status/1172970549443792899

CrazyLoon
Aug 10, 2015

"..."
This is kinda like that whole: "US should impose a no-fly zone over Syria" proposition, innit?

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

KSA are the ones who escalated this war to where it’s at now, they get what they deserve

My concern is that if the damage turns out to be very severe then the US military may take a more active role in this pointless war

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

CrazyLoon posted:

This is kinda like that whole: "US should impose a no-fly zone over Syria" proposition, innit?

Could you imagine a candidate running on this as a platform?

WAR CRIME GIGOLO fucked around with this message at 02:44 on Sep 15, 2019

pro starcraft loser
Jan 23, 2006

Stand back, this could get messy.

If the Saudis come running to us after a single strike on a flammable rear end refinery then why even prop them up in the region as an "ally"?

I mean besides the fact they oppose Iran and their brutal regime.

...almost as bad as Saudi Arabia's.....

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

tfw you have to admit your puppet is worthless and incompetent and step in to handle things yourself.

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

Lightning Knight posted:

tfw you have to admit your puppet is worthless and incompetent and step in to handle things yourself.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>
That drone strike on the Saudi oil facility has got to be one of the most cost effective attacks in the history of warfare. Just under 60% of saudi capacity offlined.

E: like if they were so inclined, the houthis probably could shut down a massive amount of saudi oil processing on a semi-permanent basis for an absolute pittance compared to what it would cost in lost production/counter measures/repairs.

E2: Anything is possible with this administration, but pro saudi sentiment in the US is at a historic low and it's even mostly bipartisan at this point, which makes it one of the only things period that you can say that about. Even in general terms, there's nearly zero public interest in starting another middle east military venture.

Herstory Begins Now fucked around with this message at 06:19 on Sep 15, 2019

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Herstory Begins Now posted:

That drone strike on the Saudi oil facility has got to be one of the most cost effective attacks in the history of warfare.

It's up there with the WWII commando raid on the heavy water plant in norway, mainly because of how absolutely balls-out expensive it was to produce weapons grade plutonium even if you're counting the fact that the nazis were unlikely to get anywhere near an atomic bomb regardless.

But yeah ruining operations at multiple refineries using mail order drones and ersatz explosive payloads is insanely high on the cost:damage ratio.

Saladman
Jan 12, 2010

Helsing posted:

Not that far from Abqaiq is one of the country's largest desalination plants. I wonder if it's possible to cripple operations at one of those facilities using the weapons available to the Houthi's because that could render large parts of Saudi Arabia uninhabitable very quickly, assuming they were able to score a direct hit and the damage couldn't be fixed quickly.

Attacking the water supply of another nation is an incredibly disgusting war crime that would be one of the few things they could actually draw more foreign powers back in to pound the Houthis. Even ISIS didn’t attack water supplies.

Saladman fucked around with this message at 08:35 on Sep 15, 2019

Flayer
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Buglord
ISIS did gently caress with the Tigris dam, it certainly wasn't beneath them to target water supplies it just wasn't in their interest at the time because they would have hurt their own positions in other locations.

The Houthis hitting SAs civilian logistics centres is likely to have the effect of ending a war which has killed vast swathes of the Yemeni population and sent millions into a miserable day to day existence.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

And ISIS qanted to govern the lands they take so breaking all the utilities is self defeating.

birdstrike
Oct 30, 2008

i;m gay
https://twitter.com/brickdustotis/status/1173161988798607360?s=21

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Flayer posted:

The Houthis hitting SAs civilian logistics centres is likely to have the effect of ending a war which has killed vast swathes of the Yemeni population and sent millions into a miserable day to day existence.

Inflicting pain on Saudi Arabia can do one of two things: it can either make the Saudis back down, or make them intensify their efforts since the Houthis will have proven themselves to be an even bigger threat that must be destroyed than the Saudis realized. It's a lot harder to establish deterrence once you're years into a war than it is beforehand. Withdrawing from Lebanon obviously didn't put a decisive end to Israel's problems with Hezbollah, and there's no guarantee the Houthis and Saudis would maintain a stable peace if the Saudis withdrew either.

Dr Kool-AIDS fucked around with this message at 13:19 on Sep 15, 2019

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.

Sinteres posted:

Inflicting pain on Saudi Arabia can do one of two things: it can either make the Saudis back down, or make them intensify their efforts since the Houthis will have proven themselves to be an even bigger threat that must be destroyed than the Saudis realized. It's a lot harder to establish deterrence once you're years into a war than it is beforehand. Withdrawing from Lebanon obviously didn't put a decisive end to Israel's problems with Hezbollah, and there's no guarantee the Houthis and Saudis would maintain a stable peace if the Saudis withdrew either.

There is literally no way the saudi's can further escalate and expect any change in results unless they shove hundreds of thousands of troops across the border, they're literally broken on every front and even their allies are broken.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Al-Saqr posted:

There is literally no way the saudi's can further escalate and expect any change in results unless they shove hundreds of thousands of troops across the border, they're literally broken on every front and even their allies are broken.

Depends on whether or not they can con the US into taking a more active role.

mila kunis
Jun 10, 2011

Saladman posted:

Attacking the water supply of another nation is an incredibly disgusting war crime that would be one of the few things they could actually draw more foreign powers back in to pound the Houthis. Even ISIS didn’t attack water supplies.

The saudis do!

It'd be a bad move for the houthis for other reasons though - if, as they claim, they have a lot of support in the saudi population, espescially in the shia regions.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
Looking forward to the 2021 unopposed and uncontested post-rout yemeni liberation of Riyadh

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa
With regards to attacking a desalination plant, my experience is that it is really difficult to get water to burn on its own so the methods would have to be different from those used against an oil refinery. And I would think twice before poisoning the water supply of someone who could do the same to me.

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

pro starcraft loser posted:

Huh. Good to know our staunch 'ally' in the Middle East, whom we provide some of the best equipment on the planet, can't deal with an unorganized militia in a country right next door.

They don't seem that unorganized tbh

Mans fucked around with this message at 18:09 on Sep 15, 2019

Kawasaki Nun
Jul 16, 2001

by Reene
Time to use our leased nuke! - MBS, probably

Kawasaki Nun fucked around with this message at 18:22 on Sep 15, 2019

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003

Nenonen posted:

With regards to attacking a desalination plant, my experience is that it is really difficult to get water to burn on its own so the methods would have to be different from those used against an oil refinery. And I would think twice before poisoning the water supply of someone who could do the same to me.

Uh what yemeni water supply? Their per capita supply is 7 or 8% of what is considered 'water stress' internationally.

Half shitposting, but all the most succesful efforts to set water on fire involved oil production dumping straight into local waterways, eg the cuyahoga river fire in cleveland. Granted back then gasoline was considered a useless refining byproduct and they were just dumping it all into rivers.

Herstory Begins Now fucked around with this message at 18:23 on Sep 15, 2019

Coldwar timewarp
May 8, 2007

Saudis have all the tools to de-escalate, they choose not to. They could probably bribe the houthis and end the war. Most of their diplomacy is bribery and its fairly effective. Then again, there is hubris.

lobotomy molo
May 7, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Nenonen posted:

Well, yeah, but any big industrial plant like that is gonna have some expensive fiddly bits that would take loving forever to replace

Electrical transformers, pump components, idk.

Coldwar timewarp
May 8, 2007

Fly Molo posted:

Well, yeah, but any big industrial plant like that is gonna have some expensive fiddly bits that would take loving forever to replace

Electrical transformers, pump components, idk.

I work with comparatively simple machines, and even then getting something from Korea has a good 8 week lead time. Saudis could pay for air freight, but that doesn’t help for things not in production. A facility like that will have purpose built equipment that just isn’t made anymore. Really interesting point I hadn’t considered.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
Yeah if they hit storage tanks that's a comparatively easy patch job. If they damage some massive multi ton purpose milled precision parts/machinery, then good luck getting it back online any time soon. They likely have a lot of equipment there that only a couple factories or machine shops in the world are equipped to produce.

If they keep flinging drone bombs, sooner or later they're going to blow up some extremely vital stuff. Also good lord imagine the morale of anyone working at a mega-refinery that is being regularly attacked by drone bombs.

There's also other long term effects of just having tons of petroleum products spilled and burned around where a bunch of people are working, which if this becomes a regular thing will absolutely be a big deal.

unwantedplatypus
Sep 6, 2012
I wonder what will happen if a solution to bomb drones isn't forthcoming

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
A lot of the current stuff could probably be stopped by a bunch of sufficiently aggro neighborhood crows, but that probably will change

Out of curiosity, because lasers is 1000% not my thing, is there any way to shine a 150mwt laser on something without causing vision damage to anyone who happens to be outside within miles of it? The potential for eye damage with even like 5w lasers is ridiculous even from indirect exposure.

Herstory Begins Now fucked around with this message at 21:54 on Sep 15, 2019

Less Claypool
Apr 16, 2009

More Primus For Fucks Sake.

Herstory Begins Now posted:

A lot of the current stuff could probably be stopped by a bunch of sufficiently aggro neighborhood crows, but that probably will change

Out of curiosity, because lasers is 1000% not my thing, is there any way to shine a 150mwt laser on something without causing vision damage to anyone who happens to be outside within miles of it? The potential for eye damage with even like 5w lasers is ridiculous even from indirect exposure.

The Israelis are working on that.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Sinteres posted:

Depends on whether or not they can con the US into taking a more active role.

Based on the initial bluster, things aren't looking good.

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/1173368423381962752

Trump's notoriously an over-promiser and under-deliverer, so hopefully he'll calm down here too. If the reports that it was missiles from Iraq rather than drones from Yemen are true though, that's not great.

Charliegrs
Aug 10, 2009

Sinteres posted:

Trump's notoriously an over-promiser and under-deliverer, so hopefully he'll calm down here too. If the reports that it was missiles from Iraq rather than drones from Yemen are true though, that's not great.

It's going to be whoever the Saudis want it to be.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Sinteres posted:

so if the missles are from iraq? who is it than? shia miltias? nu-isis?

Charliegrs
Aug 10, 2009

Dapper_Swindler posted:

If the drones or missiles or whatever they were actually came from Iraq then it would most likely be some Iranian allied Shia milita. Iraq is full of them and they are outside of the control of the Iraqi government since they did a lot of the heavy lifting in beating back ISIS in Iraq.

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010

Dapper_Swindler posted:

If it's from Iraq, the Saudi's will probably say that it was done by Iranian proxies.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Charliegrs posted:

If the drones or missiles or whatever they were actually came from Iraq then it would most likely be some Iranian allied Shia milita. Iraq is full of them and they are outside of the control of the Iraqi government since they did a lot of the heavy lifting in beating back ISIS in Iraq.

yeah. i mean i personally think the missle/drone attack was done or sponsored by Iran. i am more surprised how bold it was.