Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

coffeetable posted:

it's bikeshedding. even on the internet, only a minority of people are happy to offer an opinion on history or politics or current affairs or whatever. whenever someone makes the mistake of bringing up a topic that anybody can offer an opinion on, surprise, people come out of the woodwork to give their two cents

and crisps? well what colour you should paint the crisps is something everyone understands
At this point, there's so much paint involved that there's no way we can fit bikes in the shed, so it's become a paintshed.
Besides, we all know that this is the only right way to present it!

Ms Fuchi posted:

Why would Trump want to bring a middleman into his relationship with Putin?

efb :smithcloud:
:yaybutt:

Also, somewhat related to this thread, the two latest podcasts are excellent for listening to while cleaning as it keeps my mind occupied while doing tedious work. :allears:

EDIT: Since I don't like to post pictures of my own cat, here's catte tax from the blessed pics thread

Hyperlynx posted:

I have no pics of it, but today one of my cats informed me he wanted cuddles by climbing onto my chest and nuzzling my face. This guy:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Superterranean
May 3, 2005

after we lit this one, nothing was ever the same

OwlFancier posted:

I honestly don't know if I can suppress the visceral, skin crawling revulsion I feel when I look at the tory benches and just see this mass of festering, decrepit flesh. Because it's just so intertwined with everything I hate about their politics, they're these ancient old fossils that just linger on and spend their time shuffling around westminster working slowly to ruin the lives of everyone else, they all look like they've been pickled in cognac and formaldehyde and they're all loving nonces to boot. And the only reason they're there is institutional, they have no energy, no actual fire, they fell face first into their positions and just put in the least amount of effort required to gently caress everyone else over, and they sit and jeer like loving children because they are children, big old children who have never had an original or independent thought in their lives extended only by dint of institutional privilege. They look like their politics, I can't break that connection in my head. They look like everything you hate about what they do.

I dunno, it's probably not fair but I don't know how to stop feeling like that. I try to focus on affectations rather than things people can't help but I would be utterly lying if I didn't see what tories look like as a product of the things I hate about them.

Dehumanizing political opponents is a a bad, bad look. Not least because it allows everyone who wants a reason to dismiss your actual arguments to do so on the basis of bad behaviour instead of, yknow, actually arguing.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

coffeetable posted:

it might be recall bias but ive felt for a while that women in politics get a harder time from this thread than men. certainly over appearance, but more generally too
It may be because this thread talks about women in politics more than average too.

Like I don't know many places that talk about Diane Abbott as much as this thread that aren't either Hackney North or some loving racist cesspit like Twitter or 8chan or the Home Office, but this thread is the height of respectfulness in comparison to anywhere else on that front.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

This smiley is doing things to me :stare:

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Superterranean posted:

Dehumanizing political opponents is a a bad, bad look. Not least because it allows everyone who wants a reason to dismiss your actual arguments to do so on the basis of bad behaviour instead of, yknow, actually arguing.

I'm not sure I agree with the idea that it is an ineffective political strategy, people who appeal to decorum are a political faction unto themselves and one that will probably not be on board with radical political positions of any stripe even if presented "politely". People do not arrive at decisions by rational argument, they arrive at them based on instict and inertia and prejudice and emotional investment. A compelling argument is probably not a rational one, but an emotionally satisfiyng one that "feels" rational. If people want to dismiss your argument they will find, or manufacture, a reason to do it.

I would suggest it is a dangerous route, sure, as it runs the risk of people you don't want to target getting caught up in the crossfire, but I would not at all say it's a poor method of political activism. I think it is a quite effective way to do politics, the question is whether, and who, you're willing to throw under the bus to pursue it.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 13:08 on Sep 15, 2019

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

OwlFancier posted:

I honestly don't know if I can suppress the visceral, skin crawling revulsion I feel when I look at the tory benches and just see this mass of festering, decrepit flesh. Because it's just so intertwined with everything I hate about their politics, they're these ancient old fossils that just linger on and spend their time shuffling around westminster working slowly to ruin the lives of everyone else, they all look like they've been pickled in cognac and formaldehyde and they're all loving nonces to boot. And the only reason they're there is institutional, they have no energy, no actual fire, they fell face first into their positions and just put in the least amount of effort required to gently caress everyone else over, and they sit and jeer like loving children because they are children, big old children who have never had an original or independent thought in their lives extended only by dint of institutional privilege. They look like their politics, I can't break that connection in my head. They look like everything you hate about what they do.

I dunno, it's probably not fair but I don't know how to stop feeling like that. I try to focus on affectations rather than things people can't help but I would be utterly lying if I didn't see what tories look like as a product of the things I hate about them.

Superterranean
May 3, 2005

after we lit this one, nothing was ever the same

OwlFancier posted:

I'm not sure I agree with the idea that it is an ineffective political strategy, people who appeal to decorum are a political faction unto themselves and one that will probably not be on board with radical political positions of any stripe even if presented "politely". People do not arrive at decisions by rational argument, they arrive at them based on instict and inertia and prejudice and emotional investment. A compelling argument is probably not a rational one, but an emotionally satisfiyng one that "feels" rational. If people want to dismiss your argument they will find, or manufacture, a reason to do it.

I would suggest it is a dangerous route, sure, as it runs the risk of people you don't want to target getting caught up in the crossfire, but I would not at all say it's a poor method of political activism. I think it is a quite effective way to do politics, the question is whether, and who, you're willing to throw under the bus to pursue it.

As long as you're OK with the revolution eating itself, I guess

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Whether I'm OK with it or not doesn't really signify, I would suggest that the reason you have revolutions is because of that sort of motivation, and that is the reason they are able to be both revolutionary and self destructive. I do not know of a method of political activism that is effective, predictable, and precise. I do not, honestly, think there is one.

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

At night, Bavovnyatko quietly comes to the occupiers’ bases, depots, airfields, oil refineries and other places full of flammable items and starts playing with fire there

Hentai Jihadist posted:

Oh poo poo is this why every time I walk into the room my friends stop making fun of bojos disgusting face and apologise to me...?

Everyone gets it, you don't have a problem with body-shaming women, could you kindly stop whining endlessly about being called out on it, please?

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

Rust Martialis posted:

Everyone gets it, you don't have a problem with body-shaming women, could you kindly stop whining endlessly about being called out on it, please?

lol nice scolding

Communist Thoughts fucked around with this message at 13:19 on Sep 15, 2019

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

Yisssssss

Like forkboy said, this is way overdue. Replace all vape shops with weed shops (and ok, I guess vaporisers for weed)

Ratjaculation
Aug 3, 2007

:parrot::parrot::parrot:

I body-shame all Tories for being soulless husks

Oh dear me
Aug 14, 2012

I have burned numerous saucepans, sometimes right through the metal

Hentai Jihadist posted:

itd probably be rude to ask if there are any very ugly posters itt who are offended by critiques of bojo or rorys looks

It's not about 'offence', come on, that's a standard right-wing rhetorical shift. It's this:

Ms Fuchi posted:

And by focusing on appearance we're losing out on a lot of talented, passionate people who will never run for public office because they're not conventionally attractive, or they're trans and don't pass, and the ordeal of going through that torturous public gaze is too much for them

And this:

Rarity posted:

It's that by focusing on appearance (for either men and women) it perpetuates society's fascination with particular body images, and for the many people that don't fit that image of conventional attractiveness it fucks them up. We're talking depression, we're talking anxiety, we're talking self-harm, we're talking eating disorders and even suicide.

I have horsey teeth and (hangs head) an insufficiency of chin and I know drat well what this thread would make of my appearance if I were Tory. I think it was also a shamefully large factor in preventing me from standing for local elections when younger, as well, although it's easy to fool oneself about such things.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Hentai Jihadist posted:

lol nice scolding

Oh shut the gently caress up already. If the best you can come up with is "Jo Swinson has funny looking teeth" you should probably sit in a darkened room for several days surviving on bread & water until you can come up with something funnier or more incisive.

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Oh dear me posted:

It's not about 'offence', come on, that's a standard right-wing rhetorical shift. It's this:

And this:

I have horsey teeth and (hangs head) an insufficiency of chin and I know drat well what this thread would make of my appearance if I were Tory. I think it was also a shamefully large factor in preventing me from standing for local elections when younger, as well, although it's easy to fool oneself about such things.

i dont mean "offence" to dismiss it, being offended is real and sucks.

i think its pretty key that you say this thread would make fun of your appearance if you were a tory, they certainly would for me too, probably for any poster ITT even the prettiest ones. charlie kirk isnt conventionally unattractive but its fun to make fun of his tiny face.
cause when we make fun of bojo for looking like a melting icecream with hair its because hes a tory, not because hes ugly. his ugliness is something incidental we can flavour our disgust at his politics with to vent or have fun.

im not sure i think it contributes to our appearance obsessed culture, rather than being a small reflection of it, i think thats a factor of us all having eyes and being visual creatures and recently exacerbated by everything being on TV.

forkboy84 posted:

Oh shut the gently caress up already. If the best you can come up with is "Jo Swinson has funny looking teeth" you should probably sit in a darkened room for several days surviving on bread & water until you can come up with something funnier or more incisive.

easy doggo, down boy

i was referencing thing other people have said. I actually havent criticised Jo's appearance and even accept that not criticizing womens appearance is a good rule cause goons cant be trusted, i posted as much twice. I do take issue with not being able to criticize ugly men who rule the country though, on the grounds its punching up, not doing it makes politics less fun and just increases the issue with leftism all being about policing eachother.

Mebh
May 10, 2010

Just... don't give people poo poo for their appearances? Yes even Michael Gove.

For every red faced "Gammon" Tory hooting on the benches of parliament there's someone with Rosacea or an alcohol problem that looks in the mirror and hates themselves.

Besides that it just gives people with poo poo policies and opinions something else to hide behind and deflect with. Don't give them the chance.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Hentai Jihadist posted:

im not sure i think it contributes to our appearance obsessed culture, rather than being a small reflection of it, i think thats a factor of us all having eyes and being visual creatures and recently exacerbated by everything being on TV.

It can be both.

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.
Have some brain worms...
https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2019/sep/15/people-have-lost-faith-support-labour-ebbs-away-blair-sedgefield

“I would rather have Piers Morgan as prime minister. I know it seems mad, but he’s consistent and isn’t afraid to say what he thinks. Nigel Farage cuts through in the same way.’”

"I believe Europe is destroying us. I would prefer to be a satellite of America than Europe"

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
Who replaced Blair

https://twitter.com/InstituteGC/status/1173193503683371009?s=19

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Maybe the Tony Blair Institute is to Tony Blair as the Adam Smith Institute is to Adam Smith.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
https://twitter.com/MrJohnNicolson/status/1173157525803474944?s=19

Sanitary Naptime
May 29, 2006

MIWK!

Guavanaut posted:

Maybe the Tony Blair Institute is to Tony Blair as the Adam Smith Institute is to Adam Smith.

If only

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

"overt slipperiness" is an interesting euphamism for lying

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

At night, Bavovnyatko quietly comes to the occupiers’ bases, depots, airfields, oil refineries and other places full of flammable items and starts playing with fire there

Hentai Jihadist posted:

"overt slipperiness" is an interesting euphamism for lying

I think "blatant lying" might be a better rendering.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:
Trying to ingratiate himself with Corbyn, to prevent being sent to the Hague.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

It's not a decorum thing, it's about whether you're the kind of person who attacks someone for their appearance or their accent or whatever, if that's a cool and ok thing to do. If you say "I only do it to Tories" then really that's just an excuse to indulge, and you wouldn't have a bit of racism just because the target is a bad person right? Because it's an attitude you want to discourage everywhere, it has wider impacts on society by existing, it's pervasive and causes a lot of unhappiness and mental health issues, it's bad!

Everyone's buddy thought slime had a thing recently

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4NB1JgqSD8c

Marmaduke!
May 19, 2009

Why would it do that!?

Basically: Her boss is a known liar so why should she see a problem with it?

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

baka kaba posted:

It's not a decorum thing, it's about whether you're the kind of person who attacks someone for their appearance or their accent or whatever, if that's a cool and ok thing to do. If you say "I only do it to Tories" then really that's just an excuse to indulge, and you wouldn't have a bit of racism just because the target is a bad person right?
I will mock prestige dialects but not marginalized ones and I don't think reverse racism is a thing. What's the appearance version of that?

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Mebh posted:

For every red faced "Gammon" Tory hooting on the benches of parliament there's someone with Rosacea or an alcohol problem that looks in the mirror and hates themselves.

i do think this is really funny though

Bobstar
Feb 8, 2006

KartooshFace, you are not responding efficiently!

Guavanaut posted:

I will mock prestige dialects but not marginalized ones and I don't think reverse racism is a thing. What's the appearance version of that?

Mocking people for being too conventionally good looking I guess? If anything.

Oh dear me
Aug 14, 2012

I have burned numerous saucepans, sometimes right through the metal

Guavanaut posted:

It would surely be jeering at people for being attractive, which is not a thing that happens.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I mean it does but it's mostly directed at women or associated with being gay.

radmonger
Jun 6, 2011
My turn to ask this thread for life advice.

My friend is trying for the ‘life in the UK’ test, and is stressing out about it. She has an app that does a mock exam on the pamphlet. Trying it out and, amongst reasonable questions like ‘what is boxing day’ or ‘is Eastenders a TV soap or a national park’, there are questions that would fit into the last round of who want to be a millionaire. Like ‘what year the UK join the Council of Europe’ and ‘how many members are there in the Northern Ireland Assembly’. Which are all multiple choice, but with numbers close enough together that you can’t really on estimating.

My first instinct is the app is exaggerating how bad the test is; supposedly only 24% fail. But then I remember we are talking about the Tory-run Home Office. So copying a literacy test from 1950’s Alabama is pretty much par for the course.

Anyone got recent experience? I can offer to buy and eat a Monster Munch of your preferred flavour in return...

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

As far as I'm aware that's literally the point of the life in the UK test, to require you to memorise a bunch of pointless facts nobody who was born here would ever give a poo poo about, in order to deter you from being able to immigrate.

Entirely consistent with making benefits available on paper but practically impossible to acquire due to all the obstacles in the way.

Sanitary Naptime
May 29, 2006

MIWK!

I don’t think I’ve even managed to more than scrape a pass on one of those tests and my family history is extremely British and extremely white.

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Sanitary Naptime posted:

I don’t think I’ve even managed to more than scrape a pass on one of those tests and my family history is extremely British and extremely white.

ah, you passed where it counts then

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010
https://twitter.com/KeejayOV2/status/1173226552089370625

Jo pushed for the EU referendum during the coalition and the only reason she didn't vote for the referendum is because she'd lost her seat in 2015.

She really is just a female Nick Clegg.

el dingo
Mar 19, 2009

Ogres are like onions

OwlFancier posted:

in order to deter you from being able to immigrate.

This was my experience with UKBA. Took me ages to figure out which form I was supposed to be using. Form is full of questions they don't actually need to ask, hugely complicated and takes 6 months to process. I was nearly a bloody immigration lawyer by the end of it.

People hear I'm from new zealand and assume I got in easy, I always let them know nothing could be farther from the truth, and comparatively I probably did have an easier experience than many others.

By the way if anyone needs a few pointers or whatever I'd be happy to help. Maybe not here tho, it'd be a bit of a derail, an A/T thread perhaps?

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Mebh posted:

Just... don't give people poo poo for their appearances? Yes even Michael Gove.

Yeah, but some of them probably don't look in the mirror and hate themselves and it's them I'm more worried about.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Also I think there's a clear distinction between Gammon as an insult against middle aged men who's heads go salmon pink as they work themselves into a fury of indignation at various fackin liber'eys, and people who through no fault of their own have skin that's redder than normal while otherwise calm. It's the stupidity, rage and wilful ignorance that's being mocked rather than the redness.