Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Space Butler
Dec 3, 2010

Lipstick Apathy

Snowmankilla posted:

I feel like I have read through the whole thread but still have a question. Anyone bought actual fancy (bootleg) LEGO sets off Ali? I want the DB9 set, but not for $200. Is it worth $35?

Several. I got the caterham 7 for myself, which I think was missing one brick but looks great, and I've bought my brother the old technic endurance car that he says is great. I have cheaper ones too, a unimog which is cool but the elastic band suspension broke after like a month, and a couple of ford GTs I haven't got around to building yet.

They're well worth the fraction of the real price you pay on ali. I don't know how well they'd hold up if you gave them to a kid, but for looking cool on a shelf they're perfect.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shut up Meg
Jan 8, 2019

You're safe here.

NoneMoreNegative posted:

Thought I'd take a gamble on a cheap digi watch, and I'm surprised at how not-poo poo it is; if you like the Vader style I would recommend one :cool:

https://m.aliexpress.com/item/32805750651.html

(note: had to get a couple links taken out of the strap to fit it properly, this cost me as much as the watch itself) :o:

Silly boy. You should be doing this yourself:

Snowmankilla
Dec 6, 2000

True, true

Awesome! Thanks!

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Pimblor posted:

If you can stand it, look over at /r/dashcam. There's a side bar with various recommendations. Also get an SD card rated for dashcams, the constants writes to the card ruin regular SD cards in about 6 months.

Ah neat, will give that a browse. Thanks!

Shut up Meg posted:

Just FYI, we have a dashcam thread of its very own:
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3597215

and if you're planning to spend more than $20 on a camera, take a look at Techmoan
http://www.techmoan.com/guide-to-dashcams/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HQ0Tm9FFpKM
Just be aware that his videos are quite old, so a lot of stuff that was cutting edge and expensive is now cheap.

S.Florida is hot, isn't it? You might want to consider something that can run on a capacitor rather than a battery as the heat can kills batteries.

E: YI Dashcam from Amazon for $50
https://www.amazon.com/YI-1080P60-Dashboard-G-Sensor-Recording/dp/B01C89GCHU/
Very good brand and you get Amazon delivery and service, inc warranty.

Ha, yeah everything I know (not much) about dashcams is from his channel. Yeah he hasn’t rated many recently, I watch pretty much everything he puts up even if it doesn’t directly interest me. Yeah it’s hot as balls down here so that sounds a good plan, especially if I’m parked with no shade. The Yi will be my top runner for now then, definitely makes it a bit easier just relying on amazon. Thanks!

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Are you ever sad that your finger nails don't match your car paint? Worry no longer! Chameleon Pigments Acrylic Paint Powder Coating Chameleon Dye for Cars Arts Crafts Nails Decoration Painting Supplies has got you covered!

Paint your bike!

Paint your nails!

Paint your dishes!

Is it food safe? Who knows! The sales page doesn't mention it one way or the other. Why live with the uncertainty of not knowing your cheap knockoff cosmetics contain industrial chemicals or not? Skip the middleman and buy the industrial chemicals yourself.

Okay, that looks good, but do you have any dubious pigments that glow in the dark? Oh boy, do they! Pink Color Luminous Paint Noctilucent Powder Fluorescence DIY Party Creative Glow In Dark Decorations for Home. Put it on your shoes. Put it on your phone. Now just smear it directly on your lips and eyes.

Is it safe? Don't be a loving pussy. Look, it says right here

Uh, okay, that doesn't actually say anything about it being safe to stick in your eye. OTOH it doesn't say it's not safe. Do you want to be safe or do you want to be beautiful?

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

Don't forget to shape the brush with your mouth.:byoscience:

brocked
Oct 25, 2005

All shall love me and despair!
Apparently my 7 year old is getting a Super Mario Bros birthday party in November... Any great stuff on Ali for this? I saw some plush keychains for like a dollar that I'll probably get as party favors (should be around 10 kids max)

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
There are so many cheap options that are bio-safe that I'd be surprised if they were using anything else. That watch dial is almost certainly phosphorescent rather than tritium or whatever.

Guy Axlerod
Dec 29, 2008

brocked posted:

Apparently my 7 year old is getting a Super Mario Bros birthday party in November... Any great stuff on Ali for this? I saw some plush keychains for like a dollar that I'll probably get as party favors (should be around 10 kids max)

November might be a bit soon for you to get your stuff. Usually it's fine, but you might want a backup.

Hug in a Can
Aug 1, 2010

NICE FLAMINGO
kind heart
fierce mind
brave spirit

:h: be good and try hard! :h:

Maybe the best customer image section I've ever seen?

US $4.55 20% Off | New Arraival Kermit Plush Toys Sesame Street Doll Stuffed Animal Plush Frog Doll For Kids Christmas Gifts
https://s.click.aliexpress.com/e/2eXUhgos

bus hustler
Mar 14, 2019

Ha Ha Ha... YES!
This is how my Harry Potter Justice Magician set came packaged. The bricks do not say LEGO on the bumps, so they aren't just like, the exact same thing without the packaging, but the stickers and stuff are obviously actually Harry Potter and seem like the official LEGO stickers. Not entirely sure, but mine came in separate bags inside of the bigger one. I so far wouldn't say they're much different in strength either, but I bought this on a whim and it's my first time handling legos in forever.

It was $29 and arrived very quickly. It's like 900+ pieces.

bus hustler fucked around with this message at 17:56 on Sep 15, 2019

Gann Jerrod
Sep 9, 2005

A gun isn't a gun unless it shoots Magic.

brocked posted:

If your little tykes is fond of Mario Kart may I suggest this pin?

http://s.aliexpress.com/3AvAzA3e

But seriously these pins could be good party favors:

http://s.aliexpress.com/ERBZ77FZ

I also picked up a set of these Switch thumb pads that are quite nice

http://s.aliexpress.com/ruEBBZNf

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!

goatface posted:

There are so many cheap options that are bio-safe that I'd be surprised if they were using anything else. That watch dial is almost certainly phosphorescent rather than tritium or whatever.

It's probably fine, but why take the chance? The risk isn't that they substituted in something more expensive and toxic, but used leftover mystery filler to stretch a production run.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
They'd probably just use concrete dust like everybody else.

Molten Llama
Sep 20, 2006

Hug in a Can posted:

Maybe the best customer image section I've ever seen?

US $4.55 20% Off | New Arraival Kermit Plush Toys Sesame Street Doll Stuffed Animal Plush Frog Doll For Kids Christmas Gifts
https://s.click.aliexpress.com/e/2eXUhgos

Now I want to order one for the wonky eyes, but I'd probably get the rare one they assembled correctly.

Horse Clocks
Dec 14, 2004

Horse Clocks posted:

Long-life SD card recording camera to find out who’s loving with my bike at night.

Hoping both the cameras work well. One to catch idiots on the road, the other to catch idiots in my apartment.
Put this up, hidden, and it was stolen within a day. :downsgun: ... From within a private underground car park.

People are cunts.

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

"That's right. We've evolved."

"I can see that. Cool mutations."

Facebook Aunt posted:

Are you ever sad that your finger nails don't match your car paint? Worry no longer! Chameleon Pigments Acrylic Paint Powder Coating Chameleon Dye for Cars Arts Crafts Nails Decoration Painting Supplies has got you covered!

To be fair, that's basically just fancy pigment for automotive paint. In the instructions they specify that you need to supply your own varnish, curing agent, solvent, spray gun, filter, and (presumably? lol) safety equipment.

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

Might as well buy stuff with the pigment already mixed in.

ante
Apr 9, 2005

SUNSHINE AND RAINBOWS

Horse Clocks posted:

Put this up, hidden, and it was stolen within a day. :downsgun: ... From within a private underground car park.

People are cunts.

Put up a camera to watch the camera

Rascar Capac
Aug 31, 2016

Surprisingly nice, for an evil Inca mummy.

YOU KNOW WHAT A LOVE LETTER IS? IT’S A BULLET FROM A loving GUN, FUCKER!

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

brocked posted:

If you choose e-packet shipping it should be fine, might add an extra $5 or something.

Viscous Soda
Apr 24, 2004

Horse Clocks posted:

People are cunts.

How hidden was it?

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Viscous Soda posted:

How hidden was it?

Not as hidden as it is now :smugmrgw:

The Fattest PI
Mar 4, 2008

Horse Clocks posted:

People are cunts.

Somebody saw you putting it up. I'm assuming you weren't very tactical about the installation.

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Wait, so can you not see the footage of someone stealing it? I assume it broadcasts the recording to your pc or phone or something right? Or is it just that it records it on to the sd card on the camera and you have to go physically retrieve the card to actually get the footage...

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

"That's right. We've evolved."

"I can see that. Cool mutations."

DeadFatDuckFat posted:

Wait, so can you not see the footage of someone stealing it? I assume it broadcasts the recording to your pc or phone or something right? Or is it just that it records it on to the sd card on the camera and you have to go physically retrieve the card to actually get the footage...

I imagine the WiFi in the underground concrete parkade was less than optimal.

Lodin
Jul 31, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

brocked posted:

This set of Mario crap is awesome if the quality holds up. I have the original Mario one with just a Goomba and a coin and that cost me over 40 bucks so 30 isn't that bad. Easily the best Mario action figure on the market.
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32323651549.html

revwinnebago
Oct 4, 2017

Charles Bukowski posted:

So did someone say there was a fitness tracker worth buying on Ali?

The Huawei Band series is 100% selling your info to the Chinese government and making a backdoor to your phone.

It's also by far the best deal on the market, and I've had 3 versions whose worst problem was that firmware updates can be random and dumb and frequent so sometimes things change for no reason... but it never borked or anything, just like the heart tracking options would change, revert, be new, revert, go back to the old way, then be new again.

Horse Clocks
Dec 14, 2004

The Fattest PI posted:

Somebody saw you putting it up. I'm assuming you weren't very tactical about the installation.

Evidently not.

I bought two, so I’m going to remove the second from it’s plastic and flatten it out and try to hide it even more.

DeadFatDuckFat posted:

There’s very little wifi one floor underground.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Got all my aliexpress orders, gonna post some customer images once I can be bothered to take them. The android head unit from banggood is still stuck somewhere :(

If you ever wondered how the Chinese actually recycle our trash, well, they put it in shoes and sell it back to us:

The russian translation for space is space... as in outer space. I know it's a dumb google translate thing but I imagined a Men in Black scenario with actual galaxies being contained between a shoe and some lady's toes and laughed like an idiot.

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Horse Clocks posted:

Evidently not.

I bought two, so I’m going to remove the second from it’s plastic and flatten it out and try to hide it even more.

There’s very little wifi one floor underground.

Ah dang. I feel like there must be some way that I'm not thinking of to have that set up a little better. Maybe if you have an old phone or laptop or something that you can have stashed in your trunk where it can send footage? I guess that won't help if someone just flat out steals your car though. I dunno.

kakotheres
Nov 9, 2016

Do the job that is in front of you

The owner of this foot needs to go to the hospital :negative:

dumbmrblah
May 31, 2003

With the prices likely increasing dramatically starting next month because of the USA withdrawning from the International post office Union are you all stocking up on anything? The days of $1 pins may be over.

Personally I've been stocking up on fountain pens and cheap cables.

For reference:
https://www.lawfareblog.com/withdrawal-universal-postal-union-guide-perplexed

Fawf
Nov 5, 2009

It's Me, It's Me, It's DDD

mobby_6kl posted:

Got all my aliexpress orders, gonna post some customer images once I can be bothered to take them. The android head unit from banggood is still stuck somewhere :(

If you ever wondered how the Chinese actually recycle our trash, well, they put it in shoes and sell it back to us:

Think of all the meat you could put in there

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

mobby_6kl posted:

excuse me, link please

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

Fawf posted:

Think of all the meat you could put in there

Charles Bukowski
Aug 26, 2003

Taskmaster 2023 Second Place Winner

Grimey Drawer
I expect it will still be cheap shipping for us Canadians? :)

SeXReX
Jan 9, 2009

I drink, mostly.
And get mad at people on the internet

:emptyquote:

Like the worlds worst tap shoes

yoloer420
May 19, 2006

Charles Bukowski posted:

I expect it will still be cheap shipping for us Canadians? :)

Same, but Australia! I'm hoping the US withdrawing doesn't tank the rates for everyone else.

I've got my fingers crossed that it will reduce shipping costs from the US to Australia though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

Other countries will probably be fine.

A Brazilian friend of mine said shipping (and item cost) were way higher for him than for my European self. Where I had a shipping cost of just 83 cents, he'd have to pay the equivalent of 3.something euros.