Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

GABA ghoul posted:

They hold all the wealth and political power, op
Yeah, until you take it off them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Der Meister
May 12, 2001

RobattoJesus posted:

I only know 1 woman who voted for Brexit and she's dead now.

bless ur heart that u think this is true

RobattoJesus
Aug 13, 2002

Der Meister posted:

bless ur heart that u think this is true

So you're saying she faked her own death to get out of the shame of voting for Brexit? :hmmyes:

Der Meister
May 12, 2001

RobattoJesus posted:

So you're saying she faked her own death to get out of the shame of voting for Brexit? :hmmyes:

either that or you know countless lead brained morons who voted for brexit take ur pick

Burt
Sep 23, 2007

Poke.

Dravs posted:

lmao, old people will never give up the right to vote. loving over the poor, young and disenfranchised is the only thing that brings joy to the withered husks where their hearts used to be.

This is the absolutely nail on the head truth. I am probably just old enough to be classed as a boomer and the urge to go on a rampage with a fire axe when talking to my peers is sometimes overwhelming.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

None of my friends or family voted for Brexit either. My dead grandad probably would have though. I remember him telling me how scary it was when he went on holiday to Phoenix Arizona and there were some black people having a party in the room next door.

Heavy_D
Feb 16, 2002

"rararararara" contains the meaning of everything, kept in simple rectangular structures

Heavy_D posted:

The plan to effectively wave lorries through customs to avoid days of queues might help supplies get into the country in the short term...

Just came back to this post and realised it looked a bit like me directly quoting Tory policy so to clarify:

The plan to effectively wave lorries through customs to avoid days of queues might help supplies of illegal drugs get into the country in the short term...

If that happens and our Methadone supply chain gets disrupted there will be a spike of deaths in the drug treatment system

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

The LibDems are about to pass Labour in voting intention.

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

Nonsense posted:

not really

they haven't had much forward progress lately, stalling out around 20%. at the lower end of labour polling, this is competitive (which is grim, of course), but i haven't seen a single poll since labour's remain pivot where the lib dems are above labour - which i would have if they were within 4 or so points, since the british make lots of polls

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

V. Illych L. posted:

not really

they haven't had much forward progress lately, stalling out around 20%. at the lower end of labour polling, this is competitive (which is grim, of course), but i haven't seen a single poll since labour's remain pivot where the lib dems are above labour - which i would have if they were within 4 or so points, since the british make lots of polls

CORBYN BAD

Blaisedell
May 7, 2008

Nonsense posted:

I'm not sure it will amount to much when people are faced with the reality of FPTP. In 2010, after the first prime ministerial TV debate (ever), they were riding high in the polls, but this didn't actually translate to seats.

It's still slightly worrying that people appear to be falling for the Lib Dem bullshit (again).

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
My parents neighbour had terminal cancer when he voted leave and died 2 months after the vote

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

Blaisedell posted:

I'm not sure it will amount to much when people are faced with the reality of FPTP. In 2010, after the first prime ministerial TV debate (ever), they were riding high in the polls, but this didn't actually translate to seats.

It's still slightly worrying that people appear to be falling for the Lib Dem bullshit (again).

literally ran on a mandate to not raise tuition fees

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

Jose posted:

My parents neighbour had terminal cancer when he voted leave and died 2 months after the vote

he didnt wanna be stuck in the european afterlife dumbass

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

Jose posted:

Well he got his wish.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

Jose posted:

No romanians going to come over and take his grave.

Dravs
Mar 8, 2011

You've done well, kiddo.

Heavy_D posted:

Just came back to this post and realised it looked a bit like me directly quoting Tory policy so to clarify:

The plan to effectively wave lorries through customs to avoid days of queues might help supplies of illegal drugs get into the country in the short term...

If that happens and our Methadone supply chain gets disrupted there will be a spike of deaths in the drug treatment system

You're thinking too small. There are far more hosed up things than mere drugs that would be waved through if they actually went ahead with a policy like this.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Pillbug

Heavy_D posted:

The plan to effectively wave lorries through customs to avoid days of queues might help supplies get into the country in the short term...

Every trucker gonna be Han Solo, smuggling poo poo against the evil UK empire.
"This rust bucket did the Calais run in 12 hours"

Heavy_D
Feb 16, 2002

"rararararara" contains the meaning of everything, kept in simple rectangular structures

Dravs posted:

You're thinking too small. There are far more hosed up things than mere drugs that would be waved through if they actually went ahead with a policy like this.

isn't it depressing that even the tiniest Brexit gently caress-ups are going to get people killed

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

extremely

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Heavy_D posted:

isn't it depressing that even the tiniest Brexit gently caress-ups are going to get people killed

Its depressing that the UK is in such a fragile state that people are already dying and that the people in power are looking to take a sledgehammer to the a load bearing wall.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Pillbug

Rigged Death Trap posted:

Its depressing that the UK is in such a fragile state that people are already dying and that the people in power are looking to take a sledgehammer to the a load bearing wall.

In order to stop the neighbour from visiting

twoday
May 4, 2005

C-SPAM Times best-selling author

Dravs posted:

Also, the drugs and weapons that are smuggled in will generate a vast amount of wealth for the smugglers, who will work to solidify the traffic. There will also be fighting between rival cartels, and so lots of violence, facilitated by the aforementioned weapons.

Everyone thinks that a no deal will lead to no exchange of goods. It will continue, but it will just be illegal, because the legal channels for doing so will become too prohibitive in terms of cost, and the profit generated by smuggling will appeal to people who are suffering from the bad economy. It's the perfect recipe for the creation of a powerful mafia.

For further reference, see the black market in Japan after World War II, or 1990's Russia.

Civilized Fishbot
Apr 3, 2011

Der Meister posted:

either that or you know countless lead brained morons who voted for brexit take ur pick

Never bet on a goon knowing people

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007

twoday posted:

Also, the drugs and weapons that are smuggled in will generate a vast amount of wealth for the smugglers, who will work to solidify the traffic. There will also be fighting between rival cartels, and so lots of violence, facilitated by the aforementioned weapons.

Everyone thinks that a no deal will lead to no exchange of goods. It will continue, but it will just be illegal, because the legal channels for doing so will become too prohibitive in terms of cost, and the profit generated by smuggling will appeal to people who are suffering from the bad economy. It's the perfect recipe for the creation of a powerful mafia.

For further reference, see the black market in Japan after World War II, or 1990's Russia.

Did russia and Japan hold all the cards too?

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

happyhippy posted:

Every trucker gonna be Han Solo, smuggling poo poo against the evil UK empire.
"This rust bucket did the Calais run in 12 hours"

Oh come on, it would be 12 miles, everyone knows a parsec is a unit of distance.

RobattoJesus
Aug 13, 2002

Civilized Fishbot posted:

Never bet on a goon knowing people

Especially women

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

twoday posted:

reminder that in event of no deal the government plan to drop basically all tariffs to 0 to make sure things get into the country. Canada took one look at this and said why should we negotiate a trade deal

Dravs
Mar 8, 2011

You've done well, kiddo.

twoday posted:

Still not thinking big enough. With trucks getting waved through, and the NHS being sold off piecemeal, there will be an actual market for things such as body parts, organs, blood. They would get around the short shelf life of these things by transporting them in living bodies. You just know some old rich gently caress would relish the idea of keeping a celler full of spare organs and blood and all he has to do is throw down a few bread rolls and buckets of water every few days. Also, migrants being sold into sexual slavery would likely become pretty common. Being able to get whatever you want into a country without any check and balances would get extremely hosed up very quickly.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

don't worry though there is that UK goon who is insistent that everything will be fine with the tories in charge of no deal brexit

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

Jel Shaker posted:

literally ran on a mandate to not raise tuition fees

Haha no.

A mandate to abolish tuition fees

Clyde Radcliffe
Oct 19, 2014

RandomPauI posted:

This got me to thinking about other songs from the Troubles. I don't think the United States is heading for an insurrection like that, but the flood of weapons here and the militarized police forces give me that vibe. As if things have been simmering for a long time and soon everything will boil over. It's a pretty horrifying thought.

We've all been spoiled by living in a short frame of history where peaceful democratic politics have been the norm. The civil war in NI was a reminder that when democracy fails a society can quickly collapse.

The Northern Ireland civil war began almost overnight because a large part of the population were disenfranchised and felt they had no other option but violent resistance. Nobody in power saw it coming, because civilized democracies aren't supposed to collapse like that.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

Dravs posted:

Still not thinking big enough. With trucks getting waved through, and the NHS being sold off piecemeal, there will be an actual market for things such as body parts, organs, blood. They would get around the short shelf life of these things by transporting them in living bodies. You just know some old rich gently caress would relish the idea of keeping a celler full of spare organs and blood and all he has to do is throw down a few bread rolls and buckets of water every few days. Also, migrants being sold into sexual slavery would likely become pretty common. Being able to get whatever you want into a country without any check and balances would get extremely hosed up very quickly.

twoday
May 4, 2005

C-SPAM Times best-selling author
https://twitter.com/EmojiMashupFace/status/1173381365481558016?s=20

crazy eyes mustafa
Nov 30, 2014

is this brexit? this is brexit

Avirosb
Nov 21, 2016

Everyone makes pisstakes
Did I hear you right, did I hear you sayin'
That you wanna leave the European Union without payin'?

Don't copy that floppy!

it dont matter
Aug 29, 2008

https://twitter.com/IamHappyToast/status/1173344940044226561

Obliterati
Nov 13, 2012

Pain is inevitable.
Suffering is optional.
Thunderdome is forever.

When Lords think you're too enamoured of the establishment

Kit Walker
Jul 10, 2010
"The Man Who Cannot Deadlift"

happyhippy posted:

Sure, I have had some good times on LSD, and sure its safer than alcohol.
But then again I don't want scared as poo poo people trying to break into my house trying to escape the invisible spider people every friday night.

Historically, legalizing or decriminalizing drugs leads to a decrease in their use in the long run. So you’ll have less of that than you do currently, which I’m guessing is already zero

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

happyhippy posted:

True, but rather have a slower angry man against me than a normal angry man but who thinks that the worms coming out of my face are telling him bad things and that he needs to remove them.

... It kinda sounds like you haven't done lsd at all dude

Very sad considering your username