Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What type of plants are you interested in growing?
This poll is closed.
Perennials! 142 20.91%
Annuals! 30 4.42%
Woody plants! 62 9.13%
Succulent plants! 171 25.18%
Tropical plants! 60 8.84%
Non-vascular plants are the best! 31 4.57%
Screw you, I'd rather eat them! 183 26.95%
Total: 679 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Jestery
Aug 2, 2016

Not a Dickman, just a shape
Garden update

Using some cuttings that struck that I had forgotten about I have got it looking well.

The stakes are high but if I use short ones it's a hazard underfoot

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TofuDiva
Aug 22, 2010

Playin' Possum

Muldoon

Jestery posted:

Garden update

Using some cuttings that struck that I had forgotten about I have got it looking well.

I love the idea of turning a small space into an herb garden! What are the cuttings that you've got there?

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

IF IM NOT BITCHING ABOUT HOW SHITTY MY LIFE IS, REPORT ME FOR MY ACCOUNT HAS BEEN HIJACKED

Jestery posted:

Garden update

The stakes may seem weird and high now but I regularly run into the problem of my plants outgrowing the stakes and then I have to replace them so its the better play (also for the obvious safety reasons)

Oil of Paris
Feb 13, 2004

100% DIRTY

Nap Ghost

Organza Quiz posted:

I just bought a bunch of native plants at the local annual big native plant sale and planted them this evening! Please wish them luck! The volunteer I spoke to said they were good for my area and shade tolerant but I have never been good at keeping plants alive so they may need it.

What did you get? I just picked up a bunch of nice native stuff earlier this month but am holding off planting for another week bc it’s so goddamn hot out still

Acquired: bigleaf magnolia, Ashe magnolia, bald cypress, witchhazel, painted buckeye, red bee balm, and two other weird little perennials that I can’t remember right now

Jestery
Aug 2, 2016

Not a Dickman, just a shape

TofuDiva posted:

I love the idea of turning a small space into an herb garden! What are the cuttings that you've got there?

Some type of woody basil, rosemary that had become rootbound , Asian basil and a chili plant

I'm hoping it all takes but I've got my doubts about the soil quality.

This is directly under my clothes line , so I want to be careful I don't impale my partner's foot

Organza Quiz
Nov 7, 2009

Oil of Paris posted:

What did you get? I just picked up a bunch of nice native stuff earlier this month but am holding off planting for another week bc it’s so goddamn hot out still

Acquired: bigleaf magnolia, Ashe magnolia, bald cypress, witchhazel, painted buckeye, red bee balm, and two other weird little perennials that I can’t remember right now

Most of them don't have common names! I got them from our local botanical garden's annual native plant sale and they often focus on lesser-grown plants that are local to the surrounding area, sometimes endangered plants. The ones I got were adenanthos labillardierei (which the wikipedia article is unnecessarily snide about cultivating), hypocalymma strictum, many spike orthrosanthus (orthrosanthus polystachyus), gompholobium preissii, and the label stick thing fell off the fifth one so I don't know what its name is but I hope it lives anyway.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through
This year the hibiscus have evolved into six-foot spheres. It's kind of absurd. But the neighbourhood has been getting a kick out of them and with all the comments, I think I want to be ridiculous and plant a giant line of them. One dramatic month of flowers. It's too bad I didn't bother snapping a pic at max bloomage.

The naranjilla has also been getting some comments, mostly because it looks like something from Jurassic Park. Also, I lucked out with the wild type and it's covered in thorns.

The leaves are fairly enormous, and so are the flowers. Like giant white tomato blossoms, which isn't a surprise, considering it's Solanum sp. :

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Over the last month or so my potted mint plant has slowly lost all its leaves. It's currently just a bunch of green stalks with dead leaves hanging off them. It did the same thing last year, died all the way back to the ground by the end of summer, then sprang back up again this spring. I water it a few times a week. It's been in the 90s with low humidity for most of the summer. Any ideas?

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002
Is it outside? Where do you live? Is it already fall there?

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Pham Nuwen posted:

. I water it a few times a week. It's been in the 90s with low humidity for most of the summer. Any ideas?

It’s very humid where I am and I have to do daily watering when it gets that warm, just sayin’. Mint can go dormant, but usually not til it gets colder.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

kid sinister posted:

Is it outside? Where do you live? Is it already fall there?

It's outside, I live in New Mexico, and it's only dropped below 90 degree daily highs a couple days ago so I'd say things are still pretty summery.

mediaphage posted:

It’s very humid where I am and I have to do daily watering when it gets that warm, just sayin’. Mint can go dormant, but usually not til it gets colder.

Hmm, maybe it does need more water. I've got a potted elm and a couple ficuses sitting next to it and they've all done fine with watering a few times a week, so I figured the mint would be ok?

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Well, obviously I can't know what's going out without being there. What kind of pot is the plant in, what kind of soil, and how big is it? A bigger pot often requires less watering because it has a lower surface area to volume ratio, but not always. Do you stick a finger in the pot every day? How does the soil feel? When was the last time you potted the mint, and could it be root bound?

Not trying to be interrogative so much as figure out what might be going on to help you be all the mint you can be.

abelwingnut
Dec 23, 2002

let me preface this by saying i know very little about maintaining or renovating gardens or yards. as a kid, back when i lived in a rural setting, i cut grass, raked, did basic stuff like that. but i was never tasked to plant or prune or do anything of that sort.

so i moved into a new place about 2mo ago. i've spent the better part of that working on the interior and getting new furniture and all that. but now, i've got a backyard to deal with, and it's sizeable.

this past weekend i cut the grass for the first time. it was about knee high, and actually broke the lawnmover. i ended up having to use hedge clippers to clear the entire thing out. that was a real pain.

but what that has left me is what looks to be dead grass. i'm guessing that's because the lower parts of the grass just never got light given how tall the grass was. my instinct is to give what's there a week or two to acclimate to better, livable conditions. is this fair?

secondly, and most importantly, what the gently caress do i do with this? i have some cash that i can throw at it, and i would genuinely like to make this a great place to be. i enjoyed the work i did this past weekend, and am more than happy to put a lot of effort into this. but does that make sense with what i have to work with? furthermore, with winter coming, how much can i effectively do in the little time i have? for reference, i live in brooklyn, so it gets pretty cold and true wintery around here.

so yea, looking for any and all advice. consider me a complete newcomer to all this beyond being able to do manual labor. i have no ideas or vision about this, simply because i don't even know what's possible. it's clear there are areas for gardening around the main yard. the back there, where the grill is, has a bunch of stone tile things on the ground--somewhat like a patio situation.

thanks for any input. sorry if this is the wrong thread. if it is, tell me where to post and i'll do so.

Nosre
Apr 16, 2002

Someone else will have to chip in on lawn care, but a few notes that come to mind immediately:

-sweet space, I'd love to be in your position and have that canvas to work with
-you say you have no idea, but I imagine you've got at least some potential things you'd like. Big picture stuff, like: traditional lawn with shrubs along the edges? Screw the lawn, small veg garden in the middle? That sort of thing
-If you want suggestions on specific plants, figure out how much sunlight it all gets throughout the day. The fence on the left in particular is tall, so I imagine stuff planted up against it will get less than 50% of the day's sun

abelwingnut
Dec 23, 2002

Nosre posted:

-sweet space, I'd love to be in your position and have that canvas to work with
-you say you have no idea, but I imagine you've got at least some potential things you'd like. Big picture stuff, like: traditional lawn with shrubs along the edges? Screw the lawn, small veg garden in the middle? That sort of thing
-If you want suggestions on specific plants, figure out how much sunlight it all gets throughout the day. The fence on the left in particular is tall, so I imagine stuff planted up against it will get less than 50% of the day's sun

- i think i'd like to have gardens on the sides and a lawn, open area in the middle. i have a hammock, and that'd be cool to put somewhere. would also like a picnic table of some sort. thinking of just somewhere nice for people to hang out. i won't be growing food. think more artistic than productive.

- lengthwise, the yard runs sse to nnw. those photos are taken from the northern side. so most everything far from the camera will have less sunlight given the tree there. the only issue preventing the eastern and western sides from receiving the same amount of light are the different heights of the fences.

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost
What climate are you in, and what sorts of things do you like?

Also, you might consider and arbor/pergola/trellis for some height and to make better use of the space. You could incorporate that into your stairs/deck(?) as well to really maximize your space. Or taller plants like sunflowers if you can get enough sun to start them out. I'm going to sounds like a broken record here, but japanese maples are going to go well here if you stick to the shadier, dwarf varieties. Lots of color there.

vonnegutt
Aug 7, 2006
Hobocamp.

abelwingnut posted:

secondly, and most importantly, what the gently caress do i do with this? i have some cash that i can throw at it, and i would genuinely like to make this a great place to be. i enjoyed the work i did this past weekend, and am more than happy to put a lot of effort into this. but does that make sense with what i have to work with? furthermore, with winter coming, how much can i effectively do in the little time i have? for reference, i live in brooklyn, so it gets pretty cold and true wintery around here.

I would spend this fall / winter planning. Go to the public library and get some gardening books and just flip through them. If you see something you like, take notes. Pick up some graph paper and do a rough top-down outline of your yard and sketch in where you want to put the picnic table and hammock, and leave room around them for moving around. Then you can draw in some flower beds around the edges. You can also go lay out a hose or something in your yard to get an idea of how they would look in real life.

Once you're happy with the shape of your beds, remove the grass. Most people remove the grass and sod from flower beds using a rototiller or a shovel, but there's a lot of methods to kill grass. I lay cardboard down and weight it down with rocks. Once the grass is dead, I pull up the cardboard and add a few bags of compost from Home Depot on the bare dirt.

Choosing your plants is where you can really get creative and decide on what shapes, colors, and textures you like. Alternatively, you could just decide that you want something attractive and low maintenance. For that I recommend looking around at local municipal and corporate landscaping - city gardeners are paid to know what looks good and doesn't require a lot of work. Walking around your neighborhood is also a good idea: plants that grow well in your neighborhood are most likely to grow well in your yard. If you have a gardener friend, you can ask them what stuff is, or I've heard there are various apps that will tell you the names of plants from photos.

This time of year is pretty good for putting in shrubs and some perennials. Ultimately most of your gardening is going to be in the late spring / early summer. That's when your local garden center will have the best variety of plants for your region. Gardening is something I recommend doing mostly locally: if you don't know very much about your region, you could waste a lot of money buying unsuitable plants online. Local garden stores also have good staff who can answer a lot of questions.

Also, check out Big Dreams, Small Spaces on Netflix for a British reality show about doing exactly what you're trying to do. It's actually super informative.

LoreOfSerpents
Dec 29, 2001

No.

abelwingnut posted:

let me preface this by saying i know very little about maintaining or renovating gardens or yards. as a kid, back when i lived in a rural setting, i cut grass, raked, did basic stuff like that. but i was never tasked to plant or prune or do anything of that sort.

so i moved into a new place about 2mo ago. i've spent the better part of that working on the interior and getting new furniture and all that. but now, i've got a backyard to deal with, and it's sizeable.

this past weekend i cut the grass for the first time. it was about knee high, and actually broke the lawnmover. i ended up having to use hedge clippers to clear the entire thing out. that was a real pain.

but what that has left me is what looks to be dead grass. i'm guessing that's because the lower parts of the grass just never got light given how tall the grass was. my instinct is to give what's there a week or two to acclimate to better, livable conditions. is this fair?

so yea, looking for any and all advice. consider me a complete newcomer to all this beyond being able to do manual labor. i have no ideas or vision about this, simply because i don't even know what's possible. it's clear there are areas for gardening around the main yard. the back there, where the grill is, has a bunch of stone tile things on the ground--somewhat like a patio situation.

thanks for any input. sorry if this is the wrong thread. if it is, tell me where to post and i'll do so.
Oh man, your yard is amazing. A few general notes, since other people are covering the specifics really well already:

- Before you do anything that involves digging in the dirt, call your local equivalent of a "call before you dig" hotline so the utility companies come out and mark where they think their stuff is.
- Do this project in increments. Don't try to make a lovely yard happen all at once. Just try to make it better than it is right now, and keep iterating on that every year you live there. You can always move a garden next year, or replace a plant that isn't working out the way you'd hoped. So pick 1 to 3 things you want to try, try those, and if they don't work, you haven't sunk a lot into the experiment, so you can change it.
- When a plant says it's suitable for "full sun," it means it wants 6+ hours of direct sun per day. If you have parts of the yard that get 4-6 hours of direct sun, that's suitable for "part sun" plants. Anything less than 4 hours of direct sun, you're basically looking at shade plants.
- Fall is a great time of year to put in trees/shrubs or new grass sod. For other plants, you'll find a better selection in spring.
- This is also the best time of year to prep your garden areas for next spring: follow vonnegutt's suggestion. You should be able to leave cardboard like that over winter and basically have beds ready for spring.

Also:
- Consider sticking with native plants for your area. They usually require less maintenance, and there's nothing more amazing than a yard that looks great but doesn't need much upkeep.
- Consider getting a hammock that doesn't have spreader bars! Brazilian-style hammocks are wonderful and way more comfortable in my opinion. More info geeking out about hammocks here.
- Your grass might not recover. It's hard to tell from the pictures, but there are lots of very brown patches that suggest the grass there is just dead, either crowded out by the tall grass or too stressed by the aggressive trim. If you don't see recovery in the next few weeks, I'd call it a loss and plan to put down sod right away (or grass seed if you still have about 1-2 months before your first frost, but if you do seed, make sure you take precautions to protect it from birds, which are getting really obnoxious about seeds right now). Choose a lawn grass mix that's suitable for your climate/sun exposure (avoid tall prairie grasses), or give up and plant clover (which might complicate things for a picnic area since it'll attract more bees, but it smells amazing and it's great if you don't want to mow).
- When mowing, set your mower to its highest setting (usually 3"). Don't mow grass lower than 3". You'll just invite weeds.

Edit: Should also mention, if any of the fences are yours, if you plan to make any changes to the fences or the shed (like moving the shed or putting in a foundation for it), you want to do that before you start putting in nice gardens nearby.

LoreOfSerpents fucked around with this message at 23:19 on Sep 18, 2019

abelwingnut
Dec 23, 2002

Solkanar512 posted:

What climate are you in, and what sorts of things do you like?

Also, you might consider and arbor/pergola/trellis for some height and to make better use of the space. You could incorporate that into your stairs/deck(?) as well to really maximize your space. Or taller plants like sunflowers if you can get enough sun to start them out. I'm going to sounds like a broken record here, but japanese maples are going to go well here if you stick to the shadier, dwarf varieties. Lots of color there.

i live in brooklyn, so my summers are super hot and super humid and like 3mo long, whereas my winters are about 6mo long and pretty cold. snow hasn't been much of an issue the last two winters, but who the gently caress knows. the weather is noticeably and increasingly more unpredictable here. i think it hit 80 a few days in february, and then like 20 in april or something.

spring and fall are fairly short.

i will look into those things you mentioned as i have no idea what they are! thanks! i do love sunflowers and they will certainly be a part of the area. not sure what a japanese maple is, but will check that out too.

vonnegutt posted:

I would spend this fall / winter planning. Go to the public library and get some gardening books and just flip through them. If you see something you like, take notes. Pick up some graph paper and do a rough top-down outline of your yard and sketch in where you want to put the picnic table and hammock, and leave room around them for moving around. Then you can draw in some flower beds around the edges. You can also go lay out a hose or something in your yard to get an idea of how they would look in real life.

Once you're happy with the shape of your beds, remove the grass. Most people remove the grass and sod from flower beds using a rototiller or a shovel, but there's a lot of methods to kill grass. I lay cardboard down and weight it down with rocks. Once the grass is dead, I pull up the cardboard and add a few bags of compost from Home Depot on the bare dirt.

Choosing your plants is where you can really get creative and decide on what shapes, colors, and textures you like. Alternatively, you could just decide that you want something attractive and low maintenance. For that I recommend looking around at local municipal and corporate landscaping - city gardeners are paid to know what looks good and doesn't require a lot of work. Walking around your neighborhood is also a good idea: plants that grow well in your neighborhood are most likely to grow well in your yard. If you have a gardener friend, you can ask them what stuff is, or I've heard there are various apps that will tell you the names of plants from photos.

This time of year is pretty good for putting in shrubs and some perennials. Ultimately most of your gardening is going to be in the late spring / early summer. That's when your local garden center will have the best variety of plants for your region. Gardening is something I recommend doing mostly locally: if you don't know very much about your region, you could waste a lot of money buying unsuitable plants online. Local garden stores also have good staff who can answer a lot of questions.

Also, check out Big Dreams, Small Spaces on Netflix for a British reality show about doing exactly what you're trying to do. It's actually super informative.

any books you recommend?

and yea, i've been eyeing a few places in the neighborhood for ideas. i don't know what the plants are, but i'll try to take more mental notes and figure them out.

so a basic question i have here is: would i be planting shrubs as a permanent thing along with the perennials, or would i keep the shrubs there until spring when i put in other things? i guess what i'm asking is how much turnover am i looking at between fall/winter and spring/summer?

LoreOfSerpents posted:

Oh man, your yard is amazing. A few general notes, since other people are covering the specifics really well already:

- Before you do anything that involves digging in the dirt, call your local equivalent of a "call before you dig" hotline so the utility companies come out and mark where they think their stuff is.
- Do this project in increments. Don't try to make a lovely yard happen all at once. Just try to make it better than it is right now, and keep iterating on that every year you live there. You can always move a garden next year, or replace a plant that isn't working out the way you'd hoped. So pick 1 to 3 things you want to try, try those, and if they don't work, you haven't sunk a lot into the experiment, so you can change it.
- When a plant says it's suitable for "full sun," it means it wants 6+ hours of direct sun per day. If you have parts of the yard that get 4-6 hours of direct sun, that's suitable for "part sun" plants. Anything less than 4 hours of direct sun, you're basically looking at shade plants.
- Fall is a great time of year to put in trees/shrubs or new grass sod. For other plants, you'll find a better selection in spring.
- This is also the best time of year to prep your garden areas for next spring: follow vonnegutt's suggestion. You should be able to leave cardboard like that over winter and basically have beds ready for spring.

Also:
- Consider sticking with native plants for your area. They usually require less maintenance, and there's nothing more amazing than a yard that looks great but doesn't need much upkeep.
- Consider getting a hammock that doesn't have spreader bars! Brazilian-style hammocks are wonderful and way more comfortable in my opinion. More info geeking out about hammocks here.
- Your grass might not recover. It's hard to tell from the pictures, but there are lots of very brown patches that suggest the grass there is just dead, either crowded out by the tall grass or too stressed by the aggressive trim. If you don't see recovery in the next few weeks, I'd call it a loss and plan to put down sod right away (or grass seed if you still have about 1-2 months before your first frost, but if you do seed, make sure you take precautions to protect it from birds, which are getting really obnoxious about seeds right now). Choose a lawn grass mix that's suitable for your climate/sun exposure (avoid tall prairie grasses), or give up and plant clover (which might complicate things for a picnic area since it'll attract more bees, but it smells amazing and it's great if you don't want to mow).
- When mowing, set your mower to its highest setting (usually 3"). Don't mow grass lower than 3". You'll just invite weeds.

Edit: Should also mention, if any of the fences are yours, if you plan to make any changes to the fences or the shed (like moving the shed or putting in a foundation for it), you want to do that before you start putting in nice gardens nearby.

i doubt i live here more than 3yr to be honest. i will probably move out of the city in that span, but if not i am absolutely staying here. in any case, this stuff is fun so i definitely want to get into it. not sure what i want to get into just yet. like i said, i love sunflowers, but i doubt this is the right time for them. i'll just have to research. i think my first priority is fixing the yard part so that it doesn't look like a junkyard sans junk.

so yea, i need to figure out the viability of the soil and grass i have. i'll probably hold off until mid october and see what happens. i did cut the grass once and then it grew into the knee-high mess it was over like 7 weeks. it grows loving FAST. but yea, i'm not sure if i killed it this weekend or what.

i guess i'll sit and wait until i know the answer about the yard. in the meantime, i'll daydream and walk around and figure out what might work.

thanks for the help, all.

e: not sure if this matters at all, but i was thinking about getting a dog too. not sure if that would affect any decisions here, but throwing that out there.

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost
Ok, forget the maples because they grow slowly. But sunflowers are really going to pop and you get a massive bang for your buck. I would look for varieties like Autumn Beauty, Velvet Queen or Evening Sun if you're wanting something to look at. You get multiple flowers per stalk, and each stalk will be a different color ranging from deep reds to orange to the familiar yellow as well as variegated combinations. You can leave the flower heads on to save for the birds in the winter (literally hang the dried seed heads outside) or you can deadhead the stalks for more flower production. The height will make it easy for you to enjoy them from the second story of your home as well.

Also, I can't express how much fun it is to watch these things grow so tall so quickly, it's like a cheat code for gardening. They also attract a ton of honey bees, so you're doing a good thing as well!

Solkanar512 fucked around with this message at 15:28 on Sep 19, 2019

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

IF IM NOT BITCHING ABOUT HOW SHITTY MY LIFE IS, REPORT ME FOR MY ACCOUNT HAS BEEN HIJACKED
Fer the last time, get outta my garden! I kid, yours like better than mine and the blue sky sure doesn't hurt. I got mine in late this year, they were rescues from a different part of my yard... next year though I'm going to do a ton. I love your more orange ones

My peach tree wasn't poppin this year so my partner told me to train our winged gourds over so "at least something grows in it" :argh:

This plant is amazing, the tree is ~30' away and there are about as many gourds on the vine. When I bought it I thought it was edible which is a bummer but I only watered it 4-5 times this summer and it went nuts. Supposedly it can grow 20-30k of gourds per acre. I'm going gourd crazy, I'm not sure I want to grow anything else. I want to try and train it next year up and around the big ugly cottonwoods in my yard like some weird alien planet

semi relevant topic: 100 winged gourds 4 sale

Harry Potter on Ice fucked around with this message at 15:47 on Sep 19, 2019

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

Brooklyn as in a couple of miles from Manhattan? I wasn't even aware that there was anywhere with a back garden like that in New York.

abelwingnut
Dec 23, 2002

Solkanar512 posted:

Ok, forget the maples because they grow slowly. But sunflowers are really going to pop and you get a massive bang for your buck. I would look for varieties like Autumn Beauty, Velvet Queen or Evening Sun if you're wanting something to look at. You get multiple flowers per stalk, and each stalk will be a different color ranging from deep reds to orange to the familiar yellow as well as variegated combinations. You can leave the flower heads on to save for the birds in the winter (literally hang the dried seed heads outside) or you can deadhead the stalks for more flower production. The height will make it easy for you to enjoy them from the second story of your home as well.

Also, I can't express how much fun it is to watch these things grow so tall so quickly, it's like a cheat code for gardening. They also attract a ton of honey bees, so you're doing a good thing as well!

thanks. i'm not sure i understand what you wrote. are you saying the evening sun variety can produce the multiple, multicolor flowers per stalk, or a combination of all those things?

and is it ok to plant these now or in the coming weeks? it gets cold here in a little over a month.

Senor Tron posted:

Brooklyn as in a couple of miles from Manhattan? I wasn't even aware that there was anywhere with a back garden like that in New York.

and yes. i would say most places in brooklyn have areas in the back. some places have turned that into a lane or alley or whatever, others a yard, others who knows what else. where i am, almost all yards.

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

abelwingnut posted:

thanks. i'm not sure i understand what you wrote. are you saying the evening sun variety can produce the multiple, multicolor flowers per stalk, or a combination of all those things?

and is it ok to plant these now or in the coming weeks? it gets cold here in a little over a month.

and yes. i would say most places in brooklyn have areas in the back. some places have turned that into a lane or alley or whatever, others a yard, others who knows what else. where i am, almost all yards.

Ok, let me clarify. The three cultivars I listed, all have multiple flowers per stalk. The color remains the same on a given stalk, but will differ from stalk to stalk. Some of those colors will be solid, others have a ring or ombre effect. If you look through my past posts, I even have one that's half and half. You can find these seeds online really cheap ($3.25/packet) or I got mine at the grocery store on a whim and just pick whatever you can easily find in your area.

You aren't going to be planting any of these flowers outside until the last frost is gone, so I'm guessing around March/April. You could start them inside if you felt like going the extra mile but if you're just starting out or that sounds like too much work don't bother.

The only thing you could really plant now are trees and spring bulbs.

vonnegutt
Aug 7, 2006
Hobocamp.

abelwingnut posted:

any books you recommend?

and yea, i've been eyeing a few places in the neighborhood for ideas. i don't know what the plants are, but i'll try to take more mental notes and figure them out.

so a basic question i have here is: would i be planting shrubs as a permanent thing along with the perennials, or would i keep the shrubs there until spring when i put in other things? i guess what i'm asking is how much turnover am i looking at between fall/winter and spring/summer?

The shrubs would be permanent. Perennials too (although sometimes they have shorter lifespans, like ~5 years). Almost all gardening is a multi-year endeavor. It's a lot cheaper to buy plants small and let them grow instead of buying them full size. I grew some native perennials from seed this year that will take up to 3 years to start flowering. A friend once told me she's been amending her soil for 10 years and it's only now where she wants it.

I don't want to discourage you from doing it but just give you a frame of reference for timespans involved. Gardening as a hobby doesn't have a ton of active time - it's more about assessing your current situation and figuring out how you can evolve it into something. This fall/winter, think about what you would like to have in terms of yard next summer.

as for books, I really enjoyed Hellstrip Gardening, which is about maximizing tiny plots of land. It's mainly west coast plants though so I had to change the plant choices for my zone and region.

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

Harry Potter on Ice posted:

Fer the last time, get outta my garden! I kid, yours like better than mine and the blue sky sure doesn't hurt. I got mine in late this year, they were rescues from a different part of my yard... next year though I'm going to do a ton. I love your more orange ones

My peach tree wasn't poppin this year so my partner told me to train our winged gourds over so "at least something grows in it" :argh:

This plant is amazing, the tree is ~30' away and there are about as many gourds on the vine. When I bought it I thought it was edible which is a bummer but I only watered it 4-5 times this summer and it went nuts. Supposedly it can grow 20-30k of gourds per acre. I'm going gourd crazy, I'm not sure I want to grow anything else. I want to try and train it next year up and around the big ugly cottonwoods in my yard like some weird alien planet

semi relevant topic: 100 winged gourds 4 sale

I'm starting my sunflowers in a hot bed next year, I'm hoping that if I keep deadheading them I'll get summer and fall color out of them.

I was looking at the Squash Tunnel at Gardener's supply and then I found these this morning and holy poo poo I can't wait until next fall.

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

Senor Tron posted:

Brooklyn is huge and covers a ton of different neighborhoods and building types. There are parts that are as dense as Manhattan where you wouldn't have a yard, and there are places that are pretty much the suburbs. I'd probably do poo poo in my backyard if I didn't have to walk down 4 flights of stairs to do it, but settled for a roof garden. Had posted it at the beginning of the season and have tinkered with it throughout the summer, current setup:

The deck was not built well and I had to consolidate in that corner because the other side of it is just crumbling before my eyes after a year. Every day another panel is loose/out - you can see the gaps on the right between the panels that plague that entire half of it.

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

abelwingnut posted:

For books, Michael Pollan's "Second Nature" is very good. He's writing about NY/CT and its sort of about his journey as a gardener. Not as much practical advice, but some good thoughts on design and just sort of the idea of gardening. It always gets me inspired.

Process/designwise, I would start on the edges, and use them to define the shape of the grass. A little bit of well maintained grass looks better and helps set off the beds around/in it. I'd do something like a U shape of beds around the sides. You have a long skinny space, and that makes a nice long visual axis-the center of the far end of your yard is going to be the focal point from the house, so it might be a good place to put something interesting-A really nice japanese maple, a sculpture, a fountain, a bench, whatever. Something that makes you want to go out there is good. Around the edges (and especially behind that focal point) I'd try and fill in with a nice evergreen hedge/shrub or vine to turn all those fences a nice even dark green. That will really highlight any flowers you might put in the beds between the hedge and the grass. Maybe an arbor of old fashioned climbing roses between the patio and the grass lawn to help define the space-we go under here and now we are in the garden, not on the patio- and it can help frame the view, emphasizing that long axis and focal point at the other end.

Annuals are fine, but perennials are really the best. You are in a place where you can grow peonies and I'm jealous, but i think they do take a few years to get going. Most daylillies are bulletproof and there are a million varieties and good perennial summer color. Pretty much anything that grows from a bulb/tuber is usually pretty hardy and will come back year after year and be hard to kill. I'm not familiar with your climate exactly, but there are a zillion kinds of alliums that make giant cool ball shaped flowers year after year. Irises do well here and they have nice foliage even when they aren't flowering. If agapanthus are hardy where you are, they are super awesome and reliable.

Get the catalog for White Flower Farm and let your imagination start going crazy. Go to whatever botanical gardens are near you and see what's blooming when and what you like. Most everything will be labelled so it's easy to find out what things are, and the staff are usually very helpful, knowledgeable plant nerds who would love to tell you all about them.

I'd start planning and laying out and working up your beds this fall/winter if you can, and then they'll be ready for planting come spring. You don't need to build raised beds or anything (and I wouldn't if you want a nice garden to look at), just lay out where you want beds, kill the grass, maybe turn the soil over with a spade or fork and add some compost or other amendments to lighten/uncompact the soil. Mulch over it and let it chill out all winter. If you really get up some gumption, a brick border or something between grass and bed looks nice and makes mowing a little easier.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

What are gourds used for if not edible? Just ornamental?

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

cakesmith handyman posted:

What are gourds used for if not edible? Just ornamental?

Some people make birdhouses out of them depending on the species, but yea it seems just ornamental. If you or anyone else has ideas for them I'm definitely interested

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

In terms of what you should plant: spend a few days getting an idea of where the sun is throughout the day. This will help determine the sorts of things that can thrive.

Do you want something that gives you an excuse to putter? Would you prefer flowers? Food? Fruit? Vegetables? Herbs? Etc. Lots of options.

Harry Potter on Ice posted:

Some people make birdhouses out of them depending on the species, but yea it seems just ornamental. If you or anyone else has ideas for them I'm definitely interested

I bet you could figure out a way to make them interesting storage containers.

Nosre
Apr 16, 2002

Was at the soon-to-be-parents-in-law's and their stores had some good variety, so new additions! :3:

Middle in the bottom pic (lithops-ish thing) wasn't labeled but I think it's a Pleiospilos?

Nosre
Apr 16, 2002

I just recently lost my first ever Lithops in part because I never got around to repotting it, so I'm handling this one immediately

From stores they usually come in a peat-y looking heavy soil mix that's terrible. Look at all that organic matter stuck to the roots :mad:

New mix is 25% soil
25% 6-8mm gravel
50% 0-2mm lava rock

mmm11105
Apr 27, 2010
Can anyone ID what might be causing this:

On a spider plant in a terracotta pot near a south facing window. Plant is also looking a little sad and droopy in general. I tried upping the watering frequency but that didn't seem to do anything.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Are all the tips dry? How does the root/base of the plant look?

elgarbo
Mar 26, 2013

Nosre posted:

Middle in the bottom pic (lithops-ish thing) wasn't labeled but I think it's a Pleiospilos?

That is most definitely a Pleiospilos.

EightFlyingCars
Jun 30, 2008

Oh hey, there's a plant thread on these forums. Neat!

I've been messing around with a few houseplants and herbs but I can't tell if I'm doing this one right. I don't even know what it is, but it's starting to get really long stems. They're very leafy though. Should I trim it more aggressively or what?

My landlord brought it to me a little while ago but it was in the dead of winter so almost all of the plant had frozen and wilted except for one tiny little shoot, and the entire rest of the plant grew from that. I'm kind of attached to it, and I really want it to thrive!

Also pictured in the second photo: the Thai basil sprig that I brought home from a pho restaurant and potted. It's doing pretty well, I think!

e: Bigger images

EightFlyingCars fucked around with this message at 22:43 on Sep 22, 2019

mmm11105
Apr 27, 2010

mediaphage posted:

Are all the tips dry? How does the root/base of the plant look?

All the tips look a little brown dry, though that is probably the worst one. Base looks fine, though I'm not entirely sure what I should be looking for there.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

mmm11105 posted:

All the tips look a little brown dry, though that is probably the worst one. Base looks fine, though I'm not entirely sure what I should be looking for there.

Well, several things are possible. Assuming it gets enough light to be healthy, and the roots haven't rotted (can happen when going from too dry to too wet, but it doesn't sound like the issue here), you could have water high in chlorine or chloramines, which can result in tip burn, or it could need a really light application of a general purpose fertilizer (sometimes malnutrition can register as lesions). Does it need repotting?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TofuDiva
Aug 22, 2010

Playin' Possum

Muldoon

EightFlyingCars posted:

Oh hey, there's a plant thread on these forums. Neat!

I've been messing around with a few houseplants and herbs but I can't tell if I'm doing this one right. I don't even know what it is, but it's starting to get really long stems. They're very leafy though. Should I trim it more aggressively or what?

My landlord brought it to me a little while ago but it was in the dead of winter so almost all of the plant had frozen and wilted except for one tiny little shoot, and the entire rest of the plant grew from that. I'm kind of attached to it, and I really want it to thrive!

Also pictured in the second photo: the Thai basil sprig that I brought home from a pho restaurant and potted. It's doing pretty well, I think!

e: Bigger images

Oh hey that's a coleus!* I love them - they're beautiful plants. You've done a great job with that one. They do tend to get a little leggy after a while. People either give them something to climb, or they pinch them back, or cut the tender part of the stems back and root the cuttings (easily) in water. As long as it gets enough light and water, it will probably go on forever. I was in a restaurant once where they had one that had been given a chickenwire form to climb, and it was about 12 feet high and three across.

*I've read that the genus has been reassigned to Plectranthus, but everybody will know what you mean if you call it coleus.

[edit to add that coleus needs light, but does not like direct sun]

TofuDiva fucked around with this message at 03:14 on Sep 23, 2019