Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

lost my old email
Jun 20, 2019

bull3964 posted:

Star Trek is also never, ever, ever allowed to have an ending with the captain (or first officer) and the enemy having a fist fight high above 'something' with a countdown ever again.

Generations
First Contact
Insurrection
Nemesis (not directly, but Riker and Ron Perlman)
Star Trek 09
Star Trek Into Darkness
Star Trek Beyond.

EVERY SINGLE GODDAMN MOVIE IN THE PAST 25 YEARS HAS ENDED WITH A BRAWL ON A CATWALK. Enough!

the sophisticated man of the future does not brawl at ground level like some common plebe :lofty:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

MikeJF posted:

I wonder if the shows have the rights to use the models from the JJ movies now post-merger.

Not yet. The ViacomCBS merger hasn't even gotten regulatory approval yet and isn't expected to close until the end of the year at the soonest.

FlamingLiberal posted:

I will take FC over TMP, TSS, and FF any day

TMP and TFF are both excellent, TSS is poop from a but and Nimoy's a poo poo director.

bull3964 posted:

I think the "1/4 impulse" exchange makes a lot more sense when you remember the Valeris was supposed to be Saavik

Cattrall gives the absolute worst line reading in all of Trek in that scene, emphasizing "only" instead of "thrusters." The way she delivers it makes it seem like thrusters can only be used in Spacedock and nowhere else.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

marktheando posted:

David Warner’s federation ambassador is another highlight of Final Frontier, he’s great.

David Warner is always great. I’m currently writing a script that he might be involved with, and imagining him saying my lines is really driving me on. :kimchi:

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

This moment cracked me up. Sidenote, no issue taking a screenshot from Netflix in Chrome on Windows?

Only registered members can see post attachments!

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

I really can't comprehend how there are people defending FF. That movie is a mess.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

FlamingLiberal posted:

I really can't comprehend how there are people defending FF. That movie is a mess.

Excellent score, excellent direction, excellent acting, excellent cinematography. It's not Shatner's fault that Loughery had a month to write the script after the WGA strike ended, that the Teamsters went on strike literally the day before the movie started shooting and that Bennett and Winter botched the negotiations for the special effects and chose a company that literally didn't have a motion-control rig big enough to handle the Enterprise model.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Yorktown ruled and I'm glad they showed it. I don't think anything in it was unreasonable from the perspective of what they established the federation has, technologically, it's just a question of how to use it and whether it's a good idea. Well, it being a good idea, OK that has problems, but building a sweet-rear end looping space globe instead of just some deliberately lovely and cramped installation, or even an O'neill cylinder: Yeah, they absolutely could do that.

Wasn't it also supposed to be featuring some local technologies or something? Like it was the sector capital or whatever.

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer

FlamingLiberal posted:

Of course it's a mess, but like many episodes of the TOS the sum of it's fucky parts add up.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Messes can be fun. They can have a soul. The same way that something put together with top notch production values and an airtight script can seem dull and paint by numbers.

It's kinda the way I feel about comparing Voyager and Enterprise. They are both crap. Enterprise is better put together crap. Enterprise looks like it was made 4 years later than Voyager rather than 4 months. But dear god is it so loving dull. Voyager at least leans into the camp.

I would much rather watch TNG , DS9, or TOS than either of them. But, between those to, Voyager is more likely to be enjoyable even though Enterprise is prettier to look at.

Zurui
Apr 20, 2005
Even now...

marktheando posted:

David Warner’s federation ambassador is another highlight of Final Frontier, he’s great.

Knowing that Warner read most of his lines for "Chain of Command" off cards is one of my favorite bits of Trek trivia, since he absolutely matches Stewart's level of acting chops.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Timby posted:

Excellent score, excellent direction, excellent acting, excellent cinematography. It's not Shatner's fault that Loughery had a month to write the script after the WGA strike ended, that the Teamsters went on strike literally the day before the movie started shooting and that Bennett and Winter botched the negotiations for the special effects and chose a company that literally didn't have a motion-control rig big enough to handle the Enterprise model.
The plot and script are a huge mess. I know the idea of 'what if Kirk found God' was something that had been going around the studio for a bit before TFF got made, but it was an awful idea and not something Trek should have done.

The only thing I've ever liked from TFF is the Kirk/Bones/Spock stuff. Everything else is awful.

HorseLord
Aug 26, 2014

FlamingLiberal posted:

As much as I don't like Shatner as a person I have to give him a hell of a lot of credit for TFF because only he had the balls to build a full size shuttlebay, land the Galileo in it, then have the main cast stumble out of it with a hangover, no uniform and a bad smell, only to find half the bridge has been taken apart and there's a toolbox blocking the viewscreen. They can't even get in the room on the first try because the doors are stuck. It's pure gonzo.

Basically if you don't like TFF but like Galaxy Quest or the Orville you're a coward

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

FlamingLiberal posted:

The only thing I've ever liked from TFF is the Kirk/Bones/Spock stuff. Everything else is awful.

Good thing 90% of the movie is them confined with each other in some way.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Zurui posted:

Knowing that Warner read most of his lines for "Chain of Command" off cards is one of my favorite bits of Trek trivia, since he absolutely matches Stewart's level of acting chops.

I'm amazed that, 27 years later, it's never come out who the actor who was originally supposed to play Madred was.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

I feel bad for the other cast members who were in TFF, since you had a lot of low points for them as characters. Scotty bumbling his way into knocking himself out on a girder and Uhura doing the fan dance are just a few.

I also never liked the whole concept of Sybok or the weird 'peace planet' stuff from the first part of the movie

piratepilates
Mar 28, 2004

So I will learn to live with it. Because I can live with it. I can live with it.

was sybok ever mentioned before the movie? I know spock doesn't seem to discuss his family much, but I do enjoy that he has a half-brother and a half-sister that weren't mentioned until they suddenly had a movie and a show built around them. how many more super-interesting* family members does spock have lying around?

*sybok is interesting ok!! he has a movie about him

HorseLord
Aug 26, 2014

FlamingLiberal posted:

I feel bad for the other cast members who were in TFF, since you had a lot of low points for them as characters. Scotty bumbling his way into knocking himself out on a girder and Uhura doing the fan dance are just a few.

Nichols wanted to do the fan dance, and got mad they dubbed over her singing.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

piratepilates posted:

was sybok ever mentioned before the movie? I know spock doesn't seem to discuss his family much, but I do enjoy that he has a half-brother and a half-sister that weren't mentioned until they suddenly had a movie and a show built around them. how many more super-interesting* family members does spock have lying around?

*sybok is interesting ok!! he has a movie about him
No, he was never mentioned before

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

He has an adopted sister, not a half sister.

Well he probably has a half sister

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

It really seems like if the peace planet was going to be a thing, they'd need to dedicate a lot more time to establishing why the three empires were making it and why it was just a horrible place that everybody hated. I'm not really sure why Sybok needed to go there or why he couldn't charter a ship and convince them without needing to do a fake hostage plot.

Sybok and "god" were neat I guess, but it's weird to introduce messianic psychic powers and some magical floating head without any explanation of any of them. It's just a whole lot of weird confusing stuff.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

SlothfulCobra posted:

It really seems like if the peace planet was going to be a thing, they'd need to dedicate a lot more time to establishing why the three empires were making it and why it was just a horrible place that everybody hated. I'm not really sure why Sybok needed to go there or why he couldn't charter a ship and convince them without needing to do a fake hostage plot.

Sybok and "god" were neat I guess, but it's weird to introduce messianic psychic powers and some magical floating head without any explanation of any of them. It's just a whole lot of weird confusing stuff.
I will at least say that we know that Vulcans have psychic abilities, so explaining what Sybok can do is not needed

The majority of the story was half-baked and as a follow-up to the three film arc from WoK-TVH it's really a waste

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

HorseLord posted:

Nichols wanted to do the fan dance, and got mad they dubbed over her singing.

PatStew wanted to do the dune buggy and punchmans scenes but that doesn't make them good for either the character, the movie, or the franchise

HorseLord
Aug 26, 2014

The Bloop posted:

PatStew wanted to do the dune buggy and punchmans scenes but that doesn't make them good for either the character, the movie, or the franchise

The most important part of making a film is to have fun doing it

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
Maybe the real Star Trek is the actor self-involvement we made along the way

Humerus
Jul 7, 2009

Rule of acquisition #111:
Treat people in your debt like family...exploit them.

SlothfulCobra posted:

Yeah Star Trek would never have beings with godlike powers without explaining how or why they have those powers

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

Humerus posted:

Yeah Star Trek would never have beings with godlike powers without explaining how or why they have those powers

Post the godliest god like entities you got

Laterite
Mar 14, 2007

It's Gutfest '89
Grimey Drawer

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

One of the things that has really bothered me about watching Voyager, is that it seems like the different writers for each episode didn't bother at all to work together to make sure they were writing consistent characters. One episode, Janeway will be a compassionate, sometimes gulliable captain, and then the next she'll be super paranoid, and it'll jump back and forth for no reason at all. This didn't really happen with the characters in the Next Generation.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

I said come in! posted:

One of the things that has really bothered me about watching Voyager, is that it seems like the different writers for each episode didn't bother at all to work together to make sure they were writing consistent characters. One episode, Janeway will be a compassionate, sometimes gulliable captain, and then the next she'll be super paranoid, and it'll jump back and forth for no reason at all. This didn't really happen with the characters in the Next Generation.

I can’t imagine the Voyager writer’s room actually sitting together and breaking a new script. I assume they all just shut themselves in their own offices and occasionally tossed ten pages of boilerplate dialogue out the door for some intern to collect and assemble into a story.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
Trip report: really loving happy I went to see TMP in the theater. My TV has never been able to do it justice , especially the Spock space walk sequence. Seeing it on a massive cinema screen cemented it as one of my favorite Trek scenes of all time. Only disappointment to me was that it was the original theatrical version and not the director's cut, but I guess that was more fitting given the setting. Hopefully they do the same thing for Wrath of Khan's 40th so I can see that in the cinema as well.

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY
A friend of mine made this for me.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

DrNutt posted:

Trip report: really loving happy I went to see TMP in the theater. My TV has never been able to do it justice , especially the Spock space walk sequence. Seeing it on a massive cinema screen cemented it as one of my favorite Trek scenes of all time. Only disappointment to me was that it was the original theatrical version and not the director's cut, but I guess that was more fitting given the setting. Hopefully they do the same thing for Wrath of Khan's 40th so I can see that in the cinema as well.

You aren't going to see the 4K cut in theaters until Paramount pays Daren Dochterman to re-render the CG assets. (And, pray God, pay him to fix the audio mix of The Director's Edition.) Dochterman owns the CG assets for The Director's Edition and he has said on many times that he is willing to re-render them at HD resolution, even 4K, but he's not doing that poo poo for free. Until then the only HD version we're going to have will be the Theatrical Edition.

Dochterman says that he's happy to re-do the CGI assets at a 4K-ready resolution, but then again, it's up to Paramount; no reason for him to do it for free.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

Kesper North posted:

A friend of mine made this for me.

Storage compartments, storage compartments?!

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Cross-Section posted:

Huh. Still blows my mind that so much of the "ship" as we saw in the show was basically just the same two or three corridors re-purposed over and over again.

piratepilates posted:

very smart to make the long one curved so you can't see the end of it and realize its not that long, and also the exact same one in every shot.

I always thought they should've had colorcoded stripes per section on the wall to add a bit of variety and difference as well. (even though they'd no doubt be endlessly messing it up) So like engineering has a maroon stripe running along it, living quarters are green, etc. Easy for the set builders to swap out.

1000 Brown M and Ms
Oct 22, 2008

F:\DL>quickfli 4-clowns.fli
They did that in Babylon 5 and it worked pretty well IMO

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
I don't remember all the differences, so I may be missing a reason it can't be done, but it'd be nice if they could simply do a TMP re-edit that mostly matches the director's edition in terms of pacing, without even going through the trouble of redoing effects and so forth. I guess it's harder to justify as a big release on its own, but maybe just throw it in as a bonus when they have some other excuse to re-release it. (Like now.)

Humerus
Jul 7, 2009

Rule of acquisition #111:
Treat people in your debt like family...exploit them.

I thought the majority of the difference between the two versions was the special effects. Since the original cut had the effects so rushed.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Someone should be able to deepfake the red uniforms onto the TMP crew. That would improve the movie tenfold.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Humerus posted:

I thought the majority of the difference between the two versions was the special effects. Since the original cut had the effects so rushed.

No, the director's cut is a subtle but comprehensive re-edit. They added like fifteen minutes in but then took seven or eight back out, with lots of micro-cuts of superfluous individual shots or angles just to increase the pacing slightly.