Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
https://twitter.com/joncstone/status/1173584947774459904?s=20

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Junior G-man
Sep 15, 2004

Wrapped in a mystery, inside an enigma

Oh God the Piers Morgan / Swinson interview is so unbelievably painful.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

If the tories have managed to lose the expat vote then they aren't going to have any seats left at all come the next election.

Nothingtoseehere
Nov 11, 2010

thespaceinvader posted:

I checked in for a couple of years, but was largely unimpressed and unclear about what exactly was desired of generic members who suck at doorstepping, especially in non-election years, and found that they weren't really set up to take advantage of the skills i do have.

So now I pay my dues and vote in the party-wide elections, but mostly keep to myself.

The weird thing about doorstepping (and the bit no one explains to you) is that the important thing isn't what questions you ask them or any conversations in people's minds, but just a physical reminder that the labour party exists and is interested in You, random person #5246. Most people are low-information voters who don't think hard about politics - someone just asking politely on your doorstep if you're going to vote for them is a big reminder and positive point in their favour. It's true CLPs often don't care or make use of those who are unable or unwilling to doorstep properly (as those in CLPs full time often have been doing that), but there's also terrible communication about it's purpose.

Nothingtoseehere fucked around with this message at 14:32 on Sep 16, 2019

Bobstar
Feb 8, 2006

KartooshFace, you are not responding efficiently!

*sniff* I'm so proud of my adopted country

Rarity posted:

I heard Jo Swinson saying that she voted Leave in a Harvester

Jeremy Corbyn and Jo Swinson were in the Harvester making leave votes and I saw one of the leave votes and the leave vote looked at me.

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

forkboy84 posted:

Well, prepare yourself for cleaning that mess up because her seat is one of the Nats big priorities. It'll be good.

Sadly HUMILIATION FOR LOSER SWINSON doesn't scan that well

how about : SNIP SINGSONG AS SWINSON SWANSONGS
?

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Junior G-man posted:

Oh God the Piers Morgan / Swinson interview is so unbelievably painful.

It's so good watching her having to actually face scrutiny instead of a coterie of arsekissers though.

Aphex-
Jan 29, 2006

Dinosaur Gum

Rarity posted:

I heard Jo Swinson saying that she voted Leave in a Harvester

Please, she has some class. It was a Frankie and Bennys.

Junior G-man
Sep 15, 2004

Tesseraction posted:

It's so good watching her having to actually face scrutiny instead of a coterie of arsekissers though.

Yeah it's great - I mean, I wish Piers Morgan wasn't the one doing it but that bit's great. Her performance is just hideous though - not quite at Sweaty Swain levels but still.

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

If the tories have managed to lose the expat vote then they aren't going to have any seats left at all come the next election.

I know expat OAPs and all but it really sucks for them? While there were some who voted for Brexit I imagine most probably did not, especially considering how Gibraltar voted (though to be fair there might be other reasons behind that one as well).

e: I rather hate the word 'expat' too. The contemporary meaning appears to be "not a migrant parasite unlike those filthy lot from poor countries". Incidentally I got called an expat in Malaysia (they don't seem to particularly distinguish between eastern and western euros) and a migrant in the UK despite having pretty much the same job in both places.

Private Speech fucked around with this message at 14:29 on Sep 16, 2019

NinpoEspiritoSanto
Oct 22, 2013

The Moron vs Moron interview wasn't as entertaining as I hoped, once it became clear his co-host had no idea how our parliamentary democracy works.

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

Junior G-man posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uD7oWrpKwYA

Swinson's car crash interview with Piers Morgan went up. It's astoundingly bad.

the algorithm (?) that chooses thumbnails has done a fantastic job with this one

Skull Servant
Oct 25, 2009

Flatscan posted:

Same, it was two young lads in my case. Told them to do one.

I've always been taught to invite them in and take up as much of their time as possible. Have them with you for as long as you can, before telling them you will never, ever vote for them and send them off.

The goal is to keep them from reaching other people and selling their bullshit.

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

Nothingtoseehere posted:

The weird thing about doorstepping (and the bit no one explains to you) is that the important thing isn't what questions you ask them or any conversations in people's minds, but just a physical reminder that the labour party exists and is interested in You, random person #5246. Most people are low-information voters who don't think hard about politics - someone just asking politely on your doorstep if you're going to vote for them is a big reminder and positive point in their favour. It's true CLPs often don't care or make use of those who are unable or unwilling to doorstep properly (as those in CLPs full time often have been doing that), but there's also terrible communication abou

This was absolutely never explained to me, and I've been giving myself extra anxiety over the idea of doorstep confrontations as I ineptly try to convert someone to the Jam Emperor

Strange coincidence, a wobbly lib dem "only Brexit matters" friend, who I've been working on for a while now, has just told me Corbyn's union speech got him 100% on board to vote Labour

Collateral
Feb 17, 2010

bump_fn posted:

apparently tories came canvassing while i was out on sunday

bummer that could have been fun

As much as I despise the Tory Party (if my chest were a mortar etc), canvassing is a poo poo job and giving them a load of lip is really bad form.

Perhaps you don't know what they are doing? They will have an electoral roll with them, and what they want to know is how you vote. They know they are not going to change your mind, but if you are hostile to their colour then you go in the vote for opposition column. If you listen to them and say you have to make up your mind you will get further visits from somebody further up the food chain, if you are very receptive and say yes I've been a [their party, they always wear rosette] all my life and I will always do so, you go in the vote secured column.

They use this voting intention data to narrow down their efforts and on election day they have a pretty good idea how people will vote. So on election day, party members sit outside voting places in marginals asking voters for their number (matched against the electoral roll) so they know how the vote is going. If anybody in your column hasn't voted you go and knock on their door and ask if they need any help getting to the ballot (lots of elderly voted for our party so I would give old timers a lift it they wanted it), or guilt trip them (a standard Labour and Tory tactic, "But we think [other party] may just edge it your vote really does count, you wouldn't want [other party] to win.

To really gently caress with Tories, or Liberals if you must, you should tell them you are 100% on their team. They won't bother you for at least a year and you will mess with their numbers.

DiscoWitch
Oct 16, 2009

uwu

bump_fn posted:

apparently tories came canvassing while i was out on sunday

bummer that could have been fun

Lol if I knew they were canvassing around my neck of the woods I'd answer the door in my ushanka with the soviet anthem on blast

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

painted into a coroner posted:

I've always been taught to invite them in

Bad idea unless you like sleeping with a crucifix.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Julio Cruz posted:

the algorithm (?) that chooses thumbnails has done a fantastic job with this one

The algorithm can pick a default one but this is manually added - and doesn't actually happen in the video to my knowledge. Channels are allowed to add a custom thumbnail, hence all those clickbaity thumbnails you see for videos.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

lmao

https://twitter.com/nick_gutteridge/status/1173584178337722370

lmaolmao

https://twitter.com/JamesCrisp6/status/1173588170774065152

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

:discourse:

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Hero of the soviet union.
Accidental destroyer of planets

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

As long as it's daylight, you should be okay - you have most likly just got a goul working for one of the higher up tories in the hopes of being grated the gift of the power stance.

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them

Collateral posted:

As much as I despise the Tory Party (if my chest were a mortar etc), canvassing is a poo poo job and giving them a load of lip is really bad form.

Perhaps you don't know what they are doing? They will have an electoral roll with them, and what they want to know is how you vote. They know they are not going to change your mind, but if you are hostile to their colour then you go in the vote for opposition column. If you listen to them and say you have to make up your mind you will get further visits from somebody further up the food chain, if you are very receptive and say yes I've been a [their party, they always wear rosette] all my life and I will always do so, you go in the vote secured column.

They use this voting intention data to narrow down their efforts and on election day they have a pretty good idea how people will vote. So on election day, party members sit outside voting places in marginals asking voters for their number (matched against the electoral roll) so they know how the vote is going. If anybody in your column hasn't voted you go and knock on their door and ask if they need any help getting to the ballot (lots of elderly voted for our party so I would give old timers a lift it they wanted it), or guilt trip them (a standard Labour and Tory tactic, "But we think [other party] may just edge it your vote really does count, you wouldn't want [other party] to win.

To really gently caress with Tories, or Liberals if you must, you should tell them you are 100% on their team. They won't bother you for at least a year and you will mess with their numbers.

canvassing is absolutely lovely grunt work but also these people are chosing to volunteer for the tories so they can go eat a big bowl of poo poo

when lib dems came by a while ago i just told them this was a labour household (literlaly no one in the house can actually vote in general elections, no actual UK citizens in the house)

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

I keep missing the tory fucker who haunts my area.

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem

Collateral posted:

Hello thread, I have a question for those of you who have joined your LLP and attended meetings and hustings, what is your impression of them?

My local* party has members in charge who are truly repellent bastards for the main part, that are using the zeal of kids to do the donkey work for them.

Full disclosure I am not a Labour party member, but there have been times when it is hard to avoid them. Like taking voter numbers, gah.

*Carlisle.

I stopped going to the Carlisle meetings because poo poo was so tense and factionalist, I can’t stand that poo poo.

kalensc
Sep 10, 2003

Only Trust Your Respirator, kupo!
Art/Quote by: Rubby
Thank you posting that algorithm tweet.

As I can now proudly call myself a member of the "pipe smoker" class.

My significant other ended up with....."face" class??

Junior G-man
Sep 15, 2004

Tesseraction posted:

I keep missing the tory fucker who haunts my area.

Do you have a ring of salt around your door? That would explain it.

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

Junior G-man posted:

Do you have a ring of salt around your door? That would explain it.

or on an island surrounded by running water

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

The trouble with your "expendable machines"
Fun Shoe

Private Speech posted:

e: I rather hate the word 'expat' too. The contemporary meaning appears to be "not a migrant parasite unlike those filthy lot from poor countries". Incidentally I got called an expat in Malaysia (they don't seem to particularly distinguish between eastern and western euros) and a migrant in the UK despite having pretty much the same job in both places.

In Malaysia you'll be labelled an expat if you're some variety of white foreigner who isn't a tourist. Non-white immigrants just get labelled by their (assumed) country of origin.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

A sign saying "no one here is under 12" would also work I guess

Collateral
Feb 17, 2010

CoolCab posted:

I stopped going to the Carlisle meetings because poo poo was so tense and factionalist, I can’t stand that poo poo.

How did you find Chris Southward?

radmonger
Jun 6, 2011

bump_fn posted:

when lib dems came by a while ago i just told them this was a labour household (literlaly no one in the house can actually vote in general elections, no actual UK citizens in the house)

Remember that Commonwealth, Cyprus, Maltese and Irish citizens can vote in national elections, and europeans in local and Europeans ones.

Which is both an obscure trivia point, and also probably the single most significant influence on UK politics since the last Reform act. You can’t create mass numbers of disenfranchised working class people without everything getting a bit 18C.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

Nothingtoseehere posted:

The weird thing about doorstepping (and the bit no one explains to you) is that the important thing isn't what questions you ask them or any conversations in people's minds, but just a physical reminder that the labour party exists and is interested in You, random person #5246. Most people are low-information voters who don't think hard about politics - someone just asking politely on your doorstep if you're going to vote for them is a big reminder and positive point in their favour. It's true CLPs often don't care or make use of those who are unable or unwilling to doorstep properly (as those in CLPs full time often have been doing that), but there's also terrible communication about it's purpose.

I'm aware of this, and am intending to volunteer at the next election, if I'm in a position to do so still. Though, I'd have to get transport to a completely different city to find a marginal that can actually swing from Lib or TOry to Labour, which is the only meaningful way to make a real, genuine difference under FPTP. Campaigning locally to increase the Labour vote from 70% to 75% would be fine and would make me feel better, but it wouldn't change anything, nor woudl campaigning to sway the other local constituency from Con to Lib, or any of the other local constituencies down from 75% to 70% Con. Not to mention, I still think I would be actively bad at it, for a whole host of reasons, and am still perpetually frustrated that there are things I would be actively good at (administrative tasks, digital and creative stuff) that are either gatekept behind certain amounts of campaigning experience, or simply done by a mysterious backroom cabal of people I don't know how to get in touch with. I know there are things I could offer, things I could help with, and I have zero idea how - nor, for that matter, really any patience with the system left to try to find out.

I'm paying my dues (despite having zero income at the moment) and refraining from making active trouble, and I have to trust that those dues are being used to do those things where my time isn't.

It sucks, but it's the only system we have right now.

I do the same thing with Momentum.

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem

Collateral posted:

How did you find Chris Southward?

I knew a couple of Chrises and I’m terrible about names, but if you mean the young Chris who recently ran for some council role that dude is spot on. Lives near me, nice dog too.

Collateral
Feb 17, 2010

CoolCab posted:

I knew a couple of Chrises and I’m terrible about names, but if you mean the young Chris who recently ran for some council role that dude is spot on. Lives near me, nice dog too.

White hair, lives in a gerrymadered island of wigton rd that is classed as Denton Holme, 50's I think.

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem

Collateral posted:

White hair, lives in a gerrymadered island of wigton rd that is classed as Denton Holme, 50's I think.

Phew, no idea. Id probably know him if I saw him but I’d be blind guessing.

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem
Oh wait dude who shows up in a suit, leads the labour choir?

Pesmerga
Aug 1, 2005

So nice to eat you
Hahahahahahahaha

https://twitter.com/breeallegretti/status/1173595424294428673?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw

el dingo
Mar 19, 2009

Ogres are like onions

Private Speech posted:

Oh man this reminds me of a story my mum was telling me: I've been in the UK for idk, 7-8 years. She bumped into an old school friend of mine (I grew up in a village, everyone knows each other) who's now running for mayor. He asked mum how I was getting on:

'dingos fine, been living in London for a long time now'

'Oh really? How's he handling all the immigrants there?'

'He is an immigrant'

dispatch_async
Nov 28, 2014

Imagine having the time to have played through 20 generations of one family in The Sims 2. Imagine making the original two members of that family Neil Buchanan and Cat Deeley. Imagine complaining to Maxis there was no technological progression. You've successfully imagined my life
https://twitter.com/breeallegretti/status/1173600063635021831

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Junior G-man
Sep 15, 2004

Looks like BoJo finally cracked it over lunch then. Everyone's a winner and we can all go home. No need to gloat.