Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

radmonger posted:

As I said, it is a random word generator implemented using a machine learning toolkit; that is what those words mean. There isn’t enough information in the image database to actually do the classification it is tasked to do, so the intelligence or otherwise of the algorithm is irrelevant; the output will be pseudo-random noise.

Weird how it's "randomly" recognising certain features and associating them with "random" words that happen to match problematic associations you see in society

It sure can't classify half the stuff it's trying to, but it's been trained pretty well to describe black people the same way Boris Johnson does

e- cat tax

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pencils R Cool
Feb 16, 2011

Jealous Cow posted:

God drat it. Here’s mine

It's an honour to post in the same thread as you, Mr Yorke. Shame about The King of Limbs but I guess they can't all be winners.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I do enjoy that oftentime when racism comes up I learn a new racist word that I didn't know before.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting
It is nice to be an up to date racist.

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

baka kaba posted:

Weird how it's "randomly" recognising certain features and associating them with "random" words that happen to match problematic associations you see in society

It sure can't classify half the stuff it's trying to, but it's been trained pretty well to describe black people the same way Boris Johnson does

reminder that the last time microsoft spun up an ai based on internet learning, they had to shut it off because it learned to be a chud

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

NotJustANumber99 posted:

So Dave Cameron was on the telly tonight was he? My youtube suggests so. I think its great that hes finally coming out to try and help solve this mess given he retired for reasons I can't remember. And certainly not cravenly using the opportunity to maybe sell a few books or something.

Sweaty top lip.

I'm actually surprised at how unusually annoyed I was to see that he'd dared to show his face in public.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

Ursine Catastrophe posted:

reminder that the last time microsoft spun up an ai based on internet learning, they had to shut it off because it learned to be a chud

Then they got sued my taylors swift.

Chuka Umana
Apr 30, 2019

by sebmojo

Pilchenstein posted:

I thought that was Johnny Mercer?

I stand corrected.

Chuka Umana
Apr 30, 2019

by sebmojo
Basically I’ve been catching up on stuff I missed during my time addicted to drugs, and I’ve just started reading about Grenfell in detail. I knew about the cladding but holy poo poo how is the Kensington & Chelsea council not all in prison?

I’m kinda glad I was on drugs for all of 2017 cuz I don’t know how I would’ve made it sober.

Skull Servant
Oct 25, 2009

Congrats on being sober!

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

I uploaded an image of myself, which I obviously won't be showing to you lot.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

Its definitely starting to get better.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

Dabir posted:

I uploaded an image of myself, which I obviously won't be showing to you lot.

Well it sounds like you could show it just fine because there'd be nothing to see :v:

Also lol hard at the papers tomorrow, the Daily Mail doesn't think anything at all happening, the Express is going how DARE some tiny shithole talk poo poo at us, and everyone is like "Wow Boris just got absolutely learnt lmao"

Kill All Cops
Apr 11, 2007

Pacheco de Chocobo

Hell Gem

NotJustANumber99 posted:

Its definitely starting to get better.

First one with my eyes closed: Winker
2nd one: Myope
3rd one with glasses off: Face

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

Queen 2020.

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008

Chuka Umana posted:

Basically I’ve been catching up on stuff I missed during my time addicted to drugs, and I’ve just started reading about Grenfell in detail. I knew about the cladding but holy poo poo how is the Kensington & Chelsea council not all in prison?

:10bux: :torygov:

Kill All Cops
Apr 11, 2007

Pacheco de Chocobo

Hell Gem
My Twitter timeline full of jokes about Boris being too scared to attend the podium after weeks of calling Corbyn a chicken and comparing himself to the Hulk over the weekend, from people I don't even follow, is pretty great.

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

Lady Galaga posted:

My Twitter timeline full of jokes about Boris being too scared to attend the podium after weeks of calling Corbyn a chicken and comparing himself to the Hulk over the weekend, from people I don't even follow, is pretty great.

I know the chicken thing was a piss poor distraction tactic which had clearly already been coordinated with CCHQ and some of the press - and not even a great attack line at Corbyn anyway - but :lol: at Dom Cummies inability to even PR manage this poo poo correctly.

Didn't think it was possible to get any more ineffectual than May, but there we go :lol:

coffeetable
Feb 5, 2006

TELL ME AGAIN HOW GREAT BRITAIN WOULD BE IF IT WAS RULED BY THE MERCILESS JACKBOOT OF PRINCE CHARLES

YES I DO TALK TO PLANTS ACTUALLY

baka kaba posted:

e- cat tax

love me some deepdream

Pesmerga
Aug 1, 2005

So nice to eat you

coffeetable posted:

love me some deepdream

Yeah, think I’m gonna skip eating today.

thorsilver
Feb 20, 2005

You have never
been at my show
You haven't seen before
how looks the trumpet

baka kaba posted:

That's because it was specifically set up to do that. It's in no way shape or form representative of actual machine-learning practice. KillHour explained it succinctly in the USPOL thread:

KillHour posted:

What's flawed is they used a database and algorithm (I think this is probably YOLO 9000) designed for object recognition (this is a hat, this is a ball, this is a person), and told it "Figure out what TYPE of people there are here." The database they used doesn't have nearly enough information to do something like that, and a picture is a particularly bad way of doing it. How do you know if someone is colorblind from a photo? I don't know, but we have 140 photos of people who are ostensibly colorblind. Throw it in there! (I looked this up here - http://image-net.org/explore).

Then, because the computer would have a REALLY low confidence in any answer it gives (which you can actually see on the banner of their page - see below), they disabled the confidence output so it looks like the computer is certain about its declarations.

(0.04 is 4% confidence, for example)

It's just total bunk garbage. Nobody would ever use this dataset for what it's being used for. I can create a computer program that randomly generates insulting captions on whatever picture you upload, too.

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

OwlFancier posted:

I do enjoy that oftentime when racism comes up I learn a new racist word that I didn't know before.
My partner's Irish, and before lunch at work she once said something along the lines of "I could loving murder a sambo". This led to an awkward pause and a frank discussion about the surprising differences in meaning some words can have.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

TACD posted:

My partner's Irish, and at work a while ago she said something along the lines of "I could loving murder a sambo". This led to an awkward pause and a frank discussion about the surprising differences in meaning some words can have.

:ohdear:

I use this term frequently...

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Good morning, and here is another "probably parody but things are so stupid right now there remains a grain of doubt" link:

https://thedeeplefthome.wpcomstaging.com/2019/09/16/tories-to-revoke-1975-vote-to-stay-in-the-eu/

justcola
May 22, 2004

La-Li-Lu-Le-Lo

Mine said I looked like a taxonomist, though the closest I've gotten to that is Pokemon. Though I've been looking through a list of Tory MPs to see if there's any rare or shiny ones I may have missed, though I think I only hear about them if in scandals. If you click through you can get full length portraits of them in glorious high definition, all wearing the same navy suit jacket with trousers pulled up to their nipples.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

justcola posted:

Mine said I looked like a taxonomist, though the closest I've gotten to that is Pokemon. Though I've been looking through a list of Tory MPs to see if there's any rare or shiny ones

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

We need the equivalent of the shrimp = small pastry avatar, but for ambulances and their mysteries now.

OwlFancier posted:

Is that... three goku pants moon?

It is! From the glorious webcomic artist conspiracist goldmined thread.

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

TACD posted:

My partner's Irish, and before lunch at work she once said something along the lines of "I could loving murder a sambo". This led to an awkward pause and a frank discussion about the surprising differences in meaning some words can have.

What does it mean in the context your partner intended it to mean? "Sandwich"?

I only know it in the context of the slur, and the...Tale of Little Black Sambo, which my dad would read to me as a kid...in the mid 90s. And it was his copy too, with the original illustrations.

Like this for those not in the know:

Yeah.

Flayer
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Buglord
Johnson getting clowned on by Luxembourg... I would kill for a new The Thick of It.

CGI Stardust
Nov 7, 2010

Brexit is but a door,
election time is but a window.

I'll be back

radmonger posted:

As I said, it is a random word generator implemented using a machine learning toolkit; that is what those words mean. There isn’t enough information in the image database to actually do the classification it is tasked to do, so the intelligence or otherwise of the algorithm is irrelevant; the output will be pseudo-random noise.

Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from a rigged demo. This is kind of the opposite, where the demo is rigged to fail.

Maybe it’s a useful corrective to someone who genuinely thinks if a computer does a calculation, the result must be right?
Ah, with you now, misunderstood how you were using 'random', sorry. Yeah, it doesn't even consistently get skin colour right. And when it does it demonstrates the bias in the data set - BME people might get classified under their various ethnicities, but white people seem to be classified under 'person', not 'white person', even though 'white person' is in the category list; an accidental demonstration of whiteness-as-default (or "accidental", depending).

It has some value as a corrective, I think, for people looking to buy into ML-based tools without much knowledge of how they work and who trust The Algorithm as the word of god. It's helpful to have a visual demonstration of what happens with a bad data set, makes it more real. I guess it'd be possible to do something similar showing what happens when corrective real-world feedback isn't permitted, or when the data set and algorithm are hidden, and so on, as a demonstration of what to look out for.

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

We need the equivalent of the shrimp = small pastry avatar, but for ambulances and their mysteries now.

Woah, I only knew sambo to mean "sandwich" too...IE:

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

I believe Sambo is also a Russian martial art. That's a word with a lot of different contexts.

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

Pesky Splinter posted:

What does it mean in the context your partner intended it to mean? "Sandwich"?
Yea, apparently in Ireland (or at least around Cork?) it’s common slang for a sandwich.

Then again, I was telling this story to UK friends the other day and they’d never heard the racist meaning either, so I guess exposure to the word is a bit patchy in general. Or I just have an excellent and wide-ranging racist vocabulary :smug:

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009

njsykora posted:

I believe Sambo is also a Russian martial art. That's a word with a lot of different contexts.

This is what I understand it as also.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sambo_(martial_art)

The word "SAMBO" is a portmanteau for samozashchita bez oruzhiya, which literally translates as "self-defence without weapons".

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/FugaziTruther/status/1173576532180295680

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
It's also a slang form of Samuel, as in Sambo Freeman who successfully lobbied for his own freedom from slavery and that of three others in 1773.

Of course, there is nothing that racists won't try to ruin.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.
Sambo is the person you live with without being married to in swedish.

mediadave
Sep 8, 2011
I suspect sambo is more of an Americanism? It's certainly very old fashioned racism.

Loonytoad Quack
Aug 24, 2004

High on Shatner's Bassoon
Did anyone hear Robert Buckland on Today earlier? He was asked about whether Johnson is planning to prorogue Parliament a second time after it returns in October and he came out with this total non-answer:

Robert Buckland, attorney general posted:

Well, you know - it feels in politics, Harold Wilson said a week is a long time in politics, it seems like an hour is a long time in politics at the moment. For me to sit here and imagine what might happen at the end of October, I think, is idle. What I do know is, if we are able to, we will have a Queen’s speech in mid-October, there will be debate during that time, and a vote as well, perhaps a series of votes.

So that's a definite yes then.

On a similar subject, you can watch the Supreme Court hearing on the legality of the current proroguing here from 10:30:

https://www.supremecourt.uk/live/court-01.html

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
The EU took all of our 60s racial slurs away and forced us to use metric ones.

coffeetable posted:

love me some deepdream