Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Shut up Meg posted:

Phew! At least that horrible potential confusion has been eliminated.

Oh, hang on....

At least those are just bags put up by the Laotian government, not actually the color of the bombs.

I did eat an HDR once. They're quite good. Vegan with non-alcohol wet wipes so they're acceptable to just about anyone who receives them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mostlygray
Nov 1, 2012

BURY ME AS I LIVED, A FREE MAN ON THE CLUTCH

Icon Of Sin posted:

After driving behind a farming tractor with all sorts of attachments that look some combo of spiky, sharp, and spinning, I legit have no idea how some farmers make it to old age mostly intact. My uncle runs a farm with his (adult) son, and somehow made it this far with all his digits intact. His shoulder blade is dislocated upwards and it looks like he’s sprouting a single wing, but he just keeps on working “because I’ve got better poo poo to do than lay around” :v:

That was probably a wheel rake. You use it to make windrows. It's probably one of the safest tools you use. It's the PTO that will kill you. You get frustrated and tired then you make a mistake. Then you lose all the skin from your legs, including your genitals. Spinning shafts man, spinning shafts.

Craptacular
Jul 11, 2004

mostlygray posted:

That was probably a wheel rake. You use it to make windrows. It's probably one of the safest tools you use. It's the PTO that will kill you. You get frustrated and tired then you make a mistake. Then you lose all the skin from your legs, including your genitals. Spinning shafts man, spinning shafts.
Yeah, those are a lot safer. I started driving a tractor pulling one of those on my grandparent's farm in Jr high, whereas I wasn't allowed to run the hay baler until I was an adult, specifically because of the PTO issue.

That said, when I was 15, I was given the keys to a rented Ditch Witch and told to dig 1/2 mile trench. You don't have to ask a teenager twice if he wants to drive a five-foot-long vehicle-mounted chainsaw.

Surprisingly, I still have all my limbs!

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

That picture just screams “HEY! PHRASING!” at me, especially with the angle of the ditch digger. Like it’s looking for a trench to plow...🤔

ReelBigLizard
Feb 27, 2003

Fallen Rib

Rent-A-Cop posted:

Don't worry, the Russians make them too! Except they paint them green-grey so they're hard to see and there failure rate is way higher!

This is the Russian PFM-1 "Butterfly" Mine. An air dropped mine deployed extensively in Afghanistan.

It's a soft bodied mine filled with liquid explosive, like a tide pod that wants to kill you. It's detonated by squeezing it, which no child would do out of curiosity upon finding something toylike and squishy. If stepped on, it tends to remove the foot. If activated in the hand it tends to remove the hand and face.

Can't blame the russkies for this one though, it's a copy of the US BLU-43 used in Vietnam!

Rascar Capac
Aug 31, 2016

Surprisingly nice, for an evil Inca mummy.
https://twitter.com/newsweek/status/1173982485098762240?s=21

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day
Life cums at you fast.

lol if you
Jun 29, 2004

I am going to remove your penis, in thin slices, like salami, just for starters.
back to train chat:

i'm alive today because my mom smashed into the back of a pickup and kept flooring it until she pushed the truck forward enough to get us (mostly) off a set of train tracks.

this was in the late 70s and a length of track ran through my small town including a bit that passed a couple car lengths in front of a stoplight creating kind of a car catcher effect. the tracks were out of service for several months for maintenance which had been widely announced through the town. as part of that maintenance they shut off the flashing reds and the gate on the tracks.

because the tracks weren't in use people started to get complacent about getting backed up in a line of cars waiting at the stoplight and resting over the tracks. my mom was one of those people.

a switching accident upstream resulted in a train getting sent down the (supposedly inactive) tracks. it was approaching from the passenger side window, basically insta-death for me had we stayed where we were.

instead of becoming a red mist i got out with only a concussion from smashing the windshield with my forehead (no seatbelts, my mom ain't exactly winning any good parenting awards). the train still clipped the back of the car but only just enough to rip off the bumper.

memory is a weird thing. my clearest memory from this nearly forty year old event was looking up from the footwell of the car i'd fallen down into, vision kinda hazed with all the blood pouring out of my split forehead, and seeing that between two lines in the spiderwebbed windshield glass there was a perfect capital "F". Like it was typeset.

my next memory is a couple days later when my kindergarden teacher arranged for my whole class to come visit me in the hospital.

anyways the moral isn't "ram your way off the tracks" it's "don't stop on loving tracks, ever"

BMan
Oct 31, 2015

KNIIIIIIFE
EEEEEYYYYE
ATTAAAACK

lol if you posted:

back to train chat:

i'm alive today because my mom smashed into the back of a pickup and kept flooring it until she pushed the truck forward enough to get us (mostly) off a set of train tracks.

this was in the late 70s and a length of track ran through my small town including a bit that passed a couple car lengths in front of a stoplight creating kind of a car catcher effect. the tracks were out of service for several months for maintenance which had been widely announced through the town. as part of that maintenance they shut off the flashing reds and the gate on the tracks.

because the tracks weren't in use people started to get complacent about getting backed up in a line of cars waiting at the stoplight and resting over the tracks. my mom was one of those people.

a switching accident upstream resulted in a train getting sent down the (supposedly inactive) tracks. it was approaching from the passenger side window, basically insta-death for me had we stayed where we were.

instead of becoming a red mist i got out with only a concussion from smashing the windshield with my forehead (no seatbelts, my mom ain't exactly winning any good parenting awards). the train still clipped the back of the car but only just enough to rip off the bumper.

memory is a weird thing. my clearest memory from this nearly forty year old event was looking up from the footwell of the car i'd fallen down into, vision kinda hazed with all the blood pouring out of my split forehead, and seeing that between two lines in the spiderwebbed windshield glass there was a perfect capital "F". Like it was typeset.

my next memory is a couple days later when my kindergarden teacher arranged for my whole class to come visit me in the hospital.

anyways the moral isn't "ram your way off the tracks" it's "don't stop on loving tracks, ever"

F

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

LifeSunDeath posted:

Life cums at you fast.

:vince::cumpolice:

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

Rascar Capac posted:

Massive semen explosion

I have that DVD.

EssOEss
Oct 23, 2006
128-bit approved
Local municipal work gang demolishing unauthorized guard post in Manila.

quote:

They've already broken all of the pillars on this building but you see it's still standing. It is very well built, the rebar is done properly. On most structures that are being knocked down recently, they just pretty much crumble under their own weight.

quote:

That was unexpected! The building suddenly fell down.

Video at 5:10: https://www.facebook.com/ytgadgetaddict/videos/486789535202662/?t=310

Lots of rear end-puckering as workers try to demolish stuff while standing inside it.

EssOEss fucked around with this message at 18:41 on Sep 17, 2019

Bacon Taco
Jun 8, 2006

Now with extra narwhal meat!
HAIKOOLIGAN
Dinosaur Gum

lol if you posted:

no seatbelts, my mom ain't exactly winning any good parenting awards

I think she wins a great parenting award by doing whatever she had to do to keep Kindergarden You from turning into a blob of red goo!

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

How do they inseminate bulls?

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

SelenicMartian posted:

You know, boss, we've been inseminating these bulls for a few years now and we have had zero successes. Maybe we should buy a book or watch a video or something.

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Can you spare a little cheddar?
Nap Ghost

SelenicMartian posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jwhCwREt6xo

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Cojawfee posted:

poo poo, I was draining my electropool with this axe and forgot to turn the electricity off.

good news is that axes generally have wooden handles although if that elctro-water hits your feet..

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

chitoryu12 posted:

I did eat an HDR once. They're quite good. Vegan with non-alcohol wet wipes so they're acceptable to just about anyone who receives them.

Except for chuds, but they can live off they're copious reserves of fat.

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

Are we still cutting trees near powerlines?

https://www.instagram.com/p/B2hjiW7FxKM/?igshid=lavv7bsn35cd

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

How do they keep that from twisting? Do the spinning blades make it stable from a gyroscopic effect? (I can never remember which direction that adds stability)

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

There's some kind of bracing system, but they don't say what it is.

https://www.tdworld.com/vegetation-management/aerial-saw-boon-line-trimming

Article highlight:

quote:

Today’s aerial saw design consists of ten 2-ft-diameter blades attached to a 90-ft aluminum boom. A 28-hp engine powers a series of belts that turn the blades at 4,000 rpm, which the pilot remotely controls from the helicopter.

Drone_Fragger
May 9, 2007

ReelBigLizard posted:

This is the Russian PFM-1 "Butterfly" Mine. An air dropped mine deployed extensively in Afghanistan.

It's a soft bodied mine filled with liquid explosive, like a tide pod that wants to kill you. It's detonated by squeezing it, which no child would do out of curiosity upon finding something toylike and squishy. If stepped on, it tends to remove the foot. If activated in the hand it tends to remove the hand and face.

Can't blame the russkies for this one though, it's a copy of the US BLU-43 used in Vietnam!

Man, I wonder why the middle east seems to breed anti-western terrorists. Must be the lack of democracy. nothing to do with every village losing 4 kids a year to UXO's that the west carefully gave them, I guess.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

One thing to note is that color was actually designed for total war in Europe, where they would be naturally camouflaged and difficult to see on the battlefield. Not the best design decision for dumping in a lower intensity conflict in the desert and mountains.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

Drone_Fragger posted:

Man, I wonder why the middle east seems to breed anti-western terrorists. Must be the lack of democracy. nothing to do with every village losing 4 kids a year to UXO's that the west carefully gave them, I guess.

I guess if Afghanistan is in the Middle East then, sure, the USSR can be the west.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

How do they keep that from twisting? Do the spinning blades make it stable from a gyroscopic effect? (I can never remember which direction that adds stability)

It's not on a rope, it's hanging on a metal rod. So there's some twisting but it keeps basically the same heading as the helicopter body.

Burning_Monk
Jan 11, 2005
Mad, Bad, and Dangerous to know

I feel the urge to purge the Emperor's enemies with that.

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

How would you deal with a kickback on an aerial saw? I mean, the helicopter can power right through it, but what happens to the saw? A blade shattering at 4k rpm is among one of the last things I would want anywhere near my flying helicopter, outside of actually being shot at.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Phanatic posted:

I guess if Afghanistan is in the Middle East then, sure, the USSR can be the west.

Do you write for the Washington Post?

The term “Middle East” was coined for that area of the world. The Near East was Turkey to the western border of Iran.

The Far East was anything east of British India.

That leaves Afghanistan firmly in the Middle East.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Icon Of Sin posted:

How would you deal with a kickback on an aerial saw? I mean, the helicopter can power right through it, but what happens to the saw? A blade shattering at 4k rpm is among one of the last things I would want anywhere near my flying helicopter, outside of actually being shot at.

Pretty sure it's 'jettison the saw and hope for the best'

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

PittTheElder posted:

hope for the best
SOP for any helicopter flight.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Platystemon posted:

Do you write for the Washington Post?

The term “Middle East” was coined for that area of the world. The Near East was Turkey to the western border of Iran.

The Far East was anything east of British India.

That leaves Afghanistan firmly in the Middle East.

Like with "the Third World," definitions change.

https://www.google.com/search?q=mid...iw=1278&bih=787

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Phanatic posted:

The first hit includes Afghanistan in the middle east.

:lol: at this one:

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Kickbacks aren't really a problem, those saws can cut warehouses, pipes, piers, sports cars, no problem

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Phanatic posted:

Yes, and I would never correct someone for saying that Iraq is in the Middle East, but the old definition stays in the dictionary and remains valid.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

hobbesmaster posted:

The first hit includes Afghanistan in the middle east.

:lol: at this one:

Didn’t follow the link for that picture did you?

https://www.britannica.com/amp/story/are-the-middle-east-and-the-near-east-the-same-thing

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Icon Of Sin posted:

There's some kind of bracing system, but they don't say what it is.

https://www.tdworld.com/vegetation-management/aerial-saw-boon-line-trimming

Article highlight:

maybe all those blades create some sort of gyroscopic effect and it's hard to knock the blades off angle since there are so many and they're rigidly mounted. Even if one blade gets wonky there are 9 backups to keep the thing in the intended line

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ doesnt seem like the post would create any bracing at all, maybe there's a motor in the box at the top to adjust angle?

Burning_Monk
Jan 11, 2005
Mad, Bad, and Dangerous to know

The British had their time to define borders of things, now it's America!

Mooseykins
Aug 9, 2013

Triangle tits and an annoying sex voice?

Fuuuuck youuuuu sluuuut!

I have always wanted to do that with a knuckleboom truck crane. If i ever get my hands on one with a remote control i am absolutely doing that.

Drone_Fragger posted:

Reminds me of this; a fascinating insight:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tixOyiR8B-8

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo

Shut up and post osha not dictionary poo poo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mooseykins
Aug 9, 2013

Triangle tits and an annoying sex voice?

Fuuuuck youuuuu sluuuut!
How to correctly carry out road testing on a 44-tonne truck:

https://imgur.com/B6QB1vO