Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

AITA for not taking a girls bikini pic down from my bar?

I found some vintage bikini model pics from the 70s and it fit really well in my bar. A few years later some dude approaches my bar and demands I take them down because that his mom. Apparently she was a playboy model and the family is trying to hide it. I told politely I’m not going to. He yells at me and demands so I told him to fuckoff. I’ve been getting emails and phone calls from others (I’m assuming sane family). At this point I’m doing this on principal not because I give a poo poo about the poster

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

AITA for bad-mouthing the company my girlfriend works for?

So, my girlfriend runs a retail store with a global footprint. They have been known to use sweatshops, and I recently discovered they never hire anybody full-time because then they would have to provide benefits.

I brought up to her that no, I won't buy from your store, because I dont support what they stand for, and she called me an rear end in a top hat for not supporting her store. She missed her budget by $500 and wanted me to buy $500 worth of merchandise to return at a later date, just so she would hit budget.

Now, the company has been downhill for a while, so I also have a financial investment against them. Granted, one store wouldnt impact that, but she thinks I didn't do it based on my "bet against them", and believes I personally did her wrong "out of spite".

Spite for what, I don't know.

Question is, Am I The rear end in a top hat for not providing my girlfriend with business for her budget based on the fact I dont support what her company stands for?

StrangersInTheNight
Dec 31, 2007
ABSOLUTE FUCKING GUDGEON

MightyJoe36 posted:

Yeah, I'm old enough to remember a time when if a man wasn't married by a certain age, there were assumptions made about him.

Yeah, I remember a time when they suggested a man was gay for not having kids. I get your struggle'

Nope. Even then the expectations were still different because again: a man was expected to have a family ON TOP OF a job. Back then, a woman's job WAS the family.

It was literally our main function. Men at least got to, ya know - think about their place in life and where they wanted to go in their careers and stuff. We were just baby machines.

Men got crushed by the overwhelming expectations put upon them, women got crushed by the severe underestimation of what they can do due to society paternalistically protecting the baby machines, and the roles women were subsequently slotted into were diminished.

It's not the same and trying to equate the two is offensive, considering women literally only became homebound baby-makers to satisfy men's desire to procreate.

Chomp8645 posted:

Unless you have just time traveled to us from the 50's or you live in Saudi Arabia I'd say it's pretty much disappeared.

No it hasn't, this is like saying racism is dead bc of Civil Rights and 'slavery was so far in the past, it's done now'

These expectations don't exist as literally as they did anymore but absolutely still affect society, or else you wouldn't have said what you did about there being expectations on men.

You point was that it's all equal now, that we have the same pressures put on us to have a family regardless of gender, which isn't true

And the concept of that bothered you so much, that society still might have more expectations of women in this regard, you gotta be doing this here

StrangersInTheNight fucked around with this message at 18:07 on Sep 17, 2019

ulex minor
Apr 30, 2018

HIJK posted:

Suffering really shouldn’t be a competition, like the suffering of guys should not be discounted in a stupid internet one up manship (lol) game. There are no internet points to win. Everyone struggle, it rains on the just and the unjust alike. Going “well ackshually :goonsay:” at the reasonable statement of “men are also punished socially for not having sexual partners and children” is ridiculous. Stop that.

a fun thing about being a trans man is having experienced all the hardships of misogyny and then getting to deal with the issues that sexism causes men while being told that those problems aren't real or very important

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Pope Corky the IX posted:

I couldn't give a flying gently caress about the photos from my first wedding because I'm on my second marriage and I've been no contact with my family for seven years.

Wow, lifehack

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

MagusofStars posted:

Worth noting that many of these corporations don’t even allow their own employees to confront a customer about shop lifting unless they personally see it happen or the alarm goes off. Because if you’re wrong, it guarantees that customer is never ever coming back AND is bitching to all their friends losing other customers AND maybe it ends up on the local news.

Having worked retail, I can assure you that if we saw a person in their 70’s acting suspicious, the manager would 100% say this: Oh so we can go shake down grandpa and have his kids raise hell tomorrow because we accused her dear grandpa with mild Alzheimer’s of theft when really he just forgot what he was trying to buy? gently caress no. If the alarm buzzed when he leaves, we’ll deal with it, but your ‘suspicions’ aren’t nearly enough.

Walmart cut loose some associates who were told to charge into the parking lot and chase down a shoplifter who then died. Because their corporate policy explicit says "Do not forcibly stop shoplifters" they fired them immediately and those employees are charged with assault and murder/manslaughter.

It doesn't matter if your boss is screaming at you to tackle a shoplifter, you can't ever take physical action as a store employee to physically restrain someone because whatever happens next no one from the company will support you. Guy falls and breaks an arm, guess who is personally liable and the store's legion of attorneys will make sure to extensively show the court how you violated company policy.

Citizen's arrests are such a white male power fantasy I can't imagine any situation where someone trying to do it actually works and isn't reprimanded by the police and charged with assault and unlawful detainment themselves.

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Smirking_Serpent posted:

AITA for bad-mouthing the company my girlfriend works for?

I brought up to her that no, I won't buy from your store, because I dont support what they stand for, and she called me an rear end in a top hat for not supporting her store. She missed her budget by $500 and wanted me to buy $500 worth of merchandise to return at a later date, just so she would hit budget.
This is a genius plan that could in no way fail. It certainly won't lead to a cock-up cascade where each month, the boyfriend has to buy even more stuff to make up the hole in the budget, which is now bigger because of the return of last month's purchase.

DemoneeHo
Nov 9, 2017

Come on hee-ho, just give us 300 more macca

A Wizard of Goatse posted:

any time someone tells you they're from State Department ask them what it's like flying a coke plane

You don't want to know what the sick fucks over at the Department of Transportation get up to

DemoneeHo
Nov 9, 2017

Found my (20sM) married father (40sM) on Grindr

quote:

Title is as bad as it sounds. I am not out to anyone, but I occasionally use grindr. Saw a profile who's stats looked suspiciously familiar. My location is off, so he could not see exact distance, and I changed all my info to be different. I still live in the same house as my family.

I kept thinking to myself, "there's no loving way..." as my parents are extremely happy, conservative religious folks on the surface.

He sent a photo of his penis and eventually his face, at which point I instantly blocked him. At first I thought it was just trying to catch me, not that I have ever given anyone any suspicion, but the picture and him using all the terms (hosting, vers, discreet) makes me feel like he has used it for a while.

What the gently caress do I do??

Tl;dr: Married father with children is on grindr.

Daddy, no

My advice is to stop browsing the daddy category on grindr

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

pentyne posted:

Walmart cut loose some associates who were told to charge into the parking lot and chase down a shoplifter who then died. Because their corporate policy explicit says "Do not forcibly stop shoplifters" they fired them immediately and those employees are charged with assault and murder/manslaughter.

It doesn't matter if your boss is screaming at you to tackle a shoplifter, you can't ever take physical action as a store employee to physically restrain someone because whatever happens next no one from the company will support you. Guy falls and breaks an arm, guess who is personally liable and the store's legion of attorneys will make sure to extensively show the court how you violated company policy.

Citizen's arrests are such a white male power fantasy I can't imagine any situation where someone trying to do it actually works and isn't reprimanded by the police and charged with assault and unlawful detainment themselves.

They'll also fire you for not intervening, as happened to a Popeye's manager after a robbery.

cumshitter
Sep 27, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

DemoneeHo posted:

Found my (20sM) married father (40sM) on Grindr

Daddy, no

My advice is to stop browsing the daddy category on grindr

The fact that the father is inviting guys over to gently caress him makes me think the wife may be in on it as well. I am jealous of this father who somehow made his marriage to a woman work and also raised a gay son.

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012
in the room where you sleep

ulex minor posted:

a fun thing about being a trans man is having experienced all the hardships of misogyny and then getting to deal with the issues that sexism causes men while being told that those problems aren't real or very important

That’s the worst double edged sword, drat

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Smirking_Serpent posted:

AITA for not taking a girls bikini pic down from my bar?

I found some vintage bikini model pics from the 70s and it fit really well in my bar. A few years later some dude approaches my bar and demands I take them down because that his mom. Apparently she was a playboy model and the family is trying to hide it. I told politely I’m not going to. He yells at me and demands so I told him to fuckoff. I’ve been getting emails and phone calls from others (I’m assuming sane family). At this point I’m doing this on principal not because I give a poo poo about the poster

lol when I read the headline I was not expecting the reason for the takedown request to be "dude that's my mom". What a surprise!

Talking to you sucks so I'm gonna stop doing it.

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

pentyne posted:

afaict the theory is legal protection for the guy who intervenes to stop their neighbor beating his wife to death but of course naturally the practice is some guy who owns 30 guns football tackling a senior citizen over an imaginary $5 bottle of Pantene

A Wizard of Goatse fucked around with this message at 18:21 on Sep 17, 2019

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT

Peaceful Anarchy posted:

Should have left some Rum and Cokes labeled "Drinks" on the counter to complement the brownies.

I left little shot glasses of red wine on the table labeled "Jesus Juice". One of my guests' kids drank some & he flipped out at me. AITA?

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

A Wizard of Goatse posted:

afaict the theory is legal protection for the guy who intervenes to stop their neighbor beating his wife to death but of course naturally the practice is some guy who owns 30 guns football tackling a senior citizen over an imaginary $5 bottle of Pantene

You start out with the best intentions....

StrangersInTheNight
Dec 31, 2007
ABSOLUTE FUCKING GUDGEON

HIJK posted:

Suffering really shouldn’t be a competition, like the suffering of guys should not be discounted in a stupid internet one up manship (lol) game. There are no internet points to win. Everyone struggle, it rains on the just and the unjust alike. Going “well ackshually :goonsay:” at the reasonable statement of “men are also punished socially for not having sexual partners and children” is ridiculous. Stop that.

And I'm not discounting that men suffer - just that men and women suffer in different ways and to say 'thats just part of being human! *Slide whistles and tap dances away*' when a woman mentions something gender-specific to her suffering is just as much of a dick move. Stop that.

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

AITA for posting memes and on Facebook about my absentee father?

33m and never met my biological dad. He only lives an hour away and I've still never met him by his choice. I however did meet his side of my family for the first time 2 years ago and they have all been wonderful to me, with a couple of exceptions. My dad reached out to me to meet a year ago and he bailed so that was that. I posted a meme on my personal Facebook page making fun of my absentee father and all of my aunts and my grandmother are quite mad at me and asked me to take it down. I said hell no, they have no idea what it's like to be in my shoes and now none of us are talking because of the big fight we got into over this. I told them if they feel that way then it was nice meeting them but I have no room for people who defend him in any way. They didn't respond to that except to tell me how upset they are with what I've done and that I should never have posted anything about him. So AITA?

op's dad: ight imma head out

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

Holy loving poo poo this thread. Here’s a fact that all the “but what about the men’s” shitheads don’t want to think about: if all white straight cis men vanished from the earth today, the lives of all those left behind would be made IMMEASURABLY better. Period. There is literally nothing they provide and they destroy everything.

Get rid of them.

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

Wow rude.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

carry on then posted:

Holy loving poo poo this thread. Here’s a fact that all the “but what about the men’s” shitheads don’t want to think about : if all white straight cis men vanished from the earth today, the lives of all those left behind would be made IMMEASURABLY better. Period. There is literally nothing they provide and they destroy everything.

Get rid of them.

Wow this really makes u think....

Universe Master
Jun 20, 2005

Darn Fine Pie

Playboy mom's son needs to learn about the Streisand effect.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
"Gosh I'm just flabbergasted with the bad posting in this thread!!!"

*Muses about how good a genocide would be*

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?

PostNouveau posted:

Wow, lifehack

Yeah, my first wedding was 180 people, my second was 60 people, with none of my family at the latter, and only three people besides myself were at both.

StrangersInTheNight
Dec 31, 2007
ABSOLUTE FUCKING GUDGEON
Uh, I didn't walk in with that guy, I'm just gonna be...over here...

DemoneeHo
Nov 9, 2017

AITA for potentially ruining a wedding by questioning my lack of invite?

quote:

The facts: I have been with my boyfriend for 7 years. The bride and groom (B & G) are both former housemates of my boyfriend, and we were all friends. My boyfriend lived with them both for around two years when he was 21. We have all stayed in touch in the years since.

B & G got together romantically two years ago (no one was living together by now), and got engaged last Christmas. Their wedding date is in November. We were told all of the details, with it clearly being said that we were both invited. A couple of weekends ago the official invitation only came addressed to my boyfriend, with no plus one. We knew that they’d planned a ‘no plus ones’ wedding as they didn’t want strangers there, but we were both surprised that I apparently hadn’t made the cut. We waited just in case I got a separate invite, but two weeks passed and nothing came.

Yesterday I sent a message to B expressing my sadness that she hadn’t mentioned not inviting me when she’d had ample opportunity to, while my boyfriend did the same with G, saying he couldn’t imagine any of his friends not knowing that we’re a package deal. B sent me a reply saying that she was sorry for not telling me but her wedding planner had told her to cut her guest list down so they opted to only invite couples that were ‘fully committed’ eg. engaged, but that her and G couldn’t imagine dis-inviting my boyfriend. For reference, neither of us ever has any interest in getting married, but that doesn’t mean we’re not ‘fully committed’ to each other; everyone in our circle, B & G included, knows about this.

Last night, G asked if he could meet with my boyfriend for a drink to discuss it all. My boyfriend came back and told me that G had no idea that I wasn’t invited, and so when he’d messaged that we were both sad about it G was confused as B had told him that I’d told her that I was going to be away on the day from a note on the RSVP we’d sent back the day before. He confronted her and she said the line again about commitment, and she’d asked the wedding planner to change the names on ours and a couple of other invites as she didn’t want random exes in her wedding pictures when she looked at them in years to come. G said that it was unfair to say that we’d break up just because we weren’t engaged, and that if anyone was going to end up splitting up it was them because they’d not even been together for half the time we had. An argument ensued, and now G is on the verge of cancelling the wedding and dumping B.

I was feeling pretty bad, but it was made worse this morning as B had sent me paragraphs overnight about how I was a life-ruining homewrecker. My boyfriend spent the night pleading with G to reconsider, so it’s not like we either convinced or agreed with his actions. My boyfriend says I shouldn’t, but I feel like I need to apologise to B for her pain. Did I wreck a relationship?

StrangersInTheNight
Dec 31, 2007
ABSOLUTE FUCKING GUDGEON

Pope Corky the IX posted:

Yeah, my first wedding was 180 people, my second was 60 people, with none of my family at the latter, and only three people besides myself were at both.

Fourth wedding: the bride and groom, two cats and some nacho chips

Weddings suck, you are loving living the dream

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

DemoneeHo posted:

AITA for potentially ruining a wedding by questioning my lack of invite?

Posted before but I didn't comment then. imo it sounds like OP inadvertently saved these two from themselves.

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

Chomp8645 posted:

"Gosh I'm just flabbergasted with the bad posting in this thread!!!"

*Muses about how good a genocide would be*

You have never suffered.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

carry on then posted:

You have never suffered.

You can clearly see that I am reading this thread.

Leon Einstein
Feb 6, 2012
I must win every thread in GBS. I don't care how much banal semantic quibbling and shitty posts it takes.

carry on then posted:

Holy loving poo poo this thread. Here’s a fact that all the “but what about the men’s” shitheads don’t want to think about : if all white straight cis men vanished from the earth today, the lives of all those left behind would be made IMMEASURABLY better. Period. There is literally nothing they provide and they destroy everything.

Get rid of them.

Lol, genocide is good if it is against a race I personally dislike.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Chomp8645 posted:

Posted before but I didn't comment then. imo it sounds like OP inadvertently saved these two from themselves.

I'm sure all their brain problems come right from this relationship and they'll both be healthy and functional adults with great lives once they're out of it.

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

Leon Einstein posted:

Lol, genocide is good if it is against a race I personally dislike.

Please keep stanning the entirely racist, misogynistic, homophobic, and transphobic class of people everyone else wants gone, it’s a good look for you.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

DemoneeHo posted:

I feel like most classified agencies have their workers claim they are part of a cover agency or department instead of saying a generic "i work for the fed"

But this probably varies from agency to agency

This is correct. There's a lot of people who do classified work that aren't "secret agents", they just have access to classified documents for their job, so they hold completely regular government jobs that just require them to access and make things that most people aren't allowed to see. Their role is legitimate and has a full paper trail if anyone were to ask because they really are doing that job. Actual "spies" who exclusively do classified intelligence work, including field work, generally have a fictional government job that makes it normal for them to be seen going in and out of government facilities.

Any actual spy would have a proper job that they could describe to people, even if only vague terms, and enough unclassified government work is still sensitive enough that you aren't allowed to tell people the details if they ask so "I can't say anything further" doesn't mean you're a spy. A guy who's suspiciously vague and making a show of locking his stuff away is probably bullshitting.

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

yeah it's definitely someone else that everyone wants gone

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
Someone help me out here, I earnestly don't know if this is like some hot new trolling or if there are really people like this. Is carry on then just having a gag or is this for real? I cannot tell.

Something something 2019.

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

Chomp8645 posted:

Someone help me out here, I earnestly don't know if this is like some hot new trolling or if there are really people like this. Is carry on then just having a gag or is this for real? I cannot tell.

Something something 2019.

I am 100% serious.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

How do I (27F) turn my friendship (23M) into one with benefits? (Complicated situation)

So I have this friend who is a mutual friend with my ex. The ex and I both met him at the same time, and I think I'm closer to him as we would talk basically every day. My ex broke up with me, and this friend was the first to notice my FB status change and called me right away.

After I got over the breakup I realized I'm super attracted to this friend (I'll call him S). Recently, S moved in with my ex and other friend (who S is really close to). Just a lovely coincidence that my ex is also in the house.

For a while we havnt been communicating every day like we used to, and I found out its because S started dating a girl long distance. When he told me about it, he made sure I knew they were in an open relationship cause of the distance (yes I believe him). The last time we hung out one on one I got strong sexual tension with him, but when some other friends joined us he cooled off.

I really want to turn this friendship into a friends with benefits thing. I don't want a relationship with anybody for the foreseeable future, but I've never been so turned on just by the presence of a guy before.

Problem is, I don't know how to do it. I don't want to ruin our friendship if he really doesn't feel that way for me. Or if he believes in some guy code (I don't think he's the kind of person who would limit himself like that though, especially how the breakup happened. My ex was an rear end in a top hat and doesn't deserve any kind of dibs on me.)

And I'm so useless when it comes to making a move on guys. I've never really done it.

How can I go about this?

Tl;dr: How do I make sure my guy friend knows I wanna gently caress him without being overly obvious, ruining our friendship, or making myself look like a fool? Also, he's now roommates with my ex

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

carry on then posted:

I am 100% serious.

Oh ok then.

Thanks, whoever took care of that! Was getting kind of embarrassing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ulex minor
Apr 30, 2018

HIJK posted:

That’s the worst double edged sword, drat

yeah but if you think about it women don't even get to use swords so i have it bett- gently caress i just cut off my hand