Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Yoked
Apr 3, 2007

I am liking the black land in a midrange deck, probably Orzhov as every time I’ve tried building one it seems to run out of gas.

The green might be good but it’s hard to say without the full spoiler.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sit on my Facebook
Jun 20, 2007

ASS GAS OR GRASS
No One Rides for FREE
In the Trumplord Holy Land

Sickening posted:

Is it really that punishing? You have how many cards in your hand on average when you have enough mana to activate it? Seems like paying 3 or less life to draw a card isn't really that far out of line for decks that can run the land.

Yeah it's certainly contextual. It's hard to evaluate because going up a card for no opportunity cost at all can be worth quite a bit, but on the other hand if I'm getting beat down by a million knight tribal and GB stompy decks every round it gets far less appealing

Tibalt
May 14, 2017

What, drawn, and talk of peace! I hate the word, As I hate hell, all Montagues, and thee

I propose a 7step evaluation process: pick order in pack one, meta-defining quality in Standard, potential playability in Modern, number of copies played in the appropriate deck in Historic, "spiciness" in Legacy, and odds on restriction in Vintage, and finally the Fun Factor in Commander and Commander-like formats.

That'll really let us know whose the better evaluators

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
The green land is really good. Would green decks be better if everything over 5 mana cost 1 less? yes. You can also use it to cast two three drops.

The blue land is also imo better than it looks. Scries have a lot of value late game. My guess is people are spoiled by how completely broken azcanta is.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

sit on my Facebook posted:

Yeah it's certainly contextual. It's hard to evaluate because going up a card for no opportunity cost at all can be worth quite a bit, but on the other hand if I'm getting beat down by a million knight tribal and GB stompy decks every round it gets far less appealing

You can just not tap the land if that’s happening

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

If you are getting beat down by aggro and can't use the ability, there isn't any upside to it being another land. Wrong fault for the card.

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Yeah, but what if I respond to your activation by casting Emergency Powers?

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

Garenbrig should've just been a green Cabal Stronghold, as-is, it's mostly worthless in a world of Nissa, Leyline and Leafkin.

shades of blue
Sep 27, 2012
Knights is going to be a t1 deck

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."

The black land is so punishing. It's bonkers if you're hellbent but it's a pretty steep cost after that. I think the green one is deceptively good just as an Ancient Tomb for fatties. I mean, in the right deck it's a zero mana ramp spell right?

If you have cards in hand you're likely spending your mana on other things.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

Monoblack will be some business too. I think the castle is good, 2-3 of. Not for nothing even if you are out of gas and peel a land, that's not a dead card if you have the swampfall guy out.

I've learned to respect the swampfall guy.

E: Rakdoz Aggro-risticrats feels on the verge of breaking out in the new standard to me, as well.

Owlbear Camus fucked around with this message at 17:33 on Sep 17, 2019

Bugsy
Jul 15, 2004

I'm thumpin'. That's
why they call me
'Thumper'.

Slippery Tilde

Tubgoat posted:

Return to printing process and cardface used in 1997.

gently caress yeah.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

this or gtfo:

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010

LifeLynx posted:

I haven't seen a second set so obviously telelgraphed before. If they didn't come out and say Return to Theros was the next set, I would've known just from how hard mono-color is pushed in this set. No rare duals, adamant, quad hybrid creatures, etc. I have a feeling the green Castle is way better than it looks just because Theros 2 cards are going to reward you for having six green mana to pay for a creature or creature ability.

if they ever make a mechanic in theros 2 that's like do X for each G spent on this it's three mono color mana fixing

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

Owlbear Camus posted:

this or gtfo:

and I thought the creatures actually printed in Alpha were bad, jeez

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

Tibalt posted:

I propose a 7step evaluation process: pick order in pack one, meta-defining quality in Standard, potential playability in Modern, number of copies played in the appropriate deck in Historic, "spiciness" in Legacy, and odds on restriction in Vintage, and finally the Fun Factor in Commander and Commander-like formats.

That'll really let us know whose the better evaluators

I don't give a flying gently caress about historic and I think it's a weird bastard format made because wotc only just now that, hey, formats rotate, this might be bad for our digital product.

Can I excuse myself from that category?

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Elyv posted:

and I thought the creatures actually printed in Alpha were bad, jeez

I made the same mistake the first time I saw these: the playtest notation for the not-yet-serra angel's 3WW cost was 5WW, meant to be read as "five mana, two of which must be white."

Tibalt
May 14, 2017

What, drawn, and talk of peace! I hate the word, As I hate hell, all Montagues, and thee

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

I don't give a flying gently caress about historic and I think it's a weird bastard format made because wotc only just now that, hey, formats rotate, this might be bad for our digital product.

No.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

Son of a bitch, guess I'm the 6/7 bastard now.

imweasel09
May 26, 2014

Owlbear Camus posted:

Monoblack will be some business too. I think the castle is good, 2-3 of. Not for nothing even if you are out of gas and peel a land, that's not a dead card if you have the swampfall guy out.

I've learned to respect the swampfall guy.

E: Rakdoz Aggro-risticrats feels on the verge of breaking out in the new standard to me, as well.

It's not typed as a swamp, for the record. Only the lower rarity land is.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

imweasel09 posted:

It's not typed as a swamp, for the record. Only the lower rarity land is.

Oh, I meant if the castle grabs you a swamp. Sorry for the ambiguity. :)

A Moose
Oct 22, 2009

How is that land better than any Mana dork? Leafkin lets you ramp before turn 5, can block, can make 1 more Mana if the condition is met, has a useful creature type, Mana can be used for anything, multiple copies aren't useless... Also you're playing Nissa in this deck so you want the absolute minimum of lands that aren't forests. Also that land can't be used to cast Nissa.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

Owlbear Camus posted:

Oh, I meant if the castle grabs you a swamp. Sorry for the ambiguity. :)

Tap 4 lands and pay a life to draw a swamp so you can pay a life and draw another card (hopefully a swamp) hell yeah I unironically love it.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

A Moose posted:

How is that land better than any Mana dork? Leafkin lets you ramp before turn 5, can block, can make 1 more Mana if the condition is met, has a useful creature type, Mana can be used for anything, multiple copies aren't useless... Also you're playing Nissa in this deck so you want the absolute minimum of lands that aren't forests. Also that land can't be used to cast Nissa.

Because it's a land and doesn't take up a card or a spell to do it.

It can still tap for G like normal so it can still pay for Nissa, who costs 5 and this doesn't ramp you into her anyway.

Nissa gets played in 3 colour decks she doesn't care of you're short a forest or two.

Or, imagine this: play the land AND play mana dorks :wow:

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

Owlbear Camus posted:

I made the same mistake the first time I saw these: the playtest notation for the not-yet-serra angel's 3WW cost was 5WW, meant to be read as "five mana, two of which must be white."

oh whoops, in recompense I offer these spoilers

Tom Clancy is Dead
Jul 13, 2011

evilweasel posted:

i know, but it's not a deck that's really jonesing for a handful of extra damage from attackers. you're activating this on turn four or later, at which point you probably don't have any attackers that can get through on the ground unless they're sacrificing themselves for the cavalade ping (in which case 1/1 or 2/1 is not a big difference in most cases) or it's the one mana nearly unblockable guy (in which case you're activating this on turn five or later for not a lot of effect since you probably only have one or two of those guys, and you've probably already lost)

it's got nearly no deckbuilding cost so it being useful 5% or less of the time isn't the worst thing in the world but its very rarely gonna do all that much

I think it's more useful than it looks in that deck. There'll be times where it lets you attack because blocks become bad, there'll be times where you don't get your other good payoff cards and this serves as some glue in the meantime. IDK if you can play the full 4, since curving out is important, but at least a couple seem very good.

Owlbear Camus posted:

The cards seem quite good, the mana pretty bad.

No Wave posted:

The green land is really good. Would green decks be better if everything over 5 mana cost 1 less? yes. You can also use it to cast two three drops.

If you're not monogreen and playing 1 mana accelerants or other green 1 drops, you probably can't afford to play this. And how much more often is it a discount than if it was a Forest for Nissa anyway?

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Lone Goat posted:

Tap 4 lands and pay a life to draw a swamp so you can pay a life and draw another card (hopefully a swamp) hell yeah I unironically love it.

Or it's removal with lifedrain. I mean you are hoping for a better peel but my point is the swampfall guy will be a nice role player in the shell. :shrug:

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
aren't there no 1 mana dorks in standard after this rotation

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Elyv posted:

oh whoops, in recompense I offer these spoilers

Sad that there wasn't enough room on the type line for "Human Bear Knight."

Tom Clancy is Dead
Jul 13, 2011

There are Gilded Goose and Arboreal Grazer.

Tulul
Oct 23, 2013

THAT SOUND WILL FOLLOW ME TO HELL.
You're forgetting Gilded Goose. Plus Arboreal Grazer, kind of.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

GoutPatrol posted:

My playground is very split on these. Half of us (me included) think they look really cool. The other half want them banned.

maybe stop polling middle schoolers on what's cool

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

This is how your posting feels.
🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥
People have some really high expectations for how much power they're supposed to jam into colored lands with a very easy ETB Untapped clause.

4 Mana: Draw a card is probably going to be eternal playable on a land that can just tap for B the rest of the time.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!

Tom Clancy is Dead posted:

If you're not monogreen and playing 1 mana accelerants or other green 1 drops, you probably can't afford to play this. And how much more often is it a discount than if it was a Forest for Nissa anyway?
"what if mono green doesnt have enough mana after casting nissa" is not a real concern.

You can absolutely afford to play it in mono green. It's free mana. 1-of for sure, 2-of probably, dont have to do much more.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Owlbear Camus posted:

That still means bears were a 2/2 for 2G, which is HILARIOUS. Imagine what we'd think of today's creatures if that was the standard template that went to print.

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010

Voyager I posted:

People have some really high expectations for how much power they're supposed to jam into colored lands with a very easy ETB Untapped clause.

4 Mana: Draw a card is probably going to be eternal playable on a land that can just tap for B the rest of the time.

yea by design they're only supposed to be relevant in a small % of games. that's seems fair considering how free the deckbuilding cost is in a mono-color deck.

it's like flagstones of trokair or eiganjo castle

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

To make yourself feel better, you make it so you'll never give in to your forevers and live for always.

Lipstick Apathy
I'm wondering what the card with the fancy Seb art that was teased a while back will be.

Draxion
Jun 9, 2013

No Wave posted:

"what if mono green doesnt have enough mana after casting nissa" is not a real concern.

You can absolutely afford to play it in mono green. It's free mana. 1-of for sure, 2-of probably, dont have to do much more.

The "downside" for it not being a forest after playing Nissa is basically just that it now basically taps for two mana just like all your other stuff, too

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo

Arivia posted:

maybe stop polling middle schoolers on what's cool

Just lmao if your school still has a playground. :cry:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ate My Balls Redux
Aug 2, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

I mean I don't give a gently caress about modern but here we are