Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Humerus
Jul 7, 2009

Rule of acquisition #111:
Treat people in your debt like family...exploit them.

The_Doctor posted:

Someone should be able to deepfake the red uniforms onto the TMP crew. That would improve the movie tenfold.

Oh something I noticed yesterday at the theater I'd never noticed before was how cheap the TMP uniforms look. A lot of the section patches weren't even sewed on all the way. And the colors and variation just make them look so bad, some have collars, some are open, long sleeve, short sleeve... it's like 6 costumers worked on this movie and never spoke to one another.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aoi
Sep 12, 2017

Perpetually a Pain.
They absolutely 100% look like pajamas to me every time I've ever seen them, as a child and now as an adult.

It's pretty distracting, and while I love the whole 'Starfleet is not a military organization' thing, and they arguably went a little too far in the other direction with the rest of the TOS movie uniforms looking like some sort of Space Master and Commander thing, the pajama look is taking things a bit too far in the non-organization way.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Humerus posted:

Yeah Star Trek would never have beings with godlike powers without explaining how or why they have those powers

It's more that the whole movie was in setting up this supernatural payoff, and then tries to pivot into saying that it's not supernatural without really giving any excuse beyond trust in the idea of a loving god.

Which is a nice sentiment to hang onto, but it's not sci-fi, and it's not like there haven't been religions where the central god was a jerk. They don't even try to play up the mystery of any of it, they just kinda drop everything and scoot away without bothering to even wonder what was up with all that. They pose this big question in the middle of the movie and then just forget about it.

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

SlothfulCobra posted:

without really giving any excuse beyond trust in the idea of a loving god.

"What does God need with a starship" doesn't have anything to do with being loving, though?

HorseLord
Aug 26, 2014
The worst part about the TMP uniforms is that having grown up in England, everyone looks like they're wearing old GPO telephone sockets on their stomach. It looks completely loving stupid.

I can get what they were trying to do with them, I understand that in a totally climate controlled space like a starship there's no need for any insulating properties and it's basically just a matter of modesty. But they went too far with the ridiculous ideas like zips would be obsolete because you'd beam your clothes on. Did Gene's dementia addled brain decide we don't piss in the future?

You got a lot of the same problems showed up in the TNG uniforms, but at least they eventually transitioned to shirts and pants instead of the weird spandex thing they started with, and then those horrid TNG movie things where they made lavender grimdark somehow.

The TWOK uniform is the peak. Dignified, versatile, practical.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

Roddenberry was very into the idea of the uniforms being made of future fabric.

I wish it was shown more in TNG but you can see it in Ensign Ro when she takes off the top part of her regular TNG style uniform like a jacket. So you can put them on/take them off like normal clothes but you just can't see where they open because future fabric.

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

The only problem with the space pajamas is the... package

Hipster_Doofus
Dec 20, 2003

Lovin' every minute of it.

Timby posted:

You aren't going to see the 4K cut in theaters until Paramount pays Daren Dochterman to re-render the CG assets. (And, pray God, pay him to fix the audio mix of The Director's Edition.) Dochterman owns the CG assets for The Director's Edition and he has said on many times that he is willing to re-render them at HD resolution, even 4K, but he's not doing that poo poo for free. Until then the only HD version we're going to have will be the Theatrical Edition.

Dochterman says that he's happy to re-do the CGI assets at a 4K-ready resolution, but then again, it's up to Paramount; no reason for him to do it for free.

There are cgi fx in tmp? I'd've thought it was all practical back then.

vvv OIC

Hipster_Doofus fucked around with this message at 20:05 on Sep 16, 2019

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer
The director's cut from the early 2000's has CGI scenes added but they were rendered in SD for the DVD.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

FuturePastNow posted:

The only problem with the space pajamas is the... package

No.

The colors are terrible.
The belt buckle sensor box is terrible.
The fit and cut is terrible.
The inconsistency is terrible.

The package is also terrible, I'll grant you.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

The_Doctor posted:

Someone should be able to deepfake the red uniforms onto the TMP crew. That would improve the movie tenfold.

Except for Bones inexplicably walking around in his disco jumpsuit and medallion.

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Ask me about Proposition 305

Do you like muskets?

Sash! posted:

Except for Bones inexplicably walking around in his disco jumpsuit and medallion.

He should have worn that the rest of the franchise.

Drink-Mix Man
Mar 4, 2003

You are an odd fellow, but I must say... you throw a swell shindig.

Senor Tron posted:

Quick and dirty:

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Timby posted:

Excellent score, excellent direction, excellent acting, excellent cinematography. It's not Shatner's fault that Loughery had a month to write the script after the WGA strike ended, that the Teamsters went on strike literally the day before the movie started shooting and that Bennett and Winter botched the negotiations for the special effects and chose a company that literally didn't have a motion-control rig big enough to handle the Enterprise model.

I don't like Final Frontier at all and overall they probably should have stopped at IV. VI especially is a senior citizen tour bus that's now four out past the movie where Kirk starts grappling with the idea that he's old. But all of the TOS movies are earnest attempts to be interesting movies with ideas. Definitely can't say that of the TNG movies, and the nu-TOS movies make me tired. So tired.

HorseLord
Aug 26, 2014
Have you ever considered that a film series which consistently shows old people with average appearances to be capable and heroic might be a good thing

HorseLord
Aug 26, 2014
Get these actors outta here, they're too old and fat to play a crew of old and fat 40-something year space veterans who're about to retire after the end of the mission. bring in some assholes with perfect skin and teeth like in normal movies

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

I too want films starring desiccated cadavers in space.

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

https://twitter.com/alexandertperry/status/1173776347086360577

Now I want to see Voyager edited with a live studio audience track.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Would watch the poo poo outta that, and pay CBS for the privilege.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Blade_of_tyshalle posted:

I too want films starring desiccated cadavers in space.

May I suggest one of my bona fide favorite films, Dark Star?

Hipster_Doofus
Dec 20, 2003

Lovin' every minute of it.

Pick posted:

May I suggest one of my bona fide favorite films, Dark Star?

"Let me tell you what I did before Halloween, Escape from New York, and The loving Thing."

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
You guys remember Past Tense?

https://twitter.com/jdawsey1/status/1174028929214140418

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer

Hahaha gently caress.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
Also in the near future:

https://twitter.com/thisismewhatevs/status/1173822675183161344

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

If this kid is 12 in 2019, he’ll be 56 in 2063.

James Cromwell was born in 1940, so he was 56 when he played Cochrane in First Contact.

:tinfoil::tinfoil::tinfoil:

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
But I don’t wanna go through WW3. :saddowns:

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

The_Doctor posted:

But I don’t wanna go through WW3. :saddowns:

You'll probably be incinerated within the first few seconds so you won't have to!

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Kibayasu posted:

You'll probably be incinerated within the first few seconds so you won't have to!

Maybe? World War III is so vaguely described, contradictory, and nonsensical.

Colonel Green is out there killing people with radiation sickness from post-exchange fallout in 2026, yet nuclear weapons are being used tactically in 2053? Inside CONUS at that, too, and the United States is known to have survived as a political entity until at least 2079. The 600 million death toll is, oddly enough, both too high and too low for virtually every nuclear warfare scenario. Either you sheer dumb luck your way into limited tactical uses and "only" have a few dozen million killed or you jump up to a billion plus.

Curiously, a 1961 assessment suggested a successful US nuclear strike on China would kill 600 million. Maybe someone really, really, really got the jump on China.

ashpanash
Apr 9, 2008

I can see when you are lying.

Yeah, as a strategy for warfare, an exchange of nuclear weapons is profoundly useless.

Nullsmack
Dec 7, 2001
Digital apocalypse

Sash! posted:

Maybe? World War III is so vaguely described, contradictory, and nonsensical.

Colonel Green is out there killing people with radiation sickness from post-exchange fallout in 2026, yet nuclear weapons are being used tactically in 2053? Inside CONUS at that, too, and the United States is known to have survived as a political entity until at least 2079. The 600 million death toll is, oddly enough, both too high and too low for virtually every nuclear warfare scenario. Either you sheer dumb luck your way into limited tactical uses and "only" have a few dozen million killed or you jump up to a billion plus.

Curiously, a 1961 assessment suggested a successful US nuclear strike on China would kill 600 million. Maybe someone really, really, really got the jump on China.

According to a quick google, that's when they had ~667 million. They have nearly 1.4 billion now so it'd probably be even more horrendous.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Sash! posted:

Colonel Green is out there killing people with radiation sickness from post-exchange fallout in 2026,

When did they say the year for him?

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Notice how China and chinese people in general have very little mention or appearance in trek...

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Or Indian. Awkward.

Closer to home, the eastern seaboard of the US obviously ate it. New York is absolutely gone.

1000 Brown M and Ms
Oct 22, 2008

F:\DL>quickfli 4-clowns.fli

Baronjutter posted:

Notice how China and chinese people in general have very little mention or appearance in trek...

What do you mean? Harry Kim was Chinese and he was a main character (or at least, Rick Berman thought he was Chinese)

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

1000 Brown M and Ms posted:

What do you mean? Harry Kim was Chinese and he was a main character (or at least, Rick Berman thought he was Chinese)

But it's a korean name .. what the gently caress. I guess I'll add "all asians are the same" to Rick Berman's vast list of sins.

Also here's a bonus BLESSED picture of Mr. Wang

Baronjutter fucked around with this message at 05:48 on Sep 18, 2019

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Baronjutter posted:

But it's a korean name .. what the gently caress. I guess I'll add "all asians are the same" to Rick Berman's vast list of sins.

Good self own since Garret Wang is ethnically Chinese. Wang isn't a Korean name. Wang Yizhan is his Chinese name, which I just learned.

E: Nice ninja edit, I'll give you this one.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Baronjutter posted:

Also here's a bonus BLESSED picture of Mr. Wang

Is that Tim Russ? Why does he look so rough? :ohdear:

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

He's 63!

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

The_Doctor posted:

Is that Tim Russ? Why does he look so rough? :ohdear:
He's smiling, which tends to show off all the lines in your face.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

MikeJF posted:

Or Indian. Awkward.

Closer to home, the eastern seaboard of the US obviously ate it. New York is absolutely gone.

Somehow Florida is still there, since that is where the Xindi attacked.