Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray

OxySnake posted:

The Patriots have been to the last two superbowls and are going to now go for a 4th time

the nfl as a whole seems like garbage right now. I'm not gonna lie, week 2 seriously shook my faith in this sport being worth my attention and time

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dre2Dee2
Dec 6, 2006

Just a striding through Kamen Rider...

Jiminy Christmas! Shoes! posted:

If you'd been in a coma for two years what would be the worst NFL news to wake up and find out about?

The entire NFL has degraded faster than Tom Brady's bones only making a next championship that much more of a foregone conclusion

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

Jiminy Christmas! Shoes! posted:

If you'd been in a coma for two years what would be the worst NFL news to wake up and find out about?

Andrew Luck retired before Tom Brady

King Hong Kong
Nov 6, 2009

For we'll fight with a vim
that is dead sure to win.

Play posted:

a bunch of lovely teams are gonna accrue decent win totals this year because nearly the entire nfl is garbage

But enough about the Patriots.

Impossibly Perfect Sphere
Nov 6, 2002

They wasted Luanne on Lucky!

She could of have been so much more but the writers just didn't care!

Darude - Adam Sandstorm posted:

Andrew Luck retired before Tom Brady

That probably wouldn't be too surprising considering the state of Andrew Luck two years ago.

Ches Neckbeard
Dec 3, 2005

You're all garbage, back up the truck BACK IT UP!
The league has been in a really poo poo spot for a while with maybe 3 QB's coming up during the literal decades of performance of the early 2k's QB's. Now 1 retired and the other looks not far behind him. All the old men are hitting the wall except Brady with not even a handful of replacement talents ready. It's REALLY highlighting just what a hard position it is to play on top of the parity problem.

Pron on VHS
Nov 14, 2005

Blood Clots
Sweat Dries
Bones Heal
Suck it Up and Keep Wrestling
I doubt it’s Kansas City for Ramsey

https://twitter.com/bynatetaylor/status/1174032925974659072?s=21

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Ches Neckbeard posted:

The league has been in a really poo poo spot for a while with maybe 3 QB's coming up during the literal decades of performance of the early 2k's QB's. Now 1 retired and the other looks not far behind him. All the old men are hitting the wall except Brady with not even a handful of replacement talents ready. It's REALLY highlighting just what a hard position it is to play on top of the parity problem.

Offensive lineman are also garbage. I really think this may have something to do with the poor offensive starts teams have managed; only the teams with the best O lines and O line coaches have been doing okay. The rest of them seemingly can't hold up against pass rush to save their lives

But yeah, this past year was really a golden age in terms of every team having a QB for themselves, with a mix of the old and the new guard. The old guy have already started dropping off though and there simply isn't enough talent to replace them adequately.

Ches Neckbeard
Dec 3, 2005

You're all garbage, back up the truck BACK IT UP!

Play posted:

Offensive lineman are also garbage. I really think this may have something to do with the poor offensive starts teams have managed; only the teams with the best O lines and O line coaches have been doing okay. The rest of them seemingly can't hold up against pass rush to save their lives

But yeah, this past year was really a golden age in terms of every team having a QB for themselves, with a mix of the old and the new guard. The old guy have already started dropping off though and there simply isn't enough talent to replace them adequately.

And the only solution to offensive line play is that position group someone being required to have more practice time which just aint happening. Which just leads to the league to handicapping defenses somehow. God that's going to end up being what the league tries to.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

The main problem is that there are nowhere near enough tackles that can play at an NFL level and that the coaching is loving bad.

The QB's are mostly fine, it's just that for every Patrick Mahomes falling into Andy Reid's loving embrace, there's a Mariota who was broken by a football troglodyte.

Seriously, go look at Jared Goff under Jeff Fisher compared to last year, or Dak Prescott now compared to what the Cowboys have done for... the past 15 years offensively.

The QB's are fine, the league just needs coaching worth a poo poo.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Kalli posted:

The main problem is that there are nowhere near enough tackles that can play at an NFL level and that the coaching is loving bad.

The QB's are mostly fine, it's just that for every Patrick Mahomes falling into Andy Reid's loving embrace, there's a Mariota who was broken by a football troglodyte.

Seriously, go look at Jared Goff under Jeff Fisher compared to last year, or Dak Prescott now compared to what the Cowboys have done for... the past 15 years offensively.

OK, I'll do that.

https://mobile.twitter.com/SethGalina/status/1173718035682738176

Dre2Dee2
Dec 6, 2006

Just a striding through Kamen Rider...

Kalli posted:

Yeah, coaching trees have died off more or less. Everyone off the Parcells tree has failed to make any successors.

Everyone is either old as gently caress, a college coach, or somebody's son.

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

You wore that on Halloween?

It's funny that no one else other then Belichick has countered this by shifting defenses past 15 seconds

Play
Apr 25, 2006

DariusLikewise posted:

It's funny that no one else other then Belichick has countered this by shifting defenses past 15 seconds

I've always thought defenses are way too static in that way. Like, if you run up to blitz but the quarterback doesn't snap it and clearly adjust the protections, why not refrain from blitzing that down to confuse them further? Why isn't the defense responding more actively to what they see from the offense? They're only allowed to do what the called play tells them to do which is a bit limiting imo

Also, if I was a quarterback I'd do the exact same thing. Let some guy sitting up in the booth who can see everything check it out and decide the best play to run. The less things I have to think about the better

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Play posted:

Also, if I was a quarterback I'd do the exact same thing. Let some guy sitting up in the booth who can see everything check it out and decide the best play to run. The less things I have to think about the better

The patriots have been doing that for years.

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

So Goff is... running plays called by a coach? What’s the issue here

Pron on VHS
Nov 14, 2005

Blood Clots
Sweat Dries
Bones Heal
Suck it Up and Keep Wrestling
no issue i suppose, that's how Troy Aikman played QB, do what you can

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!

AndrewP posted:

And making line and play adjustments called in by a coach. He’s a meatspace Madden character.

I’m not offended by it so much as how nobody else is recognizing and capitalizing on it.

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

AndrewP posted:

Most people expect it to go like this:

play caller gives the QB the play

QB gives the play to the team and the huddle breaks

QB gets to the line of scrimmage and reads the defense and makes the necessary adjustments

That tweet is claiming that Goff isn't doing that final step and instead just relies on McVay to do it for him

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

I'm just saying, if you think Goff is just a guy, then you should be even madder at coaching for not getting production like he had last year out of all the QB's just like him.

https://twitter.com/FO_ASchatz/status/1174036540932198400

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?
College football is to blame for the OL issue. They do little if nothing to develop the skills needed to translate to the NFL. Now it takes like 3-4 years to develop an average starter on the OL.

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

wandler20 posted:

College football is to blame for the OL issue. They do little if nothing to develop the skills needed to translate to the NFL. Now it takes like 3-4 years to develop an average starter on the OL.

And by that point, after probably 4 years in college, large numbers of them are already physically busted

Sour Diesel
Jan 30, 2010

footballoutsiders is garbage

D-LINK
Oct 1, 2007

I was talking to peachy Peach about kissy Kiss. He bought me a soda.
The oline problem in the NFL is why guys like Scarnecchia and Munchak pretty much get paid whatever the want

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Ehud posted:

Most people expect it to go like this:

play caller gives the QB the play

QB gives the play to the team and the huddle breaks

QB gets to the line of scrimmage and reads the defense and makes the necessary adjustments

That tweet is claiming that Goff isn't doing that final step and instead just relies on McVay to do it for him

I've seen him do checks well after the 15 second time limit, not that I think he's the sharpest tool in the shed but if you get to the line fast there's absolutely no reason to not have it handled by someone else, given how many things a quarterback needs to be thinking about before the play

For some reason I always feel compelled to defend Jared Goff. I think I need to talk to my therapist about that

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret

GD_American posted:

He’s a meatspace Madden character.

I initially read that as “meatspin Madden character” and started wondering what I’ve missed by not buying it the last few years...

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

wandler20 posted:

This line of thought is how you get some galaxy brain ideas from Tom Cable where we should convert college defensive linemen into offensive linemen.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
All the issues with team quality and offensive production is due to all these players kneeling for the anthem because they hate America.

Vince McMahon will Make Football Great Again.

Sour Diesel
Jan 30, 2010

Play posted:

I've seen him do checks well after the 15 second time limit, not that I think he's the sharpest tool in the shed but if you get to the line fast there's absolutely no reason to not have it handled by someone else

lmao what

Impossibly Perfect Sphere
Nov 6, 2002

They wasted Luanne on Lucky!

She could of have been so much more but the writers just didn't care!
I wonder if sometimes teams should just stick with a coach who is struggling. Maybe it takes 2-3 years to learn how to become a head coach.

Play
Apr 25, 2006

? what are you confuse about

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

If it's only for a night I can live without you
The young QB are functionally stupid compared to the guys coming in a few years ago. Part of the problem is college coaches are dont teach them poo poo, and then you got troglodyte idiots in the NFL like brian schottenheimer and jeff fisher who don't teach them either.

Calling plays and audibles at the line is a semi lost art as a result.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

DVOA is updated, and it's pretty great: https://www.footballoutsiders.com/stats/teameff/2019

Top 5 offenses: Cowboys, Chiefs, Ravens, Patriots, Washington
Top 5 defenses: Patriots, 49ers, Packers, Buccaneers, Rams

Packers have by far the worst offense of the top 10 teams, and they most closely resemble the Bears.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Kalli posted:

Packers have by far the worst offense of the top 10 teams, and they most closely resemble the Bears.

How much of that is because they played the Bears and the Vikings defenses their first two weeks? Does DVOA take quality of opponent in account?

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

SKULL.GIF posted:

How much of that is because they played the Bears and the Vikings defenses their first two weeks? Does DVOA take quality of opponent in account?

Not until *after* week 4

AndrewP fucked around with this message at 21:13 on Sep 17, 2019

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

You wore that on Halloween?
Rams being the 9th offense and 5th defense in DVOA is not what I expect but it's acceptable

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

Classic Ravens, relying on Justin Tucker and a top 5... offense???

I am enjoying this strange new world

PupsOfWar
Dec 6, 2013

weird that there are people who think eli won't get into the Hall

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

SKULL.GIF posted:

Yeah, over time it'll even itself out, opponent quality starts being factored in in week 4, but isn't up to full strength until like week 10.

Also lol at Case Keenum's statline through two games. Man, the Vikings should try to get a guy like that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?

Kalli posted:

DVOA is updated, and it's pretty great: https://www.footballoutsiders.com/stats/teameff/2019

Top 5 offenses: Cowboys, Chiefs, Ravens, Patriots, Washington
Top 5 defenses: Patriots, 49ers, Packers, Buccaneers, Rams

Todd Bowles is a wizard.