Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

This card is going to be ridonco in any decent adventure deck.

Oh lord...this is just waiting to get broken.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Holy crap that statline

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

It's both thrilling and terrifying.

AlternateNu posted:

Oh lord...this is just waiting to get broken.

Which part? Granted is just a much more conditional Mastermind's Acquisition, which only ended up seeing some fringe play in Standard.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

NEVER FUCKING TAKE A NIGHT OFF CLAN WARS.

TheKingofSprings posted:

Holy crap that statline

Yeah, a 1/4 flying for 1U is not the worst right?

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

Hellsau posted:

Yeah, a 1/4 flying for 1U is not the worst right?

The stormiest crow

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

qbert posted:

Which part? Granted is just a much more conditional Mastermind's Acquisition, which only ended up seeing some fringe play in Standard.

Both?

Teferi exists, you can do this at instant speed and then you can bounce the Fairy with Tef to do the whole thing all over again ignoring the insane value already present on both halves

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

TheKingofSprings posted:

Both?

Teferi exists, you can do this at instant speed and then you can bounce the Fairy with Tef to do the whole thing all over again ignoring the insane value already present on both halves

Sure you can cast it at instant speed but then you still have to cast the creature before you can bounce with Teferi to do it again.

I'm not denying that the effect is useful, I'm just saying I played against decks where people were recurring Mastermind's Acquisition with Tamiyo in this Standard and those decks were doing some crazy poo poo but ultimately weren't good enough to have any real effect on the format.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

So like, Mastermind's Acquisition was already technically playable in best-of-1, and that card did nothing until quite late in the game. This card can't go through your library or get creatures, but also you can just play a 1/4 flying blocker on turn 2, and that's some incredible utility for a best-of-1 control deck.

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

Hellsau posted:

So like, Mastermind's Acquisition was already technically playable in best-of-1, and that card did nothing until quite late in the game. This card can't go through your library or get creatures, but also you can just play a 1/4 flying blocker on turn 2, and that's some incredible utility for a best-of-1 control deck.

I agree that 1/4 Flying for 1U is the best thing about the card for sure.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

qbert posted:

Sure you can cast it at instant speed but then you still have to cast the creature before you can bounce with Teferi to do it again.

I'm not denying that the effect is useful, I'm just saying I played against decks where people were recurring Mastermind's Acquisition with Tamiyo in this Standard and those decks were doing some crazy poo poo but ultimately weren't good enough to have any real effect on the format.

Mastermind’s Acquisition was a very slow card and was dead much of the time, this is very rarely completely dead

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese

A Moose posted:

first of all, mono-green ramp isn't a thing because all the payoffs from ramping are things like mass manipulation, hydroid krasis, electrodominance, explosion, all the finales, Chandra, Lilliana, Ugin,Nissa, and golos. They made a ramp card that is super bad at ramping. What non-krasis creatures are you ramping into with that? Its a forest you can't fetch.

Voracious Hydra & Finale of Devastation (though granted with Ghalta gone there aren't so many good targets for it)

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

Fae of Wishes:Cunning Wish::Lucky Clover:Mirari

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

qbert posted:

It is going to single-handedly fuel a wishboard combo deck at some point.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer

This is spicy in limited. There's usually something useful in your pool that you're not playing, so this grabs that potential 24th card and/or is a 1/4 flier for 1U which is definitely playable.

Tulul
Oct 23, 2013

THAT SOUND WILL FOLLOW ME TO HELL.

MikeCrotch posted:

Voracious Hydra & Finale of Devastation (though granted with Ghalta gone there aren't so many good targets for it)

End-Raze Forerunners was already better than Ghalta for Finale purposes, imo. The difference between a 22 and 17 power isn't usually relevant and it gives anything else you have trample, so you can still win with whatever else you have if they have chump blockers and removal ready.

PJOmega
May 5, 2009

neaden posted:

Why is that Shepherd stronger at attacking then a knight? It seems weird to call out that he doesn't have a sword but he can kill an elephant.

It's because he's a German Shepherd. And Cathar's Companion shows that 3/1 is the statline for a Good Boy. All German shepherds are good boys.

moush
Aug 19, 2009

Rage Your Dream
I'm stoked, Mastermind's Acquisition was one of my favorite cards in standard.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

LifeLynx posted:

This is spicy in limited. There's usually something useful in your pool that you're not playing, so this grabs that potential 24th card and/or is a 1/4 flier for 1U which is definitely playable.

How many constructed playable Adventure cards do there seem to be so far in Blue, White and Black?

sit on my Facebook
Jun 20, 2007

ASS GAS OR GRASS
No One Rides for FREE
In the Trumplord Holy Land
That card is loving absurd in any deck that also contains Teferi Time Raveler

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

This card seems insane. Anything that lets you copy and get free spells for 2 CMC is gonna see play. And it's even at uncommon which blows my mind.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

sit on my Facebook posted:

That card is loving absurd in any deck that also contains Teferi Time Raveler

It’s literally just an unrestricted Cunning Wish at that point and he curves into it on 3

If you play him on 5 you can cast the Fairy then bounce it to rebuy the wish

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

LifeLynx posted:

It's cute in a control deck, the front half is a good blocker to slow the game down

If you have this, you should try to draft a couple real hefty impactful spells that you'd be happy to wish for in a board stall / topdeck war.

A Moose
Oct 22, 2009

I can't wait for arena's Bo1 queue to degenerate to "red deck" "anti-red deck control" and "anti-control-maximum-greed-wishboard control" exactly like it was at the mythic invitational. Just those 3 decks rock paper scissoring each other into oblivion. faerie is going to break Bo1 over its knee, because now you can splash that in any deck that can add a few blue sources

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo

A Moose posted:

first of all, mono-green ramp isn't a thing because all the payoffs from ramping are things like mass manipulation, hydroid krasis, electrodominance, explosion, all the finales, Chandra, Lilliana, Ugin,Nissa, and golos. They made a ramp card that is super bad at ramping. What non-krasis creatures are you ramping into with that? Its a forest you can't fetch.
I felt this way too, for a long time even, and I recently went 3-0 in modern running 3 Ghitu Encampment and 18 Mountain so :shrug:.

A Moose posted:

"red maximum-greed aggro"
:yum: My decks are so enjoyable.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

A Moose posted:

I can't wait for arena's Bo1 queue to degenerate to "red deck" "anti-red deck control" and "anti-control-maximum-greed-wishboard control" exactly like it was at the mythic invitational. Just those 3 decks rock paper scissoring each other into oblivion. faerie is going to break Bo1 over its knee, because now you can splash that in any deck that can add a few blue sources

That's basically the shittiness of bo1. Bo1 is always going to be incredibly polarized.

moush
Aug 19, 2009

Rage Your Dream
BO3 honestly isn't much different. You're either aggro or control because the only viable midrange deck is scapeshift.

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo

moush posted:

BO3 honestly isn't much different. You're either aggro or control because the only viable midrange deck is scapeshift.

Oh no, the reason I'm aggro is that I'm both poor and cheap and refuse to spend money on Arena.

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016

moush posted:

Yeah T3feri and Field of the Dead have been a huge one two punch for midrange decks in the format

shades of blue
Sep 27, 2012
fae of wishes is not a constructed playable magic card

all of the castles are good cards and will see play. green is the most questionable one of the lot but theres probably some six mana green fatty that will be extremely good alongside it and so it will end up being the best one.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
I wish upon a butt....

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

Sampatrick posted:

Never count out a wishboard, even if, well,

There's not much to wish for in this format. :v:

shades of blue
Sep 27, 2012

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

Never count out a wishboard, even if, well,

There's not much to wish for in this format. :v:

if it sees play its going to be in some asinine combo deck thats going to drive me insane

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

Sampatrick posted:

all of the castles are good cards and will see play. green is the most questionable one of the lot but theres probably some six mana green fatty that will be extremely good alongside it and so it will end up being the best one.

Also I don't know why no one has pointed out that you don't need to cast a 6-drop with the green castle. Like, casting 2 3-drops or a 4-drop and 2-drop a turn early is also perfectly reasonable and good.

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

This is how your posting feels.
🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥
Fae of Wishes feels like it's going to be very context-sensitive so it's hard to fully evaluate. 4 mana for a sorcery-speed Wish isn't generally a constructed-quality card (Karn tGC sees only fringe play in the format where you actually have to tap four lands to cast him), but being able to play it early as an acceptable blocker makes it less punishing to have in your hand at the wrong times and the effect can potentially be powerful.

I don't think it's going to be a windmill slam into generic Ux shells, but I also wouldn't be surprised if there ended up being a deck that wanted it at some point.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

Sampatrick posted:

easy quote

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

I thought having so many wish effects in standard was not wanted because that means BO1 will need full sideboards?

Tulul
Oct 23, 2013

THAT SOUND WILL FOLLOW ME TO HELL.
The three different playable wishes in Standard would indicate they're doing a bad job of it, if that's what they want.

Also IIRC they said part of the reason for the resurgence of obvious hate cards (Veil of Summer et al.) was to make sideboarding a little easier for new players.

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

GoutPatrol posted:

I thought having so many wish effects in standard was not wanted because that means BO1 will need full sideboards?

IMO Wizards should be doing more, not less, to encourage players on Arena to get used to sideboarding. It's a pretty integral part of the game.

It's weird you can climb to the top of the Constructed ladder without ever learning how to sideboard.

President Ark
May 16, 2010

:iiam:

axeil posted:

This card seems insane. Anything that lets you copy and get free spells for 2 CMC is gonna see play. And it's even at uncommon which blows my mind.

also it isn't legendary so you can have more than one and unless i'm misreading this (which is entirely possible) it works and you'd get multiple spell copies

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The American Dream
Mar 1, 2007
Don't Forget My Balls
2 of the stores I bought magic from as a kid were started as sports cards only. With a corner of the store dedicated to magic, then eventually Star Trek, Star Wars, some games that probably only had 1-3 sets released and failed. Both of those went out of business.

the one in my small hometown was a front for bookmaking and Coke. I was there when the cops raided the place right after school. Why they decided to do it at 3 pm, instead of anytime before 2:30 never made sense.

The comic book shop in the closest city was probably the first in the area to carry magic. Comics, war game miniatures, fantasy/sci fi/horror novels. Back then the only place you could get shirts with comic book/Star Wars characters on them outside of the children’s section of clothing stores was at comic book stores.