Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

Earwicker posted:

nah it just wouldnt match the aesthetics of the world as much. someone getting flattened and reinflating though doesnt really seem much different from someone getting cut in half by a laser sword and then immediately disappearing and then coming back later as a ghost

Maybe the arguing about Star Wars thread isn’t for you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

Applewhite posted:

Maybe the arguing about Star Wars thread isn’t for you.

im sorry for disagreeing with you but i dont know what to tell you. ill drop it

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

Chomp8645 posted:

My prediction for the next movie: they're gonna "kill" Phasma for a third time and she still won't be dead after that!

Phasma was Palpatine in disguise.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Applewhite posted:

Phasma was Palpatine in disguise.

That would check out actually. Abrams seemed determine to ape every single possible aspect of the OT, and they did throw Phamsa down a Death Star shaft.

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

Ultra Carp

Earwicker posted:

nah it just wouldnt match the aesthetics of the world as much. someone getting flattened and reinflating though doesnt really seem much different from someone getting cut in half by a laser sword and then immediately disappearing and then coming back later as a ghost. i dont really get how you dont see that both of those things are ridiculous

Hell, darth maul got cut in half, fell down a well, then came back alive with spider legs

RaySmuckles
Oct 14, 2009

:vapes:
Grimey Drawer
:69snypa:

star wars bad

Kazak
Jan 10, 2012

RaySmuckles posted:

:69snypa:

star wars bad

Great shot kid! One in a million!

poisonpill
Nov 8, 2009

The only way to get huge fast is to insult a passing witch and hope she curses you with Beast-strength.

What if Luke, but like.... Bigger Luke???

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
some sort of... llukkee?

Laterite
Mar 14, 2007

It's Gutfest '89
Grimey Drawer
Lukkake

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

Oh come on now.

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
I've got a never before seen leak from SWIX screenplay!!!

Dark Ray enters the scene looking evil. She glowers at Kylo and uses force on him forcefully

Kylo: This power! Your dark force is turning me into a two dimensional being! I am literally being smothered, Ray!

Kylo flattens out into a flat image, cringing painfully.

Lordshmee
Nov 23, 2007

I hate you, Milkman Dan
Remember me, Kylo? When I killed your brother??? I talked just. Like. THIS!!!

Nice Guy Patron
Jun 29, 2015
Star wars was a holodeck simulation on the Enterprise D this whole time.

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

my dog died im sad posted:

Star wars was a holodeck simulation on the Enterprise D this whole time.

"Computer, create a franchise capable of defeating this one."

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

Chomp8645 posted:

That would check out actually. Abrams seemed determine to ape every single possible aspect of the OT, and they did throw Phamsa down a Death Star shaft.

Actually it would almost be cool if there were more than one Phasma (because clones) and there were a scene in IX where Finn confronts Phasma and is like “how are you not dead??” and then a second, third and fourth Phasma step out of the shadows, surrounding him.

... and then they gently caress.

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

Applewhite posted:

Actually it would almost be cool if there were more than one Phasma (because clones) and there were a scene in IX where Finn confronts Phasma and is like “how are you not dead??” and then a second, third and fourth Phasma step out of the shadows, surrounding him.

Change it to one Phasma, four Finns and a baker's dozen of Poes and you have yourself a deal.

Nice Guy Patron
Jun 29, 2015
Phasma is such a cool looking character. Why hasn't she been used more? Did they plan to?

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

Colonel Cancer posted:

I've got a never before seen leak from SWIX screenplay!!!

Dark Ray enters the scene looking evil. She glowers at Kylo and uses force on him forcefully

Kylo: This power! Your dark force is turning me into a two dimensional being! I am literally being smothered, Ray!

Kylo flattens out into a flat image, cringing painfully.

Fat Commander Riker straightens out his uniform and grins smugly, leaving the holodeck hand in hand with Barclay

Kazak
Jan 10, 2012

Computer, load fat alien booby milk program

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

Ultra Carp

Applewhite posted:

:gizz:

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

Applewhite posted:

All I said was it bugged me that there were no space suits in a movie about outer space that has not otherwise established that space doesn’t require them in this setting (a-la Treasure Planet). People are acting like I’m going full magic xylophone.

well something has to carry the sound waves from all those space explosions

Saalkin
Jun 29, 2008

Phasma is such a cool looking character. Why hasn't she been used more? Did they plan to?

They didn't plan anything!

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

Son of Sam-I-Am posted:

well something has to carry the sound waves from all those space explosions

Lumiferous Aether

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

Apparently they filmed a lot of footage of Phasma actually taking part in the movie and poo poo. Gwendoline Christie did a bunch of pre-release interviews talking about how cool a character she was, how badass she was, and how fun it was to be in a Star Wars movie (you could tell she was super pumped). Then they edit it some more, cut a few of her scenes, edit some more, cut some more. . . by the time it hit theaters, she had a scant 1:45 of screen time, which was 15 second less than Snoke, who was literally on the phone. Post-release interviews you can tell she's forcing her smile, but seems hopeful that her character will have her time to shine in the sequel. . . TLJ 1:45

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
You know one interesting thing about the First Order? They're much less visibly racist and sexist than the empire. Within the first scene of TLJ alone there's multiple female and nonwhite FO officers. Tokenism? Ok sure, but the imperial starfleet had absolutely none of that.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

skasion posted:

You know one interesting thing about the First Order? They're much less visibly racist and sexist than the empire. Within the first scene of TLJ alone there's multiple female and nonwhite FO officers. Tokenism? Ok sure, but the imperial starfleet had absolutely none of that.

i may be misremembering but in my mind neither the empire nor FO had any non-humans at all, whereas the rebellion and resistance have many, but i also dont remember that actually being addressed at any point

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Earwicker posted:

i may be misremembering but in my mind neither the empire nor FO had any non-humans at all, whereas the rebellion and resistance have many, but i also dont remember that actually being addressed at any point

In ANH and ESB there are no aliens in either the rebellion or the empire, everyone on both teams is (white) human or a robot (except Chewie). It‘s suggested in dialogue that imperial officers are fairly contemptuous towards nonhumans as a rule and though there is no overt acknowledgement of the fact, every single imperial we see is a white man. ROTJ adds some aliens to the rebel forces like Ackbar and Lando’s copilot, as well as as women not named Leia and nonwhite people.

The very pluralistic society shown in the prequels contrasts sharply and obviously with this, but usually the only thing people notice about this is when Lucas appears to be employing racial stereotypes in his aliens.

The Resistance is as equal-opportunity as the ROTJ rebels, no surprise there. Which is why the First Order not being all white guys is relatively odd.

dudeness
Mar 5, 2010

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
Fallen Rib

skasion posted:

In ANH and ESB there are no aliens in either the rebellion or the empire, everyone on both teams is (white) human or a robot (except Chewie). It‘s suggested in dialogue that imperial officers are fairly contemptuous towards nonhumans as a rule and though there is no overt acknowledgement of the fact, every single imperial we see is a white man. ROTJ adds some aliens to the rebel forces like Ackbar and Lando’s copilot, as well as as women not named Leia and nonwhite people.

The very pluralistic society shown in the prequels contrasts sharply and obviously with this, but usually the only thing people notice about this is when Lucas appears to be employing racial stereotypes in his aliens.

The Resistance is as equal-opportunity as the ROTJ rebels, no surprise there. Which is why the First Order not being all white guys is relatively odd.

Bothans died to bring us this information.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

dudeness posted:

Bothans died to bring us this information.

Good thing for our creature effects budget that they did, too.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

skasion posted:

In ANH and ESB there are no aliens in either the rebellion or the empire, everyone on both teams is (white) human or a robot (except Chewie). It‘s suggested in dialogue that imperial officers are fairly contemptuous towards nonhumans as a rule and though there is no overt acknowledgement of the fact, every single imperial we see is a white man.

didn't they also retcon it so that the stormtroopers were clones of a maori dude? (i mean obviously not maori in the context of the star wars universe but jango fett wasnt white)

i thought there were random aliens in the rebellion in the earlier movies but i think my brain was just assuming ackbar et al were always in the background

Kazak
Jan 10, 2012

Ensign Crusher, set course for any starbase as far away from the nagging rebellion terrorists as possible... engage

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Earwicker posted:

didn't they also retcon it so that the stormtroopers were clones of a maori dude? (i mean obviously not maori in the context of the star wars universe but jango fett wasnt white)

The clone troopers were, but it’s never really indicated in any of the movies that the clone troopers in the prequels were literally the stormtroopers in the original movies. By the time of TFA, they’re obviously “recruiting” stormtroopers from the general population.

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

Gen pop stormtroopers

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

skasion posted:

It‘s suggested in dialogue that imperial officers are fairly contemptuous towards nonhumans as a rule and though there is no overt acknowledgement of the fact, every single imperial we see is a white man.

They are all white men true, but that was essentially every non-Leia combatant on both sides prior to ROTJ. But.. do any Imperial officers ever actually voice disdain for non-humans? Like, in the films, not in any supplementary source. When I read your post my immediate reaction was agreement, but I can't actually think of an example now that I'm trying. The only thing that comes to mind is Piett referring to the bounty hunters as scum, but that could just be because, well... they are bounty hunters. And at least two of the hunters he's referring to are human anyway.

e: Ok there is the detention block guy contemptuously referring to Chewie as a "thing". Is that it or is there anything else?

Meme Poker Party fucked around with this message at 04:24 on Sep 18, 2019

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Disney should shake things up and introduce Galactus into the Star Wars universe imo. See how the loving jedi deal with that poo poo

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

DeadFatDuckFat posted:

Disney should shake things up and introduce Galactus into the Star Wars universe imo. See how the loving jedi deal with that poo poo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JYNDssdsVnM

Cosmik Slop
Oct 9, 2007

What's a hole doing in my TARDIS?

Chomp8645 posted:

My prediction for the next movie: they're gonna "kill" Phasma for a third time and she still won't be dead after that!

I literally cannot tell you the first thing about this character other than "shiny armor, woman". It's almost amazing what a complete null they've created.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Merdle
Oct 17, 2007

THE GREAT MANBABY SUCCESSOR

Cosmik Slop posted:

I literally cannot tell you the first thing about this character other than "shiny armor, woman". It's almost amazing what a complete null they've created.

The only thing better than her is all of the marketing materials surrounding her that means dick all