Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

Infinity Gaia posted:

I feel like 160 is basically the F2P cap in AFK Arena. To get past it would require... An absolutely ridiculous amount of stuff, and a lot of luck, especially since blue heroes cap out there.

Yeah, this is where I am now, and im almost at the point of giving up. I am a couple of levels off getting 5 160s though, so that will open up my brutus and nemorah for use, so maybe that will help, but getting anyone past that looks like a fuckton of time away. Maybe time to move on to the next game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CompeAnansi
Feb 1, 2011

I respectfully decline
the invitation to join
your hallucination
Yeah, the cap at 160 is the reason I quit months ago. You either need to whale at that point or play for a long time without much discernable progress before you can proceed again.

valuum
Sep 3, 2003
ø
Aww that sucks, I've been enjoying the game. I just got my first leg+ and will be approaching the "limit".

Roid666
Jul 18, 2010
Anybody playing Ulala? https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.xdg.and.wll&hl=en

It's a semi idler, which I'm having fun with.

Roid666 fucked around with this message at 12:18 on Sep 18, 2019

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Afk arena has leveled up so 5 spots up for grabs.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Roid666 posted:

Anybody playing Ulala? https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.xdg.and.wll&hl=en

I'm holding out for Space Michael

Dragongem
Nov 9, 2009

Heroes of the Storm
Goon Tournament Champion

Roid666 posted:

I'm playing it, since AFK Arena and Hero Park are both semi ir-regular checkers. It's nothing special for an idle game (though it is cute), but the whole gimmick of working with 3 other people is interesting.

tater_salad posted:

I'll jump into the goon AFK Arena guild finally. I'm Dragongem ingame; I'll apply after my timer is up.

Also the true f2p wall is like... 200ish. I've played for a little over 5 months and now I'm stuck in the "waiting for powder and praying for Belinda drops". Of course, Lilith keeps introducing new heroes for the whales while not helping us randoms out with powder.

Sleekly
Aug 21, 2008

tater_salad posted:

Make that six. Game has reached the wall for me.

m.hache
Dec 1, 2004

Fun Shoe
Is there a good match game like Puzzles and Dragons out there that isn't Puzzles and Dragons?

I keep seeing ads for Legendary: Game of Heroes and it looks "fun".

EDIT: Also been playing this game. It's stupid fun so far https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.physics.sim.game.box&hl=en_CA

Lots of ads though.

Trastion
Jul 24, 2003
The one and only.

explosivo posted:

Man, this is seriously just AdVenture Communist (and probably capitalist?) with a harder to use UI.

Yeah it is just another of that type of game. The interface isn't that bad once you get used to the changes a bit.

If you click on the birds you don't have to watch the video, you get the left cash for clicking and the right amount if you watch the video.

The events, one just ended yesterday at 4pm EST, are the same thing but slightly different and you are competing against other players for placement to get bigger prizes. Gives a little more to it that way.

Also after you move up a few locations on the main map remember to go to the Map in the bottom menu. There you will find the previous places marked as completed and you can claim a bunch of people and pies.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

NPR Journalizard posted:

Yeah, this is where I am now, and im almost at the point of giving up. I am a couple of levels off getting 5 160s though, so that will open up my brutus and nemorah for use, so maybe that will help, but getting anyone past that looks like a fuckton of time away. Maybe time to move on to the next game.
I'm having a tough enough time getting to L+ by merging blues, I can't break the 140 barrier. But I still feel like I'm slowly getting closer thanks to the gradual trickle of gems and from ascending the free pulls you get from the guild and dailies.

I'm getting to the point though of logging in, doing my dailies and thinking 'Ugh, is that it?' This is normally the harbinger of the apocalypse for ongoing games, where I realise I'm just logging in for the exact mix of habit and sunk-cost fallacy devs rely on, and i'm just logging in for the rewards and kind of resent actually playing the game.

Don't get me wrong, AFK has been fun and I've enjoyed playing it, and I've played it for a decent length of time. It's at it's most fun when you have a team of elite / purples, so that whenever you get a new character from a 10 pull you can try it out in your lineup straight away.

But once you get past legendary / yellow you kind of need to focus on one team, and in my case that team is not optimal because it's whatever I was able to ascend. Estrilda, Henrik, Belinda, Nemora and Lyca. Nemora is great. Henrik and Belinda are ok. Lyca is supposed to be top tier but I'm not seeing it, and Estrilda is only at L+ because I happened to get enough drops to ascend her.

Best afk advice I can offer is to keep an Ira hanging around. Once you get to 41 and her attacks cause bleed, she becomes terrifyingly effective up to 160, like almost Shemira levels of passive DPS.

Flimf
Sep 3, 2006

tater_salad posted:

applied as BogdeathSA

edit: or will in an hour i guess.

Tsietisin
Jul 2, 2004

Time passes quickly on the weekend.

m.hache posted:

Is there a good match game like Puzzles and Dragons out there that isn't Puzzles and Dragons?

I keep seeing ads for Legendary: Game of Heroes and it looks "fun".

EDIT: Also been playing this game. It's stupid fun so far https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.physics.sim.game.box&hl=en_CA

Lots of ads though.

I've played a lot of Gems of War. There's a seperaye thread if you want to give that a go. There are no adverts at all and if you join a guild you should never have to ever buy premium currency.

m.hache
Dec 1, 2004

Fun Shoe

Tsietisin posted:

I've played a lot of Gems of War. There's a seperaye thread if you want to give that a go. There are no adverts at all and if you join a guild you should never have to ever buy premium currency.

Found the thread and I'll give it a go.

Thanks

hundredseven
May 29, 2013
I will apply in one hour to AFK as Postumo

candide
Jun 16, 2002

The Tipping Point
Applied to AFK as anime

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

Hold a spot for meep, I'll apply once my timer is up.

Meydey
Dec 31, 2005
I'm stuck at the lvl 200 ftp wall now, mainly because 201+ requires all heroes in crystal to be min 180. I'm actually thinking of feeding a Leg+ Nemora to 180 Red Tasi to get her to 200. 200 Tasi/200 Shemeria would own on the back line.

WerrWaaa
Nov 5, 2008

I can make all your dreams come true.
AFK: I'm approaching 200 on a few characters as an F2P player. Everything is kind of a road block; right now it's hero exp and blue heroes to eat. I'm slowly working on every set of resources, though, in a very afk way implied by the name. I do wish I could jump forward a little bit, but not enough to spend money. If I did spend, though, it would be on the Regal Rewards unlock, because that's a heck of a lot of purple pulls for the cost. You will afk past the walls, just farm for a while.

tildes
Nov 16, 2018
Thank you for all the tips on lineup, just shuffling my power ups to the right heroes took me quite a ways. I’ll try and get into the guild as anamehere once my timer is up but may miss it

Arms_Akimbo
Sep 29, 2006

It's so damn...literal.
Applied to afk as WharfRat

WerrWaaa
Nov 5, 2008

I can make all your dreams come true.
Ok I think I've confirmed everyone in the AFK guild. If "anamehere" is a goon I missed it, sorry. We are full up at the moment, with a few people at 3 days out, so it'll be a bit before more spots open.

WerrWaaa fucked around with this message at 23:37 on Sep 18, 2019

Shwqa
Feb 13, 2012

Roid666 posted:

Yeah I'm playing right now and I'm 99% on the season 3 race. It has a lot more depth than I expect to it. For like the first two days you can't do poo poo though.

Like I have to move around my build every single boss fight. Boss that stun I need to silence at the right time. Boss with minions I need to go AoE. Boss that shield I need to have pierce abilities right after the shield.

The big tip I got for people is to use your starfish on money and the pet expeditions and maybe the black market.

And because you can change your team member skills and pets you can really customize each boss fight.

It seems like warlock, assassin, any healer, any tank is the best team but I'm mage and doing pretty well.

Shwqa fucked around with this message at 00:04 on Sep 19, 2019

m.hache
Dec 1, 2004

Fun Shoe
Is there an advantage to running as a team? I'm a LVL 6 warlock in ulala.

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

WerrWaaa posted:

Ok I think I've confirmed everyone in the AFK guild. If "anamehere" is a goon I missed it, sorry. We are full up at the moment, with a few people at 3 days out, so it'll be a bit before more spots open.

Nah, im done. One spot free. Enjoy peeps, its been fun.

Suntan Boy
May 27, 2005
Stained, dirty, smells like weed, possibly a relic from the sixties.

Talran posted:

Just a heads up, we've got another goon guild set up in Epic 7 that we're trying to stuff with newer players, and still have some 11 slots with another 8 left to unlock.

Guild name is LLJK, and the discord link is the same as the old which if it's expired for any reason the following will work: https://discord.gg/fSWQeDs

This game is very, very anime, and the tutorials are not great.

So naturally I've applied as McSharts.

Kegslayer
Jul 23, 2007

Roid666 posted:

Yeees. Ulala is my new crack.

At first glance it looks like a very basic idle game with dinosaurs but the gameplay itself is suprisingly complex.

You either get ahead by waiting until you level and can outright DPS through the boss's mechanics or you spend time to customise your entire team's skills and pets to take advantage of elemental buffs and time your teammate's interrupts/silence/aoe so you can stop when the boss does a gently caress off move or burn down the ads when they appear etc. There's an actual menu showing your dps and the action timer so you can micromanage everyone to your heart's content.

It's as chill or as involved as you want it to be which is a pretty cool design.

You also get a space for an alt every ten levels so you can try new characters without making another account and yes, you can group all your characters together.

There's no intrusive IAP or ads, the gatcha is in skills but even that's not that big a deal because the skills themselves (which drop easily) are more important than the rarity of the skill. It's also super public play friendly, there's no anime or underaged girls in bikinis as well which is a huge plus for me.

The only con about it is that you need an active group to climb ahead or you're just going to be forever dumping teams and that none of this poo poo ever gets explained. The game just assume you get your information from somewhere or that you're actively pressing buttons to see what everything does.

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

oh good poo poo, i just started on this game so info dump away please

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.
I like the Monster Hunter vibe it has going for it. I might try it

Dodoman
Feb 26, 2009

A moment of laxity
A lifetime of regret
Lipstick Apathy
The new afk arena update seems good outside of the new heroes. Hopefully the guild base thing doesn't turn into some weird clash of clans clone.

CompeAnansi
Feb 1, 2011

I respectfully decline
the invitation to join
your hallucination
We made a thread for Epic Seven, so if anyone wants to talk about the game, please hop on this thread (and join discord): https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3899108

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Kegslayer posted:

At first glance it looks like a very basic idle game with dinosaurs but the gameplay itself is suprisingly complex.

You either get ahead by waiting until you level and can outright DPS through the boss's mechanics or you spend time to customise your entire team's skills and pets to take advantage of elemental buffs and time your teammate's interrupts/silence/aoe so you can stop when the boss does a gently caress off move or burn down the ads when they appear etc. There's an actual menu showing your dps and the action timer so you can micromanage everyone to your heart's content.

It's as chill or as involved as you want it to be which is a pretty cool design.

You also get a space for an alt every ten levels so you can try new characters without making another account and yes, you can group all your characters together.

There's no intrusive IAP or ads, the gatcha is in skills but even that's not that big a deal because the skills themselves (which drop easily) are more important than the rarity of the skill. It's also super public play friendly, there's no anime or underaged girls in bikinis as well which is a huge plus for me.

The only con about it is that you need an active group to climb ahead or you're just going to be forever dumping teams and that none of this poo poo ever gets explained. The game just assume you get your information from somewhere or that you're actively pressing buttons to see what everything does.

EDIT for bolding: I find this is exactly how Egg Inc operates. There's so much unexplained poo poo in there that you have to go to a wiki or the subreddit (or here) for.

Might ulala finally replace Egg Inc as my go-to 'just a couple minutes here and there' game?

I'm going to find out.

Rupert Buttermilk fucked around with this message at 12:11 on Sep 19, 2019

Deformed Church
May 12, 2012

5'5", IQ 81

Kegslayer posted:

you can group all your characters together.

How do you do this?

Also yeah holy poo poo this game doesn't explain anything much. I'm so confused.

Dragongem
Nov 9, 2009

Heroes of the Storm
Goon Tournament Champion

Kegslayer posted:

Agreed on this - there is a lot of stuff you can do to win a boss fight, like pet switching, skill switching, etc. Or you can just log in once inawhile, make some numbers go up, and be happy.

One hugely important tip: Enchanting, gems, and skill slots affect the SLOT, not the item. So enchant and skill away whenever you can get your hands on it.

Kegslayer
Jul 23, 2007
Each team has their own ID number. You can set a private or public group and just search for the team ID.

For people starting Ulala, there's a pretty good strategy guide on the official discord but even then it doesn't really explain the basics.

https://discord.gg/Eeg3BkT

New Leaf
Jul 24, 2013

Dragon Balls? Are they tasty?

Kegslayer posted:

It's also super public play friendly, there's no anime or underaged girls in bikinis as well which is a huge plus for me.

I usually judge a game based on how many anime girls in bikinis are in them, but I guess I'm going to give this one a shot anyway..

Dragongem
Nov 9, 2009

Heroes of the Storm
Goon Tournament Champion

Kegslayer posted:

Question - how do you time people's skills? I'mm stuck on a turtle boss who does a spin move that heals himself. I can't figure out how to make my team do interrupts when the skill is actually going, which is annoying.

Kegslayer
Jul 23, 2007

Dragongem posted:

Question - how do you time people's skills? I'mm stuck on a turtle boss who does a spin move that heals himself. I can't figure out how to make my team do interrupts when the skill is actually going, which is annoying.

Phone posting so I can't do a guide with pictures but press on the xp/min button on the right of the screen. This will bring up a menu called combat stats and press on the tab labelled 'skill serial no'.

When you fight a boss, it will list out a timeline of when all the attacks take place so you want to make sure the interrupts happen right after the boss does an attack or silence him just before he casts a skill. You can also see pet details and change pets that have an advantage over the bosses elemental type as well as click on the attacks themselves to get a description of what they actually do (from memory I think interrupting the spin debuffs the turtle)

As for changing other team mates skills, click on the Team button and then go to my team, there's a finger pointing to a star button (the Golden finger) that you can press on to change people's pets or their skills.

Also if you're stuck on who should interrupt when, you can press the report button which is under the xp/min one which shows you the setup and playthrough of two teams. The team that last cleared the stage and the lowest powered team that completed the map. You can click through and see what pets they're using and what skills they have as well as where you can put them.

It's a really well designed system except that again, none of this is explained anywhere.

New Leaf
Jul 24, 2013

Dragon Balls? Are they tasty?

Kegslayer posted:

Phone posting so I can't do a guide with pictures but press on the xp/min button on the right of the screen. This will bring up a menu called combat stats and press on the tab labelled 'skill serial no'.

When you fight a boss, it will list out a timeline of when all the attacks take place so you want to make sure the interrupts happen right after the boss does an attack or silence him just before he casts a skill. You can also see pet details and change pets that have an advantage over the bosses elemental type as well as click on the attacks themselves to get a description of what they actually do (from memory I think interrupting the spin debuffs the turtle)

As for changing other team mates skills, click on the Team button and then go to my team, there's a finger pointing to a star button (the Golden finger) that you can press on to change people's pets or their skills.

Also if you're stuck on who should interrupt when, you can press the report button which is under the xp/min one which shows you the setup and playthrough of two teams. The team that last cleared the stage and the lowest powered team that completed the map. You can click through and see what pets they're using and what skills they have as well as where you can put them.

It's a really well designed system except that again, none of this is explained anywhere.

That sounds absurdly complicated and is really turning me off on this game before the install even finishes..

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kegslayer
Jul 23, 2007
Eh, it's like two or three presses of a button and there's absolutely no need to do it

I like it because you can dick around with it when you have time or you can just go take a nap or do some actual work and come back to it whenever.