Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

What God wants, God gets, God help us all

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Doing weird poo poo with mercury is basically how we got chemistry.

Did the brain worms caused by mercury exposure help chemistry manifest? “I’ve got a mad idea about invisible structures made up of little energy balls huddled together and how they interact with other, similar structures!” :tinfoil:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

Pastry of the Year posted:

I don't read the chemistry thread, and I'm not a chemist (and I guess those two things are related), so can someone explain to me why those insane murder compounds of mercury (for example) even exist?

If there's mercury in the environment, bacteria will turn it into methylmercury.

pookel
Oct 27, 2011

Ultra Carp

Imperador do Brasil posted:

A local one my wife just sent me. Other than the gross misuse of the term “arrest papers”, it paints a pretty horrifying picture of this kid’s miserable excuse for a life. This happened about 15 minutes from me.

https://www.dailyitem.com/news/poli...m_medium=social
This detail broke my heart.

quote:

Other children in the house would try to help, according to arrest papers.
“She said that they would sometimes slip food under the door of her bedroom, ensuring that there were not wrappers as evidence that she had eaten. She said that they would usually sneak her bread to eat.”

Story says it's confidential whether those kids were also removed. I hope they were.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

I don't read the chemistry thread, and I'm not a chemist (and I guess those two things are related), so can someone explain to me why those insane murder compounds of mercury (for example) even exist?

If something is burny, foofy, foomy, acidy, explody, poisony, or mediciny somebody, somewhere will decide "no, this is not burny, foofy, foomy, acidy, explody, poisony, or mediciny, I must make it more so!"

This is why we have a compound so volatile you can't measure it. At all. It's called azidoazide azide. It's literally impossible to keep it from exploding. I don't think that can be repeated enough; this is a chemical that if you totally isolate it from all things that can possibly set it off it will still go boom.

Somebody out there is probably trying to come up with an even more horrifying mercury compound than any that already exist because we're humans and that's what we do.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

ToxicSlurpee posted:

This is why we have a compound so volatile you can't measure it. At all. It's called azidoazide azide. It's literally impossible to keep it from exploding. I don't think that can be repeated enough; this is a chemical that if you totally isolate it from all things that can possibly set it off it will still go boom.

Nah, you've got to do something like shine an infrared laser on it to try to get a Raman spectrograph.

https://blogs.sciencemag.org/pipeline/archives/2013/01/09/things_i_wont_work_with_azidoazide_azides_more_or_less

Something that couldn't be stable at all would be a compound that couldn't exist because it would decompose as soon as it formed. And there are all sorts of compounds that can't exist.

Kanine
Aug 5, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

ReelBigLizard posted:

One of the absolute fuckers of UXO clearance is cluster munitions. Take the BLU-97/B Combined Effects Bomb for example. About the size of a soda can and painted a jolly bright yellow the unexploded munition is attractive to children and adults alike. Why is this OSHA? Because these things kill de-miners indiscriminately. Why didn't it explode when it hit the ground? Who knows! What will make it detonate? Anything! A nudge with a foot, throwing it to your friend, the flatulence of a nearby termite, anything! It's been used all over the world, even in places it "hasn't".

About a month after I left the project an experienced de-miner was killed in Rwanda when one just went off as he was setting up. He wasn't touching it, just clearing the area around it.

from the OSHA thread

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

America can, should, must and will blow up the moon

This has been quite informative and I think I'm gonna have to start following the chemistry thread, just to add a little polish to my firmly-held belief that everything is trying to kill me in the cruelest possible way

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

god damn it, you've got to be kind

must have read your posts

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE

We were gonna!

Project A119
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Project_A119
Project A119, also known as A Study of Lunar Research Flights, was a top-secret plan developed in 1958 by the United States Air Force. The aim of the project was to detonate a nuclear bomb on the Moon, which would help in answering some of the mysteries in planetary astronomy and astrogeology.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Phanatic posted:

Nah, you've got to do something like shine an infrared laser on it to try to get a Raman spectrograph.

https://blogs.sciencemag.org/pipeline/archives/2013/01/09/things_i_wont_work_with_azidoazide_azides_more_or_less

Something that couldn't be stable at all would be a compound that couldn't exist because it would decompose as soon as it formed. And there are all sorts of compounds that can't exist.

Azidoazide azide actually did have a tendency to blow up if they put it in a dark climate controlled room with things that would dampen movements. "Doing absolutely nothing at all to it" is on the list of "poo poo that sets this poo poo off." That isn't a joke; this stuff will just randomly explode because somebody mentioned it at lunch four miles away.

Chemistry experts who are experts in the particular field of "really loving boomy things" actively trying to keep the poo poo from detonating couldn't keep it from detonating.

ToxicSlurpee has a new favorite as of 16:43 on Sep 17, 2019

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Croatoan posted:

We were gonna!

Project A119
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Project_A119
Project A119, also known as A Study of Lunar Research Flights, was a top-secret plan developed in 1958 by the United States Air Force. The aim of the project was to detonate a nuclear bomb on the Moon, which would help in answering some of the mysteries in planetary astronomy and astrogeology.

"Can the moon blow up" is a legitimate astronomical mystery :colbert:

Zopotantor
Feb 24, 2013

...und ist er drin dann lassen wir ihn niemals wieder raus...

ToxicSlurpee posted:

Azidoazide azide actually did have a tendency to blow up if they put it in a dark climate controlled room with things that would dampen movements. "Doing absolutely nothing at all to it" is on the list of "poo poo that sets this poo poo off." That isn't a joke; this stuff will just randomly explode because somebody mentioned it at lunch four miles away.

Chemistry experts who are experts in the particular field of "really loving boomy things" actively trying to keep the poo poo from detonating couldn't keep it from detonating.

That may have been (a tiny bit) exaggerated.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Sz4d7RQB6Y

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Edit: Beaten. That's an exaggeration of its (un)stability.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

This has been quite informative and I think I'm gonna have to start following the chemistry thread, just to add a little polish to my firmly-held belief that everything is trying to kill me in the cruelest possible way

We choose to blow up the Moon! We choose to blow up the Moon...We choose to blow up the Moon in this decade and do the other things, not because they are easy, but because they make us hard.

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

Dangerous things often give us useful, non-dangerous things, either as an ingredient or as part of the creation process.

Sometimes it is something like "if we mix these two dangerous chemicals together, we get this one useful and not at all dangerous chemical"

Sometimes it's "if we mix these two non-dangerous chemicals together we get these two chemicals, one of which is dangerous, but if we then mix that dangerous chemical with this other non-dangerous chemical, we get this useful, non-dangerous chemical".

I mean, combining nitrogen together in new and interesting ways is how you get both new high explosives and also new fertilizers.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
The best part of the plan to blow up the moon was the Weekly World News running a cover story about it decades later.

ponzicar
Mar 17, 2008
What a ridiculous and wasteful project. You could learn just as much by carving your initials into it with a giant laser.

letthereberock
Sep 4, 2004

Busket Posket posted:

There’s an update, but it doesn’t really clear anything up.

From what I can tell, she is chronologically 8, or it wouldn’t be child neglect, and they were paying her rent but stopped, so she was evicted and no one knows where she is now. And they had a biological son who was a child prodigy and the parents loved that limelight, so I’m assuming they adopted a Ukrainian child to try to mold her into one as well, then got frustrated when she didn’t perform and moved to Canada for their son to get his Physics degree up there.

The Washington Post has picked up the story which keeps getting weirder and weirder.

The craziest part to me is, even if the adoptive mom is telling the truth and this girl is actually a 20-something scam artist, how the hell is the appropriate response to this not “alert the authorities” but rather “stash her in an apartment, move out of the country and hope the whole thing just goes away”?

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

👁️🔥👁️👁️👁️BE NOT👄AFRAID👁️👁️👁️🔥👁️

letthereberock posted:

The Washington Post has picked up the story which keeps getting weirder and weirder.

The craziest part to me is, even if the adoptive mom is telling the truth and this girl is actually a 20-something scam artist, how the hell is the appropriate response to this not “alert the authorities” but rather “stash her in an apartment, move out of the country and hope the whole thing just goes away”?
Did the parents watch Orphan and decide it was a documentary?

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

letthereberock posted:

That part at least makes sense to me. Not saying I believe her, but it would go something like this:

The parents are becoming publicly known around this time as role model parents who nurtured an autistic child to success, and all that gets real murky once it comes out that they got conned by an adult posing as a child. It doesn't change what they did with their son, but any public adulation goes away because there's always gonna be people who go "how can you not know?" and assume that something is up. So the parents make some kind of deal with the con artist where they put her up for some length of time, which gives her time to move on. Essentially a cover-up to protect public status.

Now, having said that, I don't believe it. If that really was the case, the husband would be sticking with the same story, even if the cops were charging them, since it's pretty much the only explanation that isn't just admitting guilt, but it sounds like he's more or less corroborating what the cops are saying.

Now, that could be that they've flipped him and he's got a deal, but that leaves a whole other set of questions, namely how the gently caress did they get her legal age doubled?

Also, just what's going on with the second set of parents trying to adopt the girl, and the couple objecting?

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

Azathoth posted:

Now, that could be that they've flipped him and he's got a deal, but that leaves a whole other set of questions, namely how the gently caress did they get her legal age doubled?

This is the part that confuses me the most. It being a con or them being lovely parents are both plausible and it could go either way and not be surprising. Adding a decade to someone's age seems like a challenge though.

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

Inceltown posted:

This is the part that confuses me the most. It being a con or them being lovely parents are both plausible and it could go either way and not be surprising. Adding a decade to someone's age seems like a challenge though.
The 'medical note' the adoptive mom had about that used the girl having 'adult teeth' as part of the justification.
But, 10 year olds tend to have all their adult teeth anyway?

EDIT: Someone in the comments theorized that the girl has RAD, as an Eastern European adoptee with special needs, and the first family that adopted her thought they were getting a feel good savior story with an easy kid and got someone with, well, special needs, so they ditched her to a rehoming network. That's where this family with a high profile special needs prodigy kid steps in, assuming they can 'fix' her too and get twice the publicity...

I mean her potentially having behavioral issues doesn't even matter, they brought it up bc they apparently do work with adoption and see a lot of kids get abandoned bc oops turns out they're real kids with behavioral problems and not perfect angelic props.

PetraCore has a new favorite as of 01:13 on Sep 18, 2019

Kiebland
Feb 22, 2012

Imperador do Brasil posted:

A local one my wife just sent me. Other than the gross misuse of the term “arrest papers”, it paints a pretty horrifying picture of this kid’s miserable excuse for a life. This happened about 15 minutes from me.

https://www.dailyitem.com/news/poli...m_medium=social

This comment on that article was a giant red flag for me.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Kiebland posted:

This person is a child abuser.

E: To expand, I don't mean I know them or something. This is just typical abuser behavior. Children don't coordinate smear campaigns. Read "Why Does He Do That" by Lundy Bancroft.

E2: He also has books specifically about child abuse but I haven't read them

FactsAreUseless has a new favorite as of 01:36 on Sep 18, 2019

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Kiebland posted:

FactsAreUseless posted:

E: To expand, I don't mean I know them or something. This is just typical abuser behavior. Children don't coordinate smear campaigns. Read "Why Does He Do That" by Lundy Bancroft.

This kind of rationalization was part of my abusers pattern. They would minimize or rationalize abuses to any people I could talk to and would have them telling me that there wasn't anything wrong with what they were doing to me.

It was really one of the most awful parts as a child, realizing society at large was just okay with abusing kids, as long as it sounds reasonable or justifiable to another abuser or abused kid.

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

FactsAreUseless posted:

E2: He also has books specifically about child abuse but I haven't read them
Yeah and the claim that all 3 of their children 'lied' in the same way also gives it away.

Sometimes kids will lie about pretty serious things, sometimes they can get elaborate with it, but that's the exception, not the rule, and it's even rarer from what little I know for claims to be completely fabricated instead of misdirected. If multiple kids are making the same claims and backing up each other's claims, that's damning.

Kiebland
Feb 22, 2012
I’m glad I wasn’t the only one who got major abuser vibes there.

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010
I TRIED TO BAIT THE TXPOL THREAD WITH THE WORLD'S WORST POSSIBLE TAKE AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS STUPID AVATAR.

Kiebland posted:

I’m glad I wasn’t the only one who got major abuser vibes there.

Oh so that's why my eyes glazed over trying to read it.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Watermelon Daiquiri posted:

Oh so that's why my eyes glazed over trying to read it.

A common self-defense mechanism.

1000 umbrellas
Aug 25, 2005

We thought we'd base our civilization upon yours, 'cause you're the smartest animals on earth, now ain't you?
Airplane accident chit chat:

Incredibly detailed breakdown of the Lion Air 610 accident, how much of a role that undisclosed new system in the 737 Max (MCAS) may have actually had, and the extra factors that played out. Includes such unnerving things as seven pilots crammed into a two-person simulator and receiving credit for completing the simulation for simply having watched two other trainees do it.

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/09/18/magazine/boeing-737-max-crashes.html

pookel
Oct 27, 2011

Ultra Carp

Wasabi the J posted:

This kind of rationalization was part of my abusers pattern. They would minimize or rationalize abuses to any people I could talk to and would have them telling me that there wasn't anything wrong with what they were doing to me.

It was really one of the most awful parts as a child, realizing society at large was just okay with abusing kids, as long as it sounds reasonable or justifiable to another abuser or abused kid.
The fact that this person had this reaction to a story about a kid who was forced to sleep naked on the floor within a small square of tape, monitored with security cameras, is pretty horrifying. Like, that wasn't a claim made by the kid, that was observed by social workers. There is no behavior by a child that justifies that treatment - none.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Wow, that article stans Boeing to a truly shameful degree.

quote:

Although Boeing’s designers were aware of timetables and competitive pressures, the mistakes they made were honest ones, or stupid ones, or maybe careless ones, but not a result of an intentional sacrifice of safety for gain.

It's not as if multiple newspapers -- including, I think, the Times -- have documented people protesting unsafe decisions and being ignored. Or as if there have been deep dives into Boeing's safety culture that demonstrated slackness.

I also question the explanation that only military flyers, or flyers who fly small planes for fun, ever develop airmanship.

Whiz Palace
Dec 8, 2013

1000 umbrellas posted:

Airplane accident chit chat:

Incredibly detailed breakdown of the Lion Air 610 accident, how much of a role that undisclosed new system in the 737 Max (MCAS) may have actually had, and the extra factors that played out. Includes such unnerving things as seven pilots crammed into a two-person simulator and receiving credit for completing the simulation for simply having watched two other trainees do it.

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/09/18/magazine/boeing-737-max-crashes.html

This is a good article, but I worry it might have come about of a need to deflect the plane's failings onto the poor and non-white.

edit: ^^^ yeah, that too.

MizPiz
May 29, 2013

by Athanatos
The unnerving part's gonna happen when he gets off for the third time and finds his fourth black, homeless kid to groom and murder

https://twitter.com/ABC7/status/1174155220378513408?s=19

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Also "Airbus is bad and should feel bad" is irrelevant to an article on Boeing crashes.

1000 umbrellas
Aug 25, 2005

We thought we'd base our civilization upon yours, 'cause you're the smartest animals on earth, now ain't you?
Eh, most of my enthusiasm came from the technical explanations. I find the ghost flight/controlled flight into terrain/death spiral poo poo to be truly harrowing. I enjoyed learning about the functionality of the myriad systems in place to eliminate that risk (that still inevitably fail), and, as someone who recently acquired an old truck and is thick in the process of troubleshooting, swapping parts, clearing the computer, hoping the repair sticks, and repeating, I am amazed to discover that commercial airline mechanics do basically the same thing.

pookel
Oct 27, 2011

Ultra Carp

MizPiz posted:

The unnerving part's gonna happen when he gets off for the third time and finds his fourth black, homeless kid to groom and murder

https://twitter.com/ABC7/status/1174155220378513408?s=19

This one survived at least.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

1000 umbrellas posted:

Eh, most of my enthusiasm came from the technical explanations. I find the ghost flight/controlled flight into terrain/death spiral poo poo to be truly harrowing. I enjoyed learning about the functionality of the myriad systems in place to eliminate that risk (that still inevitably fail), and, as someone who recently acquired an old truck and is thick in the process of troubleshooting, swapping parts, clearing the computer, hoping the repair sticks, and repeating, I am amazed to discover that commercial airline mechanics do basically the same thing.

Oh, I agree with you; the bits about what's going on mechanically are fascinating. (As are, sadly, the explanations of why nothing will be revealed and nothing will be done.) I think what the author describes as happening in Indonesia is not what happens in more safety-intensive countries. Of course, commuter air, God help you.

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

Beyond the technical details, the whole thing seems to boil down to:

Regulators: If you release a new plane model, you need to train all pilots on that model and not just assume they can fly it safely.
Airlines: But that costs money!
Aircraft Manufacturers: What if we made a new plane model but just called it the same thing as an old plane model?
Regulators: *shrug*

*plane crashes because pilots weren't properly trained on the 100% not new model of aircraft they were flying*

Regulators, Airlines, and Aircraft Manufacturers, in unison: How could we have foreseen that this would happen?!?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

Do you like scary movies?

pookel posted:

The fact that this person had this reaction to a story about a kid who was forced to sleep naked on the floor within a small square of tape, monitored with security cameras, is pretty horrifying.

For this sort of abuser, they'll take any possible chance to bring up excuses like the children lied either on their own or were coached, Family Services happened to come on that one day everything was a mess instead of any other day when everything was in perfect order and clean, or they were only disciplining their kids to learn respect and the neighborhood busybodies called the authorities...etc. They have to constantly cry out how they were wronged as if repeating it makes it reality rather than they were abusive.