Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Can you spare a little cheddar?
Nap Ghost
Saw this hadn't been posted here, did the needful:

Olympic Mathlete posted:

Also a 200hp road legal MX-5 beating out high horsepower built cars is just lol. Learn to loving drive you dipshits.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wNZvfb6WPIs

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

Nocheez posted:

Wow, someone was like how can we take drifting and make it slow and boring and there ya go.

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
Shhhhh, were slow close to the US figuring out what gymkhana actually is.

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

Nocheez posted:

Jikes.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

um excuse me posted:

Tubular front end, tubular front end!

Oooh, you meant like this? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5gs9GG1sr84&t=219s

I think that would be very illegal here for a street car. But if I had the space for it, yeah that would make an amazing track car.

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
Speaking of wild build videos, is there one where they make a modular front end? You know, where you cut off the front end of the frame at the fire wall or crash bar and put end plates on the exposed locations then bolt it back together. They do it on a lot of racing where crashes are expected. I think NASCAR started it. Anyways I've been wanting to do it to my Miata so I just need a bump to hold me off for a while.

Voltage
Sep 4, 2004

MALT LIQUOR!
I like that cheap miata, -

I just saved my friend's '01 SE for about $400 -
Shop wanted $3500 for a new engine from her blowing the radiator and "overheating".
I tore it down and the engine was perfectly fine, good compression etc - did a new rad, hoses, waterpump, seals, timing belt, headgasket, etc. The hardest part was I accidentally snapped off a control arm endlink and had to fuckin grind it off since it was so rusty.
-
Runs perfect now, super smooth, would be great if it wasn't for all the rust :\ It's unreal how cheap parts are for these cars - except when I'm trying to buy top of the line upgrades for my NA :cry:

Elysium
Aug 21, 2003
It is by will alone I set my mind in motion.
Clutch went soft to the floor today as I was driving to work, so I guess time to replace the Clutch Slave Cylinder? Should I replace the Master as well? Is it worth it to get the braided clutch line to replace the rubber one while I'm at it?

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
I would definitely get a new line. My steel line was long enough so I could delete the hardline pigtail (on my NA), I don't know if they offer that with rubber ones.

DeNofa
Aug 25, 2009

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

Elysium posted:

Clutch went soft to the floor today as I was driving to work, so I guess time to replace the Clutch Slave Cylinder? Should I replace the Master as well? Is it worth it to get the braided clutch line to replace the rubber one while I'm at it?

I just did both recently on my NA. I had to cut the slave from the pigtail hardline because it was so corroded, it might be best to plan for a braided line? I'm not sure if any part of the line is rubber. FWIW the first master I got was DOA from advance, but they swapped it out no problem.

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

New soft top day! I value my time and sanity more than my money, so I'm having one of those shops-in-the-industrial-warehouse-area-run-by-a-65-year-old-dude install it. Will be nice to be able to drive even when it's threatening rain.

Diametunim
Oct 26, 2010

Elysium posted:

I would replace both for peace of mind but ultimately it's up to you. I've read the masters fail less often than the slaves but when the part is $20 who cares?

Treasure Cost Miata sells an overhaul kit for ~50 that includes exceedy master, slave, and a braided line that will replace the secondary coiled Hardline that attaches to the slave.

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
Both are decently accessable, I wouldn't consider it a major repair. Just fix what's broke.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

When my NB's slave cylinder failed, the master went pretty shortly afterwards. If I were doing that job again today on that car (or, for that matter, if I ever do it on my TJ) I'd do both at the same time and save the future labor.

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

If it's only for a night I can live without you

IOwnCalculus posted:

When my NB's slave cylinder failed, the master went pretty shortly afterwards. If I were doing that job again today on that car (or, for that matter, if I ever do it on my TJ) I'd do both at the same time and save the future labor.

Same thing on my S2000 (both are notorious for leakage). Getting stuck in first gear on the way home was definitely an experience

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
Miatas pretty much a Barbie Jeep, just rev match. But I have to ask how you managed to stop without stopping the engine?

djfooboo
Oct 16, 2004

IOwnCalculus posted:

QFT, do pads and lines too while working down there if you want a nice little cheap upgrade.

thetan_guy42
Oct 15, 2016

murdera

Lipstick Apathy
Foolishly drove my 'yata through 6-8 inches of flood water today and got a check engine light. I pulled the code and its for a knock sensor, checked one of the spark plugs and it was totally dry so idk i guess im gonna get it towed to a mechanic

BloodBag
Sep 20, 2008

WITNESS ME!

tha_hotstepper posted:

Foolishly drove my 'yata through 6-8 inches of flood water today and got a check engine light. I pulled the code and its for a knock sensor, checked one of the spark plugs and it was totally dry so idk i guess im gonna get it towed to a mechanic

Fellow Houston goon?

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

The.... Belt? Water pump? Noise is back pretty aggressively. This seems to happen once it's really warmed up, especially.

https://youtu.be/bAkMjZdGXGM

I took photos of the belt spinning because I'm unsure if that is loose or what.

Otteration
Jan 4, 2014

I CAN'T SAY PRESIDENT DONALD JOHN TRUMP'S NAME BECAUSE HE'S LIKE THAT GUY FROM HARRY POTTER AND I'M AFRAID I'LL SUMMON HIM. DONALD JOHN TRUMP. YOUR FAVORITE PRESIDENT.
OUR 47TH PRESIDENT AFTER THE ONE WHO SHOWERS WITH HIS DAUGHTER DIES
Grimey Drawer

ShaneB posted:

The.... Belt? Water pump? Noise is back pretty aggressively. This seems to happen once it's really warmed up, especially.

https://youtu.be/bAkMjZdGXGM

I took photos of the belt spinning because I'm unsure if that is loose or what.

Maybe take a hose of some kind and carefully use as a stethoscope to isolate the location of the sound. Sounds more like water pump than alternator, but all things are possible.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
your pulley boss is hosed (and/or your water pump bearings have given up the ghost)

when was the last time you did TB + WP

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
Agreed, I had the same issue with the nightmare Miata.

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

Phone posted:

your pulley boss is hosed (and/or your water pump bearings have given up the ghost)

when was the last time you did TB + WP

Yeah, this is my thinking as well. I'm planning on doing the TB/WP this winter once I take the car offline. I was hoping to drive it more this year, but...

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.

ShaneB posted:

Yeah, this is my thinking as well. I'm planning on doing the TB/WP this winter once I take the car offline. I was hoping to drive it more this year, but...

If you weren't already planning on doing your water pump I'd recommend taking the accessory belts off just to confirm where the noise is coming from. Since you're doing the job anyway, might as well just see if the noise comes back once everything is back together.

Steely Dad
Jul 29, 2006

Anyone going to the Miata Reunion at Laguna Seca on Oct 11th-12th? I’m thinking about driving down, mainly so I can do one of the parade laps on the track. Has anyone gone before? Is it worth the hassle?

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
Silly confession time. My Miata had leftovers of an old Viper system in it that I've been slowly deleting. At this point, the last bits are the power lock actuators. I've been meaning to pull them out. I've also been meaning to fix the power window bushings, clean up the motors and switches. Why haven't I just done it? Because I didn't want to break the door clips. Today I realized I can just buy them.

https://www.clipsandfasteners.com/Mazda-Ford-Trim-Panel-Retainer-9-5mm-Stem-Length-p/a18824.htm

Look forward to clean up the doors. I might stick some sound deadener in there as well.

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

Adding weight? Blasphemer!

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

So lately I've been pinning for a brand new Civic Sport.....Until I found out I can get a slightly used ND Club Sport for (around) the same price. I'm seriously considering this.

Have never driven an ND but I'm assuming it's much more liveable as a DD then an NA, they are the only Miatas I've ever owned (four of them).

Base models are a good bit cheaper than Club Sports obviously, and I'm going to have to drive both, but if anyone would like to chime in on how they compare that would be cool. Would definitely be wanting to do some AutoX or maybe even an occasional track day so I'm leaning towards the Club Sport, but if it's damped super stiff I don't know if it would be great for daily driving.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

Applebees Appetizer posted:

So lately I've been pinning for a brand new Civic Sport.....Until I found out I can get a slightly used ND Club Sport for (around) the same price. I'm seriously considering this.

Have never driven an ND but I'm assuming it's much more liveable as a DD then an NA, they are the only Miatas I've ever owned (four of them).

Base models are a good bit cheaper than Club Sports obviously, and I'm going to have to drive both, but if anyone would like to chime in on how they compare that would be cool. Would definitely be wanting to do some AutoX or maybe even an occasional track day so I'm leaning towards the Club Sport, but if it's damped super stiff I don't know if it would be great for daily driving.

Do it, you coward.

I also don’t know what the current trims are, but afaik they were Sport (base), Club (LSD, Bilsteins, THAT AWFUL EYESORE), and Grand Touring (leather, heated seats).

The ND is soft af. The Bilsteins are the furtherest thing from rough. The interior is tighter than an NA/NB.

TheGoatTrick
Aug 1, 2002

Semi-aquatic personification of unstoppable douchery

Club and Sport are two different trims. Sport is the base model and Club is the one with Bilsteins.

The Club is not stiff at all and is very livable. If you are looking for a daily driver, get the Club and retrofit it with Carplay/Android Auto. The early Sports (up to 2018, I think) don't have a screen.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Phone posted:

Do it, you coward.

I also don’t know what the current trims are, but afaik they were Sport (base), Club (LSD, Bilsteins, THAT AWFUL EYESORE), and Grand Touring (leather, heated seats).

The ND is soft af. The Bilsteins are the furtherest thing from rough. The interior is tighter than an NA/NB.

What's the EYESORE lol. The grand touring is out because gently caress leather seats in Florida.....Also I've sat in them and it didn't feel tighter than an NA but I guess i'd have to drive one for a bit to really compare. Do you still have the NA? You DD an ND now don't you? I forget haven't been in this thread in awhile :v:

TheGoatTrick posted:

The Club is not stiff at all and is very livable. If you are looking for a daily driver, get the Club and retrofit it with Carplay/Android Auto. The early Sports (up to 2018, I think) don't have a screen.

Hmmmm, not having a screen is actually very appealing to me.....Do they have CD players? That would be cool.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

What's the EYESORE lol. The grand touring is out because gently caress leather seats in Florida.....Also I've sat in them and it didn't feel tighter than an NA but I guess i'd have to drive one for a bit to really compare. Do you still have the NA? You DD an ND now don't you? I forget haven't been in this thread in awhile :v:

Hmmmm, not having a screen is actually very appealing to me.....Do they have CD players? That would be cool.

The screen is a nonissue (read: it’s THE EYESORE). It has a DVD player.

Sold the NA last year.

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

I see an ND in my area available to rent on Turo with a stick. Maybe do that for your area and live with it for a day or two.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

I suppose I could get a Sport for cheap without the eyesore and get the Club bits later down the road. Or go all out and get some Fat Cats or something.

Coredump posted:

I see an ND in my area available to rent on Turo with a stick. Maybe do that for your area and live with it for a day or two.

That's a good idea, might actually do that.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
It’s completely out of the sight line when looking out the windshield, the system itself is a not bad linux implementation, and it easier to look at and operate than the vcr-like sport radio.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Ok, I'm just gonna have to drive one of each.....Also where is the DVD player? I'm failing to find it unless you're loving with me.

[e] I'm assuming the eyesore has navigation as well? That would be a big plus.

Applebees Appetizer fucked around with this message at 15:29 on Sep 24, 2019

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
It’s in the glovebox.

There’s the Mazda Connect GPS SD card that you can pick up for $400 from the dealer or about $250ish online elsewhere. You can flash the firmware to include the new Android Auto or Apple CarPlay systems that integrate well with your smartphone.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.
The sd card is $30-40 on ebay

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Speaking of radios, I finally received my Chinese double din Android thing.

How does the mounting work in NBFLs? The original HU has two bracket thingies attached on either side with two tabs you press on with a screwdriver to release it. Is this really the only thing holding the unit in place? I don't have any mounting kit so I'm looking to hack together some kind of adapter as simply as possible.