Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

Magneto says "soul" but elsewhere it's referred to as stored mental data. I feel like Magneto's being poetic or, maybe, experiencing a bit of wishful thinking.

Agreed that consulting with Magik or Pixie or similar mystic mutants would probably be a good idea. Souls are actually real in X-Men canon, and stuff like the Phoenix Jean clone having a "shared soul" is even canonical, so you could work within those bounds.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Goldballs
EGGBOI

Also jeez give them some pants or something before having them meet the public.

Synthbuttrange fucked around with this message at 14:38 on Sep 18, 2019

Web Jew.0
May 13, 2009
Perhaps red circles are issues with a scene that was previewed in a previous issue? The bench scene was in PoX 1 and the pods scene was in HoX 1

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Think of the good things, Pim! The good things!

Like Jesus, candy, and crackerjacks! Ice cream and cake and lots o'laffs!
Grandma, Grandpa, and Uncle Joe! Larry, Curly, and brother Moe!
So why can't Sinister just clone the bodies on his own?

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Barry Convex posted:

So why can't Sinister just clone the bodies on his own?

Charles wants a process that is fast and is guaranteed to produce accurate replicas

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."
I definitely don't feel like the xmen are good guys at this point. This whole thing gives off a bad guy vibe and apocalypse saying "hey this was my idea and you guys made it happen" certainly doesn't help. Still, props for Random showing up out of nowhere.

Beerdeer
Apr 25, 2006

Frank Herbert's Dude
Mimic isn't a mutant, is he? He's an altered human by his dad.

enigmahfc
Oct 10, 2003

EFF TEE DUB!!
EFF TEE DUB!!
No way any of this will end up badly, no way at all....

There was a fine point put on no experimenting/experience on what would happen if the wrong 'soul' was put into the wrong husk. I can't help but feel that is going to be a thing later on.

The X-men are def. a cult now.

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I only have excellent ideas
Didn't Emplate imprison and hideously torture Monet for years? This is part of what makes me iffy about Hickman's detached style of story-telling-- you'd think that, even if this wasn't dealt with right away, there'd be some kind of glad-- an ominous close-up, a reaction shot of her face or something. Instead he's just sketched into the background with all the other bad-guys and I'm going to be genuinely surprised if there's any acknowledgement at all that one of the most prominent characters of the run so far is being asked to coexist peacefully with her abuser, any sort of scene between them or scene where she talks about it, or anything.

I'm willing to be surprised! I was surprised by the scene between Nightcrawler and Logan a few weeks ago, pleasantly so! But I'm still going to be surprised.

Avicus
Aug 31, 2007
Gentleman Bastard
Grimey Drawer
I just realised... does all of this mean that Old Cable can come back?

EDIT: Oh poo poo, and T/O virus free?!

Parallax
Jan 14, 2006

the general lack of reaction to all the red flags is kind of making me.... bored. maybe it'll pay off by the end, but this whole thing feels like a self-indulgent exercise to explain the new status quo that lacks the character relationships that actually make the x-men interesting

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

Archyduchess posted:

Didn't Emplate imprison and hideously torture Monet for years? This is part of what makes me iffy about Hickman's detached style of story-telling-- you'd think that, even if this wasn't dealt with right away, there'd be some kind of glad-- an ominous close-up, a reaction shot of her face or something. Instead he's just sketched into the background with all the other bad-guys and I'm going to be genuinely surprised if there's any acknowledgement at all that one of the most prominent characters of the run so far is being asked to coexist peacefully with her abuser, any sort of scene between them or scene where she talks about it, or anything.

I'm willing to be surprised! I was surprised by the scene between Nightcrawler and Logan a few weeks ago, pleasantly so! But I'm still going to be surprised.

Likewise, it's weird to see Storm being so cult-y when a major part of her character arc was accepting that she wasn't a religious figure and needed to treat herself as a human being first.

I feel like in general people have no idea how to write Storm. She's super boring here, and is filling her normal post 2000s-role of being a bland booster for whatever the X-Men are currently up to.

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

Avicus posted:

I just realised... does all of this mean that Old Cable can come back?

EDIT: Oh poo poo, and T/O virus free?!

Xavier's been making mental backups of every mutant for the entirety of X-Men canon in this iteration of the universe, so yeah, literally any mutant who's ever died in that timeframe could be brought back.

The ambitious plan to "resurrect" all of Genosha's dead is what's really interesting, I think.

Parallax
Jan 14, 2006

Android Blues posted:

The ambitious plan to "resurrect" all of Genosha's dead is what's really interesting, I think.

you think they'd want to get on that before all their greatest enemies, but hey

hcreight
Mar 19, 2007

My name is Oliver Queen...
I hope they bring back Thunderbird and then he dies every time he goes on a mission.

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Is that everything you have?

I really enjoy.. I dunno, the consistency? of Wakanda having their own singular reasons for rejecting Krakoa's super-pharmaceuticals, and that reason being "No, thanks, we already have our own."

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Cabbit posted:

I really enjoy.. I dunno, the consistency? of Wakanda having their own singular reasons for rejecting Krakoa's super-pharmaceuticals, and that reason being "No, thanks, we already have our own."

I wonder how storm and black panthers relationship will be as they are now enemies

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi

Transistor Rhythm posted:

the Uncanny Eggsmen

Wow.

Yeah, so this isn't my favorite. The cult thing is getting a little bit much, especially in comparison to other cult-ish groups we've seen in the X^2 and X^3 timelines. It's definitely hurting some characters (Storm, in particular). The big reveal was fun and I like how Hickman is playing with all the characters but there was a LOT of exposition and volunteering information that I don't know if we needed at this point. This whole story has obviously been a setup for a new status quo- and I have no problem with that- but this issue felt like he just put his pitch for this part into the comic. I do like the last few pages and agree that the Wakanda thing will be important later.

Also: we still haven't seen Moira in this time period...

Metalshark
Feb 4, 2013

The seagull is essential.
There's still a big leap from this point to the various Dawn of X titles*, so I'm fascinated by/terrified of what's to come in the final 3 issues. :ohdear:

I love The Five though. That's ingenious.

EDIT: *Fallen Angels makes sense if they're rejecting clones, which was a big part of X-23's latest run.

Metalshark fucked around with this message at 18:12 on Sep 18, 2019

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi
So...

If this is the 10th life of Moira and Proteus is only mentioned in the 10th timeline... Did Moira have Proteus just for this?

Also, if this is all part of Moira's big plan, then in her previous lives she knew about Goldball's retconned powers.

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."
Did proteus ever come back before this? I thought he was killed during his uncanny arc in the 70s

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

It's cool we got the premise of the upcoming X-Force comic.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Android Blues posted:

Likewise, it's weird to see Storm being so cult-y when a major part of her character arc was accepting that she wasn't a religious figure and needed to treat herself as a human being first.
I'm wondering if Xavier's talk with Emma Frost about the cost of influencing minds and how the subtle push leaves something behind can explain the weird culty poo poo

Metalshark
Feb 4, 2013

The seagull is essential.

Endless Mike posted:

It's cool we got the premise of the upcoming X-Force comic.

Oh duh, I forgot to mention this. Xavier's big plan that involves Emma could be the Hellfire Trading Club too, and we had the infographic about countries refusing trade deals and being assumed hostile.

FilthyImp posted:

I'm wondering if Xavier's talk with Emma Frost about the cost of influencing minds and how the subtle push leaves something behind can explain the weird culty poo poo

Something is definitely up, because Jean in space was definitely not firing on all cylinders.

Metalshark fucked around with this message at 19:03 on Sep 18, 2019

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi

Metalshark posted:

Oh duh, I forgot to mention this. Xavier's big plan that involves Emma could be the Hellfire Trading Club too, and we had the infographic about countries refusing trade deals and being assumed hostile.

With the Marauders group acting as a police force against unauthorized trade of Krakoan products?

It's already been 20 years since we had a major relaunch of a beloved 70s/80s property revolving around trade organizations! Nostalgia really is king these days!

Billzasilver
Nov 8, 2016

I lift my drink and sing a song

for who knows if life is short or long?

Man's life is like the morning dew

past days many, future days few

Great loving issue. Now they just need to explain what happens with adamantium skeletons and robot arms, etc. I suppose if this change is permanent, Hickman is establishing a new status quo where mutants finally stop fighting other mutants.

Archyduchess posted:

Is that any worse than Sinister or Sabertooth? Or some not-yet-seen villains like Dark Beast and Sugar Man?

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Proteus can alter reality, so you don't need much of an explanation for adamantium and stuff.

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi

Codependent Poster posted:

Proteus can alter reality, so you don't need much of an explanation for adamantium and stuff.

This is true, but per the steps outlined, Proteus goes 2nd in the process and only makes the egg viable. Elixer and Eva "grow" the egg. Unless he's going back after and putting the Adamantium in... At which point, seriously: give everyone knife hands!

Franklin was mentioned a couple time in HoX and has similar reality-distorting/controlling powers to Proteus so I'm curious if that's setting up something as well. Also, Hickman loves him.

Billzasilver
Nov 8, 2016

I lift my drink and sing a song

for who knows if life is short or long?

Man's life is like the morning dew

past days many, future days few

Also, does egg boy qualify as an Omega Level Egg Mutant now?

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi

Billzasilver posted:

He creates non-viable eggs. Your average chicken is better at him than that so no, not according to the new definition.

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

The mysterious thing is like, what are they eggs of? I assume they're not giant human ova.

(Goldballs' body is a portal to the Egg Dimension and when he uses his powers he shoots out pure platonic form of Egg.)

MoaM
Dec 1, 2009

Joyous.
This issue...feels...not real...?
I don't know how else to react.
I'm hoping the books after all this egg business will help me out.

Chinston Wurchill
Jun 27, 2010

It's not that kind of test.

Billzasilver posted:

Omegga Level, perhaps.

I'm interested in how the status quo will look once the various team books start running. I assume this alliance with all the bad mutants won't work out in the long run if this is even the timeline/reality that will be covered in the other books.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

MoaM posted:

This issue...feels...not real...?
It feels like someone's creation myth, following Krakoa giving us their creation myth.

And it's doubly in this weird bardo state of dream/myth because Mags is explaining the process to Lorna, so there's a chain of story being invoked there.

NmareBfly
Jul 16, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

I like that Hope has something to do. I have a soft spot for Hope. Put me down in the 'okay this is getting to be a bit much' category, though. Cult vibes all over and it reads more like a big-idea Earth X sorta story than one actually establishing a new status quo -- but we haven't seen how it ends yet, so hard to pass judgement on the whole.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
Who's the blonde lady standing next to Sinister when they show up? It kinda looks like how Magik has dressed recently, but I don't really associate her with Sinister.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition

Skwirl posted:

Who's the blonde lady standing next to Sinister when they show up? It kinda looks like how Magik has dressed recently, but I don't really associate her with Sinister.

Lady Mastermind in her Chris Bachalo outfit.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company

Skwirl posted:

I think that's Lady Mastermind.

Autism Sneaks
Nov 21, 2016

Kingtheninja posted:

Did proteus ever come back before this? I thought he was killed during his uncanny arc in the 70s

He came back in the same Astonishing arc that brought Charles back.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I only have excellent ideas

Billzasilver posted:

Is that any worse than Sinister or Sabertooth? Or some not-yet-seen villains like Dark Beast and Sugar Man?

It struck me as more "off" because Hickman is at least dealing with some of the dissonance of those characters being on the "same side" as the X-Men now. I think the Apocalypse stuff actually sells this idea pretty well-- he looks terrifying, huge and powerful and not at all humbled, in the last pages of this issue, and so his full-throated endorsement of Krakoa comes across as troubling and significant.

Sinister's another good example. When Xavier and Magneto go to meet with him, he's not just acting evil, he's also acting erratic and unreliable. The narrative is sending us all sorts of fairly well-executed red flags to indicate something's not right. At the same time, we get enough of a peek at Xavier's motivations, as well as Magneto's, to make some reasonable working assumptions about what's driving them to make these ideological compromises.

Whereas Emplate-- who I just chose as an example out of the whole scrum of bad-guys who showed up-- is just standing there, he doesn't talk, he isn't indicated by name. This in the same issue that Monet gets a whole page to herself, proving ("proving") that she's really "herself" (to whatever degree mind control or whatever may or may not be going on). You'd think she'd have some reaction to seeing her monstrous brother roll into town, much like we got to see certain characters react, or were at least given, as readers, clearer cues on how they might react, to Sinister and Apocalypse and Sabretooth.