Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rubellavator
Aug 16, 2007

What if there had been a fire or a medical emergency or a million other reasons that locking a child in a room is a bad loving idea.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

artsy fartsy posted:

I don't have kids so I can't argue with that, but attacking animals is not normal 8-year-old mischief, right? My original point is the cat specifically getting frozen isn't the OP's fault, because who the hell could even predict that scenario.

the kid seems to be acting out, i'm guessing because his mom leaves him with strangers for hours at a time. whether that is by convenience or necessity, who knows. it's also plausible for an 8 year old to be dumb and sadistic enough to confine a cat if the child has seen routine animal abuse or is being abused themselves

that is all theoretical though. it doesn't matter how well behaved the kid is, it was naive of the OP to say "sure you can leave your child in my home for multiple hours, on the understanding that i will not watch them or interact with them". that is irresponsible, any child who you could count on to be left alone for hours at a time is a child who is old enough not to need a babysitter

Rubellavator posted:

What if there had been a fire or a medical emergency or a million other reasons that locking a child in a room is a bad loving idea.

i dont think a fire will suddenly happen in a bathroom without the op noticing, although the op may go out of their way to ignore the child as hard as possible

Foo Diddley
Oct 29, 2011

cat

Chomp8645 posted:

Inaccurate to the story as presented.

Yeah the half-assed "You can leave your kid here but I actually won't watch him" that the OP gave totally excuses her, my bad

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Rubellavator posted:

Medical emergency! Dr. Crusher beam directly to the bathroom!

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Foo Diddley posted:

Yeah the half-assed "You can leave your kid here but I actually won't watch him" that the OP gave totally excuses her, my bad

I'm glad you recognize that someone saying literally the opposite of what your mock quote had them saying is in fact a relevant difference.

Perhaps you can learn from this.

Foo Diddley
Oct 29, 2011

cat

Chomp8645 posted:

I'm glad you recognize that someone saying literally the opposite of what your mock quote had them saying is in fact a relevant difference.

Perhaps you can learn from this.

Sorry buddy but this Reddit rear end in a top hat that you're trying to defend is actually an rear end in a top hat, and should have said that she wouldn't watch the kid if she wasn't going to watch the kid. But don't worry, I'll tell her how you white knighted for her and maybe she'll swing by to give you a handy later

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
You're getting really invested in this, buddy!

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Rubellavator posted:

There are in fact more things you could do before locking a child in a room with no escape.

Sure, but people have said no to both locking the kid in the freezer and the Stone Cold Stunner. We've exhausted all reasonable options here.

Rubellavator
Aug 16, 2007

Chomp8645 posted:

Medical emergency! Dr. Crusher beam directly to the bathroom!

Or he decides to drink the bleach under the sink.

Foo Diddley
Oct 29, 2011

cat

Chomp8645 posted:

You're getting really invested in this, buddy!

Yeah you're right actually. My bad, I'll knock it off

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
goons itt

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ry3dQu28K9A&t=38s

Squashing Machine
Jul 5, 2005

I mean boning, the wild mambo, the hunka chunka
Exploiting people for free childcare is pretty whack, especially if you've raised the kind of idiot that thinks a cat occupies the same categorical space as a box of Push Pops

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Foo Diddley posted:

Yeah you're right actually. My bad, I'll knock it off

Happens to the best of us.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Never ever let the kid out of your sight.*

*people in this thread.

StrangersInTheNight
Dec 31, 2007
ABSOLUTE FUCKING GUDGEON

Smirking_Serpent posted:

Edit: This situation fits this subreddit because my friend thinks it's racist of me to say this. I don't know if it's racist, I know you can be racist against white people but is it really racism when you're racist against those who are bigots?

i know we like to bag on everything wrong with america, but the british really are the OG's at this poo poo, goddamn

cumshitter
Sep 27, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Brits are so racist they decided they would rather destroy their country and economy rather than let blonde haired, blue eyed Polish people travel there freely.

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

i was gonna say that she probably wouldn't be seeing actual combat but OP is gonna end up strafing scottish independence protestors in 2029 or whenever

The Bramble
Mar 16, 2004

A Wizard of Goatse posted:

lot easier to keep unbroken surveillance on the kid when they're confined to a single small room with nothing to hide behind, so I gotta laud the OP for some quick improvisation in the absence of a Hannibal Lecter style big cage in the center of a warehouse

When Trump is voted out and we sort out our immigration crisis, there's gonna be a lot of empty ICE detention centers and unemployed guards looking for work. Thinking there's a good opportunity there to open a few High-Volume Babysitting Centers.

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

[29/F] Might need to uninvite a groomsmen [32/ M] from our wedding

quote:

TLDR; one of our groomsmen has proven that he can't behave himself at weddings, and he doesn't take the event seriously. Not sure if we should give him the chance to clean his act up or if we should just uninvite him from the wedding party now.

My fiance and I are getting married next fall and while we've already asked everyone to be in our wedding party, we're now realizing that one of the groomsmen should probably not be included. He has a drinking problem that is spiraling out of control. And particularly with the recent weddings we've attended with him, he has just gone completely balls to the wall--grabbing women/ bridesmaids, pushing the groom, peeing in public at the event. Etc.

Back in May this year he and my fiance were in the wedding party for another friend. He essentially blacked out prior to the ceremony and prior to the wedding photos. Apparently during the photos, he was sweaty and gross and hanging on all of the bridesmaids...trying to kiss them, pulling on their dresses, just completely gross and 100% NOT OKAY behavior. Prior to the ceremony and reception.

By the end of the night the groom had to step in after he grabbed someones butt, while her boyfriend was right there next to her, and there was a big altercation (obviously). This included the groomsmen actually PUSHING THE GROOM in the middle of it all. In the following days my fiance tried to rally the friend group to have a proper intervention, but they all essentially brushed it under the rug, and instead had a series of "private talks" with him to avoid hurting his feelings.

That was a day that should have been a turning point, but it wasn't. Flash forward to this last weekend, we just spent a 3 day weekend out of town with him for another wedding. To no one's surprise, he was basically on the verge of blackout from sun up to sun down for the entirety of the trip. At the wedding he continues to pound drinks and blacks out. Everyone was stuck babysitting him, trying to police his drinking etc.

This was a small wedding and the bride only had one bridesmaid, her sister. Low and behold he made his way over to her and starts the same routine of grabbing on her and trying to kiss her neck, while her long time boyfriend is IN THE ROOM! Of course he doesnt remember any of this and just thinks the wedding was a great night.

His behavior is disgusting and my fiance and I are in agreement that this can absolutely NOT happen at our wedding. At this point he's made it clear that being a bridesmaid is like wearing a bullseye on your back, and I wont put my closest friends and family through that kind of gross sexist treatment. The other groomsmen should be able to have a good time rather than trying to wrangle him. And we'll be taking very expensive photos that I dont want ruined.

But this is someone my fiance has been very close with for 20 years. We considered giving him a warning now and then watching his behavior over the next few months to feel things out. But honestly deep down I just dont think he will change, if the first wedding incident wasnt enough for him to have a smidge of self reflection then I just don't know what will. I would rather cut him loose now, but of course my fiance wants to give him a bit of a chance to change

How can we go about bringing this up to him? Whenever hes confronted he just defaults to blaming his depression. Should we even give this a 2nd thought, or should we just remove him from the situation now?

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

LadyPictureShow posted:

if a 32 year old man is behaving like a substantial alcoholic then you owe it to the guy to tighten down on the social consequences for his unacceptable behavior. private talks and emotional coddling isn't going to work. shunning might not work either, it might make things worse, but at least he won't ruin your wedding

Power Khan
Aug 20, 2011

by Fritz the Horse

LadyPictureShow posted:

The update to this is going to be so great, when the dude tries to gently caress the cake and molest the bride's mother

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop

Rubellavator posted:

Keep an eye on the kid then you loving moron. It's not okay to physically lock children into rooms you loving idiots

Actually its fine. In this case, good, even.

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop

cumshitter posted:

Brits are so racist they decided they would rather destroy their country and economy rather than let blonde haired, blue eyed Polish people travel there freely.

Even when the polish people build houses for them.

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

Every wedding story I read in this thread makes "bride, groom, two cats, nacho chips" sound better and better

Taberquol
Jun 16, 2012

Broach the subject by saying all the bridemaids quit when they found out who was coming.

gvibes
Jan 18, 2010

Leading us to the promised land (i.e., one tournament win in five years)

DemoneeHo posted:

I can't tell you that you aren't allowed to feel weird about it, but that sounds like a reasonable age gap for dad and his gf
Yeah, in isolation 42-31 does not seem ridiculous. Should the fact that he had a daughter at 17 change that? I don't know.

Ebola Roulette
Sep 13, 2010

No matter what you win lose ragepiss.

DemoneeHo posted:

I can't tell you that you aren't allowed to feel weird about it, but that sounds like a reasonable age gap for dad and his gf

Reasonable age gap if you're a dad is your grown kid's age plus 7

LyonsLions
Oct 10, 2008

I'm only using 18% of my full power !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
The real question is why does the babysitting redditor live next door to Dwight Schrute.

caterpillaropera
Aug 31, 2004

Who's gonna teach you to bump and grind?
Buglord

Rubellavator posted:

We've already established this is actually a perk included in the upgrade package of the "locked in a closet" experience.

caterpillaropera fucked around with this message at 22:25 on Sep 18, 2019

Hobo Clown
Oct 16, 2012

Here it is, Baby.
Your killer track.

Rubellavator posted:

Kid apparently needs ice cubes in his drinks so this won't be a problem unless the bathroom has another freezer

DragQueenofAngmar
Dec 29, 2009

You shall not pass!
she needs to tell the mom she can’t watch the kid anymore, and if (when given her attitude) the mom just drops him off anyway, call CPS

dudeness
Mar 5, 2010

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
Fallen Rib
Don't put fur baby in the freezer, don't lock real baby in bathroom.

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

The Bramble posted:

When Trump is voted out and we sort out our immigration crisis, there's gonna be a lot of empty ICE detention centers and unemployed guards looking for work. Thinking there's a good opportunity there to open a few High-Volume Babysitting Centers.

Wait... is this what we did with all those FEMA camps the conspiracists were going on about back in 2009? :tinfoil:

Coredump fucked around with this message at 22:57 on Sep 18, 2019

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

Rubellavator posted:

If the kid can’t be left alone in a bathroom because he might start drinking bleach for fun, that’s extremely special needs.

Ziv Zulander
Mar 24, 2017

ZZ for short

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

If the kid can’t be left alone in a bathroom because he might start drinking bleach for fun, that’s extremely special needs.

He might start drinking bleach to hurt himself because he’s lashing out

OP shouldn’t have agreed to watch the kid, the mom shouldn’t have asked, they’re all terrible

bell jar
Feb 25, 2009

this derail is making me wish i could get locked in a bathroom and drink bleach

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012
in the room where you sleep
What do you even do if the kid you’re babysitting tries to murder your cat like that

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

HIJK posted:

What do you even do if the kid you’re babysitting tries to murder your cat like that

Obv. you watch them better.

:rolleyes:

Ziv Zulander
Mar 24, 2017

ZZ for short

HIJK posted:

If you’ve got the patience of a saint then you do your best to try and make him sit quietly until his parents come and get him, not letting him out of your sight in the meantime

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

HIJK posted:

I wonder what would happen if you called the cops. Please note: I am not endorsing this course of action.