Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

Lil Peeler posted:

The only thing better than her is all of the marketing materials surrounding her that means dick all

To be fair she's done more than fan favorite Boba Fett

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

characters like phasma and bobba fett may not do a lot on the screen but they likely make up for it in action figure sales

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!

Applewhite posted:

To be fair she's done more than fan favorite Boba Fett

Boba Fett:
Tracked the Falcon by being the only guy to figure out Han's garbage trick.
Flirted with ladies in Jabba's Palace so you know the chicks dig him.
Uhh... Tied Luke up with that cool wire gun for two seconds.

Phasma:
Surrendered without resistance and died.
Died again.

Honestly I have to give Boba the win.

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

galagazombie posted:

Boba Fett:

Phasma:
Died again.

Hmm. Yeah I suppose.

Mr. Merdle
Oct 17, 2007

THE GREAT MANBABY SUCCESSOR

Earwicker posted:

characters like phasma and bobba fett may not do a lot on the screen but they likely make up for it in action figure sales

Actually weren't a lot of the phasma toys thrown into landfills because no one gave a gently caress about them?
:goonsay:

TheMostFrench
Jul 12, 2009

Stop for me, it's the claw!

Cosmik Slop posted:

I literally cannot tell you the first thing about this character other than "shiny armor, woman". It's almost amazing what a complete null they've created.

I immediately had to think back to if they had shown her face or anything to set her apart. No, she is shiny stormtrooper with a cape.

Mooey Cow
Jan 27, 2018

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Pillbug

galagazombie posted:

Boba Fett:

Phasma:
Died again.

Boba Fett is introduced by Vader telling him specifically "No disintegrations" and he's like "yeah fine", and is the only one in the movie apart from the emperor that commands some respect from Vader. Phasma is by contrast a total joke, then gets thrown in the trash.

The writers heard the fans laughing about "hey you know Fett is just a guy in a cool hat who doesn't ever do anything then dies hilariously" and figured if they made a character with a cool hat who does nothing and dies hilariously then everyone's gonna be all over that poo poo.

Kazak
Jan 10, 2012

Fett is a catalyst for the plot moving forward in the second half of empire, and his pursuit/capture of han solo results in the iconic carbonite freezing scene. He doesn't do much on screen but his presence in the story has gravity which is more than you can say about some characters who get a lot of screentime in the new trilogy

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E-AmHZ17gWM

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

Kazak posted:

Fett is a catalyst for the plot moving forward in the second half of empire, and his pursuit/capture of han solo results in the iconic carbonite freezing scene. He doesn't do much on screen but his presence in the story has gravity which is more than you can say about some characters who get a lot of screentime in the new trilogy

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E-AmHZ17gWM

Did they redub Boba's line? I remember "He's worth a lot to me" being more sort of a slow growl.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

Applewhite posted:

Did they redub Boba's line? I remember "He's worth a lot to me" being more sort of a slow growl.

Yes, one of the endless parade of remastered versions redubbed all his dialogue with Temuera Morrison (Jango)

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

skasion posted:

Yes, one of the endless parade of remastered versions redubbed all his dialogue with Temuera Morrison (Jango)

George Lucas will burn in hell for what he's done.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Applewhite posted:

George Lucas will burn in hell for what he's done.

He sold his life’s work to Disney, he’s already there

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
Yeah when you actually look at it, Fett may not have much more screen time than Phasma, he has way more bearing on the plot than she does. Phasma is a wasted throwaway character.

Fett isn't like, integral to the Star Wars experience, but he does move the plot at some points and has connections to some of the core cast.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Fun interview with the guy in the Fett suit

Kazak
Jan 10, 2012

Rewatching that clip I realize just how annoying c3po is, he just punctures the atmosphere for no good reason

I haven't watched these movies in a while and now I'm reflecting on any scene he's in and wondering what he brings to the movies? He's not even the funniest droid

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Threepio is funny. You’re not supposed to think he’s cool. There’s a running gag in ESB about how he can’t read the room and pisses everyone off. He’s fussy, high-strung, clumsy, has few practical skills, and is generally the last person you would think of to be fighting in a guerilla war against a brutal dictatorship, which is why it’s funny that he keeps getting roped into doing just that. In ANH and ROTJ and a little bit in ESB, he also serves as a comic foil to R2’s unflappability, competence, and drive, which are themselves funny because they come from a nonverbal midget in a trash can.

e: also, it’s important to the movies’ social commentary to see how various characters treat slaves like R2 and Threepio. So, for example, Luke going from thinking of R2 as a rebellious little bastard who’s going to earn him a whooping, to his good old war buddy at the end of ANH, gives us a perspective on Luke’s character that we wouldn’t otherwise get. “A great man shows his greatness by the way he treats lesser men.”

skasion fucked around with this message at 16:15 on Sep 18, 2019

poisonpill
Nov 8, 2009

The only way to get huge fast is to insult a passing witch and hope she curses you with Beast-strength.

Interesting they asked about Ford and Fisher arguing all during filming of that scene.

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

Burns
May 10, 2008

Treepio is the reason why the rebels win at endor.

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

"If ANY of my servos or circuits can be of use to help him I'll gladly-"
*Rebel technicians immediately pick him up at the shoulders and ankles and march directly into the smelting room to heave-ho him in, "my word!"ing It in the whole way down*

Mooey Cow
Jan 27, 2018

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Pillbug
Someone programmed him that way. Imagine what kind of market research they must have done when they decided to make the translator droid a nervous coward who thinks clothes dry faster when it's cold.

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!

Mooey Cow posted:

Someone programmed him that way. Imagine what kind of market research they must have done when they decided to make the translator droid a nervous coward who thinks clothes dry faster when it's cold.

Literally the Dark Lord of the Sith made him that way

Mooey Cow
Jan 27, 2018

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Pillbug
He just put him back together after someone got fed up and threw him in the trash and stole his skin.

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen

ikanreed posted:

Literally the Dark Lord of the Sith made him that way

Hey mom I know were slaves and all and life really sucks, but I made this robot that does nothing but bitch and moan and nitpick! Don't you love it mom hey wait why are you giving me to these weird old guys wait gently caress

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

CharlestonJew posted:

Hey mom I know were slaves and all and life really sucks, but I made this robot that does nothing but bitch and moan and nitpick! Don't you love it mom hey wait why are you giving me to these weird old guys wait gently caress

This explains everything

Kazak
Jan 10, 2012

I am a nagging protocol droid

I will nag you

Chrs
Sep 21, 2015

Mooey Cow posted:

Nah he was saying the clothes would never dry in the cold

Mooey Cow
Jan 27, 2018

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Pillbug
At best he's blaming R2 for turning on the heat and soaking the Princess's clothes when the ice presumably thawed :thunk:

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

I shouldn't be surprised that people could misunderstand even a simple joke like that

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs
"Back then, you see, robots were slow-moving, stiff, and a little on the uptight side."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sRgAj_olai4

Hogger
Sep 8, 2019

Empty Sandwich posted:

"Back then, you see, robots were slow-moving, stiff, and a little on the uptight side."

Ye olde tin can alley

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

Empty Sandwich posted:

I can't decide if that's comical, yet horrifying - or horrifying, yet comical.

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler
No trailer is ever really gone.

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser
So glad there’s people on horses in my space movie trailer.

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler
The Emperor riding around in a Space Rascal has got to be worth a few chuckles.

Justin Godscock
Oct 12, 2004

Listen here, funnyman!
I honestly wonder if they are going to explain how Palpatine survived getting blown up in a Death Star reactor then having the entire Death Star blow up. I mean, if all we see is the remains of his body in a mechwalker (and nothing more) or whatever then I will just laugh.

I mean, I'm still waiting for an explanation as to how Luke's old lightsabre was recovered from Bespin and ended up with Rey.

See you all there opening day.

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

Justin Godscock posted:

I honestly wonder if they are going to explain how Palpatine survived getting blown up in a Death Star reactor then having the entire Death Star blow up. I mean, if all we see is the remains of his body in a mechwalker (and nothing more) or whatever then I will just laugh.

I mean, I'm still waiting for an explanation as to how Luke's old lightsabre was recovered from Bespin and ended up with Rey.

LOL, look at this guy going into a JJ Abrams movie looking for outlandish things like "explanations" or "coherence".

Runaktla
Feb 21, 2007

by Hand Knit

CharlestonJew posted:

Resurrecting this post from a lil bit ago, this is golden.

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

Justin Godscock posted:

Some aliens taught him Instant Transmission obviously

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kilus aof
Mar 24, 2001

Justin Godscock posted:

It was just his stunt double that died.