Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hedningen
May 4, 2013

Enough sideburns to last a lifetime.

nesbit37 posted:

Not sure if I should still be posting this stuff in this thread since Bee Lives is no long on Kickstarter, but I don't know where else to put it. Anyway, bees in the news! Well, sort of. Science just put their review about Bee Lives up, which still blows my mind that they review board games (ok, they've reviewed 4 board games in 130 years). Anyway, pretty big deal at least in my world. They are the 2nd most influential general science journal in academia, just behind Nature.

https://blogs.sciencemag.org/books/2019/09/17/bee-lives/

Now you just need to get a review in Nature. C’mon, why settle for just one?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Anyone know what the deal with Brazil shipping prices is? It seems like whenever its quoted it's something like 5x the next highest price, and I swear I remember seeing a kickstarter that listed something like "Brazil: Arrange to have the game shipped to someone in another country you can pick it from" in its shipping section.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

The Moon Monster posted:

Anyone know what the deal with Brazil shipping prices is? It seems like whenever its quoted it's something like 5x the next highest price, and I swear I remember seeing a kickstarter that listed something like "Brazil: Arrange to have the game shipped to someone in another country you can pick it from" in its shipping section.

I would guess "the insane fascist running Brazil has decided to try to milk the import process for as much as he can."

nesbit37
Dec 12, 2003
Emperor of Rome
(500 BC - 500 AD)
It's because no one wants to ship Brazil. It is notorious for losing packages, and then people expect it to be reshipped, and then their postal service loses it again, and they want you to reship it again, ad nauseum...

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
man i really want to back that mech game but shipping is going to be insane

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Doorknob Slobber posted:

shipping is going to be insane

:confused:

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

the usa at least is dropping out of the international shipping union next month so I wouldn't put any faith in any estimates rough or exact

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Doorknob Slobber posted:

the usa at least is dropping out of the international shipping union next month so I wouldn't put any faith in any estimates rough or exact

Yeah this is the real problem. They're estimating prices to triple on shipping to/from US.

Cthulhu Dreams
Dec 11, 2010

If I pretend to be Cthulhu no one will know I'm a baseball robot.

Kwyndig posted:

Yeah this is the real problem. They're estimating prices to triple on shipping to/from US.

Shouldn't using cargo shipping (and not the postal service) to a distribution centre in the US and then shipping from there insulate against the worst of it?

Postal shipping to/from the US is a big unknown though.

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010
isn't cargo shipping how most of the Big KS's do stuff anyway

Flavivirus
Dec 14, 2011

The next stage of evolution.
Brazil is a nightmare to shop products into, yeah. This is mainly because you need to pay import duty on a commercial package when it arrives, and the only way to do this is to have your company registered and based in Brazil. It’s actually been this way longer than Bolsonaro was in power - we had this problem with the Legacy 2e kickstarter, particularly relevant cause my co-author was Brazilian. We ended up sending him like 20 copies as ‘author gifts’, and I’m sure he did nothing as unethical as sending some on afterwards to kickstarter backers.

WereGoat
Apr 28, 2017

New edition of SLA Industries is being kickstarted the now-

SLA Industries: 2nd Edition

If you've not heard of it, it's a Splatterpunk, horror-noir-y sci- fi setting set in a horrible corporate dystopia. You play as operatives, highly trained individuals who sign on at the job centre every day to be sent on deadly, grimy missions to make ends meet use their skills on exciting missions in service to SLA Industries!

It's already funded, and the stretch goals all seem reasonable.

hexa
Dec 10, 2004

And the day came when the risk to remain tight in a bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom
Weirdly, I came here to search for SLA posts to back up an argument on Facebook.

It's worth reading through this thread to find out why I have little in the way of hope for another SLA kickstarter.

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

The archmage of unexpected stinks.

nesbit37 posted:

It's because no one wants to ship Brazil. It is notorious for losing packages, and then people expect it to be reshipped, and then their postal service loses it again, and they want you to reship it again, ad nauseum...

Apparently the Italian mail system is largely the same? I did a custom run of shirts last year for listeners, and we had an italian buyer, so when I researched how to mail there all the websites I found were like "Mail that poo poo to Switzerland and have someone drive it down, everyone in Italian mail is a corrupt thief."

Might have just been some good old-fashioned prejudice, I dunno.

Bistromatic
Oct 3, 2004

And turn the inner eye
To see its path...

theironjef posted:

Apparently the Italian mail system is largely the same? I did a custom run of shirts last year for listeners, and we had an italian buyer, so when I researched how to mail there all the websites I found were like "Mail that poo poo to Switzerland and have someone drive it down, everyone in Italian mail is a corrupt thief."

Might have just been some good old-fashioned prejudice, I dunno.

I work with an Italian architect who said she specifically left the country because she got sick of all the corruption and bribery she had to deal with so i wouldn't be surprised if the mail system has similar issues.

nesbit37
Dec 12, 2003
Emperor of Rome
(500 BC - 500 AD)
There are many problem countries for shipping. Brazil gets brought up all the time, though. It is definitely the most infamous for shipping woes on KS. When I was setting things up for Bee Lives my EU Fulfillment partner, who was also doing our RoW orders, strongly urged me to not to ship to a bunch of countries because in their experience, they always just resulted in costing more for the creator in the long run for resending packages and extra games. This list was so long I put one up instead of countries we would ship to, which is:

European Union, USA, Australia, Bahrain, Bermuda, Canada, Chile, Faroe Islands, French Polynesia, Gibraltar, Hong Kong, Iceland, Israel, Japan, Kuwait, Liechtenstein, Macao, Monaco, Malaysia, Norway, New Zealand, Qatar, Saudi Arabia, Singapore, South Korea, Switzerland, Taiwan, Thailand, United Arab Emirates

nesbit37 fucked around with this message at 16:31 on Sep 18, 2019

WereGoat
Apr 28, 2017

glitchkrieg posted:

Weirdly, I came here to search for SLA posts to back up an argument on Facebook.

It's worth reading through this thread to find out why I have little in the way of hope for another SLA kickstarter.

Yeah, I get that, though I think that had a lot to do with the old one being a minis Kickstarter; this one being a book should have fewer issues. A new minis system, new range of minis, plus RPG rules all seems like it was a big ask. This just being a book and GM screen send a lot more manageable.

Plus, after the minis Kickstarter failed, the Nighfall people put together and self-funded production of a book full of RPG stuff to go with the minis game, and it was really nice, good production, content, and art throughout. Delivered it alongside the minis from the Kickstarter, it was really good.

That's less of a "they delivered eventually", and more of a "they have produced a high quality book recently", so I think they should have a handle on what's needed to produce a good RPG book, content, effort, and cost-wise.

But it's fair enough to be wary; at this point it's funded so if you're interested but worried, buying it retail after seems a decent option.

Warthur
May 2, 2004

I'm currently not 100% sold on maintaining my pledge to the SLA Industries Kickstarter (I pledged so I could ask questions in the comments).

Main point of concern is that they seem to be super-keen on the idea of them telling this lovely story over the course of the product line, which reeks of metaplot poo poo where the game designers treat the GM and players alike as audience rather than realising that their job is to provide the GM and players with the tools they need to do their own story, rather than presenting a centrally-dictated story for them to coo at.

It's very 1990s, and if the thinking of the SLA Industries guys hasn't actually moved on from 1993, why should I move on from my 1993 copy of the rulebook, yaknow?

HidaO-Win
Jun 5, 2013

"And I did it, because I was a man who had exhausted reason and thus turned to magicks"
SLA is a strange RPG.

I’ve always been a fan of the setting for just how weird it is and the bleakly poetic nature of a lot of the setting and prose. It’s also an intensely political RPG in a way that’ll completely pass by anyone who didn’t live in Glasgow, Scotland in the 80s/90s.

It’s being a special operations soldier, sitting for three hours in a dole office waiting for a job where you will use a smart gun or predator wrist knives to kill rat-men or giant evil pigs in a sewer for maybe the price of your bullets back, those other guys you fought don’t count because you weren’t issued the paperwork for them.

It’s a game about climbing the greasy pole of corporate politics, where in the background reality has probably been molded to the whims of your insane company founder.

It’s Shadowrun, set in Scotland, where there is only one megacorp and you all work for it as disposable highly trained troopers for a city that is bluntly envious of your standard of living. Also the city is surrounded by a post apocalyptic wasteland.

They are in the midst of revising the back story and changing the game mechanics.

I’m mostly positive about the games revised backstory, they are explaining the metaphysics more, the Truth is very different and isn’t as caustic to your enjoyment of the game. They have a QuickStart out as a rules preview and they seem to be changing from their old crazy system with different numbers of actions to dice pool/single combat action model which I’m ambivalent towards as dice pool/single action is fairly flavorless as an RPG system. It’s better than doing 5e D&D or a random PbtA/FATE skin I suppose.

I thought around the time of the credit crunch was actually the time to revisit SLA and tell the story of the fall of SLA as the fall of capitalism but I’m not sure they are going to go in that direction at all and I’m not sure how well Shadowrun: Wageslave Glasgow plays in the current environment of RPGs. When I was talking to WordForge about it at the UK Games Expo I encouraged them to get out a great adventure or campaign to help sell the setting and the play loop and they indicated they had plans in that direction at least.

Regardless I’ve backed it.

potatocubed
Jul 26, 2012

*rathian noises*
On the plus side, the collapse of Shadowrun 6e offers something of an opening for an astutely marketed cyberpunk-plus-monsters game.

Warthur
May 2, 2004

Collapse? What's happened with Shadowrun 6E? I knew they had a new edition out and it was janky and had a backlash but that seems par for the course for post-FASA editions of the game.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Warthur posted:

Collapse? What's happened with Shadowrun 6E? I knew they had a new edition out and it was janky and had a backlash but that seems par for the course for post-FASA editions of the game.

A prominent Actual Play group abandoned it publicly in a two hour livestream of the many problems it presented them with.

Flail Snail
Jul 30, 2019

Collector of the Obscure
Here's their recording of the stream.

One of the many problems is that they had to houserule boatloads of crap within the first two episodes. They seem like cool people as well and didn't want to make prospective players think the game was more playable than it is.

potatocubed
Jul 26, 2012

*rathian noises*
Yeah, maybe I overstated it with 'collapse'. Sounds like a real bad version of the game though.

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

Poor Shadowrun. It deserves so much better.

Carteret
Nov 10, 2012

Flipswitch posted:

Shadowrun: Thought of Edge and died.

Zurui
Apr 20, 2005
Even now...

Flipswitch posted:

Counterpoint: no it doesn't.

Joe Slowboat
Nov 9, 2016

Higgledy-Piggledy Whale Statements

But without Shadowrun, how will the bulk order neon d6 industry stay in business?

SilverMike
Sep 17, 2007

TBD

Joe Slowboat posted:

But without Shadowrun, how will the bulk order neon d6 industry stay in business?

In the grimdark future of neon d6s, Warhammer 40K is all you need.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

potatocubed
Jul 26, 2012

*rathian noises*
'cortexrpg.com' is a dead link?

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

potatocubed posted:

'cortexrpg.com' is a dead link?

Works for me?

I have never had an interest in Cortex so I don't really have much context for what this means for the project. It seems kind of weird that a fanwiki host bought an RPG?

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

That Old Tree posted:

Works for me?

I have never had an interest in Cortex so I don't really have much context for what this means for the project. It seems kind of weird that a fanwiki host bought an RPG?

Fandom actually bought the people who made the D&D Beyond digital toolset last year, which helps explain why they might be interested in branching out more in that direction, though honestly Cortex seems like a strange followup.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Warthur posted:

In short: the game designers weren't competent, the editors... didn't apparently edit anything, and they skipped playesting to get to print before GenCon.

6e is so bad the Actual Play groups who got it early to do promos for it are dropping out because they'd need to houserule entire central mechanics to be playable.

Edit: When I say 'not competent' I mean they failed the basic mathematical underpinnings of their ruleset such that attributes and skills are priced the same for advancement, but differently in character creation, such that you can have as much as a 100 karma swing building the same character sheet depending on your order of operations. Not to mention all the rules copy/pasted from 5e that reference things like Limits which no longer exist in the new mechanics, and leaving out other rules like what a starting Essence rating should be because the editors were making assumptions based on prior knowledge rather than reading the text.

Liquid Communism fucked around with this message at 10:27 on Sep 19, 2019

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

nesbit37 posted:

Not sure if I should still be posting this stuff in this thread since Bee Lives is no long on Kickstarter, but I don't know where else to put it. Anyway, bees in the news! Well, sort of. Science just put their review about Bee Lives up, which still blows my mind that they review board games (ok, they've reviewed 4 board games in 130 years). Anyway, pretty big deal at least in my world. They are the 2nd most influential general science journal in academia, just behind Nature.

https://blogs.sciencemag.org/books/2019/09/17/bee-lives/

I see your failed Goon project is going to be at Spiel this year. Will the failed Goon also be in attendance?

Warthur
May 2, 2004

Liquid Communism posted:

In short: the game designers weren't competent, the editors... didn't apparently edit anything, and they skipped playesting to get to print before GenCon.

6e is so bad the Actual Play groups who got it early to do promos for it are dropping out because they'd need to houserule entire central mechanics to be playable.

Edit: When I say 'not competent' I mean they failed the basic mathematical underpinnings of their ruleset such that attributes and skills are priced the same for advancement, but differently in character creation, such that you can have as much as a 100 karma swing building the same character sheet depending on your order of operations. Not to mention all the rules copy/pasted from 5e that reference things like Limits which no longer exist in the new mechanics, and leaving out other rules like what a starting Essence rating should be because the editors were making assumptions based on prior knowledge rather than reading the text.
I watched the Roll4It video posted earlier in the thread and it seemed pretty damning. You could tell that they didn't want to completely trash the game, but equally based on their reports it sounds like anything short of completely trashing it wouldn't be an honest representation of what the game is like.

nesbit37
Dec 12, 2003
Emperor of Rome
(500 BC - 500 AD)

Jedit posted:

I see your failed Goon project is going to be at Spiel this year. Will the failed Goon also be in attendance?

Indeed he shall. We're on hall 5, booth 5k108. Will be interesting. Never been to Spiel, attendee or otherwise, and it's been a decade since I've been to Germany.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

nesbit37 posted:

Indeed he shall. We're on hall 5, booth 5k108. Will be interesting. Never been to Spiel, attendee or otherwise, and it's been a decade since I've been to Germany.

Spiel is amazing, and it's a shame you won't be able to see it as a visitor. You're on my list of places to visit already, so I shall see you there.

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.

That Old Tree posted:

Works for me?

MargretWeisProductions built their brand around licensing properties to shove into Cortex, so if a fanwiki were going to buy a RPG it would be cortex. I think it’s more weird that they owned Beyond.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

Looks like Deviant has launched and much like Contagion Chronicle it really doesn't seem all that interesting to me.

At this pace it will probably fund within a few hours, which is a little slow for OPP. I remember Contagion and Dark Eras 2 also weren't their usual runaway money toboggan, but I seem to recall Dark Eras 1 was huge, and Changeling (was that the last CoD KS before Contagion?) and the Trinity books have been doing pretty well. So I remain pretty skeptical of the notion of Kickstarter fatigue, and more convinced these newer lines of development just aren't attractive to the customer base. (It's still going to be ridiculously successful by more normal standards.)

Edit: Oh no the last CoD KS was Geist which looks like it did pretty well.

That Old Tree fucked around with this message at 18:02 on Sep 19, 2019