Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

Nessus posted:

As opposed to how many interesting Vulcans? Romulans?

All, and all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Humerus
Jul 7, 2009

Rule of acquisition #111:
Treat people in your debt like family...exploit them.

If it's ratio of interesting:named I submit Andorians. I mean before Enterprise were there even any named Andorians?

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Humerus posted:

If it's ratio of interesting:named I submit Andorians. I mean before Enterprise were there even any named Andorians?
There are barely any, period, before ENT. Which was always odd since it's established early on that the Andorians and Tellarites are founders of the Federation. I don't think we even see Tellarites in the background in TNG/DS9/VOY.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Humerus posted:

Thelev, from Journey to Babel.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Timby posted:

Thelev, from Journey to Babel.

You mean Shras right? Because Thelev...

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

Were those prosthetic elements foam latex? If so that would have been a miserable shot to shoot soaking wet.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

marktheando posted:

Most Bajoran men are boring, especially Kira's love interests.

Even the guy who was resistance fighter turned president was dull as dishwater.

"I think we mishandled his character in this episode, and he never recovered after that. The first time we saw him he was Clint Eastwood, the foreigner, the man of few words, the terrorist. He became way too sensitive here. It just wasn't the same Shakaar." - ISB

(Referring to Crossfire, his second appearance)

Thereafter they had the problem that Regehr* was too expensive for the kind of short appearances where they could adjust the character gradually, so he appears for the birth of the O'Briens' baby and then never again.

*Who also played the Crusher sex ghost

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Baronjutter posted:

Notice how China and chinese people in general have very little mention or appearance in trek...

Angry Salami
Jul 27, 2013

Don't trust the skull.

FlamingLiberal posted:

There are barely any, period, before ENT. Which was always odd since it's established early on that the Andorians and Tellarites are founders of the Federation. I don't think we even see Tellarites in the background in TNG/DS9/VOY.

It actually wasn't established until Enterprise. Everyone sort of assumed that, because they're the only named Federation members in TOS besides Earth and Vulcan, and Enterprise ran with it.

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

Angry Salami posted:

It actually wasn't established until Enterprise. Everyone sort of assumed that, because they're the only named Federation members in TOS besides Earth and Vulcan, and Enterprise ran with it.

look at this dude who forgot about the tellarites

Number_6
Jul 23, 2006

BAN ALL GAS GUZZLERS

(except for mine)
Pillbug

It's a miracle that Spock doesn't think humans are just the dumbest, most backward sentient life in the galaxy. (Or maybe he does, and just keeps it to himself.)

Admiralty Flag
Jun 7, 2007

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

e, and a long one, based on ^^^: Spock is continually doing poo poo like wondering aloud how humanity managed to make it into space instead of just glassing the entire planet in WW3.

We could go back and forth on this -- I could never prove it -- but I'm convinced that a lot of the barbs he throws at humans are genuine and not joshing, and are thrown because of his frustration of being around slow-witted, emotional, irrational, insipid humans 24/7. It must feel a lot like the Flash does when he listens to Apache Chief trying to finish a sentence. (thanks to Seanbaby for that lovely analogy.)

McCoy gets the worst of it not just because he's close with Kirk or that he needles Spock (often initiating it), but McCoy is supposed to be the other brilliant man of science aboard the ship yet he acts (in Spock's eyes) like a moron. The contempt in his voice during Patterns of Force when he's instructing McCoy how to put on a boot, using small words and simple sentences, is palpable.

Now why Spock wasted even a second mentoring Chekov? :iiam: Best explanation is that Spock noticed that Chekov had telepathic powers, extremely rare for a human, and subtly encouraged him to leave Starfleet and instead join this newly-formed organization called "Psi Corps." Of course, being a spook now, he had to change his name, and declared to Spock that "Mother Russia is best, and I am best among all comrades in Mother Russia due to my gifts, so that makes me even Bester!" Spock never picked up his communicator again when he saw the Russian's number on caller ID.

The Bloop posted:

Klingons are obviously the most interesting.

By percentage it's probably betazoids or denobulans

Pakleds!

Seriously, Bolians are super-interesting, in spite of and not because of Mr. Mot -- solely on the strength of that one badass-looking Bolian Captain from S1 Conspiracy. A top alien character design probably not matched on TNG until the Nausicaans, and they were mostly derivative anyway. (Now watch, I've forgotten something super obvious like...duh, the Borg.)

Admiralty Flag fucked around with this message at 06:13 on Sep 19, 2019

Zurui
Apr 20, 2005
Even now...

Number_6 posted:

It's a miracle that Spock doesn't think humans are just the dumbest, most backward sentient life in the galaxy. (Or maybe he does, and just keeps it to himself.)

He literally says this at the end of "Mirror, Mirror."

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Admiralty Flag posted:

Seriously, Bolians are super-interesting, in spite of and not because of Mr. Mot -- solely on the strength of that one badass-looking Bolian Captain from S1 Conspiracy. A top alien character design probably not matched on TNG until the Nausicaans, and they were mostly derivative anyway. (Now watch, I've forgotten something super obvious like...duh, the Borg.)

Also what they canonically do to toilets.

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

Number_6 posted:

I watched the season 3 episode "Mark of Gideon" last night (Kirk disappears while beaming down to a xenophobic planet) and Jesus, Spock is so done with humans in that one. He constantly berates crewmembers for subjectivities and chides a female bridge officer for not mentioning the full amount of numbers behind the comma when reporting.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
Saw TMP tonight with Pick. I agree with the other poster that the effects really work on the big screen (especially where they're showing how tiny the Enterprise is compared to V'ger), but at least as important in my opinion is having the theater sound system giving the sounds and music added punch.

Also I feel like Persis Khambatta's performance on the movie is underrated, she does a lot of work with her eyes and face.

One thing I noticed is that a color error on the Bluray was also present in the screening:

Hipster_Doofus
Dec 20, 2003

Lovin' every minute of it.

Grand Fromage posted:

Also what they canonically do to toilets.

I always thought that was some gag that got started here or wherever and this got me to finally look it up.

Well, poo poo. (:v:)

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

One thing I noticed is that a color error on the Bluray was also present in the screening:

What am I not noticing here?

Hipster_Doofus fucked around with this message at 08:47 on Sep 19, 2019

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

Saw TMP tonight with Pick. I agree with the other poster that the effects really work on the big screen (especially where they're showing how tiny the Enterprise is compared to V'ger), but at least as important in my opinion is having the theater sound system giving the sounds and music added punch.

Also I feel like Persis Khambatta's performance on the movie is underrated, she does a lot of work with her eyes and face.

I love those shots that show how big starships are in Trek, always bugged me that they didn't take advantage of the ability to really show that scale when they moved to CGI.

It's one thing Discovery does well, a sense of scale of these vessels. We either have close in human scale shots of the ships, or see them as little specks against planets and the like.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

MrL_JaKiri posted:

"I think we mishandled his character in this episode, and he never recovered after that. The first time we saw him he was Clint Eastwood, the foreigner, the man of few words, the terrorist. He became way too sensitive here. It just wasn't the same Shakaar." - ISB

(Referring to Crossfire, his second appearance)

Thereafter they had the problem that Regehr* was too expensive for the kind of short appearances where they could adjust the character gradually, so he appears for the birth of the O'Briens' baby and then never again.

Interesting. So they did realise he was very tedious.

quote:

*Who also played the Crusher sex ghost

Holy poo poo

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

Baronjutter posted:

Notice how China and chinese people in general have very little mention or appearance in trek...

Previous to Discovery that might be true, but Michelle Yeoh's prime universe character stans Zheng He pretty hard.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Kesper North posted:

Previous to Discovery that might be true, but Michelle Yeoh's prime universe character stans Zheng He pretty hard.

The character herself is Malaysian, though.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

davidspackage posted:

I watched the season 3 episode "Mark of Gideon" last night (Kirk disappears while beaming down to a xenophobic planet) and Jesus, Spock is so done with humans in that one. He constantly berates crewmembers for subjectivities and chides a female bridge officer for not mentioning the full amount of numbers behind the comma when reporting.

I also watched that somewhat recently and I was assuming the whole time that Spock was going to reveal some kind of master plan for why he was acting like that. But no, he was just weirdly written in that episode. Lots of weird writing in that one though. There ended up not being much of a point to the whole "make Kirk believe he's on the Enterprise" bit. Well, aside from not having to build any new sets...

Ramadu
Aug 25, 2004

2015 NFL MVP

So I'm finally getting around to watching TOS after trying probably a dozen times before and it just never clicked.

This show is bugfuck crazy. Every episode of season 1 so far is absolutely insane frommstart to finish and I'm pretty much just :stare: the whole time. Kirk is nothing like what I was expecting from popular culture references and jjtrek. Balance of terror and what are little girls made of are probably my favorite episodes with a nod to that weird proto q episode but he's space Napoleon.

I'm on episode...28 I think, city on the edge of forever or something, supposed to be good and famous and also I guess some famous scifi author has been yelling about how much better his script was for 40 years

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Ramadu posted:

Kirk is nothing like what I was expecting from popular culture references and jjtrek.

Oh yeah it's honestly really fascinating the way the image of Kirk is so different from the show.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Well, that's not too surprising since the master made for the Blu-ray is the only one that exists in HD right now.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Hipster_Doofus posted:

What am I not noticing here?

The red stripes on the side of the engineering section are green. The drydock also is the wrong color.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

bull3964 posted:

Well, that's not too surprising since the master made for the Blu-ray is the only one that exists in HD right now.

I guess it confirms it's an issue with the master and not the Blu-ray then?

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

I guess it confirms it's an issue with the master and not the Blu-ray then?

Well, i mean, the only way it could be an issue with the blu-ray is if it was a compression artifact. The master is what determines everything about the color grade.

It's not something I've ever noticed since I'm colorblind and those stripes are too small for me to determine what color they actually are.

bull3964 fucked around with this message at 15:13 on Sep 19, 2019

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

That shot's also in TWOK, right? No issue there?

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

MikeJF posted:

Someone else would have to check. Also, you'd have to specify which one. There was the DVD master. It was remastered for blu-ray for its first release (and many people criticized the color timing). It was then remastered in 4k that's available in both an SDR and HDR grade.

Ramadu
Aug 25, 2004

2015 NFL MVP

MikeJF posted:

Oh yeah it's honestly really fascinating the way the image of Kirk is so different from the show.

I was talking to a friend and he mentioned that a lot of the popular culture could be explained because the first like 6 episodes all have a crazy version of Kirk doing rapey things, like when he was split into good and bad half's by space sulfur and they had to solve that mystery and I guess sulu froze to death.

But if you just saw those parts or only remembered them it would make sense that's how he was remembers. It's just funny that he's supposed to be a womanizer because the show constantly throws women at him but he's married to the Enterprise and at least where I'm at hasn't ever been anything more than professional. He's also, to my surprise, usually a step ahead of Spock in figuring out what the mystery is and how to solve it. It's really interesting.

Also McCoy is a space racist but that green blooded pointy haired bastard deserves it!!!

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

Ramadu posted:

So I'm finally getting around to watching TOS after trying probably a dozen times before and it just never clicked.

This show is bugfuck crazy. Every episode of season 1 so far is absolutely insane frommstart to finish and I'm pretty much just :stare: the whole time. Kirk is nothing like what I was expecting from popular culture references and jjtrek. Balance of terror and what are little girls made of are probably my favorite episodes with a nod to that weird proto q episode but he's space Napoleon.

I'm on episode...28 I think, city on the edge of forever or something, supposed to be good and famous and also I guess some famous scifi author has been yelling about how much better his script was for 40 years

Wait'll you get to TAS. I can sometimes smell the hash from my tablet.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

Ramadu posted:

I was talking to a friend and he mentioned that a lot of the popular culture could be explained because the first like 6 episodes all have a crazy version of Kirk doing rapey things, like when he was split into good and bad half's by space sulfur and they had to solve that mystery and I guess sulu froze to death.

Season 3 does have a lot of the "alien babe of the week" trope, after 2 seasons of not living up to the stereotype. I'm guessing because Shatner was getting bored or something.

Eighties ZomCom
Sep 10, 2008

Sir Lemming posted:

Season 3 does have a lot of the "alien babe of the week" trope, after 2 seasons of not living up to the stereotype. I'm guessing because Shatner was getting bored or something.

I'm watching through season 3 now and I can only think of one episode so far where Kirk hits on a woman without being under the influence of something or having an ulterior motive. Last episode I saw was The Cloud Minders and Spock was getting more attention from an alien babe than Kirk was.

Ramadu
Aug 25, 2004

2015 NFL MVP

McCoy pulls way more chicks than ol Jim Kirk

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Well he had the hands of a surgeon

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

MikeJF posted:

I don't think the issue's present on the TWOK bluray. But then another difference between TMP and TWOK in the departure sequence (that's been there since before the BDs, I think) is a shot where the Enterprise is coming straight over the camera - in TMP there's some dirt or something on the left side of the screen, but in TWOK it's clean.

Also I'm pretty sure the color is correct in pre-BD releases.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

EvilTaytoMan posted:

I'm watching through season 3 now and I can only think of one episode so far where Kirk hits on a woman without being under the influence of something or having an ulterior motive.

I mean if you qualify it like that, sure. But that's hardly ever the case on an episodic sci-fi show...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eighties ZomCom
Sep 10, 2008

Sir Lemming posted:

I mean if you qualify it like that, sure. But that's hardly ever the case on an episodic sci-fi show...

By ulterior motive I mean 'an alien that has taken over the ship has taken the form of a human woman and is feeling human emotions for the first time and Kirk seduces her in order to put her off balance long enough to retake the ship' which isn't quite the same as 'Kirk is a horndog hitting on the alien babe of the week'.