Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Afriscipio
Jun 3, 2013

Inspector 34 posted:

I need a cheap and durable tablet/case for my employees to use. These fuckers will destroy just about anything you put in front of them so I'm thinking about trying a Kindle fire with the little kids case. I'd prefer something with a strap or handle on it so they can run maybe run around with it without worrying about dropping it too often.

Also needs to be able to run an RDP compatible with a Windows server, which I think might disqualify the Fire. Oh, also I want to be able to lock the tablet into the RDP app.

I have a couple of spare iPad airs from 2015 that might work short term. Has Microsoft RDP and guided access but I'm worried about the cost of replacing them when they inevitably get dropped and break.

Samsung does a line of ruggedized tablets that are pretty good, I think they're called Galaxy Tab Active. I don't know if they're in your price range.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!
Check your router or see if the Wi-Fi channels suddenly became more crowded? Maybe your custom app is really resilient against dropped packets but the rdp client will poo poo the bed if it's not 100% perfect

Inspector 34
Mar 9, 2009

DOES NOT RESPECT THE RUN

BUT THEY WILL
That's a good point I hadn't thought of. I'll lock down our wifi and turn off the guest wifi and see if that helps. Thanks for the suggestions on other tablets too, I'll check em out!

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

FakePoet posted:

Anyone have any air purifiers they would highly recommend, especially with pet involvement? I'm alright spending a little if they're worth it, but my "gimmicky" alarm bells get triggered pretty easily so I'm never sure if I'm being fair in that regard.

We have had good luck with

https://smile.amazon.com/Coway-AP-1...8-1-spons&psc=1, but we don't have pets.

.Z.
Jan 12, 2008

Anyone have suggestions for a cushion/chair/lounger/something for reading/media consumption on your stomach?

I tried this leaning cushion contraption: https://www.japantrendshop.com/utsubusene-cushion-p-3296.html. But was not a fan of it, padding was pretty flimsy and it became uncomfortable after a while.

So now I'm considering one of those leaning massage chairs: https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B00E86A8IG/. But I'd welcome any suggestions for things I might have missed.

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

I'm accidentally a suicide bomber!

.Z. posted:

Anyone have suggestions for a cushion/chair/lounger/something for reading/media consumption on your stomach?

Queen Combat
Dec 29, 2017

Lipstick Apathy
Legit I want that pillow but not the pic. L shaped pillow seems useful.

thepopmonster
Feb 18, 2014

Inzombiac posted:

I have one. Battery life is eternal and it's super easy to use.

gently caress Amazon but drat.

Get a Kobo Clara HD from Walmart whenever they go on sale for $99 again. That's where most of my books live, except for the ones that aren't available as ebooks or are ridiculously expensive or are not available in the US (example: Reginald Hill. They just released most of the first 20 books in the Dalziel and Pascoe series in the US.... at $18/book.... which are something like 4 pounds or whatever they use on knifecrime island these days on Amazon UK... and then dropped the price on 4 of them to $2.99. Go home publishers you are drunk)

Same:
300dpi
8gb
microsd
non-expandable

Plus:
Better frontlight than paperwhite
Sideload whatever you want via Calibre (with thanks to David Forrestor & especially Apprentice Alf without whom I'd be stuck with a Kindle)
Works fine with Wifi turned off
Battery life is great

Minus:
Not water-resistant
No bluetooth/audible

Finite make good cases for them, check ebay or amazon

Quickie overview article: https://goodereader.com/blog/electronic-readers/kobo-clara-hd-vs-the-amazon-kindle-paperwhite-4

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

I don't know what this thing is, and I don't care. I'm just tired of seeing your stupid newbie av from 2011.
I need a new comforter/sheet set. I'm think either Target/Ikea/Walmart quality and price. Preferably from the first two. Anyone have any suggestions or anything I should watch out for?

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

A while back itt I got some recommendations for the Roomba i7. The price on Amazon dropped from $800 to $539 and I’m tempted to grab it but is there some reason it’s not a good idea like they won’t keep supporting the app or something? I see there’s a new fancy model that the top of the line now but it’s like $1300 so forget that.

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

Snowy posted:

A while back itt I got some recommendations for the Roomba i7. The price on Amazon dropped from $800 to $539 and I’m tempted to grab it but is there some reason it’s not a good idea like they won’t keep supporting the app or something? I see there’s a new fancy model that the top of the line now but it’s like $1300 so forget that.

The best roomba is the one you can afford.

tribbledirigible
Jul 27, 2004
I finally beat the internet. The end boss was hard.

Nephzinho posted:

The best roomba is the one you can afford.

And name. Our ancient 650 is named Blinkin.

Simone Poodoin
Jun 26, 2003

Che storia figata, ragazzo!

My old one broke and I got the cheapest one to replace it, it's still great. I just miss that the old one was programmable and I could use it as an alarm clock.

Slimy Hog
Apr 22, 2008

We got the $200 wirecutter recommendation and love it. it's made by Anker, but with the brand Eufy or something like that.

Queen Combat
Dec 29, 2017

Lipstick Apathy
Wait, Anker makes eufy stuff? I love Anker (for some reason).

m.hache
Dec 1, 2004

Fun Shoe
Not sure if this is the best place to ask but I'm looking for a device to stream my PC games to my TV over Ethernet. I'm looking to sit on my couch and play sekiro with a PS4 controller likely using steam play. I've tried in the past using a media PC and there was always little delays or disconnects that cause issues.

I'd like something that just goes straight into HDMI and works with a PS4 or Xbox one controller with no fuss.

I have ethernet to my tv

Adeline Weishaupt
Oct 16, 2013

by Lowtax
If you can find a Steam Link, that works pretty flawlessly. But the big introduction of lag with a Steam Link would be playing over WiFi, if you can hook it up over ethernet then you'll be gravy.

m.hache
Dec 1, 2004

Fun Shoe

umalt posted:

If you can find a Steam Link, that works pretty flawlessly. But the big introduction of lag with a Steam Link would be playing over WiFi, if you can hook it up over ethernet then you'll be gravy.

Didn't they discontinue those? Will they work with a PS4 controller?

I'll do some research on them.

Adeline Weishaupt
Oct 16, 2013

by Lowtax
It has bluetooth built in and I think out of the box support.

I forgot that they have also ported the software in one for Raspberry Pi, so you have one on hand you could use that instead.

Queen Combat
Dec 29, 2017

Lipstick Apathy

umalt posted:

I forgot that they have also ported the software in one for Raspberry Pi, so you have one on hand you could use that instead.

WHAT?! Yes!

E: https://steamcommunity.com/app/353380/discussions/0/1743353164093954254/

gently caress yeah.

m.hache
Dec 1, 2004

Fun Shoe

umalt posted:

It has bluetooth built in and I think out of the box support.

I saw that. I have 2 versions of the pi. I'll have to see if I had a 3 or 3B. Good find.

Glottis
May 29, 2002

No. It's necessary.
Yam Slacker
Where do you people buy your contact lenses online? The only one I've ever used is 1800contacts.com, but I feel like in 2019 I shouldn't be using a website that is a phone number.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

I got mine from walmart.com with a coupon last time. Before that lens.com.

e: could possibly have been walgreens.com, the memory is fuzzy

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.
Looking for a decent (i.e., not Wal-Mart quality) stand-alone pantry/cabinet thing for my kitchen. I have very little cabinet space, but enough room to put a cabinet between the fridge and a wall, if I move the fridge a bit.

And although I'm not against an IKEA product, I'd prefer not since I have to drive two hours into another country to get to the closest one.

Cornuto
Jun 26, 2012

For the pack!

DrBouvenstein posted:

Looking for a decent (i.e., not Wal-Mart quality) stand-alone pantry/cabinet thing for my kitchen. I have very little cabinet space, but enough room to put a cabinet between the fridge and a wall, if I move the fridge a bit.

And although I'm not against an IKEA product, I'd prefer not since I have to drive two hours into another country to get to the closest one.

Something like this or bigger?
https://huckberry.com/store/yamazaki/category/p/58001-tower-rolling-slim-storage-cart

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

Definitely bigger. Like...something wardrobe sized, like so:
https://www.target.com/p/baystone-storage-cabinet-white-room-joy/-/A-54221938

I mean...I could get that or something similar from Target/Wal-mart, just wondering if there's anything that's at least slightly better quality.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

I just got some of those Apple AirPods earbuds for some reason, and now I’m looking for a good strap for them so I don’t have to worry about them falling out of my ears and getting lost while I’m out running.

I’ve checked Amazon but pretty much everything I found there either had questionable reviews or looked to be some cheap flimsy Chinese crap, or both.

Can anybody recommend me a good AirPods strap?

I. M. Gei has a new favorite as of 07:04 on Oct 19, 2019

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

I tried a few of them from AliExpress and didn’t really like any but they did work. There’s a variety of styles there, and they’re like $1 each.

Trastion
Jul 24, 2003
The one and only.
I need a new Microwave. We have a larger microwave around 1100 watt or whatever they go by. I don't mind the larger one because we have the room where it sits and I can put bigger dishes into it.

What I want to know is what is available for a microwave that is more than a microwave? I want to still have the simple press 1 minute button or whatever style of microwaving but if I can get one that does more than that I might go that route.

If it can be $200 or less that would be great.

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010
We just got a microwave recently after ours broke and it seems like the main innovation since we got a microwave 10+ years ago is a smart sensor that auto detects when your food is heated. You just press on button and it will heat until it determines your food is done. Our auto sensor has been pretty good for bowls of food but it wasn't great at heating stuff in a cylindrical container. It also has an inverter which allows for more even heating of the food so there are fewer pocks of unheated stuff.

I think it was around 200 and is a Samsung but I think most big brands will have something similar in that price range.

Queen Combat
Dec 29, 2017

Lipstick Apathy
The auto sensors and the chaos theory defrosts are the things, yeah. I have a tiny 600w one with knobs that still goes "ding" when its done, but even it has the "random" defrost that ensures more even heating.

An "inverter" model is often quieter, too.

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

To microwave guy, ask here:

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3749739&perpage=40&pagenumber=111

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen
My sister is helping me shop for Christmas presents for her husband & in-laws. My brother-in-law is getting into fishing (mainly freshwater right now in Maryland) and she suggested I get him a good fillet knife and/or a fish scaler for his tackle box. What do y'all suggest?

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

No advice on the knife, but having an an extendable fishing pole is awesome. You can throw it in the trunk of your car and always have it on you. Good ones can be had for 20-30 bucks. Just an idea if the scaling knife idea fizzles.

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen
My brother-in-law already has an extendable fishing pole. My sister is the one that knows what he has, hence the request for recommendations.

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

Android Apocalypse posted:

My sister is helping me shop for Christmas presents for her husband & in-laws. My brother-in-law is getting into fishing (mainly freshwater right now in Maryland) and she suggested I get him a good fillet knife and/or a fish scaler for his tackle box. What do y'all suggest?

Maybe try this Fish thread. Or something else on that subforum.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3757986&pagenumber=63&perpage=40

Humerus
Jul 7, 2009

Rule of acquisition #111:
Treat people in your debt like family...exploit them.

What's the recommendation for a garage kept tire inflator/air compressor? All the reviews I find talk about portable ones that plug into the car's 12v outlet but I just want one to keep in my garage and use whenever the low pressure warning goes off in my/my wife's car.

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

Humerus posted:

What's the recommendation for a garage kept tire inflator/air compressor? All the reviews I find talk about portable ones that plug into the car's 12v outlet but I just want one to keep in my garage and use whenever the low pressure warning goes off in my/my wife's car.

If you have Dewalt or Milwaukee power tools I'd go with one of those. It's a lot less of a hassle not having to plug it in when you use it. I wouldn't be surprised to see them on sale for Black Friday.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Milwaukee-M12-12-Volt-Lithium-Ion-Cordless-Compact-Inflator-Tool-Only-2475-20/304768834
https://www.homedepot.com/p/DEWALT-20-Volt-MAX-Inflator-Tool-Only-DCC020IB/305709688

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

Humerus posted:

If you want a cheap option, you can fill a car tire with a bicycle pump - the kind you stand on and operate with both arms (you could probably do it with the compact variety too but it would take all day.)

Takes a few minutes to do a tire, but you're only out $20 instead of $100+ for an inflator, battery and charger (assuming you don't already have one of the above-suggested batteries.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.
A bike tire pump is what I use too. Just make sure it's compatible with the Schrader valve, and not exclusively with the Presta.

Although, I don't see a problem with having a portable, 12V compressor in your car(s) instead or in addition to the bike pump for emergencies. They work fairly well, and you may not want to be manually pumping up a tire on the side of the road if it's super hot/cold/raining out there.