Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

FiftySeven posted:

Show how these examples are representative of the majority attitude of English people?

at no point did I claim that it did, it's a very small number of people

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Whorelord
May 1, 2013

Jump into the well...

kru posted:

Doesn't change the fact that Scotland is left wing

so's a large portion of england, plus some of scotland is more backward than anywhere in the uk that isn't in northern ireland

Ralph Crammed In
May 11, 2007

Let's get clean and smart

Of all the food to shove up/into your non-mouth orifices, celery is probably one of the best due to it's low sugar content. Plus it's already ribbed for pleasure.

goethe.cx
Apr 23, 2014

Ralph Crammed In posted:

Of all the food to shove up/into your non-mouth orifices, celery is probably one of the best due to it's low sugar content. Plus it's already ribbed for pleasure.

Username/post combo

Tythas
Oct 3, 2013

Never felt at home in reality
Always hiding behind avatars

Hey I got an Idea how about we shut up and stop talking Politics in the /r/relationships thread

Tythas fucked around with this message at 19:51 on Sep 19, 2019

kru
Oct 5, 2003

Whorelord posted:

so's a large portion of england, plus some of scotland is more backward than anywhere in the uk that isn't in northern ireland

Care to drop any kind of information about this? daily mail articles dont count

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
Many people in finance have super specific racisms which are bad but also :psyduck: as hell

Tythas
Oct 3, 2013

AITA for throwing out my roommates non-vegan food?
|

quote:

When my girlfriend and I put out advertisements for a roommate we specified that we keep a strict vegan house - no exceptions. This meant no meat in the house, no dairy, no eggs, not even honey. We were very clear on this and outright said another vegan would be ideal. And that actually worked out pretty smoothly! A girl we'll call Jessica moved in and things went along swimmingly for the past three years. Jessica was also an ethical vegan and there was no fuss over food, no drama, everything was peaceful and we all were pleased with the arrangement.

Enter Jessica's new boyfriend, Charlie. Charlie absolutely does NOT agree with veganism. Ever since an incident where he drunkenly tried to store a bunch of half eaten sausages in our fridge and I told him he wasn't keeping that poo poo in our house, he's had a big problem with me. Whenever he comes over he'll make snide little comments about our little vegan decontamination zone, and loudly talk about how much he loves meat and all the the meat he recently ate. To sum up how childish he is, he went as far as to ask if he was allowed to take a non-vegan poo poo in our toilet in front of a bunch my guests my girlfriend and I were hosting which was completely embarrassing for everyone. He's a complete dickhead, but that isn't what the main issue is.

I figured Jessica wouldn't put up with Charlie for long given how he behaves, but not only has that not happened, he's talked her out of veganism entirely. When Jessica let me know that she was no longer vegan, I told her as long as she didn't store it in the house, it was fine. Seeing her bring meat takeout into our house to eat was upsetting, I won't lie, especially given Charlie would often be grinning like a rat during the entire ordeal. Not to mention the smell.

Emboldened by Charlie, she's started to store non-vegan food in our fridge. First it was butter and some liquid egg whites, which my girlfriend begged me not to start something over given how tense things had gotten, but earlier today I came home and found multiple packets of bacon taking up nearly an entire shelf of the fridge. I gathered them up in a trash bag alongside the butter and other stuff that had built up and just tossed it all in the bin outside. When Jessica returned and saw it was all gone a shouting match broke out and now she's claiming I can't force her to keep a vegan fridge, and our agreement meant nothing at all. I told her perhaps it was better she find another house to rent at, and she called me a controlling dick.

I don't think I'm being controlling GIVEN THIS AGREEMENT WAS CLEARLY SPECIFIED. It wasn't a hidden clause, it wasn't something I sprung on her. In my opinion Jessica and Charlie are both behaving like absolute fucknuggets, but when I vented to my brother he said that I was actually being a dick in this situation.

So I come to you, reddit. Whose the actual rear end in a top hat in this situation?

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

That'll come down to your lease and local tenancy laws and such. If the roommate was added to the rental agreement and there's nothing in that agreement stating non-vegan food would be thrown out then the vegan tenant might be poo poo out of luck trying to control what food can enter the home.

cumshitter
Sep 27, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Eating rear end is great exercise, but you can improve your gains by eating celery out of another man's rear end. Celery is a negative calorie food, so you can keep burning calories after you bring him to climax.

Tythas
Oct 3, 2013

AITA for hiding my personal life at work?

quote:

I'm in a little trouble at work because I've been sort of hiding my personal life. I've worked in this office for about nine years, working my way up. I'm notoriously private and also believe in a clear separation of work and home life. With that, I never, ever talk about home life. I'm not ashamed of my life I just don't like to discuss it at work. My coworkers enjoy talking about their personal lives and often include me. If I'm asked any questions I usually redirect or move on to someone else. In this manner, none of my coworkers knew I'm married, have twin daughters and a very active personal life.

We hired Melinda last year and she took it upon herself to become the office snoop. She spent several weeks getting as close to everyone as possible. However, she does this to seek out potentially useful information she can hold over peoples head. Try as she did, I never gave her anything. My coworkers view me as a sort of enigma. Compartmentalization aside, I've made some great friendships at work. There are more things to talk about than my husband and my kids. They are a big part of my life but I'm not even going to martyr myself and say they're the most important. They're hugely important and come before everything else but I'm not a sycophant and I enjoy the ten hours a day I'm at work when I get to be an adult and talk about things other than JoJo Siwa and the newest Jenndashian exploit.

Last week, Friday, Melinda came into work looking like the cat who got the goldfish. At lunch she announced to everyone that I am married with two daughters, a dog, and a nice house. I play softball, I kayak, and occasionally mountain climb and that I'm on Facebook. She couldn't see my posts however some of my photos are shared with others and therefore not private. I use a shortened version of my name (Ali from Alexandra) and my married name on FB so I'm not sure how she found me, unless she used WhitePages and put two and two together. I've already reported her to HR.

But the problem is, my coworkers are acting like this is a BFD. One of my friends said she's hurt that I don't trust any of them and hold them in "such low regard". I tried to explain that it's nothing against anyone, I just don't like discussing home at work and vice versa. I never bring work home. When I'm home that's time with my kids, or my dog, or my husband, or friends and hobbies. Heck, I chose to live an hour outside of the city in a small town just to avoid work when I'm not there. I've apologized if any feelings were hurt but my coworkers are now giving me the chill and won't talk to me unless it's directly about work. I honestly don't see the problem. I've never lied to them, I've never given them false info, I've never made up wild tales about my life. I'm still the same person I was, now they just know more about me than they did.

AITA?

ETA: I know this has been posted three times today. I didn't know Reddit was having trouble earlier with their servers and I thought it was the account I was posting from so I created a second throwaway and then a third because I never got confirmation the post was uploaded. I couldn't even get past the white screen with the little Reddit face spinning in the center. Those two posts actually have a little extra info in them. This one lacks the info because my patience wore thin.

Whorelord
May 1, 2013

Jump into the well...

kru posted:

Care to drop any kind of information about this? daily mail articles dont count

There's islands with no pubs on because everyone's too Christian

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

chitoryu12 posted:

Unfortunately, r/amitheasshole mods are cowards and they made sure to go and edit his rebuttal to remove anything that was too harsh on the poor ol' dad:

wow what the gently caress is this poo poo

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

Tythas posted:

Hey I got an Idea how about we shut up and stop talking Politics in the /r/relationships thread

We really should, we're better then this.

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER
For once the militant vegan isn't the rear end in a top hat.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

Whorelord posted:

There's islands with no pubs on because everyone's too Christian

They are constantly trying to get them to stop running the ferry on a Sunday. Some of our top sportsmen refuse to play on Sunday for the same reason.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Tythas posted:

AITA for throwing out my roommates non-vegan food?
|

Either the only vegans who post on reddit are the kind that make everyone hate vegans, or this is just a post to rile people up (it's a little too on the nose).

Tythas
Oct 3, 2013

AITA for asking my fiancé to reschedule his ‘surprise visit’ during my busiest week of the year?

quote:

We are in a long distance relationship (5hrs by plane), but will most likely move in together in January 2020. The last time we saw each other was mid-August, after spending two months together. We talk every night on the phone, and I’ve told him a couple of times that September is the busiest month of the year, as I’m organising two work trips and meetings, and I have a big project ending next week.

Three days ago we decide that mid-October we will plan a holiday together, and spend the week after that in my city. However, this week we were telling each other that we missed each other a lot. My fiancé just decided that that was enough to book a surprise ticket to come see me the day after tomorrow. However, I won’t have time to see him at all (maybe only after 9pm) as I will even have to work the weekends during this crazy month - on top of that I’ll be quite stressed and would prefer to just come back home and sleep.

I got quite angry at him for booking a surprise visit during the busiest month of the year, and asked him to reschedule the ticket to any later time in October, (the fee is 180 dollars, I suggested to pay half), so I’ll have time to hang out and do nice things with him and be there for him. He still wants to show up and said he’ll just do things by myself, but that would even make me feel guiltier when I’m still working and will come back stressed and tired. Reddit, AITA for asking him to reschedule?

AITA for telling my GF she's naïve about other guys intentions?

quote:

So my GF works late evenings/nights for her job. Once or twice a week she will usually head out for drinks with her work friends and sometimes one or two turns into a drinking session. I've no problem with this at all. A few months ago, she came home around 3am (pretty normal time) and she had a guy with her. It was a dude from work and he just kind of followed her home and she didn't know what to do. When they came in, he was pretty shocked to see me sitting on the couch playing Xbox. I didn't make a big deal out of it and he said he just wanted to use the bathroom, he was pretty drunk. Okay whatever. I know the guy and I'm not going to make a scene over it.

Then recently, she was out after work again and I was asleep when she got home. She mentioned the next day how Mike (not his name), different guy from work was here last night to eat his food and wait for a Taxi. This time I was like uh why? and she said it was pouring outside and there was no Taxis on the street (we live in town near the bars) so he asked if he could come back to hers and wait. Key note here, one of her girlfriends tagged along as well even though she wasn't invited.

Last night, it happened again but I was awake this time when she got back. This time she came home and Mike was tagging along again. When they walked in, he was immediately surprised to see I was there. They were both pretty drunk and my GF was her usual lovey self to me and was explaining how Mike couldn't find a taxi and asked if he could wait here again while he ate his food. I didn't want to make a scene but I was about to tell Mike he should probably get going but he had already started saying he just needed the bathroom and immediately left afterwards.

I told my GF that she needs to start telling guys they cant come back here because they are clearly angling to get in her pants. She got really upset with me and said I was crazy, they were just work friends etc. I told her if she really thinks guys are coming back to your place to wait for Taxis or use the bathroom at 3am you're being incredibly naïve. She called me an rear end in a top hat for thinking she cant tell when someone is coming on to her and these guys "know she has a boyfriend".

Am I being the rear end in a top hat here? Could I have handled it better?

goethe.cx
Apr 23, 2014

Motronic posted:

Either the only vegans who post on reddit are the kind that make everyone hate vegans, or this is just a post to rile people up (it's a little too on the nose).

I fail to see how the vegan is the rear end in a top hat here

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

AITA for revoking my donation that would help disadvantaged women, out of principle?

I'm in my 11th year of university. I'm about to finish with a PhD in computer science and chemistry. My university has a daycare on campus, and every student pays into it every year, even if you don't use it. Every year I'm charged $31, all the way back from 2009. This is a compulsory payment, automatically added to every student's account.

I never used the daycare, I didn't have kids. Until this past May when I had a daughter. Now my wife and I are looking at daycares and since I both study and work at the university, why not look into their daycare? I'm on campus in case of emergency, it's free, and it's all around convenient.

But I was refused even an application because, according to their policy which is completely news to my ears, the daycare is only available to single women and the application process is strenuous and strictly based on need. Think women with no one else to turn to for child care.

In a vacuum, this is a good thing. It helps disadvantaged women who really need it. But students are forced to pay into it. On their FAQ, they say you cannot opt out of that payment. All students donate into the funding pool even if they'll never use it or can't use it.

I do frontier work for the university, work that makes the university look good. We're not at the bleeding edge of my field but with so few people in my specialization, if I left for another school, it would impact the university immensely in terms of funding. I told my supervisor, faculty head, dean, and administrative dean that I refuse to continue my work unless I am refunded the nearly $350 that was taken from me for a service I'm not allowed to use.

This money is nothing to me, I am only doing it out of principle. It won't impact my career or PhD prospects because my direct supervisor agrees with me. I have the bargaining power because my work is worth more than $350 to the university. And after only two weeks of heat, it looks like they're going to relent and give me the money back.

I've received numerous e-mails from faculty and even students (which I suspect is a professor or two brigading) calling me an rear end in a top hat, misogynist, and downright awful person. And I want to refer to this sub for judgment. I do feel bad, maybe at the edge of reneging my demands because I think my voice has been heard already, but still unsure if I should proceed or just let it go.

So, /r/amitheasshole, AITA?

Tythas
Oct 3, 2013

goethe.cx posted:

Throwing away other peoples property that they have paid for, forcing someone to not be able to store their own food in the place that they live, Jessica would either have to eat out every night and not have leftovers, store any non vegan food somewhere else not in her place, or only eat vegan food. it is outrageous and she has lived there for three years Vegan OP is the rear end in a top hat just for the fact he threw away food she paid for, which counts as theft or destruction of property

Whorelord
May 1, 2013

Jump into the well...

Aramoro posted:

They are constantly trying to get them to stop running the ferry on a Sunday. Some of our top sportsmen refuse to play on Sunday for the same reason.

I'm trying to imagine living anywhere in the UK that has no pubs, especially a Scottish island it it sounds horrendous

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

Whorelord posted:

I'm trying to imagine living anywhere in the UK that has no pubs, especially a Scottish island it it sounds horrendous

Harris is one of the most beautiful places on earth and don't worry there are pubs and some even open on Sunday, just not many.

goethe.cx
Apr 23, 2014

Tythas posted:

Throwing away other peoples property that they have paid for, forcing someone to not be able to store their own food in the place that they live, Jessica would either have to eat out every night and not have leftovers, store any non vegan food somewhere else not in her place, or only eat vegan food. it is outrageous and she has lived there for three years Vegan OP is the rear end in a top hat just for the fact he threw away food she paid for, which counts as theft or destruction of property

settle down ayn rand. he threw out a few packets of bacon. they were clear that no meat or dairy was allowed when she moved in and she’s an rear end in a top hat for going back on that agreement even if she’s entitled to under the lease or the law. she should just find a new place, it’s not like it’s hard to find a non-vegan apartment

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

goethe.cx posted:

Unless there's an allergy issue or smell issue or something that isn't just in the other person's head it's pretty lovely to dictate what your fellow tenant can eat to the point of being the food police and throwing their property away.

If you want to live in a bubble of perfect purity, buy your own place. If you need roommates, you need to be able to handle not having full control over them. It's not always cut and dry or easy, there's a whole spectrum from reasonable demands to ridiculous inflexible control. Which is why having a roommate fuckin' sucks because you're constantly negotiating what the house-rules are and might have very different ideas on what's a reasonable request and what's ridiculous.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

goethe.cx posted:

settle down ayn rand. he threw out a few packets of bacon. they were clear that no meat or dairy was allowed when she moved in and she’s an rear end in a top hat for going back on that agreement even if she’s entitled to under the lease or the law. she should just find a new place, it’s not like it’s hard to find a non-vegan apartment

ignoring property they're certainly not vegan for the wellbeing of animals. they just caused another pig to be slaughtered to replace the bacon. a complete rear end in a top hat.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Smirking_Serpent posted:

AITA for revoking my donation that would help disadvantaged women, out of principle?

This person keeps using obligatory and donation in the same sentence. *Somebody* doesn't know what those words mean.

Patrick Spens
Jul 21, 2006

"Every quarterback says they've got guts, But how many have actually seen 'em?"
Pillbug

Tythas posted:

Or, and I'm just spitballing here, she could move out of the vegan apartment that she agreed would be a vegan apartment when she moved in.

Whorelord
May 1, 2013

Jump into the well...

Aramoro posted:

Harris is one of the most beautiful places on earth and don't worry there are pubs and some even open on Sunday, just not many.

What's one of the Small Isles called that's collectively owned by some sort of commune?

Might get weed and booze there

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

"yeah just move lol"

-brats

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

Patrick Spens posted:

Or, and I'm just spitballing here, she could move out of the vegan apartment that she agreed would be a vegan apartment when she moved in.

On one hand the agreement was clear from the beginning, the girl who went back on it should have at the very least talked through it with her roommates.

On the other hand, veganism isn't an allergy. The meat in the fridge isn't going to contaminate the other food. If there's not an issue of space the vegan's hangups are entirely psychological.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

I would definitely not be pissed if a roommate moved in on the explicit condition of not doing one specific thing, then decided that they would do that specific thing after all.

DemoneeHo
Nov 9, 2017

Come on hee-ho, just give us 300 more macca

quote:

I'm in my 11th year of university. I'm about to finish with a PhD in computer science and chemistry. My university has a daycare on campus, and every student pays into it every year, even if you don't use it. Every year I'm charged $31, all the way back from 2009. This is a compulsory payment, automatically added to every student's account.

I never used the daycare, I didn't have kids. Until this past May when I had a daughter. Now my wife and I are looking at daycares and since I both study and work at the university, why not look into their daycare? I'm on campus in case of emergency, it's free, and it's all around convenient.

But I was refused even an application because, according to their policy which is completely news to my ears, the daycare is only available to single women and the application process is strenuous and strictly based on need. Think women with no one else to turn to for child care.

In a vacuum, this is a good thing. It helps disadvantaged women who really need it. But students are forced to pay into it. On their FAQ, they say you cannot opt out of that payment. All students donate into the funding pool even if they'll never use it or can't use it.

I do frontier work for the university, work that makes the university look good. We're not at the bleeding edge of my field but with so few people in my specialization, if I left for another school, it would impact the university immensely in terms of funding. I told my supervisor, faculty head, dean, and administrative dean that I refuse to continue my work unless I am refunded the nearly $350 that was taken from me for a service I'm not allowed to use.

This money is nothing to me, I am only doing it out of principle. It won't impact my career or PhD prospects because my direct supervisor agrees with me. I have the bargaining power because my work is worth more than $350 to the university. And after only two weeks of heat, it looks like they're going to relent and give me the money back.

I've received numerous e-mails from faculty and even students (which I suspect is a professor or two brigading) calling me an rear end in a top hat, misogynist, and downright awful person. And I want to refer to this sub for judgment. I do feel bad, maybe at the edge of reneging my demands because I think my voice has been heard already, but still unsure if I should proceed or just let it go.

So, /r/amitheasshole, AITA?

Edit: beaten

DemoneeHo fucked around with this message at 20:42 on Sep 19, 2019

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Captain Hygiene posted:

I would definitely not be pissed if a roommate moved in on the explicit condition of not doing one specific thing, then decided that they would do that specific thing after all.

This has limits, and imo it should not extend to this kind of thing.

"Hey, you said when you moved in you wouldn't play loud music at night!" : reasonable complaint.

"He, you said when you moved in you wouldn't keep meat in the fridge!" not reasonable complaint.

The meat doesn't affect them. You have to be willing to allow certain things if you want to rent out space. If this were them allowing a person to live there for free then they could go "my house, my rules" as much as they want. But when people pay you money to stay, they are allowed reasonable liberties within that space. Now it may be that perhaps she's better living elsewhere, but that doesn't mean that in mean time you can just throw out her poo poo because she living in a way you don't approve of.

The vegan is the rear end in a top hat.

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

Captain Hygiene posted:

the thing is storing food in a fridge though, so gently caress em

not all things are the same, and storing poo poo in a fridge is not, in fact, important at all

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

oh hey look a place to live, nice

no meat in the fridge eh, yeah whatever sure nobody would honestly be so petty and stupid to throw my poo poo away

roommates only mistake was underestimating how self righteous and spoiled people can be

welcome
Jun 28, 2002

rail slut

hawowanlawow posted:

no meat in the fridge eh, yeah whatever sure nobody would honestly be so petty and stupid to throw my poo poo away

roommates only mistake was underestimating how self righteous and spoiled people can be

She knew when she moved in that they were vegans.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Roommates are an awful hell situation because it requires a bunch of adults who should otherwise be independent and having their own personal spaces agree to mutual rules between each other. If you are a very easy going person this can be easier than if you are incredibly uptight and have weird controlling demands for your space.

it's hard enough just figuring out stuff like "how often can we have our personal friends over using the common space" or "Do we agree to a quiet time at a certain hour even though we work different shifts?" or "How is cleaning and upkeep deligating" Making up imaginary problems like meat-ghosts haunting your kitchen is just asking for more drama.

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

Baronjutter posted:

Making up imaginary problems like meat-ghosts haunting your kitchen is just asking for more drama.

I mean yeah in this case it clearly is literally just asking for more drama

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

hawowanlawow posted:

It would be one thing too if she agreed and then just immediately disregarded it. But this person moved in three years ago.

Sorry but you can't make a verbal agreement "you must continue live your current lifestyle in perpetuity" lol. At least for poo poo with no direct bearing on the roommates.