Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lt. Danger
Dec 22, 2006

jolly good chaps we sure showed the hun

I agree; working-class people ARE stupid and hateful.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mesopotamia
Apr 12, 2010

CoolCab posted:

you are, again, speaking to someone who does that. same reason i'll probably never let go of that dude who thought loving latin club was a good play in UKMT - i am capable of expressing myself without it. when i am dissatisfied i have an entire informed lexicon to do so - but when i speak to those who lack that lexicon i grant leniency to how they express their entirely justified frustration. i educate, i don't police.

your good intention would disarm every propaganda, would immediately alienate anyone who lacks the class consciousness and sophistication to articulate their dissatisfaction. you have already attempted to do so, even if it wasn't your intention. the way you are applying it - like a purity test - is more harmful than that good intention. i'm sorry, i really tried to frame this in a less confrontational, but here we are.

Is that second paragraph for real. You're over thinking it - you went for a cheap shot, but happened to get called out for it. Everyone does it. Apologise and move the gently caress on. It's really not that deep.

DiscoWitch
Oct 16, 2009

uwu
To be fair it should be mock not unless ye be mocked. I'd be happy to take abuse over my looks if it meant I could mock the Frankenstein's monster wax works that make up most of our political class.

Pound_Coin
Feb 5, 2004
£

Azza Bamboo posted:

So this is the same people who made the famous "computer user Liz Kendall" campaign video?

Yes, It's a big ol'thread and smells highly of blairites

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem

fightwithcrayons posted:

Is that second paragraph for real. You're over thinking it - you went for a cheap shot, but happened to get called out for it. Everyone does it. Apologise and move the gently caress on. It's really not that deep.

sorry, which cheap shot?

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

CoolCab posted:

your good intention would disarm every propaganda, would immediately alienate anyone who lacks the class consciousness and sophistication to articulate their dissatisfaction. you have already attempted to do so, even if it wasn't your intention. the way you are applying it - like a purity test - is more harmful than that good intention. i'm sorry, i really tried to frame this in a less confrontational, but here we are.

Totally disagree with this. You don't need a master's degree to call Sajid Javid a oval office.

Marmaduke!
May 19, 2009

Why would it do that!?

Lt. Danger posted:

I agree; working-class people ARE stupid and hateful.

More importantly ugly!

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one

CoolCab posted:

you are, again, speaking to someone who does that. same reason i'll probably never let go of that dude who thought loving latin club was a good play in UKMT - i am capable of expressing myself without it. when i am dissatisfied i have an entire informed lexicon to do so - but when i speak to those who lack that lexicon i grant leniency to how they express their entirely justified frustration. i educate, i don't police.

Rarity et al: Hey this particular thing is problematic and here's why, maybe instead of that do this other thing instead!

You: Ugh why are you trying to police why can't you just educate?

And nobody is talking about taking some kind of stern measures here, Rarity is not sending people to the gulags that I am running for people who say something about Michael Gove's appearance. And and, I don't think there's THAT much propaganda out there which has been nothing except "Look at how ugly this rear end in a top hat is" and most of that which is in that vein is pure confederate or nazi stuff making everyone else looking subhuman.

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

At night, Bavovnyatko quietly comes to the occupiers’ bases, depots, airfields, oil refineries and other places full of flammable items and starts playing with fire there
Guess Coolcab never watched "Yes, Prime Minister", which I was lifting the Latin from.

kecske
Feb 28, 2011

it's round, like always

call a tory an unapologetic wealth extractor and robber baron will just elicit a shrug because those things are both true and desirable to them. this government has taken everything they can from the poorest of our society, and they would instantly go as far as prying the last dregs from their cold dead hands without batting an eye if they think they could get away with it. When you feel so powerless against the endless boot grinding down on you, you want your words to sting or hurt because why shouldn't they? what else do you have against them? any tool you can use to get a cathartic kick back at them, anything to make them feel a shred of self-doubt or dent their self importance should be seized upon and judiciously against them

imo

e: I should clarify this is following on from the 'horse in a oval office suit' stuff, not escalating to racially charged stuff or what have you

kecske fucked around with this message at 21:51 on Sep 19, 2019

Lt. Danger
Dec 22, 2006

but tories don't read this thread

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

kecske posted:

call a tory an unapologetic wealth extractor and robber baron will just elicit a shrug because those things are both true and desirable to them. this government has taken everything they can from the poorest of our society, and they would instantly go as far as prying the last dregs from their cold dead hands without batting an eye if they think they could get away with it. When you feel so powerless against the endless boot grinding down on you, you want your words to sting or hurt because why shouldn't they? what else do you have against them? any tool you can use to get a cathartic kick back at them, anything to make them feel a shred of self-doubt or dent their self importance should be seized upon and judiciously against them

imo

so racism or sexism or homophobia is fine if it's targeted at Tories?

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

OwlFancier posted:

That sounds like the same rationale behind "we have to be racist because poor people are racist and we can't be the authentic poor people party if we're not racist (and also I should be racist even if I'm not talking to stupid poors)"

which is to say, really patronizing? and also wrong.
The preferred idea in working class left groups is to allow anyone, but any racism gets called out and a conversation can be had about why it's wrong.

Which is going well itt.

But is better than the standard trot response of "make them the editor."

Rarity posted:

Totally disagree with this. You don't need a master's degree to call Sajid Javid a oval office.
I'd take out a loan to do that for four years.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Again, though, for the bazillionth time, the tories are not reading UKMT, they will never hear what you say about them here, only we will.

If you just want to say mean things at tories in effigy you could literally scream into your pillow.

Or better yet go out and build a wicker man and burn boris in effigy inside it, bonfire night's coming up and that'll give you way more catharsis.

Gorn Myson
Aug 8, 2007

Michael Gove is like the guy who thinks good sex is pumping away while you’re making a grocery list in your head wondering when he’ll be done.

Rory Stewart is like the guy who is all sweet and nerdy but holds you down and makes you cum until your calves cramp.

Nuclear Spoon
Aug 18, 2010

I want to cry out
but I don’t scream and I don’t shout
And I feel so proud
to be alive

OwlFancier posted:

Again, though, for the bazillionth time, the tories are not reading UKMT, they will never hear what you say about them here, only we will.

If you just want to say mean things at tories in effigy you could literally scream into your pillow.

it's been repeatedly stated it's not just about tories

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

Ursine Catastrophe posted:

My teeth are terrible for reasons and every time the topic of "lol they have terrible teeth" comes up in any context I've got a little niggling reminder of "remember, no matter the situation, no big smiles". I say this not as a "oh woe is me, never speak of teeth on my behalf" but as a confirmation of yeah there's actually people affected, and frequently they won't say anything about it because it's already been beat into them from all directions that "well, that's your fault for having something about you that's mockable, innit?"

Hmm fair enough I got something to think about then

As a fellow lovely tooth haver I know that "mouth closed while we smile, now" thing.
I do handle it differently when people make fun though, I guess I genuinely divorce the appearance poo poo entirely from the subject of fun. Theyr being mocked cause theyr terrible not because of their teeth or whatever

Ms Adequate posted:

Rarity et al: Hey this particular thing is problematic and here's why, maybe instead of that do this other thing instead!

You: Ugh why are you trying to police why can't you just educate?

And nobody is talking about taking some kind of stern measures here, Rarity is not sending people to the gulags that I am running for people who say something about Michael Gove's appearance. And and, I don't think there's THAT much propaganda out there which has been nothing except "Look at how ugly this rear end in a top hat is" and most of that which is in that vein is pure confederate or nazi stuff making everyone else looking subhuman.

Tbf in this particular instance it was more like Rarity jumping on some elephant guy without explanation for having laughed at a joke in this threads own podcast
Then sorta declaring "this thread decided X" at which point some posters like me went "welllllll"

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Gorn Myson posted:

Michael Gove is like the guy who thinks good sex is pumping away while you’re making a grocery list in your head wondering when he’ll be done.

Rory Stewart is like the guy who is all sweet and nerdy but holds you down and makes you cum until your calves cramp.
Michael Gove is like the guy who thinks good sex is pumping away at groceries.

Rory Stewart is like the guy who is all sweat and cums on your calves.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe
gently caress me this thread gets cranky during recess, if the Supreme Court doesn't order them back before then the October thread will probably have our first murder.

Lt. Danger
Dec 22, 2006

isn't this just basic in-group tribal signalling, where we throw insults at group enemies to gain approval (because extensive critique requires knowledge and effort and risks division)

I'm sure there are more productive ways to accomplish this

winegums
Dec 21, 2012

Should we update the podcast thread to remove all those pods which make fun of right wingers' appearances? If we're proposing to have Correct opinions maybe we shouldn't be promoting material that has problematic content like Chapo talking about various US politicians look (or even making fun of their names!) or Reel Politik making fun of how Mike Gapes MP talks.

DiscoWitch
Oct 16, 2009

uwu

Gorn Myson posted:

You made me read this with my eyes you monster

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Terry knows what he can do with his bloody chocolate orange...

Gorn Myson posted:

I hate this post and everything is stands for.

WhatEvil
Jun 6, 2004

Can't get no luck.

Is it OK to say that John Rentoul looks like a vampire, given that he also acts like a complete ghoul?

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one

goddamnedtwisto posted:

gently caress me this thread gets cranky during recess, if the Supreme Court doesn't order them back before then the October thread will probably have our first murder.

I already fuckin' killed Fluo

Gorn Myson posted:

This is haram

Lt. Danger
Dec 22, 2006

winegums posted:

Should we update the podcast thread to remove all those pods which make fun of right wingers' appearances? If we're proposing to have Correct opinions maybe we shouldn't be promoting material that has problematic content like Chapo talking about various US politicians look (or even making fun of their names!) or Reel Politik making fun of how Mike Gapes MP talks.

it's political correctness gone mad winegums!

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

winegums posted:

"we are not perfect therefore we should not attempt to improve" is an extremely weak argument when the right wing employs it and it is not improved when you try to.

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

Igotadigbick posted:

You made me read this with my eyes you monster

Listen, you're obviously not clear on the direction this thread is going, with what still having eyes.

Archaeology Hat
Aug 10, 2009

WhatEvil posted:

Is it OK to say that John Rentoul looks like a vampire, given that he also acts like a complete ghoul?

I feel like he’d look less like a vampire if he didn’t have that sneering scowl he’s wearing in his headshot.

Pound_Coin
Feb 5, 2004
£

Gorn Myson posted:

delete this

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Terry knows what he can do with his bloody chocolate orange...

Nobody is saying "never do this again or you're banished from leftism" - it's being pointed out that we can and should do better. I imagine Rarity was a bit upset because WhatEvil came praising a funny but lovely joke we made on the podcast (even though it wasn't meant as such!) the day after the discussion which he probably skipped. The thread doesn't "decide" anything, but I expect more from you fuckers.

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

A good compromise would be to bleep out the appearance jabs because bleeps are funny and it would be pretty funny to be like "bojo is a f*t u**y oval office"

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem

Ms Adequate posted:

The logical extension of that argument is that literally anything goes as long as you're directing it towards Tories. Why not racial, sexist, homophobic slurs?

because there is a culturally and contextually defined line, and i'm comfortable with that?

quote:

Furthermore it's absolutely NOT being used to deflect criticism from those who deserve to be criticized, unless your sole definition for "deserves to be criticized" is "has a physical appearance open to mockery" or your sole idea of criticism is "mocking physical appearance". Not a single person in this thread has said you can't attack the Tories with the utmost viciousness, just that doing so in particular ways is probably harmful to others so maybe we should avoid doing so.
and again - that's a valid conversation to have and i am not questioning anyone's right to have it. i am 100% questioning someone tone policing in order to enforce it. again - i didn't participate in any previous argument, despite the fact i'm being told to apologize for...something?

quote:

You can still call Rory Stewart a pro-landlord anti-welfare parasitic leech on society who deserves the guillotine, or say the Prime Minister is an extreme danger to the people of the country and has oceans of blood on his hands, or you can call them great sucking voids of charisma that couldn't organize a pissup in a brewery, or any of a billion other things, so I'm absolutely failing to see how what we're saying actually is deflecting criticism from those who deserve to be criticized in any way whatsoever.

i presume that's the royal you, again. and "great sucking void of charisma" - is that not a comment on appearance with a euphemistic proxy on top? doesn't "leech" qualify - this conversation was about "horse", of course.

Rarity posted:

now, here's a great example! so, i'm from north america, and the first time i heard the word "oval office" i was a child, and it was screamed at me from a passing car at a take back the night march. this is how the word is used, of course - it's unambiguously a slur, up there with the racial ones.

i don't say "rarity, the language you are using is literally synonymous with violence against women" - i'm willing to accept that there is a cultural and social context and draw the line appropriately. i understand that while i personally find the term highly offensive (you'll notice i very seldom use it) that it is not productive or helpful to police your language, within evident limits - i understand that you are not using it in that way. i give you the benefit of the doubt, and i don't say "hey, this is a north american website - there could be any number of people who are repulsed by your language". because it's not constructive.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I mean conversely I stopped using it because not everyone's comfortable with it even in the UK thread, because that's actually very easy to do.

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

Miftan posted:

The thread doesn't "decide" anything, but I expect more from you fuckers.

it's much easier for people to believe they're being contradicted because "lol UKMT hivemind" than it is for them to actually examine their own argument and see if they might possibly be in the wrong this time

Saith
Oct 10, 2010

Asahina...
Regular Penguins look just the same!
So much for the intolerant left.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Hentai Jihadist posted:

Then sorta declaring "this thread decided X" at which point some posters like me went "welllllll"

TBH this is the biggest problem in this whole... thing - this thread will never be of a single mind about anything* but "gently caress the Tories" and even then there'll be some fringe voices around the actual meaning of all three of those words. Anyone claiming otherwise is just reigniting the argument, not stopping it.

* I swear to God if one of you tedious cunts comes up with some "funny" other thing we all agree on I will loving cut you.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I am not at all in favour of those who want to engage in copulation, or promote the imagery of copulation, with tories.

DiscoWitch
Oct 16, 2009

uwu
The whiplash you can get when you have a divergence from this thread can be quite upsetting because most of the time it feels like a close community and is a relief to be around when you are surrounded by the opposite in daily life.

When the fangs come out it's like having a usually friendly dog suddenly snap at you! I feel like the sudden change is what gets people all defensive. Is there anything we can do about that?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Diet Crack
Jan 15, 2001

Guys, I don’t want to be that mediator person but:

This discussion is getting tiresome considering we just had like 10 pages of it 2 days ago.

Can we just come to a compromise and make a conscious effort to not use appearance vitriol which may upset others, whilst still feeling free to lambast Tories for how awful they are, without resorting to jibes at physical attributes? I know I said Swinson looks like she’s eternally constipated, but that was around her mannerisms and behaviours when she is speaking in public, which I don’t view as a personalised attack on her appearance based on her physical make up. It wasn’t an open invitation to comment on her teeth or physical attributes either.

I feel partly responsible for this shitshow because after my comment, the floodgates seemed to open - and that was not the intent of what I said. Sorry if it was the cause, as it certainly wasn’t what I was going for.

So if we could please put this to bed instead of this to and froing, I think we’d all be a little better off, even if the conversation does have a sensible discourse.