Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kuros
Sep 13, 2010

Oh look, the consequences of my prior actions are finally catching up to me.
RE: Vegan Roommates

It's an ESH situation because roomie reneged on the agreement of what foods would be allowed in the house, most likely spurred on by "hurr hurr plants r dum" BF. OP is also an rear end in a top hat due to her throwing out perfectly good food someone else paid for.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

the OP was perfectly clear that his roomate is not permitted to store her meat in the refrigerator, so she should simply find another place to leave it, like in an air vent or under his pillow

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Tythas posted:

AITA for hiding my personal life at work?

Like I get where she is coming from but I feel like she took it s little too far with the separation thing.

Like not telling people you are married and have kids? That’s a little weird.

I get not telling people every detail but “hiding” basic stuff seems a little off to me and definitely can see why her coworkers are like wtf.

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

Tythas posted:

My coworkers view me as a sort of enigma. ... They're hugely important and come before everything else but I'm not a sycophant and I enjoy the ten hours a day I'm at work when I get to be an adult and talk about things other than JoJo Siwa and the newest Jenndashian exploit.

a get a feeling the privacy is not why nobody likes the OP

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

MarcusSA posted:

Like I get where she is coming from but I feel like she took it s little too far with the separation thing.

Like not telling people you are married and have kids? That’s a little weird.

I get not telling people every detail but “hiding” basic stuff seems a little off to me and definitely can see why her coworkers are like wtf.

I was nearly this secretive at my old work. I just would never initiate conversations, never share, and deflect most personal questions as best I could. It was because I was the single atheist marxist soyboy working in an office that was otherwise owned and staffed by a pentacostal church.

DemoneeHo
Nov 9, 2017

Come on hee-ho, just give us 300 more macca

In Laws Being Crazy Over Adoption

quote:

Dear Prudence,
My husband and I are adopting rather than having biological kids. His whole family thinks the decision is up for debate, but his sister recently crossed a line. I don’t know if it’s because of her personal obsession with her infertility, but she told me adoption is a mistake and we “can’t possibly love” an adopted child. I assume she forgot I was adopted by my stepmom when I was 3. She is the only mother I have ever known since my other mother died when I was a baby. I told her I hope she never becomes a mother if her ability to love her children is that shallow. I thought she was going to slap me. My husband pulled his sister away and told the family the subject is closed.

We have been asked to apologize, but my sister-in-law refuses to do the same. My husband reminded his parents that I am adopted, and my mother-in-law said, “That’s beside the point.” My husband is ready to just not talk to his family anymore. They are difficult, but I am not comfortable asking him to do this. I really don’t know how to solve this. Can you help?
—Adoption Antagonists

quote:

I’m so sorry that both of you have been having to deal with this kind of harassment. But I suspect your husband isn’t only considering cutting his family off for your sake. This isn’t something you’ve asked him to do, but a boundary he may need to draw in order to feel ready to become a father himself. Yes, his sister’s cruelty was pointed at you, and your husband was right to defend you, but I don’t think you’re the cause of this rift. Anyone might be shaken to learn that their own family members are capable of naked cruelty and embarrassing selfishness and find themselves unable to stomach having friendly conversations about the weather or work once they’ve revealed their characters in such a fashion. If the rest of his family has called into question your ability to love the children you’ll adopt (as well as the adoptive mother who raised and loves you), then taking at least a temporary break to focus on going through the adoptive process without the additional stress of dealing with their antagonism strikes me as a perfectly reasonable decision.

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Tythas posted:

Last week, Friday, Melinda came into work looking like the cat who got the goldfish. At lunch she announced to everyone that I am married with two daughters, a dog, and a nice house. I play softball, I kayak, and occasionally mountain climb

Not talking about your personal life is one thing, having an office stalker who announces her findings on you is another.

I hope the stalker gets fired.

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

Motronic posted:

Either the only vegans who post on reddit are the kind that make everyone hate vegans, or this is just a post to rile people up (it's a little too on the nose).

The he took a non-vegan poo poo in our toilet bit makes it a blatant trollpost, but it's wonderful. I want to believe so bad.

FormaldehydeSon
Oct 1, 2011

quote:

To sum up how childish he is, he went as far as to ask if he was allowed to take a non-vegan poo poo in our toilet in front of a bunch my guests my girlfriend and I were hosting which was completely embarrassing for everyone.

the story is definitely fake and extremely stupid, but I can't help but find this bit hilarious.

pooch516
Mar 10, 2010

Kuros posted:

RE: Vegan Roommates

It's an ESH situation because roomie reneged on the agreement of what foods would be allowed in the house, most likely spurred on by "hurr hurr plants r dum" BF. OP is also an rear end in a top hat due to her throwing out perfectly good food someone else paid for.

Yeah, throwing it out is such a dick move and IMO is worse than just letting her eat it.

I worked with a guy who has vegetarian for years. I had lunch with him and they hosed up his order and brought him Mac and cheese with bacon in it. He ate it rather than sending it back and having it thrown out, in his mind it was worse to have a pig die and just be thrown in the garbage for no reason.

Wasting food kind of sucks. Wasting someone else's food SUPER sucks, and what vegan roommate did was straight up childish.

Boyfriend is still an rear end in a top hat and non-vegan roommate is kind of lovely for reneging, but if she's paying rent and she's not forcing them to interact with the food outside of having to see it when the open the fridge then I'm mostly on her side.

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

Smirking_Serpent posted:

AITA for revoking my donation that would help disadvantaged women, out of principle?

Oh my God of course the top comment is 'it's discriminatory, because what about the single fathers?!':supaburn:

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

I'm accidentally a suicide bomber!

LadyPictureShow posted:

Oh my God of course the top comment is 'it's discriminatory, because what about the single fathers?!':supaburn:

Obviously the guy is an rear end in a top hat and the commentor likely has ulterior motives, but it is a valid point

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

goethe.cx posted:

settle down ayn rand.

gently caress off lol

A Wizard of Goatse posted:

a get a feeling the privacy is not why nobody likes the OP

Don't recall anywhere in the post saying this. The opposite, in fact.

Sandwich Anarchist fucked around with this message at 22:02 on Sep 19, 2019

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

1redflag posted:

Obviously the guy is an rear end in a top hat and the commentor likely has ulterior motives, but it is a valid point

It devolved into a slap fight of its probably for 'single parents' and such. But then a hero apparently arrived to clear things up and out OP as a liar:

quote:

YTA. Okay, so I know who you are- I’m also affiliated with this university and I work closely with the early childhood education center (not on staff with them, but my work overlaps with some of their operations pieces, especially compliance).

This is an income-eligible program. We receive some funding from the federal government that allows us to open spots to the larger community. The student fee exists to add additional spots that the federal funding would not allow us to have. With the student fee slots, you must be a full-time student enrolled at the university to be eligible to even apply and then the slots have the same income restrictions as the federally funded spots. In no way, shape or form is the program only open to single parents. In fact, most of our community spots are two parent households. Eligibility for the student slots on the parent’s end is entirely determined by space availability, income limits and student status. Also, it’s not a daycare center, it’s an early childhood education center. Many of our nationally recognized programs around early childhood development use the center in various capacities, so it is extremely well resourced in terms of staffing and cutting-edge innovation in early childhood development. As a result, there is always a substantial waiting list for all slots, particularly for the student slots as we can accept children as young as six months old-something the federally funded side does not allow.

You came in and asked what paperwork you needed to fill out to have your child start in October. You were informed that there is currently a 3-5 months waiting list for the infant program and were offered paperwork to fill out to get on the waitlist. It is policy that you must meet program income and student status requirement to be placed on the waitlist and that information is verified prior to enrollment. You were very upset about the waitlist, which is clearly stated on the website (Direct Quote: Both of our programs often have waitlists. Please contact name redacted Center to find more about our waitlist or fill out this form for a staff member to contact you in 2-4 business days). When you got to the question about the income requirements, your household may well over the income limit and were not eligible for the center slots. You were offered a list of recommendations for other highly capable centers locally that offer discounts to anyone affiliated with the university. You became upset and began to question why you were over income limits even though you are a student. They explained to you that it’s the household income that is considered, not just the students. You said that it was a terrible policy and you only make $X per year. Staff explained to you that they must consider household income and that even your income put you over the income limit for both a two parent and single parent household. You then began to demand to know how much and what programs the parents of the children were in. The staff explained that some of the parents were from the community. You asked to speak to a manager. The tenured professor serves as the center’s director came out and spoke to you. You were clearly agitated; the same information was shared. You said that the policies were stupid and that your tuition shouldn’t pay for anyone’s child who wasn’t part of the university to attend. The director said that unless you are a student doing an internship or practicum for credit in in the center, no tuition dollars go towards the center. You then said, “so if I was a single mom with a deadbeat baby daddy not working and getting an education, living off food stamps and welfare I could get daycare but because I’m actually contributing to this world, I get nothing?” The director replied “if you were a fulltime student who was a single parent and was eligible for SNAP and TANF, then, yes, you would be within the income limits for the center. Your child would not qualify for the community side yet, because they are too young for that program. In either case, there would still be a waiting list. I’m going to have to ask you to leave. (The childcare center has audio and visual recording, this is an exact quote. I know because since you’ve sent the email, we’ve had to watch them to make sure you weren’t discriminated against because-compliance). And then the emails started…

Also, this student fee is specifically designated to keep students in school who may otherwise be forced to drop out due to extenuating circumstances. It’s not solely for the center. It also funds a student emergency fund, a student food pantry, and an emergency housing program.

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

LadyPictureShow posted:

Edit: Well if it is based on income, then this guy is a mega rear end in a top hat.

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012
in the room where you sleep

LadyPictureShow posted:

It devolved into a slap fight of its probably for 'single parents' and such. But then a hero apparently arrived to clear things up and out OP as a liar:

:perfect:

pooch516
Mar 10, 2010

LadyPictureShow posted:

Between this and the "you're a terrible father and racist" earlier, AITA commentors are really bringing it today.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

LadyPictureShow posted:

Holy poo poo :bisonyes:

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

LadyPictureShow posted:

This is my shocked face. "Conservative rear end in a top hat misrepresents situation to claim oppression" is like a free space on whatever bingo board that would be on.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008
"Bbbbbbbut I'm a STUDENT!"

*single income higher than anyone using the program*

Tythas
Oct 3, 2013

Never felt at home in reality
Always hiding behind avatars

AITA for Having Professional Hair and Makeup for a Wedding When the Bride Didn’t

quote:

Hi, y’all.

My brother (m40) and his wife (f35) got married on Sunday. I (f22) am pretty close with my brother but not his wife, so while I was a guest, I wasn’t in the bridal party.

They got married at a somewhat local mansion (which is actually pretty affordable for a wedding venue). The dress code on the invitation was “formal.” The three weddings I’ve been to with formal dress codes (and the eight I’ve been to semi-formal dress codes), the implication was always that it meant professional hair and makeup. That is how my whole family took the dress code, so we all coordinated appointments. A few of us actually went together and had a makeup artist from a few towns over come in, so my SIL could hire locally.

Well, we get there, and her family looks good, but it’s clearly not professionally done. Then her bridesmaids come out, and they aren’t professionally done. The she come out, and she’s not got professional hair and makeup either.

It was kind of awkward in pictures, but I didn’t really see a big deal.

Well, yesterday, I got a barrage of messages from the bridal party and her mother and the bride about us trying to “upstage her” and that sort of thing. Quite a few other relatives got them too. (FYI, my brother thought I pretty and didn’t see an issue except “when did you become a woman?”)

I’ve tried explaining that it was a miscommunication, but they’re having none of it. Was I really a bitch?

dudeness
Mar 5, 2010

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
Fallen Rib
If there's one upside to people being lying assholes on Reddit it's that when they get called out its reeeeeaaaal good.

(The downside continues to be the widespread of misinformation)

DemoneeHo
Nov 9, 2017

AITA for the throwing a birthday party for my daughter that accidentally excluded one of the girls she invitted?

quote:

Saturday was my daughter’s 9th birthday party. Although I don’t let her wear makeup to school yet she loves watching beauty videos on YouTube. I found a group that do skincare, manicures, hair and makeup for birthday parties and thought that would be a fun thing that my daughter could enjoy with her friends. They would get all done up, learn beauty skills, have dinner and then sleep over and even have beauty supplies to bring home. It was a little expensive but I thought it was worth it.

12 girls were at the party. They had fun doing the skin care portion but when it came to makeup I realized that the foundation ranges that the team provided weren’t enough. We live in an area that is predominantly white but one of my daughter’s close friend’s “Sara” is from an immigrant family from Nigeria and has very nice dark skin. They did have some range (one of my daughter’s other friends is Indian and they had her skin tone) but they just did not have Sara’s skin tone. The darkest skin tone they had was much lighter than her skin tone. I could tell this bothered Sara. Then when it came to hair obviously Sara’s hair is very different from the other girls and they basically couldn’t do anything with her hair so Sara was also excluded from that. Again I could tell Sara was upset and I was very apologetic but she seemed to make the best of it. Sara wasn’t allowed to sleep over so her mom picked up her up late that night. I made sure to give her extra nail polish and candy in her gift bag.

The very next day Sara’s mom calls and practically yells at me about how upset her daughter was and how it was ridiculous to throw a party that excluded black guests. She went as far as to act like I purposefully or maliciously excluded her daughter when it was just an oversight. I apologized again to her but she didn’t seem to want to accept it. I told her it seemed like she was over reacting a little bit and it was a birthday party to celebrate my daughter at the end of the day and Sara still had her makeup and nails done. This made her angrier and she said her daughter wasn’t permitted to come to our house again.

I vented about this to my husband but he kinda took Sara’s mom side saying I should have made sure that it was something everybody could do. My mom thinks Sara's mom overreacted though. I know I should have done more vetting but it was honestly just an oversight on my part. I don’t think I deserved to be yelled at or to have implied racism put on me.

AITA here?

DemoneeHo
Nov 9, 2017

LadyPictureShow posted:

So good

Natty Ninefingers
Feb 17, 2011
Regarding makeup lady, I’m just stuck wondering what background takes “formal” as requiring professional makeup. Makes me wonder what other situations this woman has previously gotten herself into.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

DemoneeHo posted:

AITA for the throwing a birthday party for my daughter that accidentally excluded one of the girls she invitted?

She didn't realize there was a problem until the event was already underway and tried to mitigate it. Unfortunate, but not malicious. NTA.

It would something else if she were still in the planning state and realized "hmm this even won't work for my daughter's black friend.... ah well gently caress it". But with this like, what was she supposed to do? She got caught by an unexpected problem.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008
Can we talk about how the make up company had zero experience or product to service black women? That seems bad.

Araenna
Dec 27, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Tythas posted:

AITA for Having Professional Hair and Makeup for a Wedding When the Bride Didn’t

Is it common for people not in the wedding party to get professional hair and makeup for a wedding? Is it because they're family and would be in the photos?

E:^That's actually really common. Professional models often bring their own makeup to photo shoots because the makeup artists don't have makeup for dark complexions. They also often don't know how to do their makeup correctly. Same with hair.

Araenna fucked around with this message at 22:42 on Sep 19, 2019

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

Araenna posted:

Is it common for people not in the wedding party to get professional hair and makeup for a wedding? Is it because they're family and would be in the photos?

"Formal" Is a step below black tie, and generally denotes professional hair and makeup and smart dressing. I don't think this woman or her family did anything wrong, other than thinking "formal" actually meant formal on a wedding invitation.

Clitch
Feb 26, 2002

I lived through
Donald Trump's presidency
and all I got was
this lousy virus

DemoneeHo posted:

1. Birthday parties are ridiculous now.
2. I'd blame the company more than the mother.

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

Sandwich Anarchist posted:

Can we talk about how the make up company had zero experience or product to service black women? That seems bad.

That's been something that a number of makeup companies that sell foundation have gotten flak for. YSL a year or so ago boasted '22 shades!' but.....

There's a lot of time a dearth of options for POC. It sucks. But you'd hope a professional makeup artist would have a wider range of colors than what you could just get off the shelf at a Sephora or a Walgreens.

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

AITA for giving my daughter more money than my son after a lottery win because of different circumstances?

I recently had a second division win on the lottery and after taxes pocketed about $300k - a nice and very handy sum of money, but not the kind of money that will let you set you and your kids up for life.

We have two kids who are twins in their late twenties and I'll give them the fake names of Lucas and Carolina. Lucas has a wife and two kids under 5 (being a little vague for privacy). Carolina is single and happy with that for now & doesn't want kids.

My husband and I have decided that in addition to taking a holiday, getting a new car, and putting most of it into savings, we would gift each of our kids $25k each. We also decided we would pay off Carolina's student loans (about $35k, which is not bad for a BA and a MA. She had a scholarship for her masters and only borrowed what she needed for a compulsory internship in an expensive city & the BA amount is pretty standard for where we are) and will pay for Carolina's ICL surgery for her vision (LASIK is not suitable) as she needs very strong glasses (-12) and it is not covered by any insurance or our country's health care system. The surgery is about $12k. Carolina has been saving for it herself, I told her to use the money and treat herself to a holiday.

Lucas says that I am being unfair and favouring Carolina & and that he should get the extra $47k Carolina is essentially getting, especially because "I have kids and she doesn't and she has a better job anyway".

I don't think I am being unfair.

If Lucas went to University, I'd have settled his debt too or paid the same amount off each of their balances, depending on the amounts. But Lucas chose to drop out of school in 10th grade. Her better job is the result of her putting in more years of education.

I'd also pay for Lucas to have eye surgery if he needed it. But he doesn't. Carolina has missed out on things because of her vision and that he has benefited in the years - she is not allowed to have a licence because of it and a few years ago when my husband and I bought a new car, we gave Lucas our old one which we could have traded in for about $6k & paid for driving lessons. Carolina didn't complain about it or demand money of her own.

I also think giving him $47k to "play" with is different to covering an educational debt and a health expense. It also punishes Carolina - she gets a necessary surgery and educational expenses while her brother gets extra free "fun" money. He asks "what about my kids". I actually am putting aside some money for their educations (I plan to give both $10k + whatever interest it gets towards educational costs if they go to Uni) but have not told him this, but ultimately, while I love my grandkids, they are his responsibility to provide for.

Lucas continues to insist I am favouring Carolina and making comments that she is the preferred golden child. I personally think $25k is generous and it is not unreasonable to cover a specific educational and health expenses I would have also covered if he has the need.

AITA?

Araenna
Dec 27, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

"Formal" Is a step below black tie, and generally denotes professional hair and makeup and smart dressing. I don't think this woman or her family did anything wrong, other than thinking "formal" actually meant formal on a wedding invitation.

That's so weird to me. I've never known anyone outside the bridal party to have professional makeup and hair done for a wedding, formal or otherwise. And never seen that paired with "dressing smartly". Maybe it's somewhat regional? I can't imagine spending that money just as a wedding guest, and most people I know wouldn't either. Maybe most weddings I've been to that I thought were formal actually weren't.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008
^^^^^^^
That's the thing, most people don't know what the gently caress any of the dress code terms mean. They likely think "formal" is a nice dress from the department store and you spend 45 minutes on your make up, which is perfectly fine and totally acceptable for a wedding. But formal is actually black tie optional, tuxedos, professional hair etc. It isn't regional, it's just based on class and upbringing; the OP likely has come from a more priviledged background and so has a little bit more knowledge on what dress codes actually mean. Her big mistake was assuming everyone else does too.

Smirking_Serpent posted:

AITA for giving my daughter more money than my son after a lottery win because of different circumstances?

A bit of money enters the picture and Lucas goes nuts and starts trying to tear the family apart lol.

Sandwich Anarchist fucked around with this message at 23:01 on Sep 19, 2019

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

I'm accidentally a suicide bomber!

Lotto winner should probably match whatever extra she gives the daughter as “college funds” for the ungrateful son’s kids just to keep the peace, but it is a gift so no real obligations

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

Way common. Until Fenty came out and Rihanna changed the game there wasn’t a lot out there for darker complexions. Much less any makeup that paid attention to undertones.

Now that Fenty showed everyone there is a demand for this I give a side eye to other brands like Kylie or whoever trying to jump on the wagon. And they still don’t do it as well.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Don't forget Hitler's contributions to medicine.

1redflag posted:

Lotto winner should probably match whatever extra she gives the daughter as “college funds” for the ungrateful son’s kids just to keep the peace, but it is a gift so no real obligations

It's never too late to go back to school, I had a former colleague that started and finished her degree after she turned 50. Make it clear that he will spend the same money if he decides to obtain a degree on the degree but not on a Mercedes.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

Three Olives posted:

It's never too late to go back to school, I had a former colleague that started and finished her degree after she turned 50. Make it clear that he will spend the same money if he decides to obtain a degree on the degree but not on a Mercedes.

This is the right move. They each get 25k of "walkin around money", but they only match the rest if it's used for the right stuff.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Natty Ninefingers posted:

Regarding makeup lady, I’m just stuck wondering what background takes “formal” as requiring professional makeup. Makes me wonder what other situations this woman has previously gotten herself into.

Formal certainly doesn't EXCLUDE that. If you want to play rich people at your wedding don't be surprised if people also play (or are) rich people.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

Who would even notice the differences in peoples' make-up in a group picture unless they were nitpicking with a magnifying glass?