Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Peaceful Anarchy
Sep 18, 2005
sXe
I am the math man.

Skwirl posted:

Arkham Knight is also the free game on PS+ this month, so I think Warner or the publisher just doesn't care about royalties for it at the moment.
Warner is the publisher, but yeah they're probably gearing up for some Batman related thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anora
Feb 16, 2014

I fuckin suck!🪠
Joker just released, so maybe that's it?

Admiral_Cola
Jan 11, 2012
They are probably hoping people buy the DLC off the back of the main game being freely available. That and the Joke cross-promotion.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

Giving people a few months' worth of free games to promote your new release doesn't seem like a winning move!

Fart.Bleed.Repeat.
Sep 29, 2001

Haven't played any of these(either the Arkham or Lego series), is one any better than another for a starting point? I know some series have a clunker or are rehashed from one game to the next so it might make sense to start in the middle or most recent

VV Awesome, thanks!

Fart.Bleed.Repeat. fucked around with this message at 22:30 on Sep 19, 2019

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

Fart.Bleed.Repeat. posted:

Haven't played any of these(either the Arkham or Lego series), is one any better than another for a starting point? I know some series have a clunker or are rehashed from one game to the next so it might make sense to start in the middle or most recent

Play Arkham Asylum, then City, then the third one whose name escapes me. You start the latter games with basically everything you ended the previous games with iirc and the gameplay gets refined as you go, so starting with the first is the best idea. The story has a throughline, too.

I should replay Asylum...

Mr. Baps
Apr 16, 2008

Yo ho?

VV Awesome, thanks!

Echoing what flatluigi said. Arkham Asylum was excellent for its time and I don't doubt that it still holds up. From there, play the sequels until you run out of them or get bored. :v:

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.
If this includes Origins or Blackgate, be aware that:

Arkham Origins was handled by a third party devteam who a) didn't know the tools well and b) had horrible mandated reworking of their entire game and c) were apparently pretty incompetent, so the game is much rougher with severe design oversights. Check the beforeiplay page for that one.

Arkham Blackgate is a barely functional PC port of a PSP game that was garbage even by the standards of the PSP.

The other Arkham games aren't flawless, but they're very well-made and influential design-wise, especially the first two.

Soul Reaver
Mar 8, 2009

in retrospect the old redtext was a little over the top, I think I was in a bad mood that day. it appears you've learned your lesson about slagging our gods and masters at beamdog but I'm still going to leave this av up because i think its funny

god bless

VV Awesome, thanks!

I've played both Asylum and City, and I think you should 100% start with Asylum.
I found it a tighter, better-designed experience, and story-wise it's also the start point. So why not start there?

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
if you havent played any of em before i would think asylum would still be pretty fun. its been a couple years since ive replayed it, but its a real solid game

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
I only played the first two, but Asylum was a lot more fun I think. Or maybe I just got burned out by the time I played the second one.

TGLT
Aug 14, 2009

Discendo Vox posted:

If this includes Origins or Blackgate, be aware that:

Arkham Origins was handled by a third party devteam who a) didn't know the tools well and b) had horrible mandated reworking of their entire game and c) were apparently pretty incompetent, so the game is much rougher with severe design oversights. Check the beforeiplay page for that one.

Arkham Blackgate is a barely functional PC port of a PSP game that was garbage even by the standards of the PSP.

The other Arkham games aren't flawless, but they're very well-made and influential design-wise, especially the first two.

Origins and Blackgate aren't in that collection. Which is probably for the best with Origins, since it's pretty much just Arkham City but with mostly D-listers. It does have the most sympathetic version of Arkham Riddler though it still treats him as exactly evil.

I haven't/may never finish it, so I'm sure there's some evil twist I haven't seen but Origins Riddler just wants to expose GCPD corruption and Batman hates it.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

Cojawfee posted:

I only played the first two, but Asylum was a lot more fun I think. Or maybe I just got burned out by the time I played the second one.

ngl i never got very far into city because i played it immediately after asylum, and its like okay heres asylum only way bigger and also heres 5x as many riddler collectables and i just got overloaded. quit to take a break and never went back to it

Spalec
Apr 16, 2010
Does Arkham Knight actually work on PC yet? It was so bad at launch it was pulled from sale for months.

Soul Reaver
Mar 8, 2009

in retrospect the old redtext was a little over the top, I think I was in a bad mood that day. it appears you've learned your lesson about slagging our gods and masters at beamdog but I'm still going to leave this av up because i think its funny

god bless

Spalec posted:

Does Arkham Knight actually work on PC yet? It was so bad at launch it was pulled from sale for months.

Can't vouch for it myself but as some cool guy posted earlier in this very thread:

Coolguye posted:

For those of you that remember Arkham Knight's lovely launch, a lot of problems have been fixed with it and ultimately the problem even at launch was solved with having a metric assload of RAM, which a lot more people have these days than they did back in the day.

EGS still blows ballsack in my eyes but if you're hopping in then AK SHOULD(tm) work better for you today than it did in yesteryear.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

repiv posted:

Epic is giving away Batman Arkham Asylum and Arkham City and Arkham Knight and Lego Batman 1+2+3 :pcgaming:

https://www.epicgames.com/store/en-US/collection/batman-free-week

Windows only :woz:

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

keyboard ⌨️​ :clint: cowboy

~Coxy posted:

Windows only :woz:

Does the Epic Games Store even support Mac? At all?

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

We're fucking built for this shit!
The Epic Launcher is available on Mac.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD
Yes, a bunch of free games have also had the Mac versions, although I totally understand that it's easier when it's some indie dev than when it's some huge publisher that sold the porting rights to a separate company.

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

This is cool, but I already have the first 2 Arkham games on Steam, and I already have Steam and Origin. I really don't want to download a 3rd game platform distribution thingy... :smith:

Disappointing Pie
Feb 7, 2006
Words cannot describe what a disaster the pie was.
I have friends that refuse to even download the Epic launcher and like whatever it’s free games eventually someone will just release an all in one program so you’ll never have to view a launcher again.

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

Disappointing Pie posted:

I have friends that refuse to even download the Epic launcher and like whatever it’s free games eventually someone will just release an all in one program so you’ll never have to view a launcher again.

*someone will just release a launcher that launches launchers

SardonicTyrant
Feb 26, 2016

BTICH IM A NEWT
熱くなれ夢みた明日を
必ずいつかつかまえる
走り出せ振り向くことなく
&

This thread reminded me that I should give Chex Quest another try some time. I used to own the original disk.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.

Away all Goats posted:

That's already Steam. I just add GOG or Epic or Twitch games to it but Battle.Net just refuses to not open when I try to play something from there so its launch game > open launcher > actually play game.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
Each Arkham game after Asylum ends up having a bunch of positives and a bunch of negatives as they kept tweaking the formula (this includes Origins, fight me). The end result for me personally is that I think City is actually the weakest of the bunch.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Disappointing Pie posted:

I have one that hates it because "having exclusives fragments players" apparently he forgets that Steam has had many exclusive games and that it's all on PC

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

Away all Goats posted:

The new gog galaxy launcher has 'able to automatically bring in and launch from all distributors' as one of its central features

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

I don't know what this thing is, and I don't care. I'm just tired of seeing your stupid newbie av from 2011.

Samuringa posted:

That's already Steam. I just add GOG or Epic or Twitch games to it but Battle.Net just refuses to not open when I try to play something from there so its launch game > open launcher > actually play game.

Playing the CoD beta has shown me this annoyance as well. I have CoD as a start menu shortcut. I click it, it opens up Battle.Net. I wait for a few seconds and finally realize it doesn't launch the game, I have to do that again, but through the launcher

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

flatluigi posted:

The new gog galaxy launcher has 'able to automatically bring in and launch from all distributors' as one of its central features

I think they're also trying to implement "kill the launcher when you're done playing" as well, for the sake of one's precious RAM. I don't see how they'll be able to do that, and I may very well have invented that idea somehow on my own, but I wish them luck (if they're doing it).

doctorfrog fucked around with this message at 03:51 on Sep 20, 2019

DryGoods
Apr 26, 2014

Dogs, on the other hand, can connect with that pathos.
I played Arkham Knight after all the pc patches on my terribly outdated system and it ran very well.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Did i hear yall say you wanted more launchers???

https://twitter.com/RockstarGames/status/1174030965078929411?s=19

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

this is an update to their current system and anything would be an improvement over that

signed, someone who spent a year+ in various attempts to try to install the copy of gtav they got from their videocard

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
Yeah, Rockstar have had their own launcher for years, but it's mostly used for retail copies so you probably only saw it briefly blink by when starting up your Steam copy of Max Payne 3 or GTA5.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund
Some hot takes on Origins in here. It's not that bad a game overall and honestly I enjoyed its story far more than Knight. It channels several classic Batman storylines and coalesces it into a good early take. Doesn't break much new ground other than the tether gun, gameplay wise, but overall it's well done and the villains who are there are utilized well, for the most part. Better final boss than Asylum, too.

aba
Oct 2, 2013
I think that Origins has the best take on the Batman as the world's greatest detective. In all the others he's just another protagonist punching his way through.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Arkham Origins was one of the most broken games I'd ever played at launch and that's saying a lot

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
The Android port of Downwell is free until "September 27th, 23:59PM GMT" to make up for a bug that required them to re-release the game as a seperate app. Downwell is fantastic, so if you have an Android phone this is basically non-optional.

Stick Insect
Oct 24, 2010

My enemies are many.

My equals are none.

All online versions of this game are missing some music (~15 songs) that was included with the initial DVD release.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Stick Insect posted:

All online versions of this game are missing some music (~15 songs) that was included with the initial DVD release.

Can't you make your own custom radio station on the PC? I know you could in Vice City.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stick Insect
Oct 24, 2010

My enemies are many.

My equals are none.
Yeah you can.