Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

D. Ebdrup posted:

Could be shortened to Boris Bad, or just BB.

BB!

Snipe: it typically takes 2 to 69

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DiscoWitch
Oct 16, 2009

uwu

happyhippy posted:

Ok, now for the BIG talk discussion here.
None of this namby pamby crap, this will show who the REAL adults are.

Ready?

Scampi Fries, or Bacon Fries?

Bacon, obv

E: editing this rather than posting again but they must put some sort of crack in bacon fries, once I have a packet I just cant stop! There is something in them that you dont get in the inferior frazzles, although I do love those too

DiscoWitch fucked around with this message at 22:50 on Sep 19, 2019

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Tesseraction posted:

questron time starting in southampton

has queen of our hearts ash sarkar

Unless the entire panel is Ash Sarkar & the entire audience is Ash Sarkar I'm not sure I could genuinely handle ever watching QT again.

DiscoWitch
Oct 16, 2009

uwu
I stopped watching broadcast tv months ago

WhatEvil
Jun 6, 2004

Can't get no luck.

happyhippy posted:

Ready?

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost

happyhippy posted:

Ready?

1. Poutine
2. Cheesy Bacon Fries/Disco Fries
3. Chili Cheese Fries
4. Asada Fries

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Hentai Jihadist posted:

BB!

Snipe: it typically takes 2 to 69
I realize now that I didn't make my joke obvious enough. It was supposed to be that anyone sniping the next page could've gone "hi bb".
orz

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

Igotadigbick posted:

The left is a much broader church than the right and we have all sorts we disagree on but we all are pointing towards something with our hearts in the right place. Without the right being there as an obvious big bastard we would all cannibalize each other over crisp preference

the left's church is all pews, the right's filled up with hundreds of altars.

i don't care for the "broad church" analogy really, it makes no sense to me. what's the significance of the breadth? is it so you can have more gods there, or more simultaneous preachers? does the priest measure the width of the church before diving into the sermon, so they can cut out the homophobic stuff if there's too much breadth, or does it mean you've got space for people with any amount of homophobic tendency

at which point does increasing width turn a church from a 'broad church' and into a 'long church'

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Tijuana Bibliophile posted:

i don't care for the "broad church" analogy really, it makes no sense to me. what's the significance of the breadth? is it so you can have more gods there, or more simultaneous preachers? does the priest measure the width of the church before diving into the sermon, so they can cut out the homophobic stuff if there's too much breadth, or does it mean you've got space for people with any amount of homophobic tendency

at which point does increasing width turn a church from a 'broad church' and into a 'long church'

The broad church has always been used by party members on the political outskirts of their party to attack the current leadership. It's completely meaningless as a valid political concept.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
The Secular Hall in Leicester is built exactly like a church, because it dates from the era when everyone was supposed to be in church of a Sunday.

The only difference is that it has two pulpits.

(and now we can argue about the liberal futility of debate)

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

You would always orient a church based on the positions of the ritual elements of it, so no matter how long you make the pews, unless you move the altar the church is definitely still oriented that way.

DiscoWitch
Oct 16, 2009

uwu
I just meant that we have a lot of different views? Broad church as in we have all types of people. The right usually dont because they are very against difference?

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

The right actually does have a lot of different people in it, they're just all shits so they vote more coherently.

I mean the biggest right wing coup of the previous half century was the successful wedding of the maximum usury crowd with the puritanical church crowd, and in theory those things should be diametrically opposed, but they were successfully synthesised into a powerful political force in the US.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

lmao the Lib Dem (Ed Davey) has been the most grilled so far

eat poo poo fuckers

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Igotadigbick posted:

I stopped watching broadcast tv months ago

I haven't watched British TV in years and have been stuck doin nowt for a couple days away from home, accidentally put the tv on for like 5 minutes before having to flee

All the shows and ads are like bad jokes from a lame dystopia

DiscoWitch
Oct 16, 2009

uwu
I suppose I was getting at it's easier for the right because they hate obvious otherness like ethnicity religion and class etc where as the left tries to unite over something a bit harder to define because what is just and fair is much more subjective

I mean I'm doing a bad job of explaining what I mean I guess, it's just that we embrace a much wider spectrum of ideas and we have a lot of differences by the very nature of what we are. Sure the right has differences but it sure is easier to blame some nebulous other and unite around hate

DiscoWitch fucked around with this message at 23:12 on Sep 19, 2019

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

I guess a priest can only feasibly address up to a certain width of pews, but if they've got a good voice they can reach a lot of people in the direction they're talking to. A broad church is gonna have people on one side or another who just aren't reached by the guy on the pulpit, but who still go there for whatever other reason of their own.

Archaeology Hat
Aug 10, 2009

Hentai Jihadist posted:

I haven't watched British TV in years and have been stuck doin nowt for a couple days away from home, accidentally put the tv on for like 5 minutes before having to flee

When I last went back to my parents for a few days and they had the TV on in the evening it felt like British broadcast TV had turned into a creepy parody of my childhood memories of it.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
i skipped 240 posts what happpened?

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting

Jose posted:

i skipped 240 posts what happpened?

Your ugly.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

this is more of a UKCT post 99

Diet Crack
Jan 15, 2001

You know, I just realised that homeless people get double hosed by the advent of contactless payments. I wanted to give a fella some change, but realised I haven't had any change in my wallet for at least 6 months. :(

On the flipside, I do make an effort to buy apples, discounted items and whatnot at around 8pm when I'm at work and give it to the dudes/ladies outside the shop I'm entering. It's not a lot, but it's something - damned if the government's going to do anything. It's nice to see that the food delivery/welfare vans are still doing the rounds though.

Diet Crack fucked around with this message at 23:15 on Sep 19, 2019

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

Jose posted:

this is more of a UKCT post 99

Sorry.

Half of everyone agreed we shouldn't say things like that. I don't actually think much else happened at all.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Hentai Jihadist posted:

That's literally what I've felt* for years about the adverts. It's like they're marketing something to some alien nuclear family of newspaper boardroom target markets or some poo poo. Wish dot com marketing meth pipes for cats and electronics to put in my urethra is more relatable than UK TV ads at this point.

*Also felt sounds wrong, it should be feeled. Felt is what fuzzy felts are made of. Spelt is a type of wheat.

Zalakwe
Jun 4, 2007
Likes Cake, Hates Hamsters

i don't care for the "broad church" analogy really, it makes no sense to me. what's the significance of the breadth? is it so you can have more gods there, or more simultaneous preachers? does the priest measure the width of the church before diving into the sermon, so they can cut out the homophobic stuff if there's too much breadth, or does it mean you've got space for people with any amount of homophobic tendency.

Rarity posted:

The broad church has always been used by party members on the political outskirts of their party to attack the current leadership. It's completely meaningless as a valid political concept.

I think it works really well as an analogy when your trying to build mass movement.

The reality is that people come from all sorts of different backgrounds and educational levels etc. You are simply not going to find enough consensus around certain contraversial issues. You can aspire to it, by challenging those comfortable in their core values to keep thinking (like this thread does), but to start exuding people because of stuff that isn't core is not productive

In the actual church you would say there are a few things everyone must believe to have a faith, often the Nicene creed (at least on paper) in Protestant denominations. Everything else are 'disputable
matters', a line of Paul's (from Corinthians I
think) when he was encouraging the young church to focus on what's important and stop bickering.

So for leftists we can hopefully all agree that Nazis are bad, but you may not necessarily agree what to do about that.

The real difficulties come when you disagree about what you must believe.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Igotadigbick posted:

I suppose I was getting at it's easier for the right because they hate obvious otherness like ethnicity religion and class etc where as the left tries to unite over something a bit harder to define because what is just and fair is much more subjective

The way I look at it is that the right is fundamentally reactionary, it's conservative to some degree or other, either it wants to keep things as they are, it wants to regress to the past, or it wants to go back to a place that never actually existed but which its adherents believe did exist and which their desire to "return" to is motivated by a rejection of a perceived progression in recent times.

The left, on the other hand, more represents people wanting to move to a place that we know has never existed, we might take cues from the past to form immediate policies but this I think illustrates the fundamental split between socdems/left libs and other elements of the left, socdems/left libs are also conservative, they just think that their policies are the way to preserve the status quo. But the real energy of the left comes from people who want to absolutely get rid of elements of our current society and replace them with brand new ones.

And that difference I think is why the left tends to split, because ultimately all elements of the right are aligned on the subject of "change bad, present better than the left, past better than the present" and even if they don't get what they ideally want, they get something like it whoever they vote for (or they're sold something like it, at least, they don't actually get it because the policies of the right electorally are invariably just more capitalism)

But the left is full of people who have actual goals that are quite possibly distinct from other parts of the left, and some of our goals are directly in contradiction with each other, so it's quite hard for us to cooperate when we have radically different ideas of what we should actually be doing, and our critiques run down to the very structure of every action we take.

Compare that with the right's many flavours of "make house prices go up and make immigrants/gays/women/foreigners/jews hurt" and you're dealing with fundamentally a different kind of motivation and, i think, a different level of political thought.

Ratjaculation
Aug 3, 2007

:parrot::parrot::parrot:

Guavanaut posted:

That's literally what I've felt* for years about the adverts. It's like they're marketing something to some alien nuclear family of newspaper boardroom target markets or some poo poo. Wish dot com marketing meth pipes for cats and electronics to put in my urethra is more relatable than UK TV ads at this point.

*Also felt sounds wrong, it should be feeled. Felt is what fuzzy felts are made of. Spelt is a type of wheat.

Watch State of Play, then any recent BBC Drama. Then shrivel up.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

NotJustANumber99 posted:

Sorry.

Half of everyone agreed we shouldn't say things like that. I don't actually think much else happened at all.

i only constantly insult you for being rich because i'm jealous

Diet Crack
Jan 15, 2001

It's OK, you'll get to eat them soon enough.

DiscoWitch
Oct 16, 2009

uwu

I think you are right and this is a much better analysis of it than I was giving!

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Even the radical right is still, ultimately, just a bunch of nazis, and they heil back to the nazism of the past.

The only people with actual new ideas, or at least untried ideas, to my mind, are the left coms and the gender anarchists.

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

OwlFancier posted:

The only people with actual new ideas, or at least untried ideas, to my mind, are the left coms and the gender anarchists.

This is CUKTIG erasure

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I suppose an absolute policy vacuum is a new idea yes.

Lt. Danger
Dec 22, 2006

jolly good chaps we sure showed the hun

I think it's always worth remembering "left" and "right" are shorthand and not actual political concepts, and even the referents they're shorthand for have changed and will change throughout history. We should refer to ideologies as they are, not as they sort-of-resemble seating arrangements in French politics several centuries ago.

It's also very strange to see "the right is united and works as one" when we're in the middle of the Conservative party self-destructing in a civil war between its various factions and powerholders.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

But even as they do they're fleeting to libs who are just becoming (or rather frantically rummaging through vince's sack of hats to find the right one) the wet tories.

Which, sure might split their vote, but it's not splitting their ideology that much, they would absolutely go and vote for a regular old thatcher brand of racism plus capitalism rather than maximum racism plus smash and grab for me and half a dozen of my mates at the expense of all the other businesses.

That the libs are so easily absorbed into the tory party i think is evidence of the compatibility of the conservative/right viewpoints. The problem the tories are having is really more one of mismanagement than anything, it's them not having anyone who can run them because they all got squashed after thatcherism, same as happened with the labour party after blair. Cameron being the weird blip that inherited the blair legacy.

Same with the US republicans, really, any problems they're having is mostly a result of management being unable to keep the face of the party presentable, fortunately the dems are even worse at it.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 23:38 on Sep 19, 2019

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
Putting the current political climate aside, it's easier for the right to pull together because conservatism is by nature a hierarchical structure so everybody is naturally ingrained to fall in line around whoever's on top of the hierarchy

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

That too. Much harder to build a well oiled machine out of people whose entire point is a dislike of well oiled social machines. And good thing too cos social machines are crap.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

I accidentally did a social experiment in bristol the other day and it turns out humans can't do coop, only authority.

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

Igotadigbick posted:

I just meant that we have a lot of different views? Broad church as in we have all types of people. The right usually dont because they are very against difference?

well, sure, but typically churches are places you gather where people think p much the same

also i agree that the right has another view on whether different stuff can be good, but they can only really manage to appear united in opposition to stuff. if you had a table and placed an incel, an mra, an ancap, an old eton-style snob, an anti abortion activist, a self-proclaimed john galt, and representatives of three different ultra orthodox something-or-other, what will they agree on

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Put a cage over the whole lot of them and tell them that first one to put the others through the table gets the shiny belt.