Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Oh dear me
Aug 14, 2012

I have burned numerous saucepans, sometimes right through the metal

forkboy84 posted:

The entire process is entirely unable to cope with mental health. Well, in a way that deems people with mental health problems as worthy of basic decency.

I get what you mean, but the system is actually coping exactly as intended. I have a physical health condition (which the DWP does not dispute) and I get all the same paragraphs about how I did not display my symptoms to my assessor and am therefore obviously fine most days and fit to work.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe
loving lol that liberal heart-throb Trudeau has just had to apologise twice in twenty-four hours for blacking up and has now issued a blanket "I have no idea how many times I did it" pre-emptive apology. Can't wait for the CIF pieces about how actually blackface isn't that big a deal and it's the left who are the real racists.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

The assessment process is very simple and easy to understand. Did you show up for your appointment? If no, then you're just lazy and your application is denied. If yes, then you're clearly functional and your application is denied.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

goddamnedtwisto posted:

loving lol that liberal heart-throb Trudeau has just had to apologise twice in twenty-four hours for blacking up and has now issued a blanket "I have no idea how many times I did it" pre-emptive apology. Can't wait for the CIF pieces about how actually blackface isn't that big a deal and it's the left who are the real racists.

Current argument seems to be: oh it was 2001, nobody in Canada knew blackface was wrong.

Also (megathreads bleeding over), Scheer, the con leader, seemed less than genuine in his (‘Trudeau can’t lead’) response, prolly cause he hates queers like a lot.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

forkboy84 posted:

Was about to go to bed, went to brush my teeth and noticed I'd carried a slug into the living room. And it had gone wild over a huge amount of the room for a slow beastie, leaving all its mucusy slime trail everywhere.

loving hell, slugs suck.

I remember I was once attacked by a slug.

Frankly, I was just impressed with its gumption.

Pesmerga
Aug 1, 2005

So nice to eat you

mediaphage posted:

Current argument seems to be: oh it was 2001, nobody in Canada knew blackface was wrong.

Also (megathreads bleeding over), Scheer, the con leader, seemed less than genuine in his (‘Trudeau can’t lead’) response, prolly cause he hates queers like a lot.

Also, out and out homophobes and bigots in his party can be forgiven so long as they say sorry but this doesn’t apply to Trudeau because

Bacon Terrorist
May 7, 2010

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022
Interesting piece on the Dempsey stuff in the Morning Star

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Nah, it's a load of bullshit. The article intentionally divides ethnic minorities and the working class into two separate categories when the truth is that a large part of the working class is made up of ethnic minorities and it then goes on to use this to have a go at Labour on Brexit with no real justificating link. When you're calling Labour "a fanatical party of Remain" then you're being just as willfully deceitful as the Lib Dems.

Pesmerga
Aug 1, 2005

So nice to eat you
Yeah the Morning Star has the Lexit brainworms, as opposed to the FBPE ones.

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

I think this is it... I think this is how it ends
Behold, the worst job spec in the world that I was sent actually sent yesterday:

Pesmerga
Aug 1, 2005

So nice to eat you

ShaneMacGowansTeeth posted:

Behold, the worst job spec in the world that I was sent actually sent yesterday:

Osmeone sounds like an awesome new research chemical for maximum strength gains. I’ll also be lookig at osmeone.

justcola
May 22, 2004

La-Li-Lu-Le-Lo

Last few pages have been interesting to read as I've been thinking along similar lines - I have two groups of friends. One group I've known for years, I can have a laugh with them but they sometimes have lovely views or do lovely things, generally they're quite self-destructive and their own worst enemy but I love them anyway. Another, newer group, are all really good people, they do work that helps other people, have healthy lifestyles and good opinions about things. But I also struggle as their sense of humour is quite different to mine - they're always quite reasonable and come up with other perspectives and so on. Basically I talk to them differently than I do my other group of friends.

I want to be 'good' and more like the latter group, but in my heart I think I'm more like the former group. I like making horrible jokes and watching media that has that sensibility, but on the other hand hanging around with them has made me question if that behaviour is harmful in some way (if not to others, maybe to myself?). It's a fine line I guess.

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

The extremely slick operation that apparently hasn't heard of proofreading.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
poo poo money but a good opportunity for osmoen who can get the ground running

Pesmerga
Aug 1, 2005

So nice to eat you

Cerebral Bore posted:

The extremely slick operation that apparently hasn't heard of proofreading.

By slick they mean covered in grease, so hitting the right keys is really difficult.

Purple Prince
Aug 20, 2011

"£25k is for most experienced" is what really makes me clench my teeth.

I don't know what it's like outside London but within London £25k is not that far above a break-even wage.

It's hosed that an "experienced" worker in anything would be paid just slightly more than what they need to live, but hey, we live in a grimdark hellscape where exploitation is the only law.

Management strategy: pay everyone poo poo wages and use the slightly-less-poo poo wages of the most experienced staff as a carrot for everyone else and a stick for the more experienced.

Purple Prince fucked around with this message at 08:02 on Sep 20, 2019

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.
It's better than that marriot(?) "RED" hotel ad that just makes you want to throw up

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Purple Prince posted:

"£25k is for most experienced" is what really makes me clench my teeth.

I don't know what it's like outside London but within London £25k is not that far above a break-even wage.

National median wage is 23k or thereabouts, and with a company car that's not too bad taken in isolation (depending on how they handle the tax situation on the company car), it's everything else about the JD that raises red flags (and not the good kind that shroud our martyred dead)

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Are the Tories trying to do the chicken thing again?

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

We've done this already this month, they're a fairly big London/Essex construction and demolition company, and it just proves the utter contempt the right wing has for ever even looking at working-class things that we're not arse-deep in lovely jokes about it.

dispatch_async
Nov 28, 2014

Imagine having the time to have played through 20 generations of one family in The Sims 2. Imagine making the original two members of that family Neil Buchanan and Cat Deeley. Imagine complaining to Maxis there was no technological progression. You've successfully imagined my life

Interesting stuff in that thread.

There's also this thread talking about the badness of their 'advice'.
https://twitter.com/NoraReed/status/1174523272664215552

the whole thing is based on the idea that the only people who get abuse online are 'public figures'
https://twitter.com/NoraReed/status/1174903592135749632
https://twitter.com/NoraReed/status/1174904792767877122
https://twitter.com/NoraReed/status/1174905578717499395
:thunk:

It's quite telling that as far as I've seen the only public figures they have criticised are David Lammy and Owen Jones, who they admonished for talking publicly about the abuse they get.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

forkboy84 posted:

I used to fantasise of going to London, hanging around the DWP until Duncan Smith hosed off home for the day and committing suicide in some grand gesture. But eventually I realised it'd be a complete waste of time and he'd probably just feel satisfaction in a job well done. You could immolate yourself like a Vietnamese monk and he'd not blink an eye, maybe even take in a deep breathe to really savour the smell of cooking flesh.

Really, I despair at the people who weren't horrendously radicalised by the coalition government.
Surely that depends on how you did it. He might have felt the half pound of ball bearings in your backpack going through his oval office heid.

Lucy Parsons posted:

Next winter when the cold blasts are creeping through the rents in your seedy garments, when the frost is biting your feet through the holes in your worn-out shoes, and when all wretchedness seems to have centered in and upon you, when misery has marked you for her own and life has become a burden and existence a mockery, when you have walked the streets by day and slept upon hard boards by night, and at last determine by your own hand to take your life — for you would rather go out into utter nothingness than to longer endure an existence which has become such a burden — so, perchance, you determine to dash yourself into the cold embrace of the lake rather than longer suffer thus.
But halt, before you commit this last tragic act in the drama of your simple existence. Stop! Is there nothing you can do to insure those whom you are about to orphan, against a like fate? The waves will only dash over you in mockery of your rash act; but stroll you down the avenues of the rich and look through the magnificent plate windows into their voluptuous homes, and here you will discover the very identical robbers who have despoiled you and yours.
Then let your tragedy be enacted here! Awaken them from their wanton sport at your expense! Send forth your petition and let them read it by the red glare of destruction. Thus when you cast “one long lingering look behind” you can be assured that you have spoken to these robbers in the only language which they have ever been able to understand, for they have never yet deigned to notice any petition from their slaves that they were not compelled to read by the red glare bursting from the cannons’ mouths, or that was not handed to them upon the point of the sword.
You need no organization when you make up your mind to present this kind of petition. In fact, an organization would be a detriment to you; but each of you hungry tramps who read these lines, avail yourselves of those little methods of warfare which Science has placed in the hands of the poor man, and you will become a power in this or any other land.
Learn the use of explosives!

(Not horrendously radicalised by the coalition government.)

Pesmerga posted:

Yeah the Morning Star has the Lexit brainworms, as opposed to the FBPE ones.

justcola posted:

Last few pages have been interesting to read as I've been thinking along similar lines - I have two groups of friends. One group I've known for years, I can have a laugh with them but they sometimes have lovely views or do lovely things, generally they're quite self-destructive and their own worst enemy but I love them anyway. Another, newer group, are all really good people, they do work that helps other people, have healthy lifestyles and good opinions about things. But I also struggle as their sense of humour is quite different to mine - they're always quite reasonable and come up with other perspectives and so on. Basically I talk to them differently than I do my other group of friends.

I want to be 'good' and more like the latter group, but in my heart I think I'm more like the former group. I like making horrible jokes and watching media that has that sensibility, but on the other hand hanging around with them has made me question if that behaviour is harmful in some way (if not to others, maybe to myself?). It's a fine line I guess.
I think a bunch of this is down to the internet and social media and the complete intermingling of the public and private, the sacred and the profane, the city and the household, and replacing it with a bunch of faceless chatrooms where nobody can read a room and parasocial YouTube dot come relationships.

Like nobody would talk to their parents, their boss, their friends down the WMC, their lover, their brother, and their nan in the exact same frame and way, or if they did they'd have the sort of relationship that would have Freud hiding behind a fern tree.

I guess the big plus of this is a lot of people keep outing themselves as racists when they think they're in a racism safe space, but the downside is *gestures at social media toxicity*

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Nationalised :smug:

Pochoclo
Feb 4, 2008

No...
Clapping Larry
loving helllll the sheer amount of brainworms the Trudeau thing brought out of hiding. Apparently I’m overreacting and political correctness gone wild guys!

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

justcola posted:

Spend more time with the second group. Spending time with people you look up to is an excellent way to become more like them.

Don’t feel bad about identifying with the lovely views group; everybody is wired to enjoy cheap shots and gossip and to hold regressive views at some level, that’s why they’re so pervasive. Immerse yourself in company where those things aren’t acceptable and ‘better’ viewpoints are discussed instead and those modes of thought will become habitual instead.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Pochoclo posted:

loving helllll the sheer amount of brainworms the Trudeau thing brought out of hiding. Apparently I’m overreacting and political correctness gone wild guys!

No actually this happened once and is just as racist which therefore excuses all blackface and Trudeau was just doing a traditional English morris dance as black pete and they took away our gollywogs off the marmalade even though we still let them have tim martin as a gross over-simplistic caricature of english and also let me tell you about Daine Abbotts.

coffeetable
Feb 5, 2006

TELL ME AGAIN HOW GREAT BRITAIN WOULD BE IF IT WAS RULED BY THE MERCILESS JACKBOOT OF PRINCE CHARLES

YES I DO TALK TO PLANTS ACTUALLY

quote:

One group I've known for years,

quote:

Another, newer group

justcola posted:

in my heart I think I'm more like the former group.
if you'd hung round the latter group for years and the former group was newer, you wouldn't be able to stand them

e: beaten by tacd

coffeetable
Feb 5, 2006

TELL ME AGAIN HOW GREAT BRITAIN WOULD BE IF IT WAS RULED BY THE MERCILESS JACKBOOT OF PRINCE CHARLES

YES I DO TALK TO PLANTS ACTUALLY
in good news,

https://twitter.com/DrSimEvans/status/1174946523085324289

https://twitter.com/doug_parr/status/1174937576672612352

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
The solutions came when Calder Hall spooled up 60 years ago, but lol at the idea that billpayers will be paid anything rather than the owners of privatized utilities taking more home (tell Sid).

ChairmanGoesWoof
Jul 12, 2016
How's that Extinction Rebellion plan of trusting the police working out, you ask?

https://twitter.com/samjknights/status/1174780895598956544

...not great

SixFigureSandwich
Oct 30, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Is this a job ad for a printer tech? If so may God have mercy on their souls

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Sosmoen was a good worker and he always liks mentors.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

ChairmanGoesWoof posted:

How's that Extinction Rebellion plan of trusting the police working out, you ask?

https://twitter.com/samjknights/status/1174780895598956544

...not great

Why the hell do Labour delegates need to ask the police for permission to go to their own conference

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

baka kaba posted:

Why the hell do Labour delegates need to ask the police for permission to go to their own conference

Because the police are called in to guard the conference and make sure someone doesn't bomb the damned place. It's a legacy of the Troubles.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

EmptyVessel posted:

Boris Not-Godunov?
Just like the original our Boris will usher in a Time of Troubles at the end of his reign, including four years of famine no doubt.

I got a similar boilerplate a few years back - my appeal focused hard on the fact that I'd spent all day (and the previous) getting myself as calm as possible to deal with the stress of the interview situation so no poo poo I appeared polite and friendly and calm. To paraphrase an old saw "By any excuse necessary", never give up.
fe: There you go, tell them in excruciating detail what you just posted, without the "so low-effort that it's got me ready for a fight again " bit.

Yes, there's your problem. You showed them your best day. You need to show them your worst.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Darth Walrus posted:

Because the police are called in to guard the conference and make sure someone doesn't bomb the damned place. It's a legacy of the Troubles.
Couldn't Big John get some non-police lads round to do the same job?

The press have overplayed their hand so far now that it's not like the headlines would be any worse than present if he literally got the 'ra to guard the Labour conference.

notaspy
Mar 22, 2009

Man, I am so loving down on this country right now.

We have a real chance to fix it any everyone is running into the arms of the blue and yellow tories.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
This cheered me up today and I'd like to see more of it.