Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

Jedit posted:

Yes, there's your problem. You showed them your best day. You need to show them your worst.

For many people who need PIP, on their worst day they don't make it to the assessment. To show them your worst day you have to, at best, exaggerate how you feel at that time. Unless you're a sociopath, that will change the way you behave in the assessment and that will be used against you.

e: catte

Tarnop fucked around with this message at 09:46 on Sep 20, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

BoFa Deeznuts

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

ChairmanGoesWoof posted:

How's that Extinction Rebellion plan of trusting the police working out, you ask?

https://twitter.com/samjknights/status/1174780895598956544

...not great

No but you see if we go ask for the manager very nicely they will have no choice but to listen to us!

CGI Stardust
Nov 7, 2010

Brexit is but a door,
election time is but a window.

I'll be back

NotJustANumber99 posted:

Traffic jam.

I just wanted to leave my house but realised no chance so I walked up to see if I could help. Turns our this Beemer had had its airbag go off and was immobilised, I googled, they have a pyrotechnic charge on the battery to disconnect it in accidents. Something had gone wrong and the airbag and charge had gone off.

On an uphill, next to a pedestrian crossing refuge. No shifting her. and pandemonium around school time and rush hour.

The point is that everyone was going mental with each other. They all had a reasonably similar view of the broken BMW and could fathom why everything was jammed up. But it was kicking off. People literally yelling at each other to the point of sounding like they were going to kill each other.

So I started to direct traffic. Pretty much instantly people complied and did what I directed and everyone was happy again. Angry faces with one another became smiling faces to me, the authority that was directing and solving their issues.
There's a different read on this situation. Traffic is a system with decentralized organization where cars move according to accepted rules rather than on instruction, and the emergent behaviour is one of coordination (mostly) - people cooperating. But the system destabilizes quite easily when confronted with something outside those rules (esp. when emotions are running high due to stress, that'll absolutely gently caress it all up), and it's only at those points when it needs some interference from a coordinating metasystem (here, you).

This is a very flat hierarchy, and one without domination - you had no way to actually enforce whatever it was you were doing, people chose to follow you as a metasystemic coordinator because they recognized it'd be in their best interests! Same role as traffic lights.

tldr; people can cooperate but it doesn't always work, organizational structure and hierarchy is often a necessary response (system and metasystem), but it's not necessarily a relationship of domination, also it's possible to build feedback into it

birb

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

ShaneMacGowansTeeth posted:

Behold, the worst job spec in the world that I was sent actually sent yesterday:

Many years ago I was submitting a professional portfolio for a particular Chartered organisation. We were sent a guidebook on use of grammar and so forth, wasn't quite as bad as this, but not far off!

And when I worked for a large, national organisation and we had to submit monthly figures to the Office of the Deputy Prime Minister (as Prescott was then), first they were collated nationally and then sent to the Department of *** who would "correct" the grammar :smh: :schools today: :where were their parents: etc etc.

:corsair:

TRIXNET
Jun 6, 2004

META AS FUCK.
Regarding IDS chat our ward is pushing for Faiza Shaheen to replace him in the next election, she was on live telly yesterday afternoon calling Cameron a twat so you know she's a good egg.

(seriously though she's excellent and there is only 2000~ votes in it based on the 2017 election so fingers crossed we kick the oval office out!)

Junior G-man
Sep 15, 2004

Wrapped in a mystery, inside an enigma

Getting IDS out of Parliament would make us all very, very happy.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

Junior G-man posted:

Getting IDS out of Parliament would make us all very, very happy.

especially if by some twist of fate he had to sign on for Universal Credit.

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

I think this is it... I think this is how it ends

u brexit ukip it posted:

Is this a job ad for a printer tech? If so may God have mercy on their souls

Judging by the roles and responsibilities I didn't list, it's printer tech, IT tech and sales all in one role, and for just a smidge more than I'm on right now. I'm waiting for the consultant to call me back so I can basically lol in his face

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Tarnop posted:

For many people who need PIP, on their worst day they don't make it to the assessment. To show them your worst day you have to, at best, exaggerate how you feel at that time. Unless you're a sociopath, that will change the way you behave in the assessment and that will be used against you.

Yes, I am aware. It's even part of the point - if you're so hosed up that you are unable to attend the review, they take away your benefits for not attending the review. And if you lie about how hosed up you are on the specific day, they take them away for lying. The review system is not intended to determine if you should receive benefits, it is intended to determine why they are going to be stopped.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea

Guavanaut posted:

This cheered me up today and I'd like to see more of it.

Holy poo poo this is brilliant

angular guitar
Nov 9, 2005
Hey UKMT I don't post at all any more really but I read this thread every day, I just wanted to share a simple positive thing that affected me strongly this morning and hopefully someone will appreciate. Was cycling to work and passed some climate striking schoolchildren putting up a banner. Stopped to wish them good luck and explained why I wasn't off today myself - they both understood why and we agreed it was a shame. Then one of them, he must have been about 13 years old, said "Just try and take a longer lunch or something" and gave me a wee nod... I cycled away thinking man, that little kid has a political awareness that took me at least until my early twenties to achieve. So all morning I've felt kind of nice and hopeful about the future as a result.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

angular guitar posted:

Hey UKMT I don't post at all any more really but I read this thread every day, I just wanted to share a simple positive thing that affected me strongly this morning and hopefully someone will appreciate. Was cycling to work and passed some climate striking schoolchildren putting up a banner. Stopped to wish them good luck and explained why I wasn't off today myself - they both understood why and we agreed it was a shame. Then one of them, he must have been about 13 years old, said "Just try and take a longer lunch or something" and gave me a wee nod... I cycled away thinking man, that little kid has a political awareness that took me at least until my early twenties to achieve. So all morning I've felt kind of nice and hopeful about the future as a result.

This is a cool story, thanks :)

Also :justpost: imo

Borrovan
Aug 15, 2013

IT IS ME.
🧑‍💼
I AM THERESA MAY

Has anyone said "Irritating Dipshit Syndrome" yet?

Also, busy this week since new job means people actually expect me to turn up & poo poo, but that does mean that I've gotten into a lot of conversations with academic lawyers about the Supreme Court thing, so here's some insight:

Everyone basically agrees that the justiceability argument (that the High Court accepted & the Court of Session thought it was setting out an exception to) is stupid. Don't listen to all the commentators saying it's the Government's stronger argument. Like I said the other week, it's well-established that prerogative powers are subject to judicial review - this particular prerogative power hasn't been examined before, but there's no reason why the usual rules shouldn't apply (especially considering Lord Pannick's argument that finding for the Government would allow future governments to prorogue Parliament for a hundred billion years. Also the fact that the A50 decision was also a matter of "high policy", arguably).

The substantive argument (that the discretion was exercised properly) is a much finer point. The burden of proof would be on the Applicants, but considering the Government hasn't even put forward a witness statement it shouldn't be that hard to satisfy... Except: remember the grounds of judicial review that I posted last week. It's very debatable whether exercising a discretion to secure a political advantage would fall within them (probably not), or how else an argument based on parliamentary sovereignty or the rule of law would fit in. Any of these would be a modest, but significant extension of the law imo.

This being so, the "safest" outcome politically (from the Court's perspective) would be to find for the Applicants on the justiceability issue and find for the Government on the substantive issue. Basically, "we're totally allowed to step in here if we want to, we just don't want to this time, but we COULD so DON'T TAKE THE PISS please". That's what the smart money's on.

Same as it ever was.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

The school climate striking stuff is good for that reason alone, yeah, it's important for people to be engaged in politics and starting them in school is a good thing.

Shyrka
Feb 10, 2005

Small Boss likes to spin!
Any ukmt goons at the Meadows in Edinburgh? My first protest as a habitual shut-in and it's good to see such a big crowd.

Got made redundant just now so not much of a strike but at least I'm a warm body for the cause.

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy
Had a bunch of really young kids (<10yo) protesting on our street corner this morning which was lovely to see. A lot of support from passing motorists too, though not really that surprising given how environmentalist the area is

(yes the irony of motorists supporting climate change protestors isn't lost on me)

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

angular guitar posted:

This is changing my mind from 'i'll just go into town for the thing I need and come back' to 'why not go along to the protest for a bit it can't hurt' so thanks.

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

quote:

Downing Street’s secrecy over its “underwhelming” Brexit proposals has caused a fresh rupture in the negotiations in Brussels.

The row centres on a demand that the EU’s negotiating team treat a long-awaited cache of documents outlining the UK’s latest ideas as “Her Majesty’s government property”.

The European commission team was told by Whitehall that the three “confidential” papers it had sent on Thursday evening should not be distributed to Brexit delegates representing the EU’s 27 other member states.

lol wtf. did they pitch this stuff to different countries as much better than any other country's offered, and now they don't want to be caught? straight up weird

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
It's a stack of papers saying "Dear Sweden, apologies we haven't delivered our Brexit proposal on time, it was sent to Belgium in error." "Dear Belgium, apologies we haven't delivered our Brexit proposal on time, it was sent to Germany in error." and so on.

Junior G-man
Sep 15, 2004

Wrapped in a mystery, inside an enigma

Tijuana Bibliophile posted:

lol wtf. did they pitch this stuff to different countries as much better than any other country's offered, and now they don't want to be caught? straight up weird

They're worried about the papers leaking to the press if/when the Commission sends them to the 27 capitols, which they obviously will and then they will leak.

Why they're so anxious to stop them from leaking is a different question. My bet is they're either so crap they're embarrassing, or they're a written statement tossing Northern Ireland overboard and establishing the EU-UK border in the Irish Sea.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

mfcrocker posted:

Had a bunch of really young kids (<10yo) protesting on our street corner this morning which was lovely to see. A lot of support from passing motorists too, though not really that surprising given how environmentalist the area is

(yes the irony of motorists supporting climate change protestors isn't lost on me)

It's OK to do something necessary while wishing for it to become unnecessary.

Tiger Millionaire
Jan 25, 2014

He'll eat your kids and fire your parents!
Heya UKMT, needing some advice.

Me and the partner have recently moved into a (privately let) flat together. It's one of those 2 floor houses that's been turned into 2 flats.

The floor below is a council flat and has a pretty obviously mentally unwell old lady below, in the 2 weeks we've been here she's and/or her adult son have knocked on our door to complain about the noise we make walking about in our flat 3 times so far. We work 9-5s, are not particularly loud and haven't had any guests over yet.

Yesterday when she came over to complain again, she also let slip that she's also done this with the previous 2 sets of tenants and has (unsuccessfully) tried to involve the police and council so we are pretty confident it's not anything we are doing.

I don't really want to dob her in to the housing authorities if possible because I don't want this lady to be kicked out of her home. We've tried talking to her about it, and she can't pinpoint even anything specific we are doing asides from "stomping around"

The thought of 11.5 more months of this is driving us mad though.

Aphex-
Jan 29, 2006

Dinosaur Gum
lol my company told us anyone is free to go and strike today but we'd have to take a day's holiday to do it. I don't think they understand what a strike is.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
You could get some soft soled flats like you'd wear in a sound studio if you wanted to show willing, but this sounds more like terrible building design combined with someone who's at home all day and has unreasonable demands on building sharing (assuming you're not vacuuming at 2am or something).

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

https://twitter.com/chelleryn99/status/1174987853178331136?s=21

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

Jeremy Vine was giving the ol' televised fellation session to the Liz the second earlier today.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
You could also propose writing a joint letter with her large adult son to ask your private landlord and the council to install noise isolating underlay in your flat, which can be required of them in some cases. lol if they actually do anything about it within the span of 12 months, but it shifts the onus on you as the tenant being the issue to them as the landlord being the issue. It doesn't actually change anything materially, but it might change how often they complain about it to you personally.

Tiger Millionaire
Jan 25, 2014

Guavanaut posted:

You could get some soft soled flats like you'd wear in a sound studio if you wanted to show willing, but this sounds more like terrible building design combined with someone who's at home all day and has unreasonable demands on building sharing (assuming you're not vacuuming at 2am or something).

Yea after the first time we did make an effort to be quiet but I don't think there's anything we can reasonably do within the home now outside of learning how to float. The hardwood floor definitely isn't helping.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Aphex- posted:

lol my company told us anyone is free to go and strike today but we'd have to take a day's holiday to do it. I don't think they understand what a strike is.

I don't think they understand what this strike is. Strikes are usually against the company because you're protesting what they are doing.

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

Do you wear shoes around the flat?

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Ah, yeah. That definitely sounds like a case where the landlord/council might be obligated to install some kind of noise isolation.

Again lol if the landlord/council actually do anything within 12 months, but it at least positions it in a way where they're less likely to consider you personally to be the problem.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Do you wear soles in your house? Are they protected?

Oh dear me
Aug 14, 2012

I have burned numerous saucepans, sometimes right through the metal

Jedit posted:

I don't think they understand what this strike is. Strikes are usually against the company because you're protesting what they are doing.

Unite's supine advice is to take it as holiday because of 'restrictive TU legislation'.

Tiger Millionaire
Jan 25, 2014

Nope, socks or slippers. She did mention that the council wouldn't pay for insulation, i could try going to the landlord about it but he's already shown to be a bit of a lazy prick, but at least we can tell her we've tried.

She has a personal nurse/ care worker and considering that we're not the first ones she's done this too im surprised that the nurse hasn't pushed her towards some sort of mental help for this.

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them
all my union is officially supporting is a 30 minute work stoppage at lunch time lol

Borrovan
Aug 15, 2013

IT IS ME.
🧑‍💼
I AM THERESA MAY

e: ^^^UCU? That's what central are saying, but my branch is apparently even more cowardly than the bare requirement. Really sticking up for the moderate-liberal-trade-unionism ideal

My Union branch told us that if we want to do something we should book holiday. I'm just working from home instead.

Very few unions gonna endorse wildcat strikes.

mediadave
Sep 8, 2011
hardwood floors can be terrible for that. I was driven mad during my uni days by my flatmate rolling his chair across the hardwood floor of his room above mine.

Maybe get some cheap rugs?

Gorn Myson
Aug 8, 2007

https://twitter.com/anitathetweeter/status/1174998208734486528?s=20

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

moostaffa
Apr 2, 2008

People always ask me about Toad, It's fantastic. Let me tell you about Toad. I do very well with Toad. I love Toad. No one loves Toad more than me, BELIEVE ME. Toad loves me. I have the best Toad.

bump_fn posted:

all my union is officially supporting is a 30 minute work stoppage at lunch time lol

In other words: Lunch.