Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Clarence
May 3, 2012

quote:

Ahead of the meeting in Brussels, Mr Barclay warned the EU against a "rigid" approach and suggested the final details of an alternative to the Irish backstop may not need to be resolved until the end of 2020.
So this is a backstop to the backstop?

Cat :

Clarence fucked around with this message at 12:45 on Sep 20, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mrpwase
Apr 21, 2010

I HAVE GREAT AVATAR IDEAS
For the Many, Not the Few

Things are far too cheery and uplifting round here, so here's some bitter reality.

We'll see whether those results are the same when the survey closes this afternoon. :suicide:

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

Tiger Millionaire posted:

Nope, socks or slippers. She did mention that the council wouldn't pay for insulation, i could try going to the landlord about it but he's already shown to be a bit of a lazy prick, but at least we can tell her we've tried.

She has a personal nurse/ care worker and considering that we're not the first ones she's done this too im surprised that the nurse hasn't pushed her towards some sort of mental help for this.

She's not going mad and it's outrageous for you to assume this.

You've got hard wood floors and I guarantee there's no sound insulation between the floors. Even if you think you're being quiet every step will sound like a stomp downstairs.

Ask her if you can come in while your partner walks around upstairs. You'll understand straight away. Get onto your landlord about it.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

https://twitter.com/JoshuaFunnell2/status/1174787547760869376

Spangly A
May 14, 2009

God help you if ever you're caught on these shores

A man's ambition must indeed be small
To write his name upon a shithouse wall

NotJustANumber99 posted:

I accidentally did a social experiment in bristol the other day and it turns out humans can't do coop, only authority.

(easier to quote) you invented a traffic plenary, the ghost of tito and the workers of maribor salute you

in solidarity i propose a plenary session for climate action, via drone link, in saudi arabia

Tiger Millionaire
Jan 25, 2014

He'll eat your kids and fire your parents!

serious gaylord posted:

You've got hard wood floors and I guarantee there's no sound insulation between the floors. Even if you think you're being quiet every step will sound like a stomp downstairs.

Ask her if you can come in while your partner walks around upstairs. You'll understand straight away. Get onto your landlord about it.

Yeah sorry, you're probably right.

We'll write up something to the landlord but I'm not terribly optimistic about him paying for anything out of pocket. Wonder if there's anything law wise we can do to try and convince him to get the work done, she already mentioned the council didn't want to install anything.

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

I was just reading an article from earlier in the year about Thomas Cook shares being worthless since it has a zero equity value, and there were managers saying that the shares could rise from their at-the-time present value of 20p to 50p.

There is also a visualisation in the same article showing the current shares at 3p LMBO

Oh and it apparently lost 1.5bn in the last reporting period so I'm very much not sure what the ~800m "rescue deal" is going to do?

e: added link and fixed spelling

Private Speech fucked around with this message at 12:57 on Sep 20, 2019

Borrovan
Aug 15, 2013

IT IS ME.
🧑‍💼
I AM THERESA MAY

Just popped out for a pack of fags and fair play to the kids, there's a hell of a lot of them, they're making a hell of a racket and they've shut down a main road (as in, they've blocked it, no bollards or anything so it doesn't look police sanctioned). XR flags aplenty though.

Wonder if there's anything law wise we can do to try and convince him to get the work done, she already mentioned the council didn't want to install anything.
There's potentially something actionable here in private nuisance, idk though I'm not a tort lawyer. I'd say "see if she's got any insurance policies with legal expenses cover on them & help her bring a claim against your landlord", but honestly I'm not confident enough that you wouldn't be the defendant.

Lord Ludikrous
Jun 7, 2008

Enjoy your tea...

Thanks everyone for your support and sympathy, a couple of folks sent some private messages which really were appreciated.

She’s been going out with friends for a couple of days which is nice; gets her out and about doing stuff she enjoys. Everyone has rallied around us which is nice, and folks were right about it being something that nearly everyone around you has experienced when you actually talk about it.

I think in retrospect it was arguably better we had a lot of warning signs and an idea that this outcome was a very likely possibility. I think had it been very out of the blue and much later along as another goon described it would’ve been so much harder to take.

mfcrocker posted:

Had a bunch of really young kids (<10yo) protesting on our street corner this morning which was lovely to see. A lot of support from passing motorists too, though not really that surprising given how environmentalist the area is

(yes the irony of motorists supporting climate change protestors isn't lost on me)

Don’t hate the player - hate the game. As someone who actually likes driving and opted to spend more to get a car I really wanted rather than a cheap A to B, I’d love it if I didn’t have to use it to commute and it could just be a weekend toy. It would drop my mileage by about 80% to 90%, and if everyone did the same that’s got to count for something right?

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

WhatEvil posted:

Yeah last week's one was good but they had one (piss weak) Corbyn joke and a whole segment with Professional Bellend Geoff Norcott and I can only assume both are because some Right-Wing exec at the Beeb realised that they accidentally had a left-wing TV show on the network.
It's worse than that. Norcott is on the diversity board and has been pushing for more right-leaning comedians in the interests of 'balance.' Since there are none that can be funny and / or keep up the pretence of not being tremendous bigots, he basically has to self appoint himself to everything.

mediaphage posted:

Current argument seems to be: oh it was 2001, nobody in Canada knew blackface was wrong.
I mean, in his defence he isn't well-actuallying about it at all. Look at the interviews. The press are so used to trying gotcha interviews they all kind of fall over because he says "Yes it was racist. It was stupid. I was stupid to do it. I didn't know, but that doesn't make it ok."

Everyone is so used to people going on the defence they don't seem to know what to do when someone just admits it was wrong. Also I think there's a big difference between someone with current right wing views being caught doing this and trying to justify why ACTUALLY it isn't racist, and someone who is currently generally progressive like Trudeau being caught and saying "Yes, it was bad."

Sanitary Naptime
May 29, 2006

MIWK!

angular guitar posted:

Hey UKMT I don't post at all any more really but I read this thread every day, I just wanted to share a simple positive thing that affected me strongly this morning and hopefully someone will appreciate. Was cycling to work and passed some climate striking schoolchildren putting up a banner. Stopped to wish them good luck and explained why I wasn't off today myself - they both understood why and we agreed it was a shame. Then one of them, he must have been about 13 years old, said "Just try and take a longer lunch or something" and gave me a wee nod... I cycled away thinking man, that little kid has a political awareness that took me at least until my early twenties to achieve. So all morning I've felt kind of nice and hopeful about the future as a result.

The kids are alright

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

Sanitary Naptime posted:

The kids are alright

Superterranean
May 3, 2005

after we lit this one, nothing was ever the same

Sanitary Naptime posted:

The kids are alright

The kids are angry as gently caress, and they are doing something about it.

When I think about the environmentalism I did in secondary school, it was pretty weak sauce compared to what this lot are up to.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Superterranean posted:

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

serious gaylord posted:

Yeah, living under hardwood floors is a nightmare. Might look lovely but not conducive to flat dwelling.
Carpets is probably the easiest and simplest answer. If you could get the landlord to pay for / contribute to costs might be useful (and simple for him too if he's lazy).

Jaeluni Asjil fucked around with this message at 13:17 on Sep 20, 2019

xtothez
Jan 4, 2004

College Slice

Superterranean posted:

When I think about the environmentalism I did in secondary school, it was pretty weak sauce compared to what this lot are up to.

jackhunter64
Aug 28, 2008

Keep it up son, take a look at what you could have won

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

Yeah, living under hardwood floors is a nightmare. Might look lovely but not conducive to flat dwelling.
Carpets is probably the easiest and simplest answer. If you could get the landlord to pay for / contribute to costs might be useful (and simple for him too if he's lazy).

Living above them is horrible too. The old woman downstairs from me rants about immigrants on the phone and blasts ITV at top volume all evening every evening, and the floor in my room literally vibrates from all the noise echoing off the hard floor in her front room. :negative:

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them
took a long lunch

i hope the university students do a proper strike once semester starts, its a little boring to do a strike or walkout at a university two weeks before term starts

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
I've spent the day at work reading forums and watching wrestling so I'm striking in spirit. Would still have preferred to be out there though but cause of dealing with my own poo poo this had totally dropped off my radar :(

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

https://www.reddit.com/r/LegalAdviceUK/comments/d6kd53/wife_did_not_report_notifiable_disease_what/

Just lol if this is real.

OneSizeFitsAll
Sep 13, 2010

Du bist mein Sofa
My daughter's school posted a FB status during the last climate strikes lauding some of its pupils for joining the strike. They only did it at lunchtime, so I don't think it was a "strike" in the sense that they were actually missing school, but I still thought it was pretty cool of the school to go out of its way to publically support them.

Also, gently caress anyone on social media laying into these kids. Because of your attitude and wilful ignorance the world and these kids' futures are literally under existential threat, and when they try and do something to make the ignorant pricks deciding policy actually, you know, do something, you double down and slag them off for trying to make sure they have a future on this planet. gently caress you all forever you loving excrement.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Kids doing good, but this was still the best #ClimateStrike

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

I'm not striking at all. But then I work in energy management, so I do more for the problem at my desk than I would on the street.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

Bobby Deluxe posted:

I mean, in his defence he isn't well-actuallying about it at all. Look at the interviews. The press are so used to trying gotcha interviews they all kind of fall over because he says "Yes it was racist. It was stupid. I was stupid to do it. I didn't know, but that doesn't make it ok."

Everyone is so used to people going on the defence they don't seem to know what to do when someone just admits it was wrong. Also I think there's a big difference between someone with current right wing views being caught doing this and trying to justify why ACTUALLY it isn't racist, and someone who is currently generally progressive like Trudeau being caught and saying "Yes, it was bad."

I’m not talking about his mediocre apology plane interview. I’m talking about all the political people discussing it. There’s a difference between ‘this was bad, but it was a long time ago and I feel like his apology is genuine, and we should move on while discussing what we can do to improve racial disparities,’ and ‘lol it was 2001 Canada didn’t know what blackface was’ which is an argument I see playing out everywhere including these very forums.

Guavanaut posted:

Kids doing good, but this was still the best #ClimateStrike

How dare you make fun of the Saudi 9/11 where nobody died

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

This is some real galaxy brain poo poo. Hope this oval office, his wife & his friend all spend time in prison.

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them
the trudeau blackface poo poo is so fuckign funny

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Trump's going to be so mad that the attention's not on him that he's going to do a whole speech wearing a conical hat and racist fake teeth and half of the US will 'well actually...' it.

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem

bump_fn posted:

the trudeau blackface poo poo is so fuckign funny

right? i have said to friends that trudeau always felt like the farce to obama's tragedy and welp

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting

Yeah sorry, you're probably right.

We'll write up something to the landlord but I'm not terribly optimistic about him paying for anything out of pocket. Wonder if there's anything law wise we can do to try and convince him to get the work done, she already mentioned the council didn't want to install anything.

I know that building control can mandate several mechanisms to cut down on noise transfer between separate dwellings when involved through the normal planning process. Underlay, insulated plasterboard (so things in both of your flats) but I'm not sure how this would ever be enforced outside of a planning application situation? Like does anybody know of a way that these issues can be forced to be dealt with when building control haven't already got their foot in the door and the building owners are forced to comply with their requirements?

Gasmask
Apr 27, 2003

And if thou gaze long into an abyss, the abyss will also gaze into thee
https://twitter.com/anitathetweeter/status/1174998208734486528

Efb on a rare good Lenny Henry joke

Comrade Fakename
Feb 13, 2012

Kind of bold considering that he literally appeared on the Black and White Minstrel Show in the 1970s.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through
In re rug chat, I suspect the answer is somewhere in between the two extremes: she’s probably being a little unreasonable, and you guys are probably underestimating the noise. Regardless of what the landlord does, I suggest looking for cheap used rugs (especially oriental ones if you can find them as they last forever properly cared for; can get great deals at estate sales, etc) and then get a felt rug under pad to put under them. Not only will it soften the noise, but it’s so pleasant to walk on, and still easily movable / cleanable.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!
I was pretty impressed with the turnout at our strike, easily over a thousand people in a relatively small town during off season, and a lot of them kids, all and coming out to do something.

But at the same time, as with a lot of these big protests, I couldn't help but feel like there was so much more that could have come from it. The organisers of the protest were actively co-operating with the police to stop people from spilling out of the protest area and blocking traffic, and (on a university open day) nobody was protesting, even peacefully and without blocking operations, anywhere outside the main protest area which is on a largely pedestrianised street. As I walked away, I stopped even hearing anything after maybe 100 yards.

And I couldn't help but feel that if the protest had just spilled out onto that junction and stayed there, it would have caused some major disruption beyond the people who were there not being where they should have been.

And that with that many people, we could trivially have shut down traffic into and out of the city entirely.

But if I tried either of those things alone, the most likely thing to happen would be that I would just get dragged back to the pavement, and then that I would be arrested if that didn't work. It needs a critical mass of people to be disobedient to matter, and nobody seemed interested.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Comrade Fakename posted:

Kind of bold considering that he literally appeared on the Black and White Minstrel Show in the 1970s.

Look, it's the funniest thing Lenny has said or done in years, let him have it.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting

thespaceinvader posted:

I was pretty impressed with the turnout at our strike, easily over a thousand people in a relatively small town during off season, and a lot of them kids, all and coming out to do something.

But at the same time, as with a lot of these big protests, I couldn't help but feel like there was so much more that could have come from it. The organisers of the protest were actively co-operating with the police to stop people from spilling out of the protest area and blocking traffic, and (on a university open day) nobody was protesting, even peacefully and without blocking operations, anywhere outside the main protest area which is on a largely pedestrianised street. As I walked away, I stopped even hearing anything after maybe 100 yards.

And I couldn't help but feel that if the protest had just spilled out onto that junction and stayed there, it would have caused some major disruption beyond the people who were there not being where they should have been.

And that with that many people, we could trivially have shut down traffic into and out of the city entirely.

But if I tried either of those things alone, the most likely thing to happen would be that I would just get dragged back to the pavement, and then that I would be arrested if that didn't work. It needs a critical mass of people to be disobedient to matter, and nobody seemed interested.

You'll never win anything with kids.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

forkboy84 posted:

Look, it's the funniest thing Lenny has said or done in years, let him have it.
This was pretty good.

Jinkii
Jan 17, 2011

Comrade Fakename posted:

Not saying this as a bad thing but in True Identity he was in whiteface and looked exactly like Bill Maher.

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them
man i still havent gotten word about my visa extension adn i bet its because my posts itt are too good and the brits are scared

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

jackhunter64 posted:

Living above them is horrible too. The old woman downstairs from me rants about immigrants on the phone and blasts ITV at top volume all evening every evening, and the floor in my room literally vibrates from all the noise echoing off the hard floor in her front room. :negative:
The structure of the house affects it as well, hardwood or not. Our oval office neighbour stomps his way round his house in workboots, and because our houses share supporting beams going through the floors and ceilings, we hear every thud, every slammed cupboard, and thanks to the single stud walls most of the market-trader-volume conversations about the most awful backwards poo poo.

There are ways of walking on a floor that cause less noise - walking on the ball of your foot rather than letting your heel thud down, but it sounds like the problem is not your level of noise, it's the way the property is amplifying it, and if you did cut down on footfall noise she would only find another noise to complain about like drawers and cupboards or the tv.

I would be interested to know if it'd be possible to argue that if your noise exceeds a certain decibel level in her house, that the landlord needs to sort it out: you're making a reasonable amount of noise for a properly that's insulated correctly, but because it isn't, her received level of noise can be judged unreasonable.

But then I also suspect a judge / magistrate would probably be unwilling to rule on it because then a loving ton of properties would be legally required to be modified. I'm not saying that they shouldn't, just that I can see why a judge would chicken out of requiring a huge number of slumlords to gut and soundproof their properties.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fumble
Sep 4, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 16 days!

Comrade Fakename posted:

The Steve Martin whiteface skit was terrible for all kinds of reasons.