Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

it hypothetically means carrying one less charger. instead of bringing another wireless charger for whatever, you can plug in your phone and charge your shaver on it while it charges off the plug. it's a pretty minor use though

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

Endless Mike posted:

it hypothetically means carrying one less charger. instead of bringing another wireless charger for whatever, you can plug in your phone and charge your shaver on it while it charges off the plug. it's a pretty minor use though

yeah atp mentioned the possible use case of "while you're charging your phone overnight, also lay your watch on it and charge both at once off one charger" which, sure, I'd use that like ~15-30 nights a year

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

I have a thing for courageous dongles

Sereri posted:

Do you have scissors, marker and a paper bag?

write "IDIOT" on the bag with the marker, put your phone in it, then stab it with the scissors

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

Pinterest Mom posted:

yeah atp mentioned the possible use case of "while you're charging your phone overnight, also lay your watch on it and charge both at once off one charger" which, sure, I'd use that like ~15-30 nights a year

isn't the big selling point of smart watches that they do health monitoring stuff while you sleep?

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

sounds like a solution searching for a problem

Linguica
Jul 13, 2000
You're already dead

flakeloaf posted:

sounds like a solution searching for a problem
i'm squeezing my phone to upvote this

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

lol the look on my face when my wife told me that squeezing the phone was an input method. I recoiled in disgust

though it did result in her taking about 200 rapid selfies up her nose while she was putting on a new phone case that was a little too small. in conclusion, a land of contrasts.

Perplx
Jun 26, 2004

Best viewed on Orgasma Plasma
Lipstick Apathy

Endless Mike posted:

then buy a charger with multiple ports, but i guess it would still save 1 cable

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

BangersInMyKnickers posted:

isn't the big selling point of smart watches that they do health monitoring stuff while you sleep?
not really. none really have the claimed battery life (even if most will easily go more than a day on a charge). "health trackers" have that as a selling point though.

Weaponized Autism
Mar 26, 2006

All aboard the Gravy train!
Hair Elf
if they were even remotely smart they'd just install an electric shaver into the back of the phone. that way i can tweet and shave my balls with ease!

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

BangersInMyKnickers posted:

no? itd be nice if they did though

git apologist
Jun 4, 2003

Apple Watch has good apps for that kind of stuff like sleep cycle but my routine is to charge my watch on the nightstand while I sleep and I’m too lazy/conservative/idiotic to change that

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

Gentle Autist posted:

I’m too lazy/conservative/idiotic to change that

YOSPOS, bithc.

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

Endless Mike posted:

flip the picture upside down and thats the real deal with your vampire phone leaching from every device you own to show you more tweets

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

'ive heard of power hungry devices before but this is ridiculous!' i say as my android phone leaves another fetid electronic husk

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

Agile Vector posted:

'ive heard of power hungry devices before but this is ridiculous!' i say as my android phone leaves another fetid electronic husk

lol

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
i dont like to wear watch or some poo poo in bed. i tried with a couple n i just dont like it. also dont give a poo poo about my sleep number stats or whatever.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Agile Vector posted:

flip the picture upside down and thats the real deal with your vampire phone leaching from every device you own to show you more tweets

sweet

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

walkin around surreptitiously suckin some juice off some idiot mark's phone

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Endless Mike posted:

walkin around surreptitiously suckin some juice off some idiot mark's phone

:gary:

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

Endless Mike posted:

it also broadly makes fine sense for stuff that is sort of companion devices to the phone anyway, like headphones or maybe a fitness tracker, which don't really need a whole lot of power and which might be annoying if they are dying on you away from chargers. it should be a really cheap feature to implement with a coil already in there too, so only needs to save you once.

huawei marketing being particularly stupid about their examples mostly.

James Baud
May 24, 2015

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

James Baud posted:

So I'm not exactly sure what changed in Android 10 but I've got multiple apps that have seemingly broken with local data loss over the upgrade from Android 9 to 10.

This was confirmed as the breaking change for one of them:

Restriction on non-resettable device identifiers

Starting in Android 10, apps must have the READ_PRIVILEGED_PHONE_STATE privileged permission in order to access the device's non-resettable identifiers, which include both IMEI and serial number.

Caution: Third-party apps installed from the Google Play Store cannot declare privileged permissions.

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
android 10 has dark mode which is cool and i tuerned it on =D

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
i havent fked with Gesture Navigation Mode tho.... maybe s00n.. idk

Perplx
Jun 26, 2004

Best viewed on Orgasma Plasma
Lipstick Apathy
i just noticed https://dns.google/ is a valid site, how long has .google been a thing?

sleepwalkers
Dec 7, 2008

ice cream sandwich

James Baud
May 24, 2015

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Perplx posted:

i just noticed https://dns.google/ is a valid site, how long has .google been a thing?

2013ish was when the gTLD explosion started. There are ~1250 at last check.

git apologist
Jun 4, 2003

Perplx posted:

apparently 2014 https://www.iana.org/domains/root/db/google.html

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Smythe posted:

android 10 has dark mode which is cool and i tuerned it on =D

I thought it always had a dark mode cos the display drivers were so poo poo :xd:

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

You Am I posted:

I thought it always had a dark mode cos the display drivers were so poo poo :xd:

how so?

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*
did that feature where your phone can call a restaurant and make a booking for you ever work or even come out?

El_Elegante
Jul 3, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Biscuit Hider
phones have been calling restaurants for at least a century

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

rapeface posted:

did that feature where your phone can call a restaurant and make a booking for you ever work or even come out?

it was mostly a rigged demo and not a real thing.

Celexi
Nov 25, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 11 hours!

The Management posted:

it was mostly a rigged demo and not a real thing.

it has been working for quite a while now

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

rapeface posted:

yes its been out and working fine for about a year now depending on what state youre in some were excluded

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*
I'm not in the US so I will probably never get it!

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*
lmao

https://twitter.com/Xiaomi/status/1176407548481568773?s=20

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

xiaomi meowmix

mystes
May 31, 2006