Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Horace posted:

Here's a very wonderful book. It's so big (each page is A3 size) it comes in its own plastic case with carry handle.

Inside are 800 pages of aerial photography, covering every last inch of England.

When it came out, in 2001, aerial photography on this scale was still quite novel, and it was exciting sitting around with people looking up various personal and public landmarks.

The scale varies depending on whether the area is built up or just fields. There are a lot of pages of fields.

Google Earth was released around the same time as this book, instantly rendering it obsolete as anything other than a coffee table book for people with very strong coffee tables. Not that it was ever intended as anything else.

You can pick up a copy for next to nothing from the usual used book places, and although it's obviously useless compared to Google Maps, I'd still recommend it if you have the space. It's just so nice to get lost in. Plus what if your internet goes out and you need to know what the roofs of Cleckheaton looked like 20 years ago?

How does it handle areas that they can't publish an actual photograph of?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gutter Phoenix
Jul 23, 2013

I preferred your last avatar, so I put it back. My apologies to the pedo who purchased your last one (it's always projection).

Horace posted:

Here's a very wonderful book. It's so big (each page is A3 size) it comes in its own plastic case with carry handle.

Google Earth was released around the same time as this book, instantly rendering it obsolete as anything other than a coffee table book for people with very strong coffee tables. Not that it was ever intended as anything else.

You can pick up a copy for next to nothing from the usual used book places, and although it's obviously useless compared to Google Maps, I'd still recommend it if you have the space. It's just so nice to get lost in. Plus what if your internet goes out and you need to know what the roofs of Cleckheaton looked like 20 years ago?

Those old atlases are fun to look through. And like you said, they sell for really cheap since the internet rendered them obsolete (for most people) from a practical point of view. Every garage sale/ yard sale/ estate sale/ junk store/ thrift shop/ antique fair/ etc. I go to has them, usually for dirt cheap. Same with big hardcover art books. I think it has a lot to do with how heavy they are and how much space they take up. I know I would buy a lot more of them if I had more space on my bookshelves!

How much does that one weigh? I'm guessing somewhere in the neighborhood of 10-15 pounds (or I think about 5-7 kg for non-Americans).

obscure_reference
Jan 7, 2012
I've got a few more of these old Spillanes somewhere, will have to post them when I find them.

nishi koichi
Feb 16, 2007

everyone feels that way and gives up.
that's how they get away with it.

obscure_reference posted:

I've got a few more of these old Spillanes somewhere, will have to post them when I find them.

oh poo poo, nice

Gutter Phoenix
Jul 23, 2013

I preferred your last avatar, so I put it back. My apologies to the pedo who purchased your last one (it's always projection).

obscure_reference posted:

Sweet!

pogue23
Aug 15, 2002

Son, I am disappoint.

spinderella posted:

Oh man we all are.

plenty for sale here

https://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/0307243621

Gutter Phoenix
Jul 23, 2013

drat, every copy is being sold for over $100. I checked ebay and the cheapest copy they have is currently bid at $50. I'll have to keep an eye out for cheap copies of that one.

Pershing
Feb 21, 2010

John "Black Jack" Pershing
Hard Fucking Core

Gutter Phoenix posted:

Those old atlases are fun to look through. And like you said, they sell for really cheap since the internet rendered them obsolete (for most people) from a practical point of view. Every garage sale/ yard sale/ estate sale/ junk store/ thrift shop/ antique fair/ etc. I go to has them, usually for dirt cheap. Same with big hardcover art books. I think it has a lot to do with how heavy they are and how much space they take up. I know I would buy a lot more of them if I had more space on my bookshelves!

How much does that one weigh? I'm guessing somewhere in the neighborhood of 10-15 pounds (or I think about 5-7 kg for non-Americans).

Within the last year I've really gotten into art books. I got started after I found an old table top lectern at Goodwill.

One of these things:

I put it on the dresser in the bedroom and started leaving my copy of The Art Of The Venture Brothers open on it. I've got three or four books I rotate thru...it's nice to look at good art first thing in the morning as I get dressed or right before I go to bed at night. That I can get really nice for cheap at my local used bookstore is an added bonus. Several of the one I've bought are from museums...I just know some star-struck patron paid full price in the gift shop and then hauled them back on the plane.

Horace
Apr 17, 2007

Gone Skiin'

Gutter Phoenix posted:

Sixteen and a half pounds!

Jerry Cotton posted:

How does it handle areas that they can't publish an actual photograph of?

What sort of area are you talking about?

Gutter Phoenix
Jul 23, 2013

Pershing posted:

Within the last year I've really gotten into art books. I got started after I found an old table top lectern at Goodwill.

One of these things:

I put it on the dresser in the bedroom and started leaving my copy of The Art Of The Venture Brothers open on it. I've got three or four books I rotate thru...it's nice to look at good art first thing in the morning as I get dressed or right before I go to bed at night. That I can get really nice for cheap at my local used bookstore is an added bonus. Several of the one I've bought are from museums...I just know some star-struck patron paid full price in the gift shop and then hauled them back on the plane.

I would love one of these to read my big coffee table type books on.

Gutter Phoenix
Jul 23, 2013

Horace posted:

Sixteen and a half pounds!

:piss:

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

Horace posted:

What sort of area are you talking about?

Air force bases and nuclear submarine pens?

(Although you specified England and not UK so I doubt the latter applies.)

Groke
Jul 27, 2007
New Adventures In Mom Strength

Haha, knockoff Chick tracts!

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

~Coxy posted:

Air force bases and nuclear submarine pens?

(Although you specified England and not UK so I doubt the latter applies.)

Yeah plus certain other installations of that ilk.

Gutter Phoenix
Jul 23, 2013

Groke posted:

Haha, knockoff Chick tracts!

There are more of them than you would think. I've posted a bunch of them in the Chick tract thread, although that beast is hard to navigate when looking for specific tracts. I really need to make a website for them one of these days...

Gutter Phoenix
Jul 23, 2013

Jerry Cotton posted:

Yeah plus certain other installations of that ilk.

I have a couple of atlases where the geography beneath the coastal waters is blurred, probably for national security reasons. And military installations are usually blurred as well. Google maps/ earth does the same thing.

bweep boop!
Dec 31, 2007

Nice shootin', Tex!
I went back to the usual haunt and discovered a trove of the Soldier of Fortune novels, but sadly none seemed quite as batshit as Cult Crushers, so I skipped them for now. Instead, I walked away with this thread, the book:

I'm excited to begin going through it and posting some of the gold that is contained within. Additionally, I picked up this book on prohibition, which, to be honest was only bought because of the title and amazing cartoon on the cover. I am going to have to find a spot for it on my shelf next to Rettman's Straight Edge and Lahickey's All Ages.

Finally, I bought yet another music biography/history book, which wouldn't warrant mention except for the inscription inside being pretty cute (though it always makes me sad to see a gift end up in a used bookstore):

Bonus tag with wrapping paper still on the tape stuck in the back.

Gutter Phoenix
Jul 23, 2013

bweep boop! posted:

I went back to the usual haunt and discovered a trove of the Soldier of Fortune novels, but sadly none seemed quite as batshit as Cult Crushers, so I skipped them for now. Instead, I walked away with this thread, the book:

I'm excited to begin going through it and posting some of the gold that is contained within. Additionally, I picked up this book on prohibition, which, to be honest was only bought because of the title and amazing cartoon on the cover. I am going to have to find a spot for it on my shelf next to Rettman's Straight Edge and Lahickey's All Ages.

Finally, I bought yet another music biography/history book, which wouldn't warrant mention except for the inscription inside being pretty cute (though it always makes me sad to see a gift end up in a used bookstore):

Bonus tag with wrapping paper still on the tape stuck in the back.

Nice haul! I totally want to read that Demon Run book.

I love buying used books and finding inscriptions. I see it all the time with religious books. And I see it a lot with self-published books too.

But man oh man, I'm glad you mentioned Cult Crushers, because I started reading it this afternoon and had to stop after 3 chapters because it is so motherfucking insane I can barely hide my glee as I type this on my phone!!

I'm going to bring it to work tomorrow, scan a few chapters, and post one or two a day until we all read the whole book together. The chapters are only 5-6 pages each, so it won't take long to read them. There are about 25 chapters, so we can get through the whole thing in a few weeks and dissect the insanity in full. I was gonna post it here or in the Vantasm thread, but I'll probably make a dedicated thread for it tomorrow. I'll post the link here.

It is so nutty. The fascists are the good guys and make Tulsa their holy land. Anyone who doesn't want to live in a theocratic police state are only rebellious because the KGB and ACLU have turned them against Christ by using cocaine and brainwashing. Holy crap, I am so excited to share it because a summary CANNOT do this gem justice.

Anyway, you are probably right that Cult Crushers is the best SOF book, but I might need to check out the rest too. Not sure how many there are.

More tomorrow.

Gutter Phoenix fucked around with this message at 03:02 on Sep 23, 2019

yaffle
Sep 15, 2002

Flapdoodle
Found in a thrift store in Vancouver, there were about 20 but this had the most racist cover. I kind of regret not buying them but I have nowhere to store more books.

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

Gutter Phoenix posted:

But man oh man, I'm glad you mentioned Cult Crushers, because I started reading it this afternoon and had to stop after 3 chapters because it is so motherfucking insane I can barely hide my glee as I type this on my phone!!

I'm going to bring it to work tomorrow, scan a few chapters, and post one or two a day until we all read the whole book together. The chapters are only 5-6 pages each, so it won't take long to read them. There are about 25 chapters, so we can get through the whole thing in a few weeks and dissect the insanity in full. I was gonna post it here or in the Vantasm thread, but I'll probably make a dedicated thread for it tomorrow. I'll post the link here.

It is so nutty. The fascists are the good guys and make Tulsa their holy land. Anyone who doesn't want to live in a theocratic police state are only rebellious because the KGB and ACLU have turned them against Christ by using cocaine and brainwashing. Holy crap, I am so excited to share it because a summary CANNOT do this gem justice.

Hell yeah, I cannot wait.

I don't read or post in The Book Barn subforum, but I know that "Let's Read" threads have been posted there. I definitely think Cult Crushers needs its own dedicated thread, but it would probably get a lot more eyes and participation in GBS.

obscure_reference
Jan 7, 2012

Love the cover art on these old pulps... Back covers have some great design too!

obscure_reference fucked around with this message at 15:48 on Sep 23, 2019

Gutter Phoenix
Jul 23, 2013

Pastry of the Year posted:

Hell yeah, I cannot wait.

I don't read or post in The Book Barn subforum, but I know that "Let's Read" threads have been posted there. I definitely think Cult Crushers needs its own dedicated thread, but it would probably get a lot more eyes and participation in GBS.

I thought about posting it in the book forum, but it belongs in GBS. Just like this thread.

I'll make a thread as soon as I can scan the first batch of pages!

Gutter Phoenix
Jul 23, 2013

Behold:

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3899444

Pershing
Feb 21, 2010

John "Black Jack" Pershing
Hard Fucking Core

Gutter Phoenix posted:

I love buying used books and finding inscriptions. I see it all the time with religious books. And I see it a lot with self-published books too.

I'm a therapist so I buy a lot of second-hand books on addiction and recovery. I need to be able to give them out to clients without eating a lot of expense should they mark in them/want to keep them/etc. Books like these often have an inscription, usually something along the lines of "Best wishes as you begin your new life", etc. Whenever I see one I always wonder if they made it.

bweep boop!
Dec 31, 2007

Nice shootin', Tex!

Gutter Phoenix posted:

Nice haul! I totally want to read that Demon Run book.

Anyway, you are probably right that Cult Crushers is the best SOF book, but I might need to check out the rest too. Not sure how many there are.

More tomorrow.

Maaan, I started reading Cult Crushers but unfortunately just do not have the time for fiction with the new school year to get into it. I will have to make sure I have time and energy to get though it to keep up with the thread!

Some horrifying points that really jumped out at me in the first like 20 pages include the protagonist of the novel reminiscing about how he has kept order in the world by burning down gay bars, while the cocaine Nazis have a conversation where they discuss how glad they are for UN for protecting them and making it possible to flood the world with billions of dollars worth of cocaine. Absolute loving insanity.

Gutter Phoenix
Jul 23, 2013

Crosspost from Chick tract thread:

It is rare these days for me to get a Chick tract I don't already have, but this is one of them. Here is the very first printing of the very first Chick tract:

This lovely picture was removed shortly thereafter:

Speaking of rare tracts, I finally got around to scanning The Secret Weapon, which is easily the rarest Chick tract printed in the last 30 years:

Gutter Phoenix
Jul 23, 2013

bweep boop! posted:

Maaan, I started reading Cult Crushers but unfortunately just do not have the time for fiction with the new school year to get into it. I will have to make sure I have time and energy to get though it to keep up with the thread!

Some horrifying points that really jumped out at me in the first like 20 pages include the protagonist of the novel reminiscing about how he has kept order in the world by burning down gay bars, while the cocaine Nazis have a conversation where they discuss how glad they are for UN for protecting them and making it possible to flood the world with billions of dollars worth of cocaine. Absolute loving insanity.

I've posted the first three chapters and will post 1 or 2 a day during the work week until we all get through the book together. Hopefully everyone can keep up with that pace.

I want to thank you again for introducing that book to me. I really appreciate all of the random books people post here, because there are so many great things to read and it's impossible to know about them all, try as I may!

Gutter Phoenix
Jul 23, 2013

I picked up a few new books.

This one is a masterpiece, literally one of the best English language books of the last century, and I had no idea it was ever printed with a pulp-style cover:

Gutter Phoenix
Jul 23, 2013

Gutter Phoenix
Jul 23, 2013

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

I don't know if they're putting out physical versions (I only saw Kindle) but the popularity of Paperbacks from Hell has got them to reissue some of the horror books mentioned in it.

Rhandhali
Sep 7, 2003

This is Free Trader Beowulf, calling anyone...
Grimey Drawer
I've got some oddball medical books that I unpacked.

The History of Castration is, well, about castration. Not a lot of pictures. I think it's self published.

No idea who USCCN publishers are, google takes me to a group that curates microbiology samples.

This one is legit. Louis Bakay was a neurosurgeon who was hugely influential. He also was an amateur historian.

Lots of fun photographs of old torture/surgical instruments and some very early contemporary anatomy sketches.

How to lift up a portion of smashed in skull.

Techniques for trepannation. Remember this is in a time when they MIGHT have had some opium around, maybe, but most likely you'd get something to bite on and, if lucky, some alcohol.

More illustrations on picking up depressed skull fragments.

The first illustration of cerebral ventricular anatomy.

Some pictures from Vesalius' De Humani Corporis Fabrica with one hell of a mustache.

DaVinci's anatomical drawings based on wax casts of the ventricles.

Miscellaneous surgical instruments. Some of them haven't changed a great deal in the past five centuries or so; only so many ways to rip/tear/cut/grab flesh and bone.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

Rhandhali posted:

The History of Castration is, well, about castration. Not a lot of pictures. I think it's self published.

Self-published through AuthorHouse apparently. Good guessing.

Dreddout
Oct 1, 2015

You must stay drunk on writing so reality cannot destroy you.

Gutter Phoenix posted:

Crosspost from Chick tract thread:

It is rare these days for me to get a Chick tract I don't already have, but this is one of them. Here is the very first printing of the very first Chick tract:

This lovely picture was removed shortly thereafter:

Speaking of rare tracts, I finally got around to scanning The Secret Weapon, which is easily the rarest Chick tract printed in the last 30 years:

I like the implication that chicks brand of Christianity is a synthesis with Mao Zedong thought

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

muscles like this! posted:

I don't know if they're putting out physical versions (I only saw Kindle) but the popularity of Paperbacks from Hell has got them to reissue some of the horror books mentioned in it.

There are physical versions, you can get them on Amazon or direct from Valancourt.

Gutter Phoenix
Jul 23, 2013

Rhandhali posted:

No idea who USCCN publishers are, google takes me to a group that curates microbiology samples.

This one is legit. Louis Bakay was a neurosurgeon who was hugely influential. He also was an amateur historian.

Lots of fun photographs of old torture/surgical instruments and some very early contemporary anatomy sketches.

How to lift up a portion of smashed in skull.

Techniques for trepannation. Remember this is in a time when they MIGHT have had some opium around, maybe, but most likely you'd get something to bite on and, if lucky, some alcohol.

More illustrations on picking up depressed skull fragments.

The first illustration of cerebral ventricular anatomy.

Some pictures from Vesalius' De Humani Corporis Fabrica with one hell of a mustache.

DaVinci's anatomical drawings based on wax casts of the ventricles.

Miscellaneous surgical instruments. Some of them haven't changed a great deal in the past five centuries or so; only so many ways to rip/tear/cut/grab flesh and bone.

That medical book looks amazing! That stuff is fascinating to me.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

this image speaks to me

Gutter Phoenix
Jul 23, 2013

This is awesome. It is a collection of all of Al Jaffee's fold-ins from Mad Magazine up through 2010:

I am very much looking forward to looking through all four volumes tonight.

Here is a RE/Search book I've never read, and another volume on sort of the same subject by V. Vale's former RE/Search co-author:

You can't go wrong with Donald E. Westlake or Hard Case Crime.

I mentioned earlier in the thread I'd been looking for this one since I liked the cover. It went out of print and suddenly got scarce, but patience paid off and I found a nice new copy for cheap. Hooray!

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

I'm glad that Fold-In collection seems to have each one printed twice, both unfolded and folded.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gutter Phoenix
Jul 23, 2013

wa27 posted:

I'm glad that Fold-In collection seems to have each one printed twice, both unfolded and folded.

Yeah, it's pretty cool:

I've been scanning old issues of Mad and posting them in the magazine thread, so these things have been rattling around in my mind recently. I was happy to see that a hardcover collection had been released, and even happier to find a used set for about a quarter of what it retails for!

I cannot wait to be off for the day so I can go home and look at this thing.