Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe
I know that the carpet would be wrecked by paint regardless but lol at a parent of a 4 1/2 year old specifically having white carpet installed

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MagusofStars
Mar 31, 2012

augias posted:

"he wont do anything" lol. Hes a five yr old, he'll do anything and everything you dont want them to do.
Honestly, with a 5-year old, you might have better odds going with “you can walk in there if you want, I do it all the time, don’t worry” rather than warning him to be careful.

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

Leon Einstein posted:

The answer is easy for computer science nerd. Do literally anything else besides watching anime and playing video games for fun. Also, stop acting like studying computer science is your defining characteristic.

The thing is, if he was genuinely a "computer science nerd" that would be a legitimate interest and would put him in contact with other people with a shared passion. But he seems to call himself that because he once built a gaming rig and downloads codecs for his anime collection.

Kuros
Sep 13, 2010

Oh look, the consequences of my prior actions are finally catching up to me.
AITA for leaving my girlfriend alone in the ER to go workout?

quote:

This is not a shitpost and I feel I already know the answer. My girlfriend asked me to drive her to the ER for what we are assuming is pneumonia. When we pulled up the parking lot was packed and I realized we would probably be there awhile so I mentioned I could probably run to the gym to lift while she waited to be seen. She didn’t say anything and just kept walking.

While they were getting her vitals I heard another patient say she had been waiting for almost 4 hours. I told my gf when she came out that we would most likely be waiting a lot longer and I would just workout late that night. She told me to just go to the gym and that she’d wait alone. I told her I’d make it really quick and be back as soon as possible. I also asked her if she would be mad and she said she didn’t care. I left her there to go to the gym and about an hour later she texted me saying she was leaving because she was feeling really sick and the nurse told her the wait time would be even longer because of 2 traumas that got admitted. She ended up ubering home because I wasn’t there to drive her home.

She doesn’t seem to be actually mad at me, she just said she wants to go to bed. I feel like poo poo, but she also told me to go. Am I the rear end in a top hat if she gave me the okay to leave?

MUH GAINZ BRO!!!! I DIDN'T WANNA LOSE MUH GAINZ DUE TO MUH WOMMIN!

ParserGirl
Jun 3, 2005

Are you going to be mad? You can't be angry if you don't say so right now!
(Leaves Bro-shaped cloud of dust in his wake)

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

Kuros posted:

MUH GAINZ BRO!!!! I DIDN'T WANNA LOSE MUH GAINZ DUE TO MUH WOMMIN!

She hasn’t indicated that she’s mad in any way but as we all know you can’t trust women to express their feelings clearly, those slippery dames will say one thing and do another!

Dazerbeams
Jul 8, 2009

Shouldn’t the guilt be enough of an indicator that he’s an rear end in a top hat? It’s not like the girlfriend wanted to be in the ER. It’s like people don’t grasp that simple concept.

Cognac McCarthy
Oct 5, 2008

It's a man's game, but boys will play

Getting emergency treatment for pneumonia: just another womanly frivolity

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Straight White Shark posted:

I know that the carpet would be wrecked by paint regardless but lol at a parent of a 4 1/2 year old specifically having white carpet installed

The amount of reddit threads over "I said I am/am not responsible for the actions of a child am I wrong?" is amazing. Its a mix of parent's trying to dodge responsibility for their terrible child or another adult asking if they are expected to be responsible for someone elses child.

Leon Einstein
Feb 6, 2012
I must win every thread in GBS. I don't care how much banal semantic quibbling and shitty posts it takes.

Motronic posted:

I [19F] was just informed of my boyfriend's [19M] multiple personalities. Please help. [new]
submitted an hour ago by Biased24

She appears to be dumb enough to fall for this performance, and is arguing in the comments.

This gone? Dang.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Leon Einstein posted:

Yeah, but what if you lived there? You'd just never enjoy a cold beer again at home?

That's something to be sorted out up front, not to agree to and then snipe at. Marriage isn't exactly the same thing, but my non-Jewish dad kept kosher in the home and not when we ate out, and it all worked.

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

pentyne posted:

The amount of reddit threads over "I said I am/am not responsible for the actions of a child am I wrong?" is amazing. Its a mix of parent's trying to dodge responsibility for their terrible child or another adult asking if they are expected to be responsible for someone elses child.

This one's a doozy

AITA for refusing to pay for thousands for something my child broke?

quote:

I live in a pretty small town, so if you don't know somebody directly, you're likely to know a person who knows them, and this is pretty much biting me in the rear end right now.

My husband and I are looking to upgrade homes given we're planning on expanding our family, so we've been looking at a few open houses recently. About a week ago we were at an open house when our daughter (4) wandered off and picked up this mask type thing laying out on a table. Super bright, very loud, apparently VERY fragile and pretty much right out in the open. When I saw her touching it I told her to put it down but it was too late and somehow it had gotten cracked down the middle. Now, I'm not sure if it was already broken and they had left it out as some sort of trap (because who leaves something bright like that lying around during an open house, with children walking around?), or if she did anything, but I felt extremely embarrassed and grabbed my daughter and told my husband it was time to leave.

A so called friend of mine who knows the house owner saw me there and apparently told her she saw me rushing out of her house on the same day she returned to find the mask broken. Now she's hitting me up on the phone demanding I pay her back for breaking "art" and naming an absolutely ludicrous price (think four figures). I'm absolutely not going to pay her that, but a few people I know think I'm in the wrong here. I personally think if you're having an open house that children will be visiting you don't leave expensive breakables out in the open. I also do not believe for a second that thing was worth thousands of dollars, and if it was, I think there's a very good chance she broke it herself then left it lying around to pin it on someone else and guilt some money out of them. Whose the rear end in a top hat here?

Ah yes, the ol 'Blame the already broken mask on the child that came to an open house' hustle. A classic.

Whorelord
May 1, 2013

Jump into the well...

AITA for letting my son's friend listen to rap against his moms wishes?

quote:

My son, Semi, is 11 and in the 6th grade. He has a friend/classmate, Frenchie, that lives in the same neighborhood as us. My SO is friendly with Frenchie's mom. I pick Semi up from school everyday, take him home, then go back to work. Of the 20+ days of school so far, I have also picked up Frenchie around 10 times because his mom texted my SO and asked if I could because she wouldn't be able to for various reasons. I don't mind, its not out of my way, and Frenchie is a good kid who gets along well with Semi.

Both Semi and Frenchie are into hip-hop...heavy. I'm a real 90's hip-hop aficionado so I love it. In fact, its fun for me to introduce them to 90s rappers and give them the history behind the artists/albums/songs etc. At one point in time Frenchie's mom DID mention to me that she doesn't allow Frenchie to listen to rap at home because its too vulgar. My response to that was just, "OK." I mean, its your house, its your kid, do what you want I don't care. They're middle school boys so they're going to listen to what they want, but none of that is my business.

2 weeks ago I was telling the boys how when I was in elementary school, Snoop Dogg's album "Doggystyle" was the biggest album in the country. Everyone at my school loved that album, regardless of what their musical taste was. The following week, on the way home from school, Frenchie asked me to pass him the aux cord and he threw on "Ain't no fun" from his Spotify. Classic track. RIP Nate Dogg. We all sang along (I don't let them say the curse words, its a very graphic song) on the ride home. Apparently Frenchie kept singing the song when he got in the house and thought he was alone. His mom heard him and flipped. When she asked where he heard the song he said it was playing in my car on the way home.

Frenchie's mom texts my SO, "OP let Frenchie listen to a very vulgar song in the car today, and Frenchie was singing it in the house. Something about giving up pussy and licking balls. As per our agreement, OP will not allow Frenchie to listen to this kind of music in his car."

As soon as I read that, I flipped too. First off, we had no "agreement." Second, don't tell me what to listen to in my car. Third, it was playing from YOUR SONS PHONE. So I texted her back personally, "Since I paid for my car myself, I'll create the rules on what I listen to. If thats an issue, feel free to find another ride for Frenchie." I was going to tell her it came from Frenchie's phone, but I ain't no snitch. She then responded, "Thank you, but your services will no longer be needed." Did she just fire me from doing favors for her? We'll see how long that lasts.

My SO thinks I'm being too sensitive about the whole thing, and I should have just said OK, but instead YTA because I just HAD to prove a point. I say no. AITA for allowing him to listen to the song while in my car?

This one spoke to me because I have vivid memories of my dad blasting 2001 out when I was like 6 and my Mum wasn't in the car.

Dazerbeams
Jul 8, 2009

LadyPictureShow posted:

This one's a doozy

AITA for refusing to pay for thousands for something my child broke?

Ah yes, the ol 'Blame the already broken mask on the child that came to an open house' hustle. A classic.

Shouldn’t homeowner’s insurance cover that?

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Don't forget Hitler's contributions to medicine.
Why would you expect a 4-year old, much less a unsupervised 4 year old to come to your open house?

To be honest I was pretty horrified when my mother brought my 4 year old niece over because our house is full of child hazards with expensive breakable items accessible to children.

Arcturas
Mar 30, 2011

Whorelord posted:

AITA for letting my son's friend listen to rap against his moms wishes?

This one spoke to me because I have vivid memories of my dad blasting 2001 out when I was like 6 and my Mum wasn't in the car.

If your "services" are no longer needed you should send an invoice for the "services" rendered and not yet paid for.

Leon Einstein
Feb 6, 2012
I must win every thread in GBS. I don't care how much banal semantic quibbling and shitty posts it takes.

Dazerbeams posted:

Who wants to make a claim on their insurance when they know who broke it?
Also, if you bring a kid to an open house, you'd better have them on a tight leash.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Arcturas posted:

If your "services" are no longer needed you should send an invoice for the "services" rendered and not yet paid for.

Kinda suspecting the Mom was paying for it, directly to the guy's wife, who never told him, so he thinks it's just a favor.

Talk about a hustle!

Araenna
Dec 27, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Dazerbeams posted:

The mask owners' insurance would probably go after the person who broke its insurance. If it isn't insured, then the owners go after the person responsible, and their insurance will probably cover it.
I want to know just how child-proofed they would expect the house to be. Do they think that anyone who has an open house would have to have child-locks on all their cabinets? What if the kid decided to wander into the kitchen and drink some bleach instead? Or got into a liquor cabinet and got into the whiskey? Or just pulled on a tablecloth and got brained by a bowl? I don't have any kids, but I'd think the assumption if you go into anyone's house that you don't know is that the house isn't childproofed at all.

Randler
Jan 3, 2013

ACER ET VEHEMENS BONAVIS
Does houseowner insurance in the (presumably) US normally even cover pieces of art above a certain amount?

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Randler posted:

Does houseowner insurance in the (presumably) US normally even cover pieces of art above a certain amount?

Mine (any policies I've had) doesn't. It's quite minimal on things like jewelry, art, camera equipments, electronics. If you have something out of the ordinary you typically need to name it in the policy or have a rider.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Randler posted:

Depends, for a rare, incredibly expensive piece of art, no, you need a special policy. But for a common, easy to value piece of art in the low 4 figures, yes, especially if you have a receipt and aren't trying to argue it has greatly appreciated in value.

kru
Oct 5, 2003

'Semi' lol

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Three Olives posted:

Why would you expect a 4-year old, much less a unsupervised 4 year old to come to your open house?

To be honest I was pretty horrified when my mother brought my 4 year old niece over because our house is full of child hazards with expensive breakable items accessible to children.

People love making jokes about child leashes but I've heard stories from people how they use a leash because if they turn away for 1 second their 2-5 year old would full sprint towards a pile of broken glass and dirty needles and jump it it without thinking.

Small children can in the space of 5 seconds either break anything or accidently kill themselves. Saying "oh I just took my eye off for a few minutes" should be evidence of personal responsibilty for the child's action.

Kids breaking things is as old as time and whoever is directly in charge of that child bears primary responsibility.

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

I've been tryin' to speak with you for a long time
I would keep a tighter leash on my kid in someone else's home, but who leaves fragile, multi-thousand dollar art pieces sitting on the dining room table during an open house where strangers are going to be poking around their house?

Leon Einstein
Feb 6, 2012

therobit posted:

who leaves fragile, multi-thousand dollar art pieces sitting on the dining room table during an open house where strangers are going to be poking around their house?

The people from the story. Why would you expect it to get hosed with?

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

therobit posted:

I would keep a tighter leash on my kid in someone else's home, but who leaves fragile, multi-thousand dollar art pieces sitting on the dining room table during an open house where strangers are going to be poking around their house?

Someone trying to increase the perceived value of the house they are attempting to sell

Cognac McCarthy
Oct 5, 2008

kru posted:

'Semi' lol

Taking my hip hop-loving son, Half-Mast, to an open house because the babysitter cancelled. He has an iPod to keep himself entertained but the house rule for singing along in public is "no hard Rs"

Nastyman
Jul 11, 2007

There they sit
at the foot of the mountain
Taking hits
of the sacred smoke
Fire rips at their lungs
Holy mountain take us away

Araenna posted:

I want to know just how child-proofed they would expect the house to be. Do they think that anyone who has an open house would have to have child-locks on all their cabinets? What if the kid decided to wander into the kitchen and drink some bleach instead? Or got into a liquor cabinet and got into the whiskey? Or just pulled on a tablecloth and got brained by a bowl? I don't have any kids, but I'd think the assumption if you go into anyone's house that you don't know is that the house isn't childproofed at all.

Children are like vampires, in that once they have been invited in, the parents can't be blamed for anything the kid does. You knew they had kids, so really it's your own fault, kind of.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

therobit posted:

It wasn't dangling precariously on a ledge, it was displayed in a generally safe location as one does with art by someone that does not expect uncontrolled children to be destroying things in their house.

Would you let a 4 year old run unsupervised around your house without fear of an expensive accident or injured child?

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008
Look, you left your TV right out in the living room, it isn't my fault my kid threw a brick into it.

Clitch
Feb 26, 2002

I lived through
Donald Trump's presidency
and all I got was
this lousy virus

Leon Einstein posted:

The people from the story. Why would you expect it to get hosed with?

"A bunch of strangers are gonna be stomping through my house. Better put out the valuable, easily stashed in a bag or jacket, art pieces."

literally the first Google result for "open house tips" posted:

Remove items that can be pocketed easily — jewelry, prescription medications, cellphones, tablets, figurines, memorabilia and treasured knickknacks.

Thieves like to target open houses and estate sales. If the lady's realtor can make an EEG twitch, she would have warned her against having valuables out for the grabbing. OP should ask to see a bill of sale or appraisal before she thinks of handing over money.

Nastyman
Jul 11, 2007

There they sit
at the foot of the mountain
Taking hits
of the sacred smoke
Fire rips at their lungs
Holy mountain take us away
I think the reason so many parents flip their poo poo on the other person when their kid does something unexpected and/or bad is that they see the kid as an extension of themselves (which is normal to an extent I guess), they think they know what goes on inside the kid's head at all times (usually lollipops but not always) and they've been comfortably living a predictable, relatively uneventful life up until the kid was conceived. So when the kid acts out (or even just acts really, as kids are wont to do) its showing that, no, you don't have absolute control over this thing just because you know the secret ritual that makes him eat carrots, and the panic response is to blame others and pretend nothing is wrong with MY household, how dare you, this happened because THEY messed up, my family is pure etc.

Denial is the first stage of grief. We've seen this a million times before, the embarrassment caused by the event feels worse in the moment than the event itself and the brain goes into fight or flight. From there it's a matter of processing and eventually deciding on either "Oh Jesus what's wrong with me, I need to apologize" or "Oh Jesus I can't keep up this bluff in the long run, I need a new bluff"

E: Not to mention, having to pay for something that was broken outside of your direct control suuuuuuuuucks, regardless of how it happened or why. You just hand over money to someone and get nothing in return. It throws our gratification-saturated brains into a tailspin.

Nastyman fucked around with this message at 19:45 on Sep 20, 2019

Dazerbeams
Jul 8, 2009

Might have been a FSBO. That would also explain the compulsion to use an expensive item rather than a prop.

WrenP-Complete
Jul 27, 2012

Leon Einstein posted:

Yeah, but what if you lived there? You'd just never enjoy a cold beer again at home?

I've never enjoyed a cold beer, at home or away. Alcohol makes me really sick.

And yeah, if I knew about it beforehand, definitely.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Clitch posted:

"A bunch of strangers are gonna be stomping through my house. Better put out the valuable, easily stashed in a bag or jacket, art pieces."

Thieves like to target open houses and estate sales. If the lady's realtor can make an EEG twitch, she would have warned her against having valuables out for the grabbing. OP should ask to see a bill of sale or appraisal before she thinks of handing over money.

Quite bold for a thief to walk in unmasked and leave with an art piece mask donned. Not conspicuous at all

DemoneeHo
Nov 9, 2017

Come on hee-ho, just give us 300 more macca

Take a guess. Or don't, cause its quite racist

AITA - Creative word coinage that many would find offensive. Racist? Yeah... but are we assholes.

quote:

I recently touched base with an old friend. His ethnic background is Mexican, but his family probably lived in Texas before white people moved west. I am 6th generation Texas German on one side and 3rd generation east coast Italian on the other. So super, super white, and my buddy is obviously of Mexican extract with a medium complexion. We've know each other almost 20 years, but can go months between catch ups. Its been nine months since we last touched base, but we used to shoot pool weekly for years. We talk about politics, sex, religion.

He became a grandfather for the 2nd time and the 1.5 year old and his daughter, the baby's mother, have moved back home for reasons.

While we were on the phone, the baby came into the room and he was talking to her.

With the brown face in the news, we had been chatting about black face, brown face, racism within minorities based on how black or brown you are due to white blood in the woodshed, etc.

He mentioned this latest grandchild was really dark because her father is black. He then laughed and said his nickname for her is his little [REDACTED SLUR]*.... think mariachi.

It was funny. I laughed. I asked if he'd coined the term and he said yes.

Judge us.

*edit: Yeah, this was a terrible post and I definitely should not have repeated the racist slur. I'm sorry.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

DemoneeHo fucked around with this message at 17:20 on Sep 21, 2019

Cognac McCarthy
Oct 5, 2008

DemoneeHo posted:

Take a guess. Or don't, cause its quite racist

AITA - Creative word coinage that many would find offensive. Racist? Yeah... but are we assholes.

Something tells me this guy is not actually interested in knowing whether or not he's an rear end in a top hat!

don longjohns
Mar 2, 2012

kru posted:

'Semi' lol

It could be short for Semiramis, which is Assyrian and popular enough in Turkey that I have had two Turkish students with that name. Both of them went by either Semi (Semee) or Rami (Ramee).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

I'm [23M] starting to feel like I'm becoming reckless with my relationships

quote:

In the last two months I've severed quite a few relationships and I don't know if I'm being reasonable at all.

I just finished university and as you would expect, I lost sight of quite a few people who were around quite often while I was doing my degree.

I've bluntly told two friends to forget about me as they were being very dodgy about making plans and cancelling last minute every. Single. Time. I literally told them "lets not pretend like we want to see each other then, have good one and good luck". They then answered with protests saying things like "wow what are you talking about, what are you even saying". But then again, they didn't really fight to keep the relation alive from what I can see.

I was dating this girl who after a week of slowly texting less and less told me she didn't feel like she liked me as much as she thought she would. I told her it wasn't a problem, these things happens, I told to never change and she was great and I had fun while it lasted. She followed by "maybe we won't go on an other date, but we can still hangout will our mutual friends!" To which I answered that i'd rather stop any contact as it wouldn't be moving on. We haven't spoken since and I honestly don't plan on talking to her again. My last message was literally a "good luck and hope everything goes well in your life"

I can feel my level of tolerance slowly fade away as I'm becoming more and more reactive to bullshit.

The event that prompt me to write this post happened a few minutes ago. A long time university friend (4 years) invited me to her place tonight. She said she was throwing a small gathering. When I asked who would be there she was being dodgy which didn't bother me. Answering with sentences like "some people". I told a few jokes and dug a bit more, she then sent a message saying "honestly I don't feel like doing this" (this being joking around by text) followed by "anyways, you can come at 9pm".

My instant reaction was to type "nah i'm good, see you some other time" as her attitude irritated me. If you're busy say it. Be considerate. I stopped myself and wondered if I was being reckless. Part of me thinks I'm being overly sensitive by the way people are responding to me. Part of me also thinks there's such a thing as respect.

So there you have it, I have no clue if I'm in the right subreddit.

Am I being reckless? Have anyone went through a phase were they bluntly cut ties with multiple people over a month or two? Am I being sensitive or am I being too blunt?

I've always been told that I am straightforward and quite blunt. But even for me this is a bit new.

TL;DR : I'm destroying relationships due to the way people respond to me.

Too many cancellation, not enough motivation to see me, lack of romantic interest and finally, lack of tact while talking.

Am I reasonable or not? Is this a telltale sign of something else?

He gets so close to figuring it out then just veers right into "It's their fault."