Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Power Khan
Aug 20, 2011

by Fritz the Horse
He's just setting up his late blooming rap career

AITA for telling my husband his tattoo ideas are stupid and I'd be embarrassed to be seen with him if he gets them?
Hey guys,

My husband's always been into tattoos. I'm not a fan of them at all, however he did have them since before we got together, and I learned to ignore them. He's casually talked about getting more every so often, though in the 9 years we've been together he hasn't, and any time it comes up and he asks what I think, I do let him know I don't like the idea of him getting more tattoos, but ultimately it's his choice. I won't be mad about it, but I'm not going to share his excitement.

Anyways, so he finally decided he's ready to get more... and he wants to get writing on his arm saying "CREAM Git dat money $$$" and his hands to say "THERE IS" and "NO GOD" with devil horns on one side and an upside cross on the other. I'm not gunna lie, I absolutely thought he was joking. At first I was like haha, very funny, so what do you want to get? And... yeah. That's it, apparently. I was so shocked I couldn't even say anything for a minute. For context, we do live in a more upper class area, but a smaller town, and while yes people have tattoos here, absolutely not something like that. He would stand out like a sore thumb, and honestly so would I, and while it may be shallow I'd rather my boss and coworkers not know me as the lady married to the dude with GIT DAT MONEY$$$ tattooed on him.

I was, and I admit, maybe a little too brutally honest. I told him, "I know you want tattoos and all but... that's a horrible idea. Honestly it's really stupid and immature and I would be embarrassed to be seen around you if you really got that." He told me I was crazy, that those are awesome ideas and he loves those sayings, and that he doesn't see what my problem is. I told him my problem is that that's something a wannabe gangster teenage would tattoo on his arm to try and act cool.

He got pretty upset and said he put alot of thought into this and it wasn't cool of me to tear him down like that, and even if I don't like it I should be supportive. I don't see any way I could support it whatsoever. It's a horrible idea and I am completely against it. AITA for being so harsh about it though? I just really wanted to make sure he got the point.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cacator
Aug 6, 2005

You're quite good at turning me on.

/r/relationships - CREAM Git dat money $$$

Mr. Creakle
Apr 27, 2007

Protecting your virginity

Power Khan posted:

He's just setting up his late blooming rap career

AITA for telling my husband his tattoo ideas are stupid and I'd be embarrassed to be seen with him if he gets them?
Hey guys,

My husband's always been into tattoos. I'm not a fan of them at all, however he did have them since before we got together, and I learned to ignore them. He's casually talked about getting more every so often, though in the 9 years we've been together he hasn't, and any time it comes up and he asks what I think, I do let him know I don't like the idea of him getting more tattoos, but ultimately it's his choice. I won't be mad about it, but I'm not going to share his excitement.

Anyways, so he finally decided he's ready to get more... and he wants to get writing on his arm saying "CREAM Git dat money $$$" and his hands to say "THERE IS" and "NO GOD" with devil horns on one side and an upside cross on the other. I'm not gunna lie, I absolutely thought he was joking. At first I was like haha, very funny, so what do you want to get? And... yeah. That's it, apparently. I was so shocked I couldn't even say anything for a minute. For context, we do live in a more upper class area, but a smaller town, and while yes people have tattoos here, absolutely not something like that. He would stand out like a sore thumb, and honestly so would I, and while it may be shallow I'd rather my boss and coworkers not know me as the lady married to the dude with GIT DAT MONEY$$$ tattooed on him.

I was, and I admit, maybe a little too brutally honest. I told him, "I know you want tattoos and all but... that's a horrible idea. Honestly it's really stupid and immature and I would be embarrassed to be seen around you if you really got that." He told me I was crazy, that those are awesome ideas and he loves those sayings, and that he doesn't see what my problem is. I told him my problem is that that's something a wannabe gangster teenage would tattoo on his arm to try and act cool.

He got pretty upset and said he put alot of thought into this and it wasn't cool of me to tear him down like that, and even if I don't like it I should be supportive. I don't see any way I could support it whatsoever. It's a horrible idea and I am completely against it. AITA for being so harsh about it though? I just really wanted to make sure he got the point.

Yikes, this is like "check him for a brain tumor" levels of stupid. Either this is a troll, dude is a junkie who fried his brain out on drugs, or he had a brain tumor/suffered a head injury/something. No rational adult suddenly decides to get GIT DAT MONEY$$$ tattooed on him, unless they're married and been together for 9 years but are just turning 20.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Kuros posted:

AITA for leaving my girlfriend alone in the ER to go workout?

MUH GAINZ BRO!!!! I DIDN'T WANNA LOSE MUH GAINZ DUE TO MUH WOMMIN!

I really want to see what this dude looks like because there is like no way he looks nearly good enough (physique wise) to justify this lol.

Did he say anything in the comments?

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Don't forget Hitler's contributions to medicine.

Nastyman posted:

I think the reason so many parents flip their poo poo on the other person when their kid does something unexpected and/or bad is that they see the kid as an extension of themselves (which is normal to an extent I guess), they think they know what goes on inside the kid's head at all times (usually lollipops but not always) and they've been comfortably living a predictable, relatively uneventful life up until the kid was conceived. So when the kid acts out (or even just acts really, as kids are wont to do) its showing that, no, you don't have absolute control over this thing just because you know the secret ritual that makes him eat carrots, and the panic response is to blame others and pretend nothing is wrong with MY household, how dare you, this happened because THEY messed up, my family is pure etc.

Denial is the first stage of grief. We've seen this a million times before, the embarrassment caused by the event feels worse in the moment than the event itself and the brain goes into fight or flight. From there it's a matter of processing and eventually deciding on either "Oh Jesus what's wrong with me, I need to apologize" or "Oh Jesus I can't keep up this bluff in the long run, I need a new bluff"

E: Not to mention, having to pay for something that was broken outside of your direct control suuuuuuuuucks, regardless of how it happened or why. You just hand over money to someone and get nothing in return. It throws our gratification-saturated brains into a tailspin.

Not to be all "child-free" but it is amazing how many ways parents want to dump the burdens on having a child upon society. Brats running around grocery stores, screaming at restaurants and then making comments to childless 30 something couples that manage to be both jealous of our lifestyles yet still condescending about the fact that we aren't raising children.

My god, your child does not need to go to the grocery store to cause problems for everyone else, they have no autonomy.

bus hustler
Mar 14, 2019

Ha Ha Ha... YES!

chitoryu12 posted:

I'm [23M] starting to feel like I'm becoming reckless with my relationships

He gets so close to figuring it out then just veers right into "It's their fault."

There are definitely hints in how he writes and the overall pattern that make me think he's probably an rear end in a top hat. But this sort of thing happens all the time, and if you don't have young friends just like how dating has changed, you may not see it - it's loving impossible to get people to just commit to specific plans and then keep them these days. Firm plans with a date & time are best looked at as a "really firm maybe."

He was super duper gruff with the aggressive "fine, i guess you DONT want to hang," but also actions speak louder than words - and their actions were that they kept cancelling, not in general, but at the last second. That sucks rear end and is extremely, extremely rude. Once in a while and it's not a big issue, but if you want to cancel, be mature enough to communicate it ahead of time, or don't make the plans. Don't burn multiple nights of mine and expect me to just keep trying, like Charlie Brown and the football.

It's actually pretty mature not to slip into the awkward "we'll be friends," thing with someone you were dating if you don't really want to be friends and will find it difficult for you to personally move on. He wasn't an rear end in a top hat at all in that situation, he was super nice about it. He literally told her he wouldn't be able to move on, that's fine. She's the one who stopped liking him, expecting them to remain friends is naive of he.

The last one, I don't understand at all and he seems like an extremely obvious rear end in a top hat. The "respect" line is a huge rear end in a top hat red flag as well. I'm not like stanning for this guy, just not sure if he's an rear end in a top hat in all 3 of these situations equally.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

charity rereg posted:

There are definitely hints in how he writes and the overall pattern that make me think he's probably an rear end in a top hat. But this sort of thing happens all the time, and if you don't have young friends just like how dating has changed, you may not see it - it's loving impossible to get people to just commit to specific plans and then keep them these days. Firm plans with a date & time are best looked at as a "really firm maybe."

He was super duper gruff with the aggressive "fine, i guess you DONT want to hang," but also actions speak louder than words - and their actions were that they kept cancelling, not in general, but at the last second. That sucks rear end and is extremely, extremely rude. Once in a while and it's not a big issue, but if you want to cancel, be mature enough to communicate it ahead of time, or don't make the plans. Don't burn multiple nights of mine and expect me to just keep trying, like Charlie Brown and the football.

It's actually pretty mature not to slip into the awkward "we'll be friends," thing with someone you were dating if you don't really want to be friends and will find it difficult for you to personally move on. He wasn't an rear end in a top hat at all in that situation, he was super nice about it. He literally told her he wouldn't be able to move on, that's fine. She's the one who stopped liking him, expecting them to remain friends is naive of he.

The last one, I don't understand at all and he seems like an extremely obvious rear end in a top hat. The "respect" line is a huge rear end in a top hat red flag as well. I'm not like stanning for this guy, just not sure if he's an rear end in a top hat in all 3 of these situations equally.

Canceling plans at the last minute is just what happens when you're an adult. Teens have a ton of free time, but adults have a lot of different things going on. I've had friends cancel on me at the last minute twice in one week because sometimes you just need to take care of your kids or remember that you have homework that's due the next morning that you haven't done and need to be responsible. You don't go "Fine, I guess you just secretly don't like me!" and stop talking to them.

He keeps describing what they're doing as "bullshit" and "disrespect", which doesn't make any sense unless he thinks that he somehow deserves to have everything his way and would rather destroy his friendships than have things mildly out of place.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008
My wife and I have people that used to be really close to us that never show up to anything and cancel plans nonstop, so we don't invite them anymore, or really consider them "friends". It isn't weird or bad, it happens, but you also don't have to be a huge dick about it.

Sandwich Anarchist fucked around with this message at 21:24 on Sep 20, 2019

JaneError
Feb 4, 2016

how would i even breathe on the moon?
https://twitter.com/humansofny/status/1175116516343238656?s=20

Kuros
Sep 13, 2010

Oh look, the consequences of my prior actions are finally catching up to me.

MarcusSA posted:

I really want to see what this dude looks like because there is like no way he looks nearly good enough (physique wise) to justify this lol.

Did he say anything in the comments?

Sadly the person used a throwaway account and said nothing of note with the two comments.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?

Three Olives posted:

Not to be all "child-free" but it is amazing how many ways parents want to dump the burdens on having a child upon society. Brats running around grocery stores, screaming at restaurants and then making comments to childless 30 something couples that manage to be both jealous of our lifestyles yet still condescending about the fact that we aren't raising children.

My god, your child does not need to go to the grocery store to cause problems for everyone else, they have no autonomy.

Once, while I was working at a deli counter at a supermarket, I had a mother ask me, as she was already turning to walk away, if I could watch her five year old son while she went down the street to the bank. I was in the middle of working with a meat slicer and I couldn't even see the kid over the counter. I tried calling after her that she can't just leave the kid alone in the store, to which she just waved her hand. I called the manager, who then called the police. That woman was NOT happy when she came back.

EDIT: loving Christ, I just quoted and agreed with Three Olives. Do you think a tenth floor window is high enough?

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

im very sorry for those you will leave behind

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
If my suicide note is a printout of Three Olives's posting history, I'm sure they'll understand.

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012
in the room where you sleep

#thathappened

cumshitter
Sep 27, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
I guarantee racial slur AITA guy had a raging boner typing that because he had a story to tell where someone who wasn't him said a slur, thereby giving him permission to use the n word. It's like vicarious racism.

I Was The Fury
Oct 19, 2012

Always stop to smell the flowers, just in case they're weeds

chitoryu12 posted:

Canceling plans at the last minute is just what happens when you're an adult. Teens have a ton of free time, but adults have a lot of different things going on. I've had friends cancel on me at the last minute twice in one week because sometimes you just need to take care of your kids or remember that you have homework that's due the next morning that you haven't done and need to be responsible. You don't go "Fine, I guess you just secretly don't like me!" and stop talking to them.

He keeps describing what they're doing as "bullshit" and "disrespect", which doesn't make any sense unless he thinks that he somehow deserves to have everything his way and would rather destroy his friendships than have things mildly out of place.

I'm not gonna bother defending the guy in the story because yeah he was, by his own description, being an rear end in a top hat to people even when they were actually trying to include him

That being said, I wouldn't recommend cancelling every plan you make at the last minute with excuses like "I have homework and didn't do it until right now" or "I forgot I have children and didn't bother making any preparations for their care while I am busy" because eventually most people will stop seeing you as a person to bother making plans with. Stuff happens, but believe it or not a very large amount of adults are able to schedule things and then make it to those things.

Clitch
Feb 26, 2002

I lived through
Donald Trump's presidency
and all I got was
this lousy virus
What's extra-insulting is that nobody would hear that and think Mariachi. They'd think Liberace. It's not even an effective perjortmanteau.

TheOneAndOnlyT
Dec 18, 2005

Well well, mister fancy-pants, I hope you're wearing your matching sweater today, or you'll be cut down like the ugly tree you are.

chitoryu12 posted:

He also seems to have this weird idea that anything less than an engraved formal invitation is a personal slight against him. Friends having trouble finding time to get together? Obviously that means they don't want to see him. Girl being kinda vague about a few people coming over to her place? Well she can't possibly want him there, otherwise she'd have been more enthusiastic in her texts. Dude needs to chill, he has a terminal case of "every action people take is directly about me."

Fatkraken
Jun 23, 2005

Fun-time is over.

Clitch posted:

What's extra-insulting is that nobody would hear that and think Mariachi. They'd think Liberace. It's not even an effective perjortmanteau.

Exactly!

like, if the kid was a flamboyantly gay piano prodigy, it's a pun you might think of, guiltily smile to yourself for being clever, then NEVER EVER TELL ANYONE cause holy poo poo yeah it's still super racist.

If we were German we would have some kind of compound word to express the sense of shameful pride you feel when you come you with an excellent pun which unfortunately incorporates a horrific slur and that you have absolutely no intention of passing on to the world.

Fatkraken
Jun 23, 2005

Fun-time is over.

chitoryu12 posted:

remember that you have homework that's due the next morning that you haven't done

Yeah, this is not something responsible adults do on a regular basis. In fact, it's more a teenager thing...

Having last minute extra work dumped on you from a great height by a lovely boss or the fact you work as a junior doctor in the NHS fine, I'll respect that and if I had a lot of doctor friends I'd absolutely understand that plans with them are ALWAYS tentative at best, but don't waste your friends time just because you are lovely at planning. Also when it comes to kids, there are forseeable and unforseeable issues, your kid gets sick or the normally trustworthy babysitter doesn't show, fine, but you knew you had kids when you made the plans, it's your job not to commit to things you can't be reasonably sure you'll be able to do and if you're cancelling plans constantly you need to learn to plan around the life you HAVE, not the one you used to have.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

TheOneAndOnlyT posted:

He also seems to have this weird idea that anything less than an engraved formal invitation is a personal slight against him. Friends having trouble finding time to get together? Obviously that means they don't want to see him. Girl being kinda vague about a few people coming over to her place? Well she can't possibly want him there, otherwise she'd have been more enthusiastic in her texts. Dude needs to chill, he has a terminal case of "every action people take is directly about me."

Its sort of rooted in a high school mentality, where if you don't hang out with someone for a few weeks clearly you hate them and never want to see then again.

The guy sounds like one of those "I'm so mature for my age" while in High School and now as an adult is regressing and expecting everyone to base their decisions around his feelings and expectations.

He's literally, "all day every day all I run into are rear end in a top hat. Why won't all these people just give me the respect I deserve?" Uh there's kind of a saying about if everyone in your life is rude and disrespectful to you.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

pentyne posted:

Its sort of rooted in a high school mentality, where if you don't hang out with someone for a few weeks clearly you hate them and never want to see then again.

The guy sounds like one of those "I'm so mature for my age" while in High School and now as an adult is regressing and expecting everyone to base their decisions around his feelings and expectations.

He's literally, "all day every day all I run into are rear end in a top hat. Why won't all these people just give me the respect I deserve?" Uh there's kind of a saying about if everyone in your life is rude and disrespectful to you.

Yeah, I don't necessarily trust his telling. Even his own interpretation of what happened makes him sound like a dickhead who says things like "I'm not rude, I'm blunt" when they insult someone to their face.

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

AITA for kicking my husband out of the house because he lied to me about money?

My husband hid $1500 (some insurance payout) from me and he played the whole “I don’t have money for gas” victim part. This money is not part of our savings or anything. Anyway, he had been hiding the money for 2 weeks. During those two weeks I bought groceries for us, I paid for our take out food, I offered to pay for his broken windshield, and overall I was concerned about whether or not he had enough money for himself. He saw me struggle putting to put gas in my truck. He let me pay for his car insurance. He heard my concerns and my offers to help him and he did not once tell me not to worry.

Yesterday I asked him to lend me $20 because a friend invited me somewhere last minute and I didn’t have cash. He got really nervous when I asked him if I could borrow his debit card. He started to act strange. I asked him if he was hiding something from me and he called me crazy and accused me of not believing him. I asked him if he was hiding money from me? And he denied it and said I was paranoid and crazy.

He checked his bank account in front of me and acted surprised. He literally shouted, “wow wow wow I have extra money!!!! Oh my god this is so awesome!!” And he played the whole I didn’t know part.

He continued to argue and I told him that I don’t care about the money I care about honesty. Why did he lie? and if he can lie so blatantly about this then he can lie (or has lied) about many things.

It took a whole day for him to finally confess that he was hiding the money from me because supposedly I was going to ask for some money if I knew. He said he felt guilty for not telling about it when he saw me struggle with money.

Today I asked him to leave the house. I called him cruel and deceitful. I told him that I don’t want to be with someone that can lie so blatantly.

By the way I’m 6 months pregnant with a very wanted and planned baby. We’ve know each other for 3 years.

Am I the as*hole for leaving him over this? I’m just so hurt by how easily he lied and called me crazy and paranoid. And now I’m questioning everything in our relationship. Maybe his gym sessions are time that he spends with women. I don’t know anything anymore.

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

WIBTA: Vegetarian refusing to work on meat-related advertising account at work?

As the title says, I’m a vegetarian. And although I’m not one of those militant vegetarians, and on the whole very pragmatic about it, vegetarianism is something I do feel very strongly about.

Current situation:

My company works on an account for a meat-focused restaurant chain helping them to promote their stores. It’s been a client for a couple of years now and sits within my wider team. Despite there being several occasions in the past where I’ve been asked to become significantly involved in the account, the company has respected my decision when I’ve refused.

I’ve not completely avoided the account, occasionally helping out with mechanical tasks like proofing or offering up other resources for the team to use. I’ve been ok with this level of input because it has never involved much thought from my side. Essentially, it would happen the same with or without my input so I might as well help my team (who I’m on good terms with) and I don’t feel like I’m betraying my beliefs as a result.

Anyway, due to some changes at work, I’m being asked again to take on more responsibility with the account. Initially I was asked to lead the overall account as day-to-day client contact – something I was able to push back on and convince them was not a good idea. However, they are still asking me to play a core role behind the scenes, leading the strategy and execution. In contrast to the current situation, I would need to contribute thinking and actively use my skillset to help promote a cause which I believe to be inherently bad.

WIBTA for refusing to take on this account? Some more info below to help you see things from both sides:

Why I might be an rear end in a top hat:

· I have the capacity to take this on at the moment. It would also most likely end up with someone who doesn’t have much extra capacity to support if I refuse.
· Other than me being a vegetarian, I’m probably the best person in the company to be working on this account, based on my skillset and other experience
· I’ve worked on the account before, as mentioned above, so it may look like I’m just playing the vegetarian card as it suits me
Why I don’t think I’m an rear end in a top hat:

· This is a long-held belief of mine that’s well-known in the company. It should be obvious that a vegetarian shouldn’t work on this account, and when I have supported in the past, it’s been clear that it is only in a very basic capacity and has still been a considerable compromise on my part
· The minute I start trying to think about ideas for the client, I feel this huge contradiction and can’t allow myself to think any further. In all honesty, I’d be happy if this restaurant chains goes out of business so it’s hard to think up strategies that are designed to do the exact opposite
· Agreeing to contribute to something that goes against my beliefs is the definition of selling out. Even if my job was to be threatened (which it shouldn’t come to, but you never know), I should still stick to my beliefs. Otherwise, what’s the point in having them?

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Smirking_Serpent posted:

By the way I’m 6 months pregnant with a very wanted and planned baby.

LOL what an out-of-the-blue zinger to shove at the end!

cumshitter
Sep 27, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

Clitch posted:

I'm picturing a gay James Brown in one of his more flamboyant outfits.

goethe.cx
Apr 23, 2014

Smirking_Serpent posted:

If you have ethics at all I don’t understand why you’d work in advertising

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

goethe.cx posted:

If you have ethics at all I don’t understand why you’d work in advertising

This is kinda what I was thinking.

Sure you don't have to work on the account but why are you working for a company that handles those accounts anyway?

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

Whorelord posted:

AITA for letting my son's friend listen to rap against his moms wishes?

This one spoke to me because I have vivid memories of my dad blasting 2001 out when I was like 6 and my Mum wasn't in the car.

/r/relationships - Something about giving up pussy and licking balls

StupidSexyVaultGuy
Jul 26, 2003

Smirking_Serpent posted:

As the title says, I’m a vegetarian. And although I’m not one of those militant vegetarians, and on the whole very pragmatic about it, vegetarianism is something I do feel very strongly about.

Current situation:

My company works on an account for a meat-focused restaurant chain helping them to promote their stores. It’s been a client for a couple of years now and sits within my wider team. Despite there being several occasions in the past where I’ve been asked to become significantly involved in the account, the company has respected my decision when I’ve refused.

I’ve not completely avoided the account, occasionally helping out with mechanical tasks like proofing or offering up other resources for the team to use. I’ve been ok with this level of input because it has never involved much thought from my side. Essentially, it would happen the same with or without my input so I might as well help my team (who I’m on good terms with) and I don’t feel like I’m betraying my beliefs as a result.

Anyway, due to some changes at work, I’m being asked again to take on more responsibility with the account. Initially I was asked to lead the overall account as day-to-day client contact – something I was able to push back on and convince them was not a good idea. However, they are still asking me to play a core role behind the scenes, leading the strategy and execution. In contrast to the current situation, I would need to contribute thinking and actively use my skillset to help promote a cause which I believe to be inherently bad.

WIBTA for refusing to take on this account? Some more info below to help you see things from both sides:

Why I might be an rear end in a top hat:

· I have the capacity to take this on at the moment. It would also most likely end up with someone who doesn’t have much extra capacity to support if I refuse.
· Other than me being a vegetarian, I’m probably the best person in the company to be working on this account, based on my skillset and other experience
· I’ve worked on the account before, as mentioned above, so it may look like I’m just playing the vegetarian card as it suits me
Why I don’t think I’m an rear end in a top hat:

· This is a long-held belief of mine that’s well-known in the company. It should be obvious that a vegetarian shouldn’t work on this account, and when I have supported in the past, it’s been clear that it is only in a very basic capacity and has still been a considerable compromise on my part
· The minute I start trying to think about ideas for the client, I feel this huge contradiction and can’t allow myself to think any further. In all honesty, I’d be happy if this restaurant chains goes out of business so it’s hard to think up strategies that are designed to do the exact opposite
· Agreeing to contribute to something that goes against my beliefs is the definition of selling out. Even if my job was to be threatened (which it shouldn’t come to, but you never know), I should still stick to my beliefs. Otherwise, what’s the point in having them?

FWIW, I don't think Chik-fil-A's all that great either, fam.

I Was The Fury
Oct 19, 2012

Always stop to smell the flowers, just in case they're weeds

Smirking_Serpent posted:

My husband hid $1500 (some insurance payout) from me and he played the whole “I don’t have money for gas” victim part. This money is not part of our savings or anything. Anyway, he had been hiding the money for 2 weeks. During those two weeks I bought groceries for us, I paid for our take out food, I offered to pay for his broken windshield, and overall I was concerned about whether or not he had enough money for himself. He saw me struggle putting to put gas in my truck. He let me pay for his car insurance. He heard my concerns and my offers to help him and he did not once tell me not to worry.

Yesterday I asked him to lend me $20 because a friend invited me somewhere last minute and I didn’t have cash. He got really nervous when I asked him if I could borrow his debit card. He started to act strange. I asked him if he was hiding something from me and he called me crazy and accused me of not believing him. I asked him if he was hiding money from me? And he denied it and said I was paranoid and crazy.

He checked his bank account in front of me and acted surprised. He literally shouted, “wow wow wow I have extra money!!!! Oh my god this is so awesome!!” And he played the whole I didn’t know part.

He continued to argue and I told him that I don’t care about the money I care about honesty. Why did he lie? and if he can lie so blatantly about this then he can lie (or has lied) about many things.

It took a whole day for him to finally confess that he was hiding the money from me because supposedly I was going to ask for some money if I knew. He said he felt guilty for not telling about it when he saw me struggle with money.

Today I asked him to leave the house. I called him cruel and deceitful. I told him that I don’t want to be with someone that can lie so blatantly.

By the way I’m 6 months pregnant with a very wanted and planned baby. We’ve know each other for 3 years.

Am I the as*hole for leaving him over this? I’m just so hurt by how easily he lied and called me crazy and paranoid. And now I’m questioning everything in our relationship. Maybe his gym sessions are time that he spends with women. I don’t know anything anymore.

"That money-grubbing WHORE just wants to ask to have some of my money!"
-a guy who is stashing $1500 in secret so that his pregnant wife has to pay his bills

Leon Einstein
Feb 6, 2012
I must win every thread in GBS. I don't care how much banal semantic quibbling and shitty posts it takes.
Those two need to combine their finances with a baby coming. That behavior is weird.

Clitch
Feb 26, 2002

I lived through
and all I got was
this lousy virus

Leon Einstein posted:

Those two need to combine their finances with a baby coming. That behavior is weird.

We keep separate bank accounts, but our secret is not being assholes to each other.

Leon Einstein
Feb 6, 2012
I must win every thread in GBS. I don't care how much banal semantic quibbling and shitty posts it takes.

Clitch posted:

We keep separate bank accounts, but our secret is not being assholes to each other.
So do you go dutch on the baby bills?

McGurk
Oct 20, 2004

Cuz life sucks, kids. Get it while you can.

I’m really curious as to what the $1500 insurance payout is for. Is he pocketing the money for car repairs?

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

StupidSexyVaultGuy posted:

FWIW, I don't think Chik-fil-A's all that great either, fam.

It's funnier if you assume it's Arby's

Clitch
Feb 26, 2002

I lived through
and all I got was
this lousy virus

Leon Einstein posted:

So do you go dutch on the baby bills?

No. I pay for her birth control, and she buys the dog food. It's working out great.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Don't forget Hitler's contributions to medicine.

Clitch posted:

Same, we split household bills up, we will Apple Pay each other money for larger shared expenses, otherwise we just take turns.

It has nothing to do with privacy, it just removes any guilt if want to spent money on something objectively wasteful. It's not our money I am spending on a new Apple Watch, it's my money.

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

In my first marriage we had separate accounts and a joint account. We contributed equally to the joint account and paid bills from there but had our own money as well.

Finances aren't what killed the marriage, that part worked fine. I think it's a good model of both partners earn money.

Are joint accounts common outside the US? My current non US wife thinks the concept is weird.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

AITA for disinviting my brother in law from thanksgiving because he conceal carries?

It came to my attention last year that my brother in law conceal carries.

He has never served in the military and he’s not in law enforcement.

I don’t have a thing against all people who conceal carry. Just my brother in law specifically, because I know him. He isn’t the sharpest tack in the box, he drinks heavily, and he has a short temper.

We don’t live in an even remotely dangerous area and no one has taken a hit out on him. He doesn’t have enemies or anything from his job. He’s a construction worker.

I don’t care what he does in his own house, but I have three young and inquisitive kids.

I’m very uncomfortable that he has a gun in our house and I told him I’d really rather he not bring it when he visits.

We argued about it back and forth and he basically said “what business of yours is it if I carry a gun” and I said “in general it’s absolutely none of my business, but in my house it is.”

We reached a dead end and I told them if he couldn’t come to our house two hours without the gun that we couldn’t host him for thanksgiving anymore.

The family has become remarkably divided over this, with basically half saying “it’s his house, if he doesn’t want a guy bringing a gun in it, that’s his prerogative” and the other saying “he’s an adult you can’t tell him what to do.”

I don’t want to fracture the family during the holidays if I’m truly overreacting, but on the other hand, he’s a heavy drinker and has a short temper and I will never feel totally comfortable with him having a gun in my home.